Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Methylene Blue Dosing and Products

• Please log in to reply
382 replies to this topic

#61 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

This is amazing. I titrated down and took about 15 pL (sic), feeling a pronouced effect. I haven't looked into this, but it must be enzymatic.

#62 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

15 pL

That's 15 pL of the MB solution ?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 niner

• Topic Starter
  • 16,276 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:51 PM

This is amazing. I titrated down and took about 15 pL (sic), feeling a pronouced effect. I haven't looked into this, but it must be enzymatic.

You don't mean picoliter, do you? A picoliter is 1/1000 of a nanoliter, or a billionth of a cc. What did it feel like?

#64 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:56 PM

Yes, pico. I started with a ~2% solution and factored that in, so it should approx. be 15 ng or 47 pmol of MB, giving me a metabolic rush like with higher doses. Could be MAO inhibition or involving the redox oscillation.
  • dislike x 1

#65 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

Is there a reliable online source for true MB?

#66 bdoris

• 101 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

Is there a reliable online source for true MB?

You could easily buy it from your own pharmacy. So, you'll get most likely 'true' Methylene Blue.

Otherwise, I saw an interesting source in eBay, for laboratory use - so I assume it must be pretty pure.

http://cgi.befr.ebay...=item35ac0dc9e6

Which seems reliable and for larger quantities would be a good choice. Price is okay-ish too. 25g is cheaper, though 500g is much more cheap per weight so for long term use it may be perhaps a better choice.

Edited by bdoris, 13 June 2011 - 04:59 PM.

#67 niner

• Topic Starter
  • 16,276 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:14 PM

Price is okay-ish too. 25g is cheaper, though 500g is much more cheap per weight so for long term use it may be perhaps a better choice.

At 15ng/day, 500g would last 91 million years. At 60mcg/day, it would last 22.8 thousand years. I guess that's still long term use...

#68 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

Haha, that's not even once in a blue moon. At least it should shelf longer than the 2% solutions which are said to loose effectiveness after half a year or so.

#69 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:07 PM

Haha, that's not even once in a blue moon. At least it should shelf longer than the 2% solutions which are said to loose effectiveness after half a year or so.

Damn. Is this true? I've my my bottle for a couple years now. Should I refresh my stock?

#70 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

Price is okay-ish too. 25g is cheaper, though 500g is much more cheap per weight so for long term use it may be perhaps a better choice.

At 15ng/day, 500g would last 91 million years. At 60mcg/day, it would last 22.8 thousand years. I guess that's still long term use...

Remember, Longecity is also known as the Immortality Institute. We are planning ahead.
  • like x 5

#71 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

Damn. Is this true? I've my my bottle for a couple years now. Should I refresh my stock?

Read it somewhere. Could of course be a marketing ploy (buy 2 get one free...). Just don't say i didn't warn you when you gulp it down.

#72 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:11 AM

Now I am really curious... I can't find a "certificate of analysis" for any methyl blue fish tank (or equally inexpensive) products. Anyone know of a company that would provide one?

#73 aaron43

• 143 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:22 AM

Now I am really curious... I can't find a "certificate of analysis" for any methyl blue fish tank (or equally inexpensive) products. Anyone know of a company that would provide one?

Kordon Methylene Blue. Its at aquarium shops, costs about $7, widely used. If it didn't match a certificate of analysis, it wouldn't work with fish, and would not be used, sort of like hydrogen peroxide. The only ingredient in it is Methylene Blue, which is an anti-fungal, anti-microbial ect so you don't have to worry about any contamination.

For Dosing look at this:

Hi all! I'm one of the Methylene blue experimenters on the earlier thread. I've been taking it pretty regularly for a number of weeks now and have not had any bad effects. In fact, I've had a lot of good effects. Given the cheap price and what not I'm going to take this stuff indefinitely. Anyway, The way I currently take it is I put 6 to 7 drops of the 2% solution in a 1 liter San Pellegrino bottle and pour myself a small cup and drink it. If I drink it in the morning, the effects tend to last throughout the day. When I first got into this, I put one drop on my tounge and dyed my tounge a ridiculous blue color. After that, I switched to putting 1 drop in 1 liter of water and taking sips from it. After that I slowly upped the dosage. I don't think there's any benefit to more than the current dosage I'm taking.

