Photo
- - - - -

How many reps for squats and deads?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kenny001

• 63 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

I generally aim for 15 or so. The reason is I read somewhere here that it's recommended to perform more reps with these than other exercises like bench press, dips, curls, rows, etc, since they are very taxing.

But I also read some other people saying they do way less that this, not 1RMs, but say like 4-5. So I am confused.

Another reason I was doing 15s or so is because I thought going really heavy only to be able to perform 1-2 would be dangerous to do. I breath heavily after doing 15, but that might be because I do more reps and these are very taxing.

For someone who is going for size and strength, how many reps should I perform?

#2 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

I generally aim for 15 or so. The reason is I read somewhere here that it's recommended to perform more reps with these than other exercises like bench press, dips, curls, rows, etc, since they are very taxing.

But I also read some other people saying they do way less that this, not 1RMs, but say like 4-5. So I am confused.

Another reason I was doing 15s or so is because I thought going really heavy only to be able to perform 1-2 would be dangerous to do. I breath heavily after doing 15, but that might be because I do more reps and these are very taxing.

My suggestion would be to post these questions on an actual body building forum. To be honest with you, exercising for size is typically counter productive to life extension ...and this is a life extension forum ultimately, so that answers you get might not be best for your goals. If you want to be lean, strong, flexible, and healthy ...this is the place to post questions. If you want to be big, strong, with muscles on top of muscles with the "i-lift-things-up-and-put-them-down" mentality, this probably isnt the place for it.

For overall health and in line with staying strong, flexible, and lean ...I typically do 15/12/* for squats and deads with the last set to failure. Once I hit at least 10 for the last set, I go up in weight a small amount. I am lean, strong, and cut ..but I am not big and massive. Take that as you will.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

I rarely go over triples in any type of squat.

#4 mia22

• 52 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

If you are going for size and strength you want to go lower reps higher weight.
This will be more taxing on your body and CNS but will generally build more strength.
The consequences will also be much greater esp. with exercises like deadlifts and squats. Always keep your form, those are not exercisses you can get away with cheating on like prreacher curls or something.
Here is one possible deadlift workout for example. Warmup light weight 12- 15 reps. 2nd set go heavy 4-6. I usually do more like 6. Then lighten load go 8. Lighten load finish off with ten. Or for third and fourth keep same weight and do less reps. There is no magic recipe. Figure out what you like and stay within some general range.

Edited by mia22, 14 January 2011 - 07:48 AM.

#5 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:34 AM

With deadlifts, absolutely no going over the 8 rep mark. As you get more and more tired your form suffers and it's an excersise you should be very careful with AND if the weight is so low that you can do it more than 10 times it's pointless as far as weight gain and strength are concerned. I train in all rep ranges as far as the deadlift is concerned.
This is my deadlift routine and has been for the past 6 years:
week 1 - xweight, 4 sets of 6 reps
week 2 - prev weight + 5, 5 sets of 5 reps
week 3 - prev weight + 5, 6 sets of 4 reps
week 4 - prev weight + 5, 8 sets of 3 reps

Repeat BUT xweight is now +5... Repeat... My personal best is 375lb for 1 rep at a bodyweight of 160lbs, raw.

In the past I used to do the same for squats but I'm finding that I need a higher rep range for legs so for the past 9 weeks i've been doing 3 sets of 15 reps with a 'lighter' weight; not so light really cause the 2nd set is tough to complete and the 3rd is sheer pain. Results have been excellent thus far.

#6 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

With deadlifts, absolutely no going over the 8 rep mark. As you get more and more tired your form suffers and it's an excersise you should be very careful with AND if the weight is so low that you can do it more than 10 times it's pointless as far as weight gain and strength are concerned.

I agree with you that when going over 8 reps on deadlifts you have to be very careful with form due to the tendency to slip out of it when fatigued. I also agree with you that it is worthless to do so for weight gain. I do well above 10 reps on deads while being careful to keep form, but my goal isn't size or rapid strength gain. The strength gain still occurs, just slower and the very last thing I want these days is size. I am much happier and in overall better shape at a lean 190 than I was bulked up 10 years ago at 225.

#7 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

I agree with you that when going over 8 reps on deadlifts you have to be very careful with form due to the tendency to slip out of it when fatigued. I also agree with you that it is worthless to do so for weight gain. I do well above 10 reps on deads while being careful to keep form, but my goal isn't size or rapid strength gain. The strength gain still occurs, just slower and the very last thing I want these days is size. I am much happier and in overall better shape at a lean 190 than I was bulked up 10 years ago at 225.

