• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What is the best compound exercises for each muscle group?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kenny001

• 63 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

I'm having troubles designing an all compound exercise workout routine that I will be doing for 3 days a week, I will rep you if you tell me what is the best compound exercise for each muscle group.
  • dislike x 1

#2 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:46 PM

I'm having troubles designing an all compound exercise workout routine that I will be doing for 3 days a week, I will rep you if you tell me what is the best compound exercise for each muscle group.

I don't know what the "best" ones are but I currently do:

deadlifts, squats & lunges for the lower body
dips and bench-press for the chest and arms
pull-ups for the upper back
..I'm considering adding handstand push-ups for the shoulders.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TysonS

• 39 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:41 PM

Chin ups and bent over/cable rows are nice for compounding back and biceps. You can also use a straight bar on a lowered cable to do squats then a row as you near the top of the squat.
I like to incorporate different lots of different things into leg exercises... Lunges with barbell shoulder presses are good. Squats to a single arm overhead dumbbell press or you can bicep curl the dumbbell as you come up with the squat and overhead press at the top. Squat to upright rows with a barbell...(These last 3 work better with kettle balls if you have them)

For chest you can consistently change your hand width during push-ups from wide to closer to target the triceps more (or vice versa) and raise/lower your feet to target your lower chest or higher and more of the shoulders. Dips are great for hitting several muscle groups too.

#4 mia22

• 52 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:36 AM

All good suggestions. Here's a few more.
Deadlifts done properly are probably the best single compound exercise imo although I have never done snatches and some other compound exercises. They will work almost everything.
Dumbbell rows for back are great.
Squats of course.
Dumbbell presses>bench press.
The way you position your body for dips will also work different areas body perpendicular to ground will work posterior shoulders/tris more. Body more parallel to ground(legs back and away) will work more chest/ anterior shoulder muscles.
Seated cable rows are great too. Watch your form, thrust your chest out when cable gets close to your torso, and pull it towards your sternum with a good back squeeze at the end of movement. Let cable come forward far and give back a good stretch as cable moves away from you.

Edited by mia22, 14 January 2011 - 07:39 AM.

#5 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

The Olympic lifts are probably the best thing anyone can do with a barbell, in my experience. However, they will not put size on you like other movements will.
  • like x 1

#6 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

if i could only lift once a week:

deadlift - post chain
squat & weighted calf raises - legs
bent row & weighted pull ups - back
military press - shoulders
barbell curl - ant arms
skull crusher or close-grip press- post arms
bench press - chest

ab work is a little bit more complex than a single exercise will be able to cover.

Edited by ajnast4r, 16 January 2011 - 03:43 PM.

#7 shuffleup

• 160 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

if i could only lift once a week:

deadlift - post chain
squat & weighted calf raises - legs
bent row & weighted pull ups - back
military press - shoulders
barbell curl - ant arms
skull crusher or close-grip press- post arms
bench press - chest

ab work is a little bit more complex than a single exercise will be able to cover.

I agree that is a good list. I like dips as well for pec, shoulder, and tri.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:27 AM

Bulgarian Squat - Hits your legs and stabilizers (also lessens the load on the spine and maximizes load on the leg)
Chin Up - Allows you to use your biceps and also an anti-extension exercise for your rectus abdominis
Ab Wheel - Another anti-extension one for your abs (don't flex the lumbar spine)
Deadlift -Posterior Chain
Inverted Rows with towel - Trains back and grip (also increase range of motion)
Power Clean from Hang - Just to develop power
And posture corrective exercises (scapular retraction, depression, and humeral external rotation)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users