The problem is getting a standard drop. There should be 20 per ml, but his can vary with the viscosity of the fluid and the size of the dropper. The standard 30 ml bottle with a medicine dropper should be pretty close to the standard

From a pharmacist's post in Sci.life-extension

fish methylene blue
is 2.303% w/v so that is 2.303 grams in 100cc of distilled purified
water. Take a ml or 1/100th = 23 mg / ml (1ml = 1 dropperful) .. Take
2 ml or 2 dropperfuls = 46mg , place it in 30ml water and you get a
dilution of 1.53 mg /ml. There 20 drops to a ml in a medicine
dropper, so 1.53 mg divided by 20 = .075 mg which is 75 microgram- we
only want 60mcg, so let's go back to the 2 dropperfuls X 60mcg/75mcg =
1.6 dropperful in 30 ml medicinal dropper bottle and qs to 30ml which
now gives the 60mcg per DROP!

In short, 1.6 ml of fish-store MB in 28.4 ml of distilled water, at 20 drops to the ml, one drop gives a 60 mcg dose. Or use Perrier. Whatever floats your boat.
To be precise one can buy measuring equipment, including tenths-of-a-milliliter accurate pipettes in a drug store, the section with medicine dispensers.

Edited by aaron43, 21 June 2011 - 05:23 AM.

#74 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

One problem with MB in this context is that it is quickly metabolized. To get the effect seen in Ames' rodent studies, one would have to take the 60 microgram dose perhaps as often as every hour.

#75 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

Isn´t it taken intravenously? If you had a soft drop- syringe in your arm it would be easy to give yourself therapy. Sad that this drug was discontinued, it could along with therapy be very beneficial to people who have been struggling with social phobia, stress and lack of self- control. They just promote those damn benzo´s which often makes them dependant for life! The discontinuation of benzo is horrible, I've heard heroin- addicts proclaim that withdrawing benzo is harder than quitting heroin.

http://en.wikipedia....drawal_syndrome

#76 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

Isn´t it taken intravenously? If you had a soft drop- syringe in your arm it would be easy to give yourself therapy. Sad that this drug was discontinued, it could along with therapy be very beneficial to people who have been struggling with social phobia, stress and lack of self- control. They just promote those damn benzo´s which often makes them dependant for life! The discontinuation of benzo is horrible, I've heard heroin- addicts proclaim that withdrawing benzo is harder than quitting heroin.

Um, what are you talking about? MB is absorbed quite well orally.

#77 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

My bad!

#78 aaron43

• 143 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

I read the half life for MB was about ~5 hours.

Im giving MB a try today

#79 niner

• Topic Starter
  • 16,276 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:09 PM

Here's a pharmacokinetics paper. They estimate T1/2 at 5.25hr based on i.v. administration, which is probably pretty close to what you would see with oral administration. This was with a 100mg dose. Would the PK change at microgram dosing levels? I don't know. Offhand I'd guess not, but it's a question.

Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2000 Jun;56(3):247-50.
Pharmacokinetics and organ distribution of intravenous and oral methylene blue.
Peter C, Hongwan D, Küpfer A, Lauterburg BH.

Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Bern, Switzerland.

OBJECTIVE:

To determine the pharmacokinetics and organ distribution of i.v. and oral methylene blue, which is used to prevent ifosfamide-induced encephalopathy in oncology.
METHODS:

The concentration of methylene blue in whole blood was measured using high-performance liquid chromatography in seven volunteers after i.v. and oral administration of 100 mg methylene blue with and without mesna. The distribution of methylene blue in different tissues was measured in rats after intraduodenal and i.v. application.
RESULTS:

The time course of methylene blue in whole blood after i.v. administration showed a multiphasic time course with an estimated terminal half-life of 5.25 h. Following oral administration, the area under the concentration-time curve was much lower (9 nmol/min/ml vs 137 nmol/min/ml). Co-administration of mesna, which could influence distribution by ion-pairing, did not alter the pharmacokinetics. The urinary excretion of methylene blue and its leucoform was only moderately higher after i.v. administration (18% vs 28% dose). Intraduodenal administration to rats resulted in higher concentrations in intestinal wall and liver but lower concentrations in whole blood and brain than i.v. methylene blue.
CONCLUSIONS:

Differences in organ distribution of methylene blue are mainly responsible for the different pharmacokinetics after oral and i.v. administration. If methylene blue acts in the liver, where ifosfamide is primarily activated to reactive and potentially toxic metabolites, oral and i.v. methylene blue are likely to be equally effective. However, if the site of action is the central nervous system, i.v. methylene blue which results in much higher concentrations in brain seems preferable.

