382 replies to this topic

#91 aaron43

• 143 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:38 PM

"...Take 2 ml or 2 dropperfuls = 46mg , place it in 30ml water and you get a
dilution of 1.53 mg /ml. There 20 drops to a ml in a medicine
dropper, so 1.53 mg divided by 20 = .075 mg which is 75 microgram- we
only want 60mcg..."
- this is quoted from a supposed professor who was emailed, I got it from another message board. So is this math wrong? and is it 5 micrograms that im getting these benefits from?

40 drops into a 30 mL water solution. THen 36 drops from that solution into another 30 mL of water is not 60 micrograms? It changes the water definitely blue in the solution that i take the single drops from for consumption, but when I add one drop of the solution into a cup of water, there is no change in color, after all, it is one drop of a twice diluted dye into a cup of water

Edited by aaron43, 01 July 2011 - 04:57 PM.

#92 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

"...Take 2 ml or 2 dropperfuls = 46mg , place it in 30ml water and you get a
dilution of 1.53 mg /ml. There 20 drops to a ml in a medicine
dropper, so 1.53 mg divided by 20 = .075 mg which is 75 microgram- we
only want 60mcg..."
- this is quoted from a supposed professor who was emailed, I got it from another message board. So is this math wrong? and is it 5 micrograms that im getting these benefits from?

40 drops into a 30 mL water solution. THen 36 drops from that solution into another 30 mL of water is not 60 micrograms? It changes the water definitely blue in the solution that i take the single drops from for consumption, but when I add one drop of the solution into a cup of water, there is no change in color, after all, it is one drop of a twice diluted dye into a cup of water

He's saying that 40 drops in 30mL will be 75mcg/drop, which is a bit high, so INSTEAD use 32 drops in 30mL.
Yes, you can definitely get benefits from 5mcg.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 aaron43

• 143 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

o shit that makes sense. good good post man.
Then I probably am gonna try 60 micrograms tomorrow, because iv only been doin 5 micrograms. Coulda fooled me because, yes, yes you can definetly feel effects from 5 micrograms, it might be even the way to go, but I can't really say that until I try 60 micrograms. All i can say is for me personally just 5 mcg dose of MB has helped more than any other nootropic, and I look forward to trying a 60 microgram dose and seeing what it has to offer.
Thanks for the post rwac

#94 Spectre

• 208 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

Haha, guess I'll just try 10 drops from the last solution and see how it affects me, thanks for the clarification :)

#95 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

o shit that makes sense. good good post man.
Then I probably am gonna try 60 micrograms tomorrow, because iv only been doin 5 micrograms. Coulda fooled me because, yes, yes you can definetly feel effects from 5 micrograms, it might be even the way to go, but I can't really say that until I try 60 micrograms. All i can say is for me personally just 5 mcg dose of MB has helped more than any other nootropic, and I look forward to trying a 60 microgram dose and seeing what it has to offer.
Thanks for the post rwac

Don't be in a big hurry, In this case more is not better, Increase it slowly and gradually.
Go by whatever dose works for you.
Maybe try 10mcg next.

#96 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:49 PM

Just thought I'd make and add this in for those unfamiliar with concentrations and dilutions....

Posted Image

• like x 6

#97 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:13 AM

Hey guys, I should read through the thread but I have to admit I'm being lazy. Where is the best place to get MB?
  • dislike x 1

#98 bdoris

• 101 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:21 AM

Hey guys, I should read through the thread but I have to admit I'm being lazy. Where is the best place to get MB?

Google?

An aquarium accessories shop? eBay? Your pharmacy?

It would have taken you less time to find those answers than to type the post (with google) - so much for being lazy, you ended up doing more work.

#99 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

Google?

It would have taken you less time to find those answers than to type the post (with google) - so much for being lazy, you ended up doing more work.

Hey thanks for assistance! How old are you? Probably entirely too young to be getting bothered by my laziness. Then again, your youth and immaturity probably has something to do with your response. I just wanted to know if there was a specific source that was preferred amongst users, maybe this is what I should have emphasized. I was lazy mostly due to being up late and tired, so I could have posted that differently. How did I do too much work again? By making a post that took less than a minute? Come on dude, get a life, get out, and lighten up a bit.

Edited by MorganM, 04 July 2011 - 05:13 PM.

• dislike x 4

#100 ayu

• 14 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

I bought this Rid-All Methylene Blue 1% from ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...6#ht_681wt_1141

And then I diluted it approximately how Lufega did here.
http://www.longecity...ue/page__st__90

A 2.303% solution is 2.303 grams MB per 100 ml solution or 23 mg/ml.
There are 20 drops to a ml so each drop will have 1.15 mg MB. Now, I
take 32 drops of this (which equals 36.8 mg MB) and add it to 30 ml
water. This will equal 1.23 mg/ml. This divided by 20 = 0.0613 mg per
drop, or 60 micrograms.

