• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Supplements that increase sleep QUALITY?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 FadingGlow

• Topic Starter
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:48 AM

If your just going to talk about heroin/benzo addiction/withdrawel GTFO outta my thread and go to http://bluelight.ru
Thanks.

Why don't you GTFO of your own ***hole and learn to have a discussion?

And ffs you didn't even see my recommendation for benfiotiamine.

Because your high-jacking my thread. Stop wasting everyones time.

It's not your thread, just one you have started, and you're the one derailing it.

Whatever!!! Stay on topic or its pointless.

#32 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:51 AM

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Gabapentin - It seems that gabapentin "halts the formation of new synapses" - That doesn't sound good, nor does the linked research article...

If you read the article associated with that part of the wiki you will see that gabapentin is LESS likely to impede synapse formation in adults.

http://med.stanford....gabapentin.html

It was already known that alpha2delta-1 is the neuronal receptor for gabapentin, one of the world’s most widely administered medications. Gabapentin is often prescribed for epilepsy and chronic pain, and its off-label use for other indications is widespread. Up to now, the molecular mechanism of gabapentin’s action — what, exactly, it’s doing to counter seizures or chronic pain — was unknown. But both syndromes may involve excessive numbers of synaptic connections in local areas of the brain.

In their new study, Barres and his colleagues found that when gabapentin was administered in developing mice, it bound to alpha2delta-1, preventing thrombospondin from binding to the receptor and, in turn, impeding synapse formation. Likewise, by blocking thrombosponin, gabapentin may reduce excess synapse formation in vulnerable areas of the human brain.

Barres noted that he and his colleagues found that gabapentin does not dissolve pre-existing synapses, but only prevents formation of new ones. That greatly diminishes gabapentin’s potential danger to adults. In mature human brains, astrocytes ordinarily produce very little thrombospondin, and adult neurons don’t form many new synapses, although some new synapses do continue to be formed throughout life — for example, in a part of the brain where new memories are laid down and at sites of injury to neurons, such as occurs after a stroke.

But the new findings raise questions about gabapentin’s effect in situations where synapse formation is widespread and crucial, most notably in pregnancies. The vast bulk of the brain’s synapses are formed during gestation and the very early months and years after birth. Because gabapentin easily crosses the placental barrier, it could potentially interfere with a fetus’ rapidly developing brain just when global synapse formation is proceeding at breakneck speed.

“It’s a bit scary that a drug that can so powerfully block synapse formation is being used in pregnant women,” Barres said. “This potential effect on fetal brains needs to be taken seriously. Right now, doctors have the view that gabapentin is the safest anticonvulsant. There is no question that pregnant women with epilepsy who have been advised by their neurologists to continue their anticonvulsant treatment with gabapentin during their pregnancy should definitely remain on this drug until instructed otherwise. But there is no long-term registry being kept to track gabapentin-exposed babies. Our findings are saying that we need to be following up on these newborns so that their cognitive performance can be studied as they grow older.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Steve_86

• 266 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:56 AM

I just got a prescription of RAN-Zopilclone today for shift work sleep disorder. I'll give you some feedback once I try it!

Zopiclone and the other Z-Drugs are carcinogenic and mutagenic according to many studies.

#34 InVeritate

• 60 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

Exercise:

Moderate-Intensity Exercise and Self-rated Quality of Sleep in Older Adults

A Randomized Controlled Trial

Abby C. King, PhD; Roy F. Oman, PhD; Glenn S. Brassington, MA; Donald L. Bliwise, PhD; William L. Haskell, PhD

Results. —Compared with controls ©, subjects in the exercise training condition (E) showed significant improvement in the PSQI global sleep score at 16 weeks (baseline and posttest values in mean [SD] for C=8.93 [3.1] and 8.8 [2.6]; baseline and posttest values for E=8.7 [3.0] and 5.4 [2.8]; mean posttest difference between conditions=3.4; P<.001; 95% confidence interval, 1.9-5.4), as well as in the sleep parameters of rated sleep quality, sleep-onset latency (baseline and posttest values for C=26.1 [20.0] and 23.8 [15.3]; for E=28.4 [20.2] and 14.6 [13.0]; net improvement=11.5 minutes), and sleep duration baseline and posttest scores for C=5.8 [1.1] and 6.0 [1.0]; for E=6.0 [1.1] and 6.8 [1.2]; net improvement=42 minutes) assessed via PSQI and sleep diaries (P=.05).

Exercise as a Treatment to Enhance Sleep
Matthew P. Buman, PhD
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, mbuman@stanford.edu
Abby C. King, PhD
Department of Health Research and Policy Stanford Prevention Research Center, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California

Abstract

The prevalence of sleep-related complaints and the limited efficacy of pharmacological treatments make nonpharmacological alternatives essential. Physical exercise is one such alternative that is inexpensive and affects numerous health systems simultaneously. This article reviews putative mechanisms that have guided exercise and sleep research, including exercise’s antidepressant effects, restorative functions, and circadian effects, and concludes that a number of mechanisms are plausible and likely active in explaining the effects of exercise on sleep. The empirical literature is reviewed, with special emphasis given to randomized controlled trials and experimental studies that help to inform for whom (eg, age, fitness characteristics), under what conditions (eg, light exposure, time of day), and by what means (eg, type, intensity, duration) exercise optimally affects sleep. The review also includes the emerging research using exercise as a treatment of obstructive sleep apnea and restless legs syndrome. The current literature indicates that moderate amounts of exercise, which can be obtained through a variety of means such as brisk walking and resistance training, are sufficient to improve sleep quality. Additional research is warranted in this area, particularly randomized controlled trials that target subgroups at risk for poor sleep such as older adults and persons with sleep disorders.

