• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

What do you think about the prospects for indefinite lifespans?

welcome indefinite lifespans support thoughts discussion questions Longecity

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 IDoNotWantToDie

• 41 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

After doing my own research on immortality I have found biomedical gerontology to be the most promising area of study out of all the others of extending human life spans within our own life times, specifically Dr. Aubrey de Grey and the research being done at his SENS Foundation in California. I support the cause of immortality because not dying is my life goal, I love life and would never get bored. There is simply too much to do, to learn, to experience for me to ever get bored with life. Thats why I find it absurd when people say they would get bored if they lived forever, how can you possibly get bored? Once my health gets better ( I live in severe chronic pain) or at least until my pain gets bareable enough to sleep better and get me out of the house, my plans are to go back to college. my ultimate goal being to work for Dr. Aubrey de Grey and help with the research being done at the SENS Foundation especially in LysoSENS and AmyloSENS which seem the most promising to me, which of SENS seven treatment schemes do you guys think is most promising of fixing within our lifetimes?

Edited by IDoNotWantToDie, 08 February 2013 - 12:00 PM.

• like x 3
  • Agree x 1

#32 Avatar of Horus

• 241 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Do you think it can happen in our lifetimes?

I am in a state of having mixed feelings about it. Sometimes I think that we are on the verge of achieving it, i.e. years, considering our very advanced science; and in turn, another times that we are light years away from it, becuase the body's biology is so complex.
However I am increasingly tending towards the first view, so I believe it will happen in our lifetimes.

Whether it is 5 years away or not, which it could be, what if anything do you think could be done to help the process along? Do you think that we have to let the research run its course, or do you think we can bolster it and improve its chances for success somehow in any meaningful or significant way?

I think we must bolster it, because a large part of the research is not directly involved in life extension, however even those may be relevant. What we have to do is to use the direct and indirect results, and connect the dots with their help, to identify the missing links and at those points we must act and do the still needed, smaller researches and contributions.

Edited by Avatar of Horus, 31 March 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#33 JonWCornell

• 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:39 AM

Whether we'll see indefinite lifespans in our lifetimes depends entirely on funding.

I mean, just to compare two projects:

1. The Manhattan Project

Cost: $26 billion
Employees: 130,000
Sites: Over 30

2. Labs actually working on telomerase induction:

Ron DePinho at MD Anderson Cancer Center/ Harvard Medical School
Maria Blasco at the CNIO
Bill Andrews at Sierra Sciences

I don't know how many employees work with Drs. DePinho and Blasco, but Dr. Andrews has about ten employees.

If telomerase induction is the first step towards clinical immortality - and I believe it is - we are devoting pennies to it. Just pocket change. Probably less than the annual budget for Duke's basketball team.
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 Janica

• 21 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

I think it's possible but (unfortunately) I am skeptical about it happening in our lifetimes :(
  • like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#35 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

I think it's possible but (unfortunately) I am skeptical about it happening in our lifetimes :(

This is why we need to raise more awareness, get more support and make it as likely as possible to happen in our lifetimes.
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#36 Matthias2009

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

I think I wanna live a long time but maybe not forever.It also depends at what age do I stop growing old.I´m 35 now and I pretty much wanna stay constant at this age not be an old man hanging on.
But unfortunately I guess by the time the science will find the cure for death I´ll be quite old and in this case i´ll choose to die reincarnate:)

#37 kekich

• 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

Let's substitute "open-ended" for "indefinite." Meaning we won't die from aging. My personal target for this capability is 2033.

#38 Slicer

• 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:26 AM

Between Wake Forest (printed organs), Calico Labs (Google's practically unlimited cash), and SENS, the future is looking a lot brighter than it was a few years ago.

• Cheerful x 1

#39 Thew

• 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:33 AM

Maybe it's possible, like the one in the movie I have just watched, "I, Frankenstein", I'm a fan of this movie. :)

• dislike x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1

#40 Russ Maughan

• 167 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:12 PM

No doubt in my mind if we could get the funding and I do indeed hope to live eons. Plenty of planets we could terraform for the perpetual partiers and turn our little planet into a garden.