Only dosed twice so far. I do feel a little sharper, but nothing really distinguishable from placebo. I'll post back when I get more info.

One thing I did notice (could just be coincidental) was I think I gained 1 lb of water weight. I eat zero carbs and I generally don't get that unless I eat over 20-30g of carbs in a day.

#101 Spectre

• 208 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

Google?

I shopped all over town to find the stuff, no one seems to carry it anymore (went to Petsmart, aquarium shops, etc.) I ended up ordering 2 bottles of the stuff on Amazon, $10 after shipping for 2 4oz bottles..which will last me over a year, lol. Can't really beat that.

#102 snuffie

• 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:00 AM

hey, could someone please check my math?

have 2% solution MB; 1mL MB in 20mL water = 50mcg per drop (from eyedropper, 20 drops per mL)

thanks in advance :)

#103 snuffie

• 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:42 AM

After striking out at a few pharmacies and aquarium/pet stores, I found it at a pharmacy (in Quebec), on the shelf next to the iodine.

#104 niner

• Topic Starter
  • 16,276 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:43 AM

have 2% solution MB; 1mL MB in 20mL water = 50mcg per drop (from eyedropper, 20 drops per mL)

The 2% here is a weight percent, which means 2 grams of MB per 100 grams of solution. Since it is a dilute solution of a small molecule, it is safe to consider 1 gram of solution = 1 ml of solution, which would be strictly true for pure water at 25 C and 1 atm pressure. I'm assuming here that you took 1 ml and diluted it to a total of 20 ml, i.e. you added 19 ml. If you added 20 ml for a total of 21, then this is off by a bit. If so, change both 20's to 21 and recalculate.

1 ml * (.02g/ml) = 0.02g MB

.02gMB/20ml = 0.001g MB / 1 ml

0.001g/ml * (1ml/20 drops) = 5e-5 g/drop = 50 mcg/drop.

If you diluted as I've assumed, then your calculations are correct.

#105 snuffie

• 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

The 2% here is a weight percent, which means 2 grams of MB per 100 grams of solution. Since it is a dilute solution of a small molecule, it is safe to consider 1 gram of solution = 1 ml of solution, which would be strictly true for pure water at 25 C and 1 atm pressure. I'm assuming here that you took 1 ml and diluted it to a total of 20 ml, i.e. you added 19 ml. If you added 20 ml for a total of 21, then this is off by a bit. If so, change both 20's to 21 and recalculate.

hey thanks very much; i appreciate it! :) i did make the mistake of adding 20 ml. glad to know how to do it properly for the next batch.

#106 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

Aha! Found a small bottle of methylene blue 2% solution in a pharmacy in Quebec (Canada). The drug store is called "Uniprix". 25mL for $4.39, made by Laboratoire Atlas in Montreal. It is sold as a topical antiseptic and sits on the shelf next to the bottles of iodine (makes sense). It is labelled with DIN 00050474. No product monograph available on the Health Canada website.

Now I just have to figure out the dilution...

Posted Image

Expensive, but if its sold as an local antiseptic, one can be reasonably sure its of good purity...

#107 niner

• Topic Starter
  • 16,276 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

hey thanks very much; i appreciate it! :) i did make the mistake of adding 20 ml. glad to know how to do it properly for the next batch.

No problem. Hey, I just realized that you should only change the first 20 to 21; the other 20 is drops/ml which shouldn't change. If your methylene blue is really 2.00%, then you currently have 47.6 mcg per drop, but if it's really the more common 2.303% solution, then you presently have 54.8 mcg/drop. This assumes a ml is really 20 drops. That can vary with different droppers.

#108 snuffie

• 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

No problem. Hey, I just realized that you should only change the first 20 to 21; the other 20 is drops/ml which shouldn't change. If your methylene blue is really 2.00%, then you currently have 47.6 mcg per drop, but if it's really the more common 2.303% solution, then you presently have 54.8 mcg/drop. This assumes a ml is really 20 drops. That can vary with different droppers.

Hmm...the label just says 2% solution, no decimals, but I was assuming it was a 2.00% solution because I bought it from the pharmacy. Looking up the DIN didn't yield any decimals either. I suppose that unless I contact the manufacturer, I will just have to live dangerously. And I did test the dropper to ensure it was 20 drops/ml, although I still doubt that it's very accurate.

#109 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

Isn't there just a isomer of uracil that you can order from some internet- pharmacy?

I really dont like any studies of a drug that says DNA.....!

Besides methylene blue is labelled toxic, even in chem- school?

