- - - - -

How much zinc is too much??

zinc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guardian4981

• 248 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

I started feeling a bit of a cold coming on last week, I took extra zinc. The cold went away and I decided to keep taking the extra zinc for a few days because it seemed to have other positive effects one me. My mood has improved, less anxiety and more confident. I find my libido is stronger and I just feel more “vibrant” overall. I have made no other changes in my diet and supplements or lifestyle.

But, I have been taking two 50mg doses before bed which based on RDA is like 700% of daily value! I have read on here the danger of taking too much of anything and agree for the most part. I am also concerned of this impact on copper as copper is important for hair health and I have genetically thin hair as it is.

Any input? Is taking this zinc a good or bad idea?

#2 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:13 PM

I take 30 mg of zinc glycinate daily. Two 50 mg doses seems a bit much.

Table 3: Tolerable Upper Intake Levels (ULs) for Zinc link:

http://ods.od.nih.go...thProfessional/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Guardian4981

• Topic Starter
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

Isn't it possible that some people may need more? I am a hard training athlete, perhaps my body's zinc is depleted faster?

#4 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:10 PM

You can do the zinc taste test (Thorne sells it cheap) and also ask your doctor for a zinc RBC. Mineral testing tends to be a bit iffy, but it's better than nothing.

If super deficient, you could take a higher dose w/copper, just to get your levels up. But I wouldn't suggest taking that much zinc longterm. 30mg or less would be safer.

You can also check out chronometer to calculate your zinc and copper dietary intakes.

#5 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

Most people are already zinc deficient thanks to copper water pipes. This in turn can lead to b vitamin deficiency and neurological disorders - stress / anxiety, depression, memory loss and other common issues.

Conversely, too much zinc will affect copper levels, which leads to iron deficiency, lethargy, reduced oxygen transport, nerve and brain function, depression (through inability to process tyrosine and degrading dopamine production) as well as other problems.

All in all, it's just another balancing act.
  • dislike x 1

#6 Getm

• 27 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

Most people are already zinc deficient thanks to copper water pipes.

Can you tell where to find more info about this ?

#7 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

This is for America. Note that 1.3mg/L copper in drinking water is acceptable there. If you fill up your bath and it has a green/blue tinge, that's a good indication of copper content. You absorb through your skin as well as drinking.

http://water.epa.gov...tion/copper.cfm

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 SocietyOfMind

• 23 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:40 AM

It might depend on how comfortable you are with antagonising copper. Dr Pickart seems quite confident that dietary copper (type 2) is an anti-aging strategy: reverseskinaging.com/copper.html

I take copper glycinate at lunch time, to avoid simultaneous intake with my vitamin C and zinc supplements.

Some more from a recent post by Dr Pickart:

The paper in the SOFW Journal which will be published this month has a description of the basic idea. When we get the PDF file, we will make it available to our clients.

Below is a short version of GHK's anti-cancer actions.

Recently, two compounds out of 1,309 tested, were found to suppress RNA production in 70% of 54 human genes associated with colon cancer metastasis.1 The first compound, GHK (Glycyl-L-Histidyl-L-Lysine), is a human copper-binding, skin-remodeling peptide and Securinine, the second compound is a plant alkaloid. This duo acts to heal wounds, remodel extracellular matrix proteins, and activate macrophages. GHK suppresses cancer metastasis genes at 1x10-6 M and securinine suppresses metastasis at 18x10-6 M.

This tripepeptide has high affinity for copper and is able obtain it from the surrounding biological milieu and also bind with cell receptors and extracellular matrix proteins. These unique properties combined with small size and mobility allows it to regulate copper transport and cell migration. Tripeptide’s copper complex GHK:copper(2+) induces regeneration and repair of aged skin, wounded skin, hair follicles, the stomach and intestinal linings, and bone tissue. The molecule also possesses a broad spectrum of anti-inflammatory activities that suppress inflammatory cytokines while increasing anti-oxidant proteins. 2,3

GHK's regenerative actions begin with its increase of protein P63 which maintains the proliferative capacity of adult stem cells.4 P63 is considered to have anti-senescence properties, foster genomic stability, and increase organismal longevity. The loss of P63 induces cellular senescence, and rapid, premature aging.5-7 Interestingly, research suggests that P63 may suppress cancer.8

Further support for the role of GHK in cancer suppression is based on the small proteoglycan called decorin discovered as a molecule that helps regulate collagen synthesis. GHK-copper(+2) increases the production of decorin.9 Apart of regulating collagen synthesis, decorin also possesses many regenerative and anti-inflammatory actions (regenerating nerves and muscles while suppressing scar formation) that are similar to the actions of GHK.3,4 However, decorin also suppresses tumor growth and metastasis of cancerous tissue (breast, prostate, osteosarcoma) in animal models.10-26

In summary, GHK, at low and non-toxic concentrations, possesses anti-cancer activities and also enhances stem cell proliferation. Thus, normal tissue remodeling and regenerative actions appear to suppress uncontrolled cell growth and may reduce the risk of cancer.

