• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

What do you think about the prospects for indefinite lifespans?

welcome indefinite lifespans support thoughts discussion questions Longecity

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:46 PM

Do you think it can happen in our lifetimes?

If you're a supporter then how did you get into it?
  • like x 1

#2 saxxie

• 7 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:02 PM

Yes I believe that we will start improving lifespan through stem cell and gene therapies within the next 5 years. Regenerative medicine is the future and within the next 10 to 15 years I would expect that we would find the techniques to extend lives indefinitely through body systems repair and disease reversal. Visit www.Investorstemcell.com for further discussions.

Edited by saxxie, 12 September 2011 - 09:04 PM.

#3 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:20 PM

Whether it is 5 years away or not, which it could be, what if anything do you think could be done to help the process along? Do you think that we have to let the research run its course, or do you think we can bolster it and improve its chances for success somehow in any meaningful or significant way?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 immortalbeing

• 21 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:19 AM

I think that the world needs to develop to the point where we can consider the possibility at the moment every one is infighting so much that the resources are not allocated in a way that is going to make this happen. Think if the US, Russian and Chinese Military budgets were put towards it the goal.

Development of the species is a key step towards it.
  • like x 2

#5 Marios Kyriazis

• 466 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:16 AM

Whether it is 5 years away or not, which it could be, what if anything do you think could be done to help the process along? Do you think that we have to let the research run its course, or do you think we can bolster it and improve its chances for success somehow in any meaningful or significant way?

If we just let the research run its course and we sit back waiting for somebody else to come up with the solution, then we don't deserve an indefinite lifespan. We need to be active ourselves, and there many ways to do this. I don't mean just fundraising or taking a few vitamins, but perhaps advocacy, sharing of information and experience, purposeful goal-seeking behaviour, etc. For the rationale of this, see my article here:
http://hplusmagazine...e-global-brain/ .
  • like x 3

#6 Elusive

• 103 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:18 AM

Thanks for inviting me here. What i sense about this is that
fundamentally everything is made of energy and information
We are nearing that time where we will be writing our fundamental instructional information (DNA Code) using some form or frequency of energy
(Energy=Information)
The whole universe is made up of energy/information
I think the whole human drama is about creating experiences and releasing potential
Some people will enjoy this experience of ultimate health & vigor and others will leave the planet without even hearing about it. (African people could be the case in point)
So all the supplements i eat are a kind of information that interact with the another information i call my body and make changes, information has that ability to act upon other types of information and something new is created in the process, a new type of information.
I see health and disease as different types of information and we are gaining more awareness about how we can make information do things for us at the very fundamental level!

I got interested in this site because i am interested in these areas of information
Sociology
Psychology
Evolutionary Biology
Nutri-Genomics
Epigenetics
Particle/Astrophysics
Consciousness Studies
ZEN

All the best!
  • like x 2

#7 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:41 PM

I think that it is inevitable that we will have indefinite lifespans at some point but I just hope that it is in my life time and even better also in my parent's life times.

To help it along, I think that we really need publicity and supporting celebs would be excellent, as people copy them for some reason. As I said to Brokenportal a while back, "we need shepherds for the sheeple."

I got into this out of questioning and revisiting thoughts on a documentary I saw as a kid about trying to extend the lifespan/kids with progeria.

Edited by Droplet, 30 September 2011 - 03:43 PM.

• like x 1

#8 goten574

• 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

I for one wish to live forever, or as long as I can. Does anyone share this view? I've asked friends/family before about this, a few said they don't want a longer lifespan which always confused me.
  • like x 2

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:58 AM

I for one wish to live forever, or as long as I can. Does anyone share this view? I've asked friends/family before about this, a few said they don't want a longer lifespan which always confused me.

They don't understand the question. Instead, ask them if they would like to have arthritis, cancer, or heart disease. Ask them if they would like to have Alzheimer's or Parkinson's. They probably won't want to have any of these diseases, at least not today. Ask if they would like to have them in the future then. If they don't, then they support indefinite life extension, unless they just want to drop dead one day in an otherwise healthy state.