PMID: 10952480

• like x 1

#80 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

I read the half life for MB was about ~5 hours.

Im giving MB a try today

I hope that you dont get the wrong one!

#81 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:14 PM

Isn't there just a isomer of uracil that you can order from some internet- pharmacy?

I really dont like any studies of a drug that says DNA.....!

Besides methylene blue is labelled toxic, even in chem- school?

Toxic is right! Methylene Blue is a microdrug. Check its MSDS sheet: http://www.sciencest...msds/C2100.html

Playing around with pure methylene blue is no joke. If you are going to handle it, make sure it is in a diluted solution.

#82 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

Stop man, you can't even buy MB pure. Even if you did, your not gonna die like you just made it sound. Doctors deem it safe enough to use in high amounts so its not like cyanide which your makin it sound like or even recreational drugs that thousands of people use but doctors dont. If you take Vitamin C in high doses, your likely to have ill effects...so in turn...Vitamin C is no joke.

I admit that my answer was incomplete. The safety hazards were for of pure methylene blue. It was given a health hazard rating of 2 in its purest form. If ingested, the chemical should be diluted and puked up. If on the skin, washed off. If in the eyes, rinsed for 15 minutes. The reason why I was mentioning all this was NOT to discredit the years of research and success stories. If you felt that it was my intention, I am sorry.

The reason is because you CAN buy it in pure form (or concentrated) as a science lab die, and this is not something people should be trying to dose without diluting first. I don't want someone to buy the high concentration stuff, leave it lying around, and have a kid playing with it or a drunk friend try to turn his piss blue. I don't want teenagers putting it in their drink after finding it in their science lab because some forum on the internet said it was awesome. Whose a teen gonna listen to... parents? teacher? OR the internet... Longecity gets pretty high rankings in the search results. I suspect that's how most of us got here...

With that said, the fish tank stuff is fine... it's already diluted.

Vitamin C is an acid in pure form. Too much can cause mouth sores. Hahaha, I just love poking the scorpion with a stick. Cyanide... yeah that's no joke.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#83 DaneV

• 98 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

I can't imaging striking up that conversation..."hey, I'd like to drink this fish tank stuff..." Umm... :wacko:

I`ve just spit coke over my keyboard reading this :laugh:

Edited by DaneV, 28 June 2011 - 06:40 PM.

#84 snuffie

• 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:33 AM

Found this chemicals company in Canada that supplies university labs among other things...don't know if they ship to individuals though...

http://www.anachemia.com/

Anachemia Part Number 58846-320
Description METHYLENE BLUE 1% AQ SOLUTION (500ML)
Price 71.40

Here's the link to the MSDS: http://www.anachemia...glish/r3280.pdf

#85 snuffie

• 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

Aha! Found a small bottle of methylene blue 2% solution in a pharmacy in Quebec (Canada). The drug store is called "Uniprix". 25mL for $4.39, made by Laboratoire Atlas in Montreal. It is sold as a topical antiseptic and sits on the shelf next to the bottles of iodine (makes sense). It is labelled with DIN 00050474. No product monograph available on the Health Canada website.

Now I just have to figure out the dilution...

Posted Image

#86 aaron43

• 143 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:23 AM

Dosing Explained:

fish methylene blue
is 2.303% w/v so that is 2.303 grams in 100cc of distilled purified
water. Take a ml or 1/100th = 23 mg / ml (1ml = 1 dropperful) .. Take
2 ml or 2 dropperfuls = 46mg , place it in 30ml water and you get a
dilution of 1.53 mg /ml. There 20 drops to a ml in a medicine
dropper, so 1.53 mg divided by 20 = .075 mg which is 75 microgram- we
only want 60mcg, so let's go back to the 2 dropperfuls X 60mcg/75mcg =
1.6 dropperful in 30 ml medicinal dropper bottle and qs to 30ml which
now gives the 60mcg per DROP!