Sorry, I meant Uriced damn DNA reports confused me!
http://www.ctg123.co...quest/?p=URISED

Beware if you are taking these.....
http://www.drugs.com...ate,urised.html

Edited by Brainfogged, 12 July 2011 - 09:35 AM.

#110 niner

• Topic Starter
  • 16,276 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:19 PM

Isn't there just a isomer of uracil that you can order from some internet- pharmacy?

This is heaping misinformation on misinformation. Urised has four different compounds in it, only one of which is methylene blue. That would be a terrible source of MB, when it's so easy to find in pure form. Compounds are sometimes labeled 'toxic' because the seller doesn't want to be considered responsible if some idiot drinks a pint of it. MB is a medicine with a very long history of use at high dosage, and its toxicity is well understood. It is not toxic at anything remotely close to the doses being considered here. Finally, those drug interactions are mainly due to the hyoscyamine, methenamine, phenyl salicylate in Urised, and possibly to the 100 times larger dose of MB than we're talking about. There are no dangerous drug interactions with MB at sub-milligram doses, though a few compounds like ubiquin-ol/one might interfere with its action.

#111 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:15 AM

man, i dont have time to read all this, but it seems from what i got i need to only 60 macrograms of this of MB and it can work better with Fish Oil and Piracetam.

i would like to know if MB comes in liquid form when you buy it or you have to make it liquid somehow? with that said, where can you get a dropper that measues in Macrograms?

#112 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

This is heaping misinformation on misinformation. Urised has four different compounds in it, only one of which is methylene blue. That would be a terrible source of MB, when it's so easy to find in pure form. Compounds are sometimes labeled 'toxic' because the seller doesn't want to be considered responsible if some idiot drinks a pint of it. MB is a medicine with a very long history of use at high dosage, and its toxicity is well understood. It is not toxic at anything remotely close to the doses being considered here. Finally, those drug interactions are mainly due to the hyoscyamine, methenamine, phenyl salicylate in Urised, and possibly to the 100 times larger dose of MB than we're talking about. There are no dangerous drug interactions with MB at sub-milligram doses, though a few compounds like ubiquin-ol/one might interfere with its action.

I just had some issues with MB in the beginning but after reading about the dilution Im positive its not dangerous.

Also I was looking for a prepared medication for the convenience of not needing to go through the mess, MB colours everything!

Thank you for clearing up the dangers about Uriced!

Im just gonna buy thee fishtank stuff.

#113 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:05 AM

I am now taking 60 mcg of methylene blue every 6 hours, twice per day. I can confirm that my urine did not turn blue at this dose (Although I'll update you guys if it does :P). I am holding off to comment on whether or not I feel more energetic, because I want to give it a few days time to work. However, it seems that I do have more energy and my mind feels a bit sharper -- this could be a placebo, of course.

I bought my 1% methylene blue here: http://www.amazon.co...duct/B001DB4UTC

#114 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

... for example, that's 5mL of solution plus 90mL [(19-1)*5=90] of water. I'm using 1mL micro pipettes from Flowing Visions, so is that drop size smaller or still 0.05mL?

Drop sizes cn vary by plus or minus 20%, and size of the oriface influencess the drop size; I doubt this will be the same as a standard medicine dropper. Perhaps one can use a micro-pipette for dispensing.

#115 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:32 AM

need a time release pill.

#116 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

can regular water you drink from your home be used with MB or is it only distilled water that can be used?

#117 Isochroma

• 791 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:57 PM

I use regular water. It works fine, and so does the vitamin c solution (mix of ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate) I take in the morning along with vitamins.

maxwatt: Time-release MB: it doesn't work and it's a pain in the gut too. The Rember study - see my next post for the details - specifically found two problems with their - accidentally slowly releasing pill - first, the absorption through intestine caused the wrong species to be predominant, and two that it caused intestinal irritation.

In contrast, taking MB in solution or fast-dissolving tablet means most is absorbed through the stomach lining. This means the molecule retains the correct oxidation state and also decreases the amount remaining to be absorbed, thus preventing large amounts from irritating the intestine.

The Rember study used 60mg three times per day - that is the dosing schedule required due to MB's short half-life - even orally.

Edited by Isochroma, 17 July 2011 - 08:15 PM.

#118 ap00

• 10 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:50 AM

I know it's redundant, so I'm sorry to ask, but how are people measuring proper dosages? 1 drop seems a bit crude; I purchased kordon's solution btw. Thanks

#119 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:27 AM

I know it's redundant, so I'm sorry to ask, but how are people measuring proper dosages? 1 drop seems a bit crude; I purchased kordon's solution btw. Thanks

Get a graduated dropper, pipette, or syringe. You can also do the measurement in ml.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#120 ap00

• 10 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

Get a graduated dropper, pipette, or syringe. You can also do the measurement in ml.

Ok, so what is the best way to measure it out?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users