People often think that living longer means spending a longer time being decrepit and sickly. It really means spending a longer time being healthy, and a shorter time being sick.

Living 'forever' is a really foreign concept. No one alive really knows what that would be like. A lot of people say they want it. I just want to be healthy and happy until such time as I get hit by a meteorite or whatever inevitable accident eventually befalls me.
  • like x 1

#10 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:20 PM

If we just let the research run its course and we sit back waiting for somebody else to come up with the solution, then we don't deserve an indefinite lifespan. We need to be active ourselves, and there many ways to do this. I don't mean just fundraising or taking a few vitamins, but perhaps advocacy, sharing of information and experience, purposeful goal-seeking behaviour, etc. For the rationale of this, see my article here:
http://hplusmagazine...e-global-brain/ .

So you think that an all out effort to be a part of a growing collective push for indefinite life extension can make it happen faster?

One avenue that you think can take us there is through becoming a GB so that our cells will want to naturally keep themselves healthy longer?
"sustained, intentional effort to embed oneself in the GB and increase meaningful input of cognitive information of sufficient magnitude into one’s brain. This will cause epigenetic changes that will repair and maintain somatic cells, reducing their risk of age-related death."

That's an interesting avenue, I'm not sure I've ever thought about that before.
  • like x 1

#11 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for inviting me here. What i sense about this is that
fundamentally everything is made of energy and information

This reminds me of mrszeta's last link there. I'm not sure I fully understand or buy into that yet. What do you think about it?

#12 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

Living 'forever' is a really foreign concept. No one alive really knows what that would be like. A lot of people say they want it. I just want to be healthy and happy until such time as I get hit by a meteorite or whatever inevitable accident eventually befalls me.

I'm with you on that. Want life without the silly time limit nature currently puts on it.

#13 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:52 PM

I think something close to indefinite is possible, but that we don't really know enough about the growth and death of our Universe, or other Universes--and we have a very long ways to go before we can end aging, or have back-ups for our brains, or even be spread out within our own Universe (for safety from cataclysmic events) for that matter. I do think we should strive to attenuate longer lifespans, I just think we are at the early stages of A. realizing that we may be able to and B. actually finding ways to do it.
  • Agree x 1

#14 drus

• 278 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:26 PM

I agree with Shannon here. Physical immortality/indefinite lifespans are a long way off, if ever. Also, before any of that could or would ever be implemented, the entire human paradigm would need to change.
  • Agree x 1

#15 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:22 PM

I agree with Shannon here. Physical immortality/indefinite lifespans are a long way off, if ever. Also, before any of that could or would ever be implemented, the entire human paradigm would need to change.

Why is it the case that they are, a long way off?

#16 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:52 PM

It's something that has to be done and I agree with mrszeta, we have to be very vocal about this and raise the awareness as fast as we can. There are still people both religious leaders, pseudo-philosophers and a big surprise for me - even scientists, which are against this research. It's mostly apocalyptic scaremongering and bland deductions made by people with massive inferiority complexes but some of those people are public figures and they CAN have a negative effect on research. The mainstream has to be convinced as much as it is possible that, this is something that could be done and all of us can benefit from.

I think that the world needs to develop to the point where we can consider the possibility at the moment every one is infighting so much that the resources are not allocated in a way that is going to make this happen.

I disagree, we don't have to wait for anyone, we're already peaceful and humanitarian enough. Competition brews progress. I doubt we'll ever become a docile species void of conflict. Stagnation is way more dangerous than petty squabbling. And besides, in a society of people who can live for centuries, proxy governments are obsolete, we can eliminate a lot of the infighting if we remove the blind idealists from positions of power.

Whether we can have the technology for indefinite lifespans in the coming 3 or 4 decades, I believe it's not out of the question, but i highly doubt it. We will definitely have some kind of life extension treatment based on what we know and already have at the moment like anti oxidants and stem cells in the coming decades but apart from that I really can't predict how fast the research in this field will progress.

