• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Why do so many guys have a hard time doing pull ups?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:02 AM

One time I saw a guy who can bench press over 300 pounds try to do a single pull up. Couldn't do it. Meanwhile a much smaller/weaker guy could do 15 in a row. I myself can do a few before becoming extremely tired and weak feeling (about 8-10) but I was interested in knowing why so many have a hard time with it? I know it's not a strength issue because (as noted above) I have seen guys who lift extremely heavy weights who cannot do a single one. Is it psychological? Any insights?

Edited by TheFountain, 12 December 2010 - 02:03 AM.

#2 Ace of Zardoz

• 35 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:54 AM

Theyre not training the right muscles to perform the exercise is the general issue. Another issue is that they may train the muscles involved but not enough to support a bulky frame throughout the exercise in the case of heavily muscled individuals.

It sounds like the guy might not have been training in a way that would train the muscles to be able to properly complete the exercise as is often the case. Many train their muscles for cosmetics but not functional strength. Most Ive known seem to focus purely on aesthetic exercises or are just looking to bulk up period. Functional training is exercising in a way to contribute to better, more efficient and safer performance of real world activities or movements.

Unless someone does serious work with lat-bar pulldowns or bent over rows theyre not likely going to be able to do many pull ups if any. Heavy weight training only trains strength in the muscles work, in the mannered worked (ie push/pull exercises). So if someone's routine isnt well rounded which is often the case, the above scenario with not being able to do one pull up occurs no matter how much they can bench or squat or etc.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 motif

• 107 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:24 PM

Theyre not training the right muscles to perform the exercise is the general issue.

exactly, completely different muscles are involved in pull outs then in push-ups or bench press out.
In addition these muscles are mostly forearm, arm muscles and even hands/fingers which are way weaker then shoulder muscles more involved i push ups. Physics comes here as well and Newtons laws :) What is easier push the car or pull :cool:
when you push you whole body helps, in pulls your body works against...

Edited by motif, 12 December 2010 - 12:30 PM.

#4 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:58 PM

I'd say it's because they haven't done them long enough. I have a few friends, who can hardly do a set of pull ups, though they can bench a lot (for ex), due to a natural benching strenght, or due to hormones they are on (and pull ups is one of these exrcises where hormones won't help drastically, I noticed).
As for myself - I've been doing pull ups for 10+years. Started when I was a teenager and could do a single repetition (friend would lift me and I'd do the negative part) and now I can do 8 strict reps with a 55lb hanging on my belt in addition to my overall a lot heavier weight then when I started. So I'd say - practice makes perfect hehe..

#5 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

A few things:

1. A smaller guy has less weight to lift. So given equal conditioning at pullups (lets say none), a smaller guy will be able to lift his body weight more than the bigger guy.

2. Even comparing pullups from one person to the next cannot be done accurately given the propensity of some people to use more total body than others. For example, I can do 15 dead hang pullups ...but if I 'kip', I can do slightly more than double that. Arguments can be made for both, personally ...I do dead hangs for the sake of having a solid baseline to measure improvement with HOWEVER the 'kip' method actually employs more body movement and overall functional strength.

#6 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:33 PM

Strength to weight ratio. I bet the 300 lb bench press guy that can't do many pullups, can't do many pushups either.

At 185 lbs body weight I can do 12 pullups. at 180 lbs body weight I can do 15. at 175 lbs I can do 18. (roughly, I really don't know exactly how many pullups I can do, I generally don't do pullups to the end of my work out after I am fatigued)

Also, the width and angle one places ones hands greatly influences the number of pullups one can do.

The typical climber type has a BMI of about 21

Edited by JohnD60, 13 December 2010 - 04:44 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 kenny001

• 63 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:18 AM

generally speaking, if they can do the good trainning for it, they will do it better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users