• like x 1

#41 Sanhar

• 171 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:35 PM

No doubt in my mind if we could get the funding and I do indeed hope to live eons. Plenty of planets we could terraform for the perpetual partiers and turn our little planet into a garden.

Well, there might be water in the moons of jupiter.  Who knows?  The moon and Mars seem like pretty safe bets anyway, given enough time.

#42 Russ Maughan

• 167 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:37 PM

We can make water now. From anything. It is just not cost effective yet.

#43 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:56 AM

Here, make water from this:

piedra.jpg

Maybe it's possible, like the one in the movie I have just watched, "I, Frankenstein", I'm a fan of this movie. :)

I prefer "The Man from Earth".

• Cheerful x 1

#44 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:09 PM

Thank you for that suggestion. I've just watched it. It's a beautiful film and leaves me wanting to know more. I can't say more because I'd be spoiling it. It's well worth watching.

#45 Russ Maughan

• 167 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:27 AM

Saw Man from Earth when it came out. Is very dramatic, liked it.

A whole desert huh. Like Star Trek right? Genisis device? Starting a chain reaction in the atmosphere is real enough, don't think it would make anything BUT water though :)

I'd use nanotech once it's further developed.

Edited by Russ Maughan, 14 March 2015 - 04:30 AM.

#46 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:13 AM

The Man from Earth is the film more related to LE that I know of. It's a little jewel with almost no funding but very well done.

Hey, using the atmosphere is cheating! :P

#47 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:39 AM

If you're a supporter then how did you get into it?

The more I learn and search for topics related to immortality, the more I build my belief, that we can be immortal in our life time. Some time ago I saw the Roadmap to immortality, made (or represented) by Maria Konovalenko:

https://mariakonoval...rtality_eng.pdf

I may say, that as general, the scientific and the technological progress is following it.

For 2015 the cryonics path to immortality says "Freezing in varying magnetic field" and today the Cell Alive System really exists.

http://en.wikipedia....ls_Alive_System

It even came sooner than the year of 2015.

The cyborgization path shows for 2015 artifital limbs, regulated by brain signals. And using brain - computer interfaces for moving artifitial limbs today exists:

http://www.washingto...-only-her-mind/

The artifitial inteligence road talks about applying IBM Watson in medicine, and it is possible too. I think, that I watched a video about it already being applied at some extend.

The regulating exogenous causes of death route says increased social safety and reduced mortality on the roads. As far as I know, it is already a statistical fact for some countries.

The Digital immortality route for 2015 says Increase in tomograph resolution power. This is true - not only for CT, but also for the MRI increase their resolution with time. There is also life long recording via mobile devices, that isn't clear when is supposed to happen between 2015 and 2020. The mobile devices exist already. They are named holters.

I haven't researched the progress in the other routes, but maybe there is some progress there too.

So, following some of the pathways may lead us to immortality within our lifes.

I believe also in other ways of becomming immortal, and there is progress in all of them too.

Whether it is 5 years away or not, which it could be, what if anything do you think could be done to help the process along? Do you think that we have to let the research run its course, or do you think we can bolster it and improve its chances for success somehow in any meaningful or significant way?

If the humanity just stays and does nothing for developing the needed immortality technologies, nothing will evolve, and we will proceed being mortal. We have to work to make the difference. It will be best, if each one of us tries to do what (s)he can.

It is also true, that the progerss of the science and the technology will make possible everything in the distant future, including biological immortality for people, even if it is left to develope by itself. However, I think, that it will take much more time, and we will be long time decomposed if we simply stay and wait.

If we just let the research run its course and we sit back waiting for somebody else to come up with the solution, then we don't deserve an indefinite lifespan. We need to be active ourselves, and there many ways to do this. I don't mean just fundraising or taking a few vitamins, but perhaps advocacy, sharing of information and experience, purposeful goal-seeking behaviour, etc. For the rationale of this, see my article here:
http://hplusmagazine...e-global-brain/ .