References

1. Hong Y, Downey T, Eu KW, et al. A 'metastasis-prone' signature for early-stage mismatch-repair proficient sporadic colorectal cancer patients and its implications for possible therapeutics. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2010;27:83-90.
2. Pickart L. The human tri-peptide GHK and tissue remodeling. J Biomater Sci Polym Ed. 2008;19:969-88.
3. Pickart L. The Human Tripeptide GHK (Glycyl-L-Histidyl-L-Lysine), The Copper Switch, and The Treatment of the Degenerative Diseases of Aging. In: Anti-Aging Therapeutics, Volume XI, 301-312, Chicago, IL, USA: American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, 2009.
4. Kang YA, Choi HR, Na JI, et al. Copper-GHK increases integrin expression and p63 positivity by keratinocytes. Arch Dermatol Res. 2009;301:301-6.
5. Su X, Flores ER. TAp63: The fountain of youth. Aging (Albany NY). 2009;1:866-9.
6. Keyes WM, Mills AA. p63: a new link between senescence and aging. Cell Cycle. 2006;5:260-5.
7. Beaudry VG, Attardi LD. SKP-ing TAp63: stem cell depletion, senescence, and premature aging. Cell Stem Cell. 2009;5:1-2.
8. Collavin L, Lunardi A, Del Sal G. p53-family proteins and their regulators: hubs and spokes in tumor suppression. Cell Death Differ. 2010 Apr 9. [Epub ahead of print] .
9. Siméon A, Wegrowski Y, Bontemps Y, Maquart FX. Expression of glycosaminoglycans and small proteoglycans in wounds: modulation by the tripeptide-copper complex glycyl-L-histidyl-L-lysine-Cu(2+). J Invest Dermatol. 2000;115:962-8.
10. Border WA, Noble NA, Yamamoto T, et al. Natural inhibitor of transforming growth factor-beta protects against scarring in experimental kidney disease. Nature. 1992;360:361-4.
11. Logan A, Baird A, Berry M. Decorin attenuates gliotic scar formation in the rat cerebral hemisphere. Exp Neurol. 1999;159:504-10.
12. Fukui N, Fukuda A, Kojima K, et al. Suppression of fibrous adhesion by proteoglycan decorin. J Orthop Res. 2001;19:456-62.
13. Fukushima K, Badlani N, Usas A, et al. The use of an antifibrosis agent to improve muscle recovery after laceration. Am J Sports Med. 2001;29:394-402.
14. Grisanti S, Szurman P, Warga M, et al. Decorin modulates wound healing in experimental glaucoma filtration surgery: a pilot study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2005;46:191-6.
15. Weis SM, Zimmerman SD, Shah M, et al. A role for decorin in the remodeling of myocardial infarction. Matrix Biol. 2005;24:313-24.
16. Zhang Z, Garron TM, Li XJ, et al. Recombinant human decorin inhibits TGF-beta1-induced contraction of collagen lattice by hypertrophic scar fibroblasts. Burns. 2009;35:527-37.
17. Davies JE, Tang X, Denning JW, et al. Decorin suppresses neurocan, brevican, phosphacan and NG2 expression and promotes axon growth across adult rat spinal cord injuries. Eur J Neurosci. 2004;19:1226-42.
18. Minor K, Tang X, Kahrilas G, et al. Decorin promotes robust axon growth on inhibitory CSPGs and myelin via a direct effect on neurons. Neurobiol Dis. 2008;32:88-95.
19. Davies JE, Tang X, Bournat JC, Davies SJ. Decorin promotes plasminogen/plasmin expression within acute spinal cord injuries and by adult microglia in vitro. J Neurotrauma. 2006;23:397-408.
20. Li Y, Li J, Zhu J, Sun B, et al. Decorin gene transfer promotes muscle cell differentiation and muscle regeneration. Mol Ther. 2007;15:1616-22.
21. Reed CC, Waterhouse A, Kirby S, et al. Decorin prevents metastatic spreading of breast cancer. Oncogene. 2005;24:1104-10.
22. Shintani K, Matsumine A, Kusuzaki K, et al. Decorin suppresses lung metastases of murine osteosarcoma. Oncol Rep. 2008;19:1533-9.
23. Goldoni S, Seidler DG, Heath J, et al.An antimetastatic role for decorin in breast cancer. Am J Pathol. 2008;173:844-55.
24. Goldoni S, Iozzo RV. Tumor microenvironment: Modulation by decorin and related molecules harboring leucine-rich tandem motifs. Int J Cancer. 2008;123:2473-9.
25. Araki K, Wakabayashi H, Shintani K, et al. Decorin suppresses bone metastasis in a breast cancer cell line. Oncology. 2009;77:92-9.
26. Hu Y, Sun H, Owens RT, et al. Decorin suppresses prostate tumor growth through inhibition of epidermal growth factor and androgen receptor pathways. Neoplasia. 2009;11:1042-53.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zinc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users