I got into this when I was a kid. Very typical, it was a way for me to battle with my thanatophobia. I started out by getting information about it from my parent who are also somewhat optimist about it. When I entered my teens I started reading about it on the net.
  • like x 3

#17 Marios Kyriazis

• 466 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:22 AM

So you think that an all out effort to be a part of a growing collective push for indefinite life extension can make it happen faster?

One avenue that you think can take us there is through becoming a GB so that our cells will want to naturally keep themselves healthy longer?
"sustained, intentional effort to embed oneself in the GB and increase meaningful input of cognitive information of sufficient magnitude into one’s brain. This will cause epigenetic changes that will repair and maintain somatic cells, reducing their risk of age-related death."

That's an interesting avenue, I'm not sure I've ever thought about that before.

Yes it will.
Biology works 'from simple to complex' and anything that can assist this proggression is bound to result in a situation that is beneficial to the 'aims' of biology. If we try to improve our mental complexity and intellectual sophistication by, for example, collectively push for longer lifespans, then this will make indefinite life extension more likely (based on biological and natural laws, nothing weird).

#18 RAFA

• 33 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

I think it will be possible in next 200 years or so,,,,,that is if we don't destroy ourselves or destroy earth before that. But we must develop a ability to colonize other planets or other solar systems before this happens. Indefinite life span will only destroy us if we don't have the resources to support those humans that will live forever.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#19 pmcglothin

• 111 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

I think the prospect for indefinite lifespan is great and may be able to happen within our lifetime. This is one reason Meredith an I work so hard on extending the boundaries of CR. We hope in the not too distant future to take advantage of that stem cell technology and organ replacement for biological rejuvenation. The CR Way will be a bridge that helps get us to that point and from there to escape velocity.

Paul

Edited by pmcglothin, 18 November 2011 - 03:18 PM.

• like x 1

#20 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

mrszeta, I think that plays an important role too. When the world is all together on the same page thinking about this, working with this, then it creates a whole new part to world culture as a whole, to the atmosphere. Memes are like currents, constantly shaping the world. One person can do one years worth of work in one year, but millions of people can do millions of years worth of work for a cause each year.

RAFA, It might take 200 years, it might take 500, it might take 5 or 40. Any of those numbers could be right, you might be right, but the most accurate way to state how long it will take for it to happen, seems to be that the answer to whether or not this is going to happen gets here in direct proportion to the collective speed at which the world goes to get there. That is a part of the theme of what mrszeta is talking about there. Since we dont know when day X will be, but we do know that we can turn up the throttle or not based on the percentage of the world that gets on board after we inform the industrialized world, then it becomes imperative that we inform the world asap. Consider that if the culmination of our goal could get here in 24 years, but we only get 10% of the world that would help with this in on it, and that pushes it back to 240 years, then we just cost roughly ... calculating ... 13 billion+ people their lives.

Paul, thats right, you never know, it could very well happen in our lifetimes, and we certainly cant afford to not go and see if that is true. For those that are right on the borderline of being able to survive long enough or not, CR is probably going to prove to mean indefinite life, or death to them.

#21 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

I think it can happen, but it'll be hard and there'll be no guarantees that the possibility means we'll actually accomplish it in time.

I support the idea vocally although not yet financially. I don't remember well how I got into it, it was many years ago. Possibly reading on Wikipedia.
  • like x 1

#22 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

I think it can happen, but it'll be hard and there'll be no guarantees that the possibility means we'll actually accomplish it in time.

I support the idea vocally although not yet financially. I don't remember well how I got into it, it was many years ago. Possibly reading on Wikipedia.

Supporting vocally is still some good support. By talking about it, you will raise awareness, which can only help. :)
  • like x 1

#23 jamesmr

• 9 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

I'm just re-learning how to navigate this maze... I want to post and converse about methods for life preservation... But anyway, yes, it's going to happen. How soon.. Maybe we need to acclimate the world to get the gears turning, or maybe it just needs to be done.

#24 jamesmr

• 9 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:18 AM

How I got into it? How did it get into me... I was struck by a bolt of lightning while I was mulling over the purpose of my life. It was epically religious.
  • Good Point x 1

#25 gray.bot

• 262 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

They proved a long long time ago that you can keep a cell alive forever.

