Photo
- - - - -

Let's talk about looking good

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Declmem

• 315 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:23 PM

OK, so most of us here wouldn't mind extending our lifespan.

How about looking good while we do it?

I'm talking about maintaining elastin levels in the skin, muscle tone, hair color, and so on.

The two most important factors, in my view, are:

- Stay out of the sun

- Don't smoke

Let's see if we can all become centenarians that look like we're only 60 :)

#2 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:25 PM

Crap, posted in the wrong forum. Can we move to the supplements forum?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Solarclimax

• 209 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

There's a nootropic for this ?
Don't watch soaps < this will delay any onset of dementia by at least 10 years for every episode NOT watched.
Yes that means most people have all re... yep

Edited by Solarclimax, 20 October 2010 - 08:34 PM.

#4 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

Automatic message

This topic has been moved from "Bioscience, Health & Nutrition -> Supplements -> Nootropics" to "Bioscience, Health & Nutrition -> Lifestyle -> Skin & Hair".

#5 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:15 PM

Looking good is way more than skin and hair. Posture, body language and how you dress for instance all strike me as very relevant.

#6 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:10 AM

Looking good is way more than skin and hair. Posture, body language and how you dress for instance all strike me as very relevant.

+ most other anti-aging measures practised around this forum will have knock-on effects on looks/skin health. Every part of the equation needs to be addressed. Retinoids and La Roche-Posay Sunscreen won't make up for a shit diet.

#7 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:16 AM

Only in the civilized world does how you dress play a role in 'looking good'. If you can't look good without clothes then it is just a costume that makes you look good and the more sophisticated fashion oriented aspect of our beings that is feigning attraction to a sort of gift wrapping, without the actual gift measuring up.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#8 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

OK, so most of us here wouldn't mind extending our lifespan.

How about looking good while we do it?

I'm talking about maintaining elastin levels in the skin, muscle tone, hair color, and so on.

The two most important factors, in my view, are:

- Stay out of the sun

- Don't smoke

Let's see if we can all become centenarians that look like we're only 60 :)

Keep your poker face on, too much frowning or smiling will give you wrinkles.

Get your teeth done, a good set of teeth can really make a difference to your overall look.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#9 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:39 PM

Do people really try to limit their facial expressions and stifle their emotional reactions in order to prevent wrinkles? That sounds like such a sad way to live.
  • like x 1

#10 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

Any thoughts on maintaining elastin levels in the skin?

#11 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:07 PM

The usual suspects: loads of fruits and vegetables, some raw, some cooked; drink green tea, white tea and evidently without milk; swallow some wine, not too much, some dark chocolate, just a leeeeeeetle; wear a hipster hat, don't try so hard with the shoes, avoid direct sun, use sunscreen, or not, oh christ panic about your blood levels of vitamin D; thank your parents, or maybe curse; smile, frown every now and then; there's yoga; there's get out in the woods in your chucks and walk around in the trees and listen to a screaming hawk; read Neruda, god help you stay away from Derrida, he'll eat holes in your language; burp, stare at campfire flames; would you please get some sleep; would you please, when you're sick, don't go to work or hang out much touching stuff, sneezing in public; every now and then just shut your mouth for a few days and try listening, and, um, meditation helps maintain elastin levels in the skin; don't forget the goddamned omega-3s until the evidence decides to point elsewhere to different bank accounts and all stuff you once did turns out to be wrong, wrong, wrong, and how could anyone ever have believed that shite; return to staring at stars, leaf twigs, they are swirling meaninglessly all around and, hopefully, forever seen from within your flawless skin.
  • like x 4

#12 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

Do people really try to limit their facial expressions and stifle their emotional reactions in order to prevent wrinkles? That sounds like such a sad way to live.

People hae done crazier things to stay beautiful. That is how botox works.

#13 infinityXme

• 51 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:58 AM

I understand we are more as humans than how we look. But when discussing the topic of longevity and immortality, I think one's physical appearance is very important because others treat you better if you are well groomed, well dressed, and young looking. This, in turn, increases a person's confidence, boosts self esteem and reduces stress. I think stress ages a person worse than just about anything else and contributes to serious health issues, like heart conditions and even cancer. So, for this reason I want to look as young a beautiful as I can and as trivial as it may sound to others, physical appearance does matter considerably.

#14 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:31 AM

I understand we are more as humans than how we look. But when discussing the topic of longevity and immortality, I think one's physical appearance is very important because others treat you better if you are well groomed, well dressed, and young looking. This, in turn, increases a person's confidence, boosts self esteem and reduces stress. I think stress ages a person worse than just about anything else and contributes to serious health issues, like heart conditions and even cancer. So, for this reason I want to look as young a beautiful as I can and as trivial as it may sound to others, physical appearance does matter considerably.

Intelligent and deep thinking on in this part of the forum?

Weird :S .
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 2

#15 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:07 AM

While what you say is *partly* true it does nothing to address the real problem most people have. Which is that we cannot seem to get past the surface layer. We, as a species, have alot of evolving left to do. I admit I am no better than anyone else with respect to not being able to fully surpass the guise of appearance (I refuse to date a 'fat' girl for example). But I understand that if we are dealing with an incomplete picture, we might as well not date at all. What I mean by 'incomplete picture' is someone who is ONLY externally attractive and has no compensating qualities at all. Too many females dumb themselves down for the sake of social peacocking. I ask, where does this get you in the end really? Not very far. A 'two steps forward, three steps back' scenario for sure.