So what are you trying to accomplish? Absolutely no need to do deadlifts if you just want to look fit; just keeping up with the squats and doing regular back work will 'maintain' what ever you got going on in the back area...

I firmly believe the body continues to age UNLESS you stress it both mentally and physically. Embrace the pain and you will life forever. I myself have left my twenties behind me and still pass for under 20 and I'm far from puny.

#8 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

So what are you trying to accomplish? Absolutely no need to do deadlifts if you just want to look fit; just keeping up with the squats and doing regular back work will 'maintain' what ever you got going on in the back area...

I firmly believe the body continues to age UNLESS you stress it both mentally and physically. Embrace the pain and you will life forever. I myself have left my twenties behind me and still pass for under 20 and I'm far from puny.

Are you trying to tell me that going slightly higher in reps and slightly lower in weight until hitting failure doesn't stress you physically and mentally, nor accompishes anything? I don't understand that mentality when it is proven in practice to be false.

Are you also trying to tell me that you look like a teenager in your 30's?

#9 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

Are you trying to tell me that going slightly higher in reps and slightly lower in weight until hitting failure doesn't stress you physically and mentally, nor accompishes anything? I don't understand that mentality when it is proven in practice to be false.

Didn't say that at all, I'm just trying to say that I've built by back by deadlifting very heavy weights, for me to NOW cut down the weights in half, lets say, and deadlift them to exhaustion would do absolutely nothing in terms of strength gains or visual appereance of my back.

I do understand better what you're doing and what you're trying to accomplish after reading your last post, it's just not something I would recommend to a newb. I periodically cut down weights in half and focus on tempo, mind muscle connection and getting a great contraction and I find that I do get stronger, albeit slowly, and it does add another, perhaps more subtle, layer of muscle/definition. But this is not something I could ever bring my self to do with the deadlift; my favorite lift and the source of all my power.

Are you also trying to tell me that you look like a teenager in your 30's?

Yes, the teenagers usually think I'm one of them. Adults place me in my early 20's simply because no teenagers are built like me(no brag). I've always had an innocent looking face and the retenoids I use certainly have helped. My dad also has looked young all his life.

#10 marco1910

• 13 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:06 AM

check out the Wendler 5/3/1 program..great way to build strenght

#11 cathological

• 112 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:07 AM

Whats with all the forums that have squats circle jerk threads. Squats seem stupid and over-rated to me. What's the big deal?

#12 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

Whats with all the forums that have squats circle jerk threads. Squats seem stupid and over-rated to me. What's the big deal?

Research it and you will understand why it is an important exercise, regardless of your fitness goals.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#13 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

There's not a clear guideline, especially with variations in tempo. I don't think you're going to become a tiny endurance/cardio junky if you work up to 20 or even 30 repetitions in these exercises. You're going to have to drop the reps when you move up to a higher weight so may as well build up to a decent amount with the lighter one first.

#14 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:39 AM

Do both types of reps. Check out Layne Nortons PHAT(Power Hypertrophy Adaptive Training) program, I think this is good for what your looking for (size and strength)
http://www.simplyshr...dated-2011.html

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 Boolean

• 95 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

If your goal is both strength AND size, you'll have to compromise on both. According to NASM(which I am currently studying), it is said that the rep range should be 1(8)-12 for mass(strength), and 1(5)-8 for strength(power), and set range should be 2-6 for strength(mass) and 3-6 for strength(power). I am putting different terms in the parenthesis because NASM has their own terms for goal type.

All semantics aside, MY take on it (and is purely subjective) is that you get more mass with volume (higher rep 10-12 + burn set) and in the higher set range across all exercises. So if I'm doing lower body I'll hit quads on 3 different exercises, hammies on another 3, and lower back on another 3, and they all overlap. My burn set of 20 squats @250lbs makes me want to barf, but... they have packed a lot of meat on me. My legs have grown to the point where I had to buy new pants because they are loose around my waist and painted on my thighs.

I am NOT a power lifter. I am all show and very little go when it comes to raw strength. Some bb's swear by powerlifting... but don't complain of overtraining because they're more than likely juicing their tiny lil brains out. If I train to long for ONLY power, I will overtrain FAST and start getting injuries in my neck and shoulders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users