In short, 1.6 ml of fish-store MB in 28.4 ml of distilled water, at 20 drops to the ml, one drop gives a 60 mcg dose. Or use Perrier. Whatever floats your boat.
To be precise one can buy measuring equipment, including tenths-of-a-milliliter accurate pipettes in a drug store, the section with medicine dispensers.

Explained More: Get a eye dropper from CVS like they are like 2 dollars. Fill up 30 ml of water which is about 1/8 of a cup and keep it to the side. With a ~2% concentration MB, (1 eye dropper full is about 20 drops...there is 20 drops to a mL in standard eye droppers). Put 2 dropperfuls (which is 2 mL...which is 40 drops) of 2% MB into the 30mL of water already prepared in a cup. Create another 1/8 cup (30mL) of water without MB and put it to the side. Take ~36 drops from the previous mixture of MB and water, and then transfer that to the new 30mL of water. Then you have about 60 micrograms per drop when taken from the new mixture.

Edited by aaron43, 30 June 2011 - 08:25 AM.

#87 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

Found this chemicals company in Canada that supplies university labs among other things...don't know if they ship to individuals though...

http://www.anachemia.com/

Anachemia Part Number 58846-320
Description METHYLENE BLUE 1% AQ SOLUTION (500ML)
Price 71.40

Here's the link to the MSDS: http://www.anachemia...glish/r3280.pdf

Pretty outrageously expensive for a 1% solution if you ask me.......

#88 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:19 AM

Just received my Methylene Blue yesterday and started taking it today, I honestly can't tell if I got any effects from it. I used the method above to measure out the solution (I got Kordon's MB from Amazon, got a 30mL cup and put 20 drops of MB into the cup, then 36 drops of the solution into another 30mL cup of water, then dosed a drop from the new solution for roughly 60mcg I'm assuming). The water with the one drop of the solution didn't even change the color of the water..and I haven't noticed any discoloration effects for myself..what is a logical dosing schedule for 60mcg? (Once every couple hours or so?) I only took one 60mcg serving today..thanks.

You diluted it too much.
1 drop of Kordon's = 1.15mg of MB.
So 1 drop of your final solution would be 2.3 mcg.

#89 Spectre

• 208 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:02 AM

Just received my Methylene Blue yesterday and started taking it today, I honestly can't tell if I got any effects from it. I used the method above to measure out the solution (I got Kordon's MB from Amazon, got a 30mL cup and put 20 drops of MB into the cup, then 36 drops of the solution into another 30mL cup of water, then dosed a drop from the new solution for roughly 60mcg I'm assuming). The water with the one drop of the solution didn't even change the color of the water..and I haven't noticed any discoloration effects for myself..what is a logical dosing schedule for 60mcg? (Once every couple hours or so?) I only took one 60mcg serving today..thanks.

You diluted it too much.
1 drop of Kordon's = 1.15mg of MB.
So 1 drop of your final solution would be 2.3 mcg.

2.3mcg? How so? 40 drops @ 1.15mg would be 46mg of MB for the first solution with 30mL of water, then 36 drops of that solution put into an additional 30mL of water, and using a drop from the second solution as my dose. I went by aaron43's formulation to obtain 60mcg per dose..did I do improperly dose it? Should a 60mcg dose of MB put into 4 ounces of water noticeably change the color?

Edited by Spectre, 01 July 2011 - 06:05 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#90 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

2.3mcg? How so? 40 drops @ 1.15mg would be 46mg of MB for the first solution with 30mL of water, then 36 drops of that solution put into an additional 30mL of water, and using a drop from the second solution as my dose. I went by aaron43's formulation to obtain 60mcg per dose..did I do improperly dose it? Should a 60mcg dose of MB put into 4 ounces of water noticeably change the color?

Wait, Is the first dilution 40 drops in 30mL?
Assuming that is right rather than the previous post which said 20 drops in 30mL.

First, 1mL = 20 drops.
30mL = 600 drops.

So total transferred to second 30mL of water = 46mg/600*36 = 2.76mg
1 drop of second solution = 2.76mg/600 = 4.6mcg

I'm pretty sure 60mcg does change the color, but 5mcg may not.

What you want to do is to dilute 32 drops of the Kordon's solution into 30mL of water.
That would yield 1.15*32/600 ~ 60mcg

Edit: 32 drops, not 36.

Edited by rwac, 01 July 2011 - 03:16 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (3)