We are built as perfect machines. We are designed to live forever.

Living forever is a reality, but you are going to need 2 things:

1 - a pretty healthy body, so start being healthy and doing everything you can to improve your chances
2 - a buttload of money, so start making money and figuring out how to become a billionaire.

It will be the very healthy private billionaires who are the first to live forever, guaranteed.
  • like x 1

#26 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

They proved a long long time ago that you can keep a cell alive forever.

We are built as perfect machines. We are designed to live forever.

Living forever is a reality, but you are going to need 2 things:

1 - a pretty healthy body, so start being healthy and doing everything you can to improve your chances
2 - a buttload of money, so start making money and figuring out how to become a billionaire.

It will be the very healthy private billionaires who are the first to live forever, guaranteed.

This is precisely why we need more activism and efforts put into achieving indefinite lifespans as soon as possible. Sooner the technology exists, the sooner it will become affordable for the majority and not just a few billionaires. As we are all currently on limited lifespans, we need to try to ensure we are even around when the price drops low enough for us to afford it.

Edited by cryonicsculture, 06 August 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#27 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

Brokenportal: What do you think about the prospects for indefinite life spans?

I admire your commitment to IL (Indefinite Life) but while life can be extended through various methods, I get hung up on “Indefinite.” I would like to believe but there are too many reasons to list here, to not think we are dealing with un-reality.

What I hope for is Life Extension, not Indefinite Life. Even if we extended life to 200 years, that is only a moment in time.

I came in here because of Derk Pearson and Sandy Shaw. I read their books on Life extension and later I studied and took supplements at Life Extension. I discovered this community in 2008 and joined. You don’t have to believe in indefinite life to support Longecity.

Anyway, thanks for all your work.

Edited by shadowhawk, 30 November 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#28 gray.bot

• 262 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

I admire your commitment to IL (Indefinite Life) but while life can be extended through various methods, I get hung up on “Indefinite.” I would like to believe but there are too many reasons to list here, to not think we are dealing with un-reality.

What I hope for is Life Extension, not Indefinite Life. Even if we extended life to 200 years, that is only a moment in time.

This is precisely why we need more activism and efforts put into achieving indefinite lifespans as soon as possible. Sooner the technology exists, the sooner it will become affordable for the majority and not just a few billionaires. As we are all currently on limited lifespans, we need to try to ensure we are even around when the price drops low enough for us to afford it.

Indefinite life is a reality.

Read the book 'live long enough to live forever'

Pretty much if you can make it to the point the technology exists then you will be able to be kept alive forever. BAM!

So you have thousands of years to live life totally afraid of getting in a car crash or dieing from an accident, because that will be the only thing that can take you out.

[This is precisely why we need more activism and efforts put into achieving indefinite lifespans as soon as possible. Sooner the technology exists, the sooner it will become affordable for the majority and not just a few billionaires. As we are all currently on limited lifespans, we need to try to ensure we are even around when the price drops low enough for us to afford it.

Things will be good when the technology is cheap enough for the masses, except the fact that we will experience severe over population of the planet. I'm betting on the healthy-billionaire-becomes-world-dictator scenario

Hint: Be my friend now and I'll give you a country and 1000 concubines as a gift. Annoy me and I'll put you in a coal mine (plus I'll extend you life forever so you will be working in the coal mine forever, muhahahaha)

#29 Thomas Cahir

• 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

Its the ultimate culmination of my life's work, we all dream so I say dream big!
Think of how much knowledge / experience is lost at death, imagine what could be achieved if all our great scientists
from even just the 20th century where still around?
As Dr. Aubrey de Grey postulates, once you get the ball rolling the possibilities become endless, I just hope I
wont be part of the last generation to die.

• like x 1

#30 gray.bot

• 262 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

TommyCat everything you say is pretty much along the lines of what I am thinking.

I'm pretty sure that we are kind of on the cusp of the generation. If we are super healthy I reckon we can make it - but the people our age who are super unhealthy, man they are gonna die!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: welcome, indefinite lifespans, support, thoughts, discussion, questions, Longecity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users