I also believe, that this is true. Unfortunately, all my tries to make the people do something were fruitless. I started topics for gathering in one place all of the existing aging theories, and another for gathering the knowledge about the stem cells used on people, and I was the main participant in these topics, from the start to the death of the topics. I made also a topic about gathering people for making some sort of research with active and control group among people, who use some sort of anti-aging therapy, and I recruited nobody.

#48 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:38 AM

IMHO, SENS progress is still too slow. In order to see a working SENS in humans when I'm 60 (now 41), much more money is needed.

Edited by Antonio2014, 14 March 2015 - 10:42 AM.

#49 Marios Kyriazis

• 466 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

If we just let the research run its course and we sit back waiting for somebody else to come up with the solution, then we don't deserve an indefinite lifespan. We need to be active ourselves, and there many ways to do this. I don't mean just fundraising or taking a few vitamins, but perhaps advocacy, sharing of information and experience, purposeful goal-seeking behaviour, etc. For the rationale of this, see my article here:
http://hplusmagazine...e-global-brain/ .

I also believe, that this is true. Unfortunately, all my tries to make the people do something were fruitless. I started topics for gathering in one place all of the existing aging theories, and another for gathering the knowledge about the stem cells used on people, and I was the main participant in these topics, from the start to the death of the topics. I made also a topic about gathering people for making some sort of research with active and control group among people, who use some sort of anti-aging therapy, and I recruited nobody.

No effort goes wasted. Even if you don't get any feedback, it doesn't mean that nobody listened to what you said. The point is to continue in the face of all adversities. People will get the point eventually.

There is an old saying: 'First it was the Voice. After a lot of shouting, the Ear was eventually created' .

#50 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:53 AM

Perhaps local groups could arrange screening sessions of The Man From Earth

#51 Russ Maughan

• 167 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:17 PM

The Man from Earth breaks too many customs. Without customs many people feel alone in a crowd or frightened. I think we need a more nurturing approach. Shock videos help but are just too distasteful for me. We want to look back and say we did the best we could. Intellectual presentations take too long for multitaskers that still think it's science fiction. Who has the money to fund it? They are our target audience. And often they see asking twice as proof of insanity. So we need to light this up like the first moon landing.

To do that you have to imagine it's 1965-ish. Something big is about to happen.

Edited by Russ Maughan, 14 March 2015 - 08:23 PM.

• unsure x 1

#52 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:43 AM

I see the film differently. Instead of a theoretical approach to LE (will it produce overpopulation? will we reach the singularity?) it presents a practical approach. It shows how an immortal man could be, and he is not so different from us (for him, the ancient past is like our infancy, etc.).

Edited by Antonio2014, 16 March 2015 - 07:47 AM.

#53 Russ Maughan

• 167 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:53 AM

Well, yeah, I loved it. Hell I own it :) Haven't watched it ages though. But I can imagine my Mom running me out of the house if I ever showed it to her.

• Cheerful x 1

#54 2525

• 60 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:46 PM

We can use also the fact that

Google says that with popular support, we can focus towards
ending aging and involuntary death, and choose to live as much as we want to:

http://imgur.com/a/fa3K0

Time magazine and Newsweek magazine... what are your opinions on these covers of magazines

and the main articles?

#55 Rib Jig

• 206 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:56 PM

Barring nuclear war, etc., its blatantly inevitable.

Only those who don't grasp scientific progress...nevermind, not even worth...

It happens in this order:

a. longer lifespans + cryogenic preservation (happening currently)

b. even longer lifespans (125+)

c. revival of "cryogens" possible

d. regeneration of one's young adult body via one's genetic info

e. indefinite life option, cryogenic vacations

My guess for c + d, which is of greatest interest to me, is 80-100 years, or ~2100...  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Edited by Rib Jig, 20 September 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#56 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:58 AM

only d will make you immortal :)

The rest need a technology like d to make you immortal.

How do you imagine d working? Do you mean stem cells? Or something else?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: welcome, indefinite lifespans, support, thoughts, discussion, questions, Longecity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users