Edited by TheFountain, 26 October 2010 - 04:08 AM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#16 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

Haha, which cretin is down-grading my posts. Show yourself cretin. Don't be afraid.
  • like x 3
  • dislike x 3

#17 infinityXme

• 51 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:19 PM

While what you say is *partly* true it does nothing to address the real problem most people have. Which is that we cannot seem to get past the surface layer. We, as a species, have alot of evolving left to do. I admit I am no better than anyone else with respect to not being able to fully surpass the guise of appearance (I refuse to date a 'fat' girl for example). But I understand that if we are dealing with an incomplete picture, we might as well not date at all. What I mean by 'incomplete picture' is someone who is ONLY externally attractive and has no compensating qualities at all. Too many females dumb themselves down for the sake of social peacocking. I ask, where does this get you in the end really? Not very far. A 'two steps forward, three steps back' scenario for sure.

I agree. We do have a lot of evolving to do as a species.

#18 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:49 AM

Haha, which cretin is down-grading my posts. Show yourself cretin. Don't be afraid.

Yeh I am a bit over this post voting thing. Hundreds of people could see your comment and have no problem but one idiot who doesn't understand sarcasm has the power to send a strong signal (big red -1) to future readers that your post is not a useful contribution.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#19 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:11 AM

And while my girlfriend is a very intelligent human being I must admit that if she was not physically attractive I would probably not have dated her. On the other hand if she were only pretty and did not possess the inner qualities she does I also would not have dated her. I need both beauty and brains. Bottom line.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#20 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:12 AM

Yeh I am a bit over this post voting thing. Hundreds of people could see your comment and have no problem but one idiot who doesn't understand sarcasm has the power to send a strong signal (big red -1) to future readers that your post is not a useful contribution.

At the same time if people are so weak minded as to believe that someone elses opinion should carve your own then they aren't going to get it to begin with.

#21 infinityXme

• 51 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:20 AM

And while my girlfriend is a very intelligent human being I must admit that if she was not physically attractive I would probably not have dated her. On the other hand if she were only pretty and did not possess the inner qualities she does I also would not have dated her. I need both beauty and brains. Bottom line.

I think most of us feel this way about our S.O. It's the ideal to have a partner who is both sexually and intellectually stimulating.

#22 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:27 AM

I think most of us feel this way about our S.O. It's the ideal to have a partner who is both sexually and intellectually stimulating.

Which is a very rare thing unfortunately, and I do feel lucky for obtaining it in someone. It just seems that there is a regulatory effect in society whereby the prettier most girls are, the dumber they behave, and the fatter and uglier they are the more they pursue intellectual goals. The worst part about it is the pretty ones are not all stupid, they just feign stupidity because they register in their minds that this is what will get them somewhere in society. And the fat ones, well, they can certainly choose not to be fat. As cold as it sounds.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#23 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:24 AM

Don't let excess fat accumulate on your body. Work out to develop some muscles, especially if you're a man (skinny fat people look terrible!).

#24 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:27 AM

Being fat and being ugly are two completely different things. We can affect our bodyweight through choices, but there's not much you can do if your face looks hideous (other than surgery, but it's doubtful you'll come out as Johnny Depp).

Thus, being fat also tells you something about one's personality. I feel no guilt about not being attracted to fat chicks, for example. The fatness is a reflection of what goes on in their brain. On the other hand, I would have a more difficult time with myself if I couldn't see through the "outer shell" in cases where the outer shell is not a matter of choice. Obviously, since my genes are hardwired to look for physical beauty, it's very difficult to override them, but that doesn't mean I don't see it as a goal worth pursuing.

In the future, where everyone can *look* good, it will be the brain that matters.
  • like x 1

#25 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:39 AM

Don't let excess fat accumulate on your body. Work out to develop some muscles, especially if you're a man (skinny fat people look terrible!).

I agree, nothing worse than skinny fat. Guy or girl. Get some darn shape.
  • dislike x 1

#26 infinityXme

• 51 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:59 PM

WHAT is skinny fat? I've never heard this before.

#27 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:00 PM

People who don't exercise but diet a lot can end up very thin & flabby, i.e. with no muscles at all, just soft tissue.

Edited by platypus, 04 November 2010 - 04:00 PM.

#28 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:25 PM

Most human beings do not have absurdly ugly faces, unless they are fat or deformed (yes, fat and ugly are interchangeable in some cases, as fat adds a bit of ugly to the face IMO). And most girls I know who many would consider 'hot' are actually very average looking beneath the make up and hair they use to augment their appearance. Ever seen one of those really 'hot' girls after waking up in the morning, with their hair up and absolutely no make up? Yea, they aren't that 'hot' at that moment. It is a long process for many of them to become 'hot'. Shave their heads and prohibit them from wearing any make up at all and you will see which ones are truly beautiful. Of course I do not really condone the latter, just making a point that flies over many peoples heads.

#29 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:27 PM

People who don't exercise but diet a lot can end up very thin & flabby, i.e. with no muscles at all, just soft tissue.

I thought being skinny fat had alot to do with diet too. People who have diets which contribute to insulin response and subsequent fat storage, etc. The typical american/western diet, that is.

#30 infinityXme

• 51 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:30 PM

Ah,I understand now. But, dieting without exercising seems counterintuitive though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users