Photo
- - - - -

Please provide me with your opinion:

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 magr

• 157 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 03:27 PM

I have made an effort to find out dosages, benefits, risks and synergistics of various compounds but i am still abit uncertain.

Could you please share your opinion on taking this twice daily:

2500mg L-Tyrosine
2300mg Dextrose
1400mg Inositol
750mg D,L-Phenylalanine
700mg Taurine
630mg Alpha GPC
490mg Ascorbic acid

At the moment i am taking ALCAR (3x750mg), Aniracetam (3x500mg) and Alpha GPC (2x680mg, 1h away from ALCAR), Multi B-50, B5 450mg, multivitamin and fish oil.

The thing i am hesitating on is the quite large dosage of DLPA, or is it?
Some take over 2g daily and some take 200mg...?

How about inositol?
I added that so that i could be more self confident when approaching clients at work.

Ok?

Thank you for your time [!:)]

#2 geigertube

• 76 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 07:56 PM

Magr,

The level of L-tyrosine you are looking at taking would be a sure fire panic attack for me. You could be just fine with it, I've seen other people take doses like that, but it might be best to start with a small amount (100mg or so) and go up from there.

Or, I haven't tried this, but maybe taking it with 500mg of GABA would smooth out any nervous reaction you might have.

Steven

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 11:53 PM

Geiger,

Powerdrive contains 3000 mg per serving and people have been known to take 2 servings.....I think you are....fairly sensitive. Trying a sample first is reasonable but suggesting added.....downers may not meet with his needs

#4 geigertube

• 76 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:40 AM

Scott,

You are probably right, and I tried to suggest that in my original post.. But, I'm not sure if my sensitivity is that uncommon. I gave some tyrosine to a coworker (who was also prone to anxiety) and the 500mg dose gave her a panic attack. Its only a sample size of two, though, so I don't want to extrapolate that too much. :)

Anyway, would combining GABA and Tyrosine have negative reactions? I know its usually a considered bad idea to combine "uppers" and "downers", but I got the impression that it was continued abuse at high levels that caused damage. One can drink, say, Irish Coffee on a semi regular basis with no apparent ill effect. (I also take GABA with coffee regularly, and it helps with a calm focused state. I assumed that it wouldn't be worse than taking caffeine with theanine, which I've read increases GABA production, and people have been drinking the natural downer/upper combination found in green tea for centuries.)

That said, I'm by no means an expert on this sort of thing, and am just going from personal experience. If I'm suggesting a dangerous solution to a nervous reaction to tyrosine, I'll apologize and retract it. .

Steven

#5 magr

• Topic Starter
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 06:54 AM

Thanks for your insights! :)

I will start with a smaller dose, but that are dosages i am aiming for.

What about the DLPA and inositol?

#6 dopamine

• 210 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:06 PM

Anyway, would combining GABA and Tyrosine have negative reactions? I know its usually a considered bad idea to combine "uppers" and "downers", but I got the impression that it was continued abuse at high levels that caused damage. One can drink, say, Irish Coffee on a semi regular basis with no apparent ill effect. (I also take GABA with coffee regularly, and it helps with a calm focused state. I assumed that it wouldn't be worse than taking caffeine with theanine, which I've read increases GABA production, and people have been drinking the natural downer/upper combination found in green tea for centuries.)

From what I have read, supplemental GABA does not cross the blood brain barrier to any appreciable degree, so most of it will be distributed peripherally.

What about the DLPA and inositol?

DLPA works fairly well for focus and increased mental energy. Although, it is somewhat anxiogenic (anxiety producing) since it increases brain levels of phenethylamine (PEA). Taking inositol to try and balance off this effect might work, although they have different mechanisms by which they exert their opposite actions (anxiogenic vs. anxiolytic).

#7 magr

• Topic Starter
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:16 PM

DLPA works fairly well for focus and increased mental energy. Although, it is somewhat anxiogenic (anxiety producing) since it increases brain levels of phenethylamine (PEA). Taking inositol to try and balance off this effect might work, although they have different mechanisms by which they exert their opposite actions (anxiogenic vs. anxiolytic).

What do think of the dosage? Some take 200mg a day and some take over 2g.

Is 2 x 750mg ok?