#35 likkayouth

• 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:50 PM

I use l-tyrosine to fight sleepiness off during long competitions.
You could look into Mucuna Pruriens

#36 FadingGlow

• Topic Starter
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:27 AM

I don't personally have problems with sleepiness, just sleeping for way longer then a normal person should.
Regardless, I've been interested in mucuna pruriens for a while.. Has it's safety been proven? L-dopa sounds like it might be dangerous.

#37 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:10 PM

I'm curious about l-dopa as well, it was an a sleep-improving compound that one of my first posts on this forum was inquiring about (invigorest).

#38 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:05 AM

I don't personally have problems with sleepiness, just sleeping for way longer then a normal person should.
Regardless, I've been interested in mucuna pruriens for a while.. Has it's safety been proven? L-dopa sounds like it might be dangerous.

L-dopa can be dangerous if its not taken with Carbidopa. L-dopa can be decarboxylated in the periphery leading to an increase of dopamine in the blood. Carbidopa can prevent L-dopa from being decarboxylate until it reachs the brain.

#39 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

I am taking somatomax which has things like L-dopa, Gaba, and Phenibut. This product claims its precursors to GHB. I have been taking it for a few months now and I have still yet to make up my mind on it. Here is what I have so far:

1. You get a very restful night of sleep. You actually hit your deepest sleep cycles twices as many times with this product, so I am told. This product does not make you sleepy though. But when you go to sleep, you sleep freaking sound and its hard to get up in the morning.
2. Take like a 1/8 or a 1/4 of the usual dosage and slowly build up. Or, you will have an alcohol type hangover. Please don't think, "Hey I am not sleepy, why don't I take more?" FAIL. You may vomit, have nausea, depression, and diahrea in the morning. Dont say I did not warn you and come back and talk crap about the product that you overused. (I always have a loose stool in the morning after taking this, but its very tolerable)
3. You slowly build a tolerance to this product unfortunately. I am trying to figure out how many days I need to be off it in order to get back on it again.
4. It has actually decreased pain in my body in both my widespread arthritis and tendonitis and increased libido. It has done this by increasing HGH.
5. I have had headaches after drinking cafeine lately and have felt slightly depressed. I don't think it is this, but I wont rule it out.
6. I am looking for other techinical reviews on this product. There are a lot of happy people with this product. I would like criticisms.

#40 houstonguy76

• 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:43 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the methylcobalamin form of B12. It not only improves my sleep but I don't seem to need as much of it. It's not my imagination either...google B12 sleep quality and you'll come across plenty of articles about it.

#41 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:06 AM

I am taking somatomax which has things like L-dopa, Gaba, and Phenibut. This product claims its precursors to GHB. I have been taking it for a few months now and I have still yet to make up my mind on it. Here is what I have so far:

1. You get a very restful night of sleep. You actually hit your deepest sleep cycles twices as many times with this product, so I am told. This product does not make you sleepy though. But when you go to sleep, you sleep freaking sound and its hard to get up in the morning.
2. Take like a 1/8 or a 1/4 of the usual dosage and slowly build up. Or, you will have an alcohol type hangover. Please don't think, "Hey I am not sleepy, why don't I take more?" FAIL. You may vomit, have nausea, depression, and diahrea in the morning. Dont say I did not warn you and come back and talk crap about the product that you overused. (I always have a loose stool in the morning after taking this, but its very tolerable)
3. You slowly build a tolerance to this product unfortunately. I am trying to figure out how many days I need to be off it in order to get back on it again.
4. It has actually decreased pain in my body in both my widespread arthritis and tendonitis and increased libido. It has done this by increasing HGH.
5. I have had headaches after drinking cafeine lately and have felt slightly depressed. I don't think it is this, but I wont rule it out.
6. I am looking for other techinical reviews on this product. There are a lot of happy people with this product. I would like criticisms.

Update:

I beginning to think I had an adverse reaction because I took this for 3 months straight. And that has been really nasty depression and memory problems that have not resolved themselves yet. Be really careful with this beyond a couple months of use. Check the side-effects for each ingredient of anything before using. It might be the side effects of l-dopa.

#42 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:35 PM

I found a few things that help for example quetiapine and doxepin. They both will put you to sleep and keep you there. I take around 25 mg of the q and i started with 25 mg of the doxy and have slowly ramped up. I alternate with a lot of other stuff but those 2 are the work horses. The q I take only once a week, the doxepin I have been taking every other day. Those are both dirt cheap in generic form.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#43 Justin BoBustinBananaFanaF

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:55 PM

huperzine-a

I'm not sure why this was down voted. Acetylcholine is needed for sleep and for some this might be useful. It does help me some. That being said, I would make sure to take this in the AM as I could see taking it at night making sleep worse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users