#8 dopamine

• 210 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:26 PM

What do think of the dosage? Some take 200mg a day and some take over 2g.

Is 2 x 750mg ok?

Should be fine. Just make sure you take the doses in the morning and afternoon, and not in the evening as it could cause some sleeplessness.

#9 magr

• Topic Starter
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:32 PM

Would a smaller dose have an effect?

Isn't there a synergistic effect between L-Tyrosine and DLPA?

I am a little worried about that anxiety. We'll see.

I will take this when i wake up and a couple of hours after lunch.

Thank you. :)

#10 geigertube

• 76 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:59 PM

From what I have read, supplemental GABA does not cross the blood brain barrier to any appreciable degree, so most of it will be distributed peripherally.

Do you think I would be better off with a precursor that does cross the blood/brain barrier? L-glutamine maybe?

Steven

#11 dopamine

• 210 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 06:43 PM

Would a smaller dose have an effect?

Isn't there a synergistic effect between L-Tyrosine and DLPA?

I am a little worried about that anxiety. We'll see.

I will take this when i wake up and a couple of hours after lunch.

Thank you. 

There is a synergistic effect between Tyrosine and DLPA in two respects. One, L-Phenylalanine is the precursor to L-Tyrosine, which in turn is the pre-cursor for L-Dopa -> Dopamine -> Epinephrine -> Norepinephrine. Secondly, DLPA (either isomer) can be converted into phenethylamine, which at high levels can increase the release of catecholamines (i.e. neurotransmitters from tyrosine). However, this effect really also depends on the activity of monoamine oxidase B which degrades PEA.

Start out with a smaller dosage and work your way up to where you feel the effects but do not have excessive levels of anxiety.

Do you think I would be better off with a precursor that does cross the blood/brain barrier? L-glutamine maybe?

L-Glutamine is usually either converted to Glutamate (the excitatory neurotransmitter) or is used by the brain as an energy source when glucose is deficient. Your unlikely to experience any real noticeable effects when supplementing with L-Glutamine since it is the most abundant amino acid in your body and is primarily taken up by muscular system (although, it is not know to what degree).

If you want a GABergic effect, you are best to take modified molecules such as Phenibut which are very similar to GABA but can cross the blood brain barrier very effectively. Phenibut itself is very similar in structure to both GABA and phenethylamine, so it's two main proposed mechanisms of action are: enhancing GABergic neurotransmission directly via agonism of receptors, or antagonism of phenethylamine, which in turn may result in GABAergic effects.

#12 unipolar_mania

• 87 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:47 AM

Here is the abstract of a study on Tyrosine:

Tyrosine Improves Working Memorynext term in a Multitasking Environment

Previous studies indicate that tyrosine may prove useful in promoting improved performance in situations in which performance is compromised by stress. To extend the generality of previous tyrosine findings, the present study examined the effects of tyrosine ingestion on performance during both a Multiple Task and a Simple Task battery. The multiple task battery was designed to measure working previous termmemory,next term arithmetic skills, and visual and auditory monitoring simultaneously, whereas the simple task battery measured only working previous termmemorynext term and visual monitoring. Ten men and 10 women subjects underwent these batteries 1 h after ingesting 150 mg/kg of previous terml-tyrosinenext term or placebo. Administration of tyrosine significantly enhanced accuracy and decreased frequency of list retrieval on the working previous termmemorynext term task during the multiple task battery compared with placebo. However, tyrosine induced no significant changes in performance on the arithmetic, visual, or auditory tasks during the Multiple Task, or modified any performance measures during the Simple Task battery. Blood levels of ACTH and cortisol were not, but heart rate and blood pressure were significantly increased during the performance tasks. The present results indicate that tyrosine may sustain working previous termmemorynext term when competing requirements to perform other tasks simultaneously degrade performance, and that supplemental tyrosine may be appropriate for maintaining performance when mild to severe decrements are anticipated.

#13 magr

• Topic Starter
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:29 AM

Thanks guys! [thumb]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 icarusfalling

• 10 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:48 AM

i've just noticed i have 0.6g of tyrosine per serving .. i must have been taking 1.8g of it a day up to now and i've felt perhaps different .. hyper stimulated possibly but that could be a number amino acids that i am taking... now that i know this i might lower my useage of this protein powder :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users