Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Methylene Blue Experiences

• Please log in to reply
492 replies to this topic

#241 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:45 AM

How long did you continue that level of dosing? How would you describe the effects of dosing that amount?

#242 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:51 AM

I've just been increasing the dosages and haven't noticed any effects yet. I started with one drop and moved up to two, then three, and so on. I've been taking it about two weeks now but just once in the morning because it's a bit difficult to transport around with me (more like I don't feel like spending the time to prepare it).

But no noticeable effects. Is there such a thing as a methylene blue non-responder? Maybe that shady aquarium shop I went to sold me blue food coloring? (nevermind, it loses color in vitamin c...) Maybe Mr. Happy was right about having to wait two weeks for effects... Not sure.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#243 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:56 AM

Hmm, by any chance do you pee excessively? Wondering if it gets diluted a lot on the way out.

#244 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:02 AM

This would be the first case of a non-responder that I can think of after having read through both of the big threads on MB. Did you ever try the ug doses first? Maybe you would feel more at 60ug than 10mg?

#245 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:08 AM

Hmm, by any chance do you pee excessively? Wondering if it gets diluted a lot on the way out.

I thought that might be it so I waited till after the first pee of the day, then dosed and didn't drink any water (besides what I diluted it with in the glass). I know drops are not uniform in size by any means, but that should be at least 11mgs or so right?

This would be the first case of a non-responder that I can think of after having read through both of the big threads on MB. Did you ever try the ug doses first? Maybe you would feel more at 60ug than 10mg?

I'll give it a go next week if I'm still not noticing anything from these larger doses.

#246 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

I'm still catching up on a close reading of this substance, but I think this is probably a good suggestion. I seem to recall a bell-shaped effect curve mentioned several times.

As for non-response, I guess that depends on what kind of response one is looking for. I've skimmed through both threads several times this week, and seem to recall several people who don't really notice much, subjectively.

I just ordered a 4oz bottle of Kardon from Amazon. Largely because I want to avoid any MAO inhibition, I'll probably stick to 100mcg or less. TBH, I'm not really expecting much out of it; I'm regarding this more as a mid- to long-term neural health measure, and maybe to help clear up some mental fog.

[Yesterday I split off a MAOI thread. Today I'll work on one for dosing, maybe nootropic and non-nootropic research, and some of the more specific categories Mr Happy mentioned (if there's enough for full threads)]
  • like x 3

#247 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

Is there anything I should "feel" from 60 mcg x3/day dose? or any supplement to add?
From aaron43´s experience I thought it was noticeable but for me it is not.

Edited by noos, 10 October 2011 - 04:58 PM.

#248 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

On the positive side, thanks for confirming a much earlier post that 15-20mg is the threshold for urine discolouration.

#249 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

Took my first 50microgram dose today. Felt a weird "drugged" like sensation 20 minutes in, lasted a very short while.
CLEAN surges of energy, motivation and toleration/patience throughout the day. Kind of felt like a noopept megadose, but more subtle.
Definitely adding this to my regimen.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#250 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:43 AM

Took my first 50microgram dose today. Felt a weird "drugged" like sensation 20 minutes in, lasted a very short while.
CLEAN surges of energy, motivation and toleration/patience throughout the day. Kind of felt like a noopept megadose, but more subtle.

So you just dosed once and noticed benefits all day huh. I'm noticing effects last for a while myself. I took far too much though I think- especially since I'm taking 100 mg Zoloft and about 1.75 mg Lexapro(going to drop it think, scaling back). I took about 250 mcg twice yesterday and 250 mcg once this morning. I was agitated and scatter brained from 9 am to 4 pm, it sucked. I definitely think there was some MAO inhibition reacting badly with the SSRIs. Yesterday after my first dose I felt scattered and hyper for about 20 minutes, then things smoothed out and I felt pretty good. Maybe there is some cumulative effect going on here where the effect of latter doses becomes more powerful.

#251 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

So you just dosed once and noticed benefits all day huh.

Well, it was my first dose though. A good bit would have been placebo. Will probably dose 2 to 3 times a day from now on.

#252 wolfeye

• 124 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

Got my blue fish drink yesterday and diluted 1 drop of 1% MB solution with 45 ml water providing 55 mcg MB for each tsp.
So far I feel no benefits, only some airheadedness.

#253 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:19 PM

So you just dosed once and noticed benefits all day huh. I'm noticing effects last for a while myself. I took far too much though I think- especially since I'm taking 100 mg Zoloft and about 1.75 mg Lexapro(going to drop it think, scaling back). I took about 250 mcg twice yesterday and 250 mcg once this morning. I was agitated and scatter brained from 9 am to 4 pm, it sucked. I definitely think there was some MAO inhibition reacting badly with the SSRIs. Yesterday after my first dose I felt scattered and hyper for about 20 minutes, then things smoothed out and I felt pretty good. Maybe there is some cumulative effect going on here where the effect of latter doses becomes more powerful.

Methylene blue is a RIMA (reversible inhibitor of monoamine oxidase A) rather than a true MAO-I. The RIMA effects get life-threatening in combination with SSRI's at injected doses above 5mgs (equivalent oral dose roughly 50mgs).

As far as becoming more powerful as the days go on, I wouldn't argue with that. I doubt it is an accumulation of MAO-I effects since it's reversible but this stuff seems to stay in the body a long time and come out randomly over a few days (in the urine at least).

I took 55mgs the other day with a little change in urine color (pretty green). Then yesterday I took 30mgs and this morning my pee wasn't green but deep blue. So cool! It seems strange that a lower dose caused darker urine, so I'm more apt to believe that it accumulates or takes a while to get processed through the body.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

EDIT: Also wanted to add some pretty bizarre results with ascorbic acid conversion to the colorless leucomethylene blue, which may be related to an accumulation in the body or some other reaction beyond me. I was dosing up to 55mgs a day with methylene blue directly mixed with water attempting to experience blue urination. At most it changed it green (and not super dramatically). Then I decided I'd tried hard enough to make my pee blue so went back to removing the color by mixing it with Vitamin C. Yesterday I dosed 25-30mgs of the colorless leucomethylene blue and this morning my urine was bright blue.

So does the colorless leucomethylene blue react in the body changing it back to the deep blue color? Or is this stronger blue coming through delayed from dosing 55mgs two days before?

Edited by manic_racetam, 14 October 2011 - 12:00 AM.

#254 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:12 PM

The new dilution has a light blue color.
Is it possible that MB causes nervousness or irritability?

Edited by noos, 14 October 2011 - 11:12 PM.

#255 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:50 AM

I seem to recall several people reporting something like this (or at least, some kind of unwanted stimulation) at higher doses, approaching or above 1mg.

Incidentally, I've been whittling away at this thread all week, so the other threads should now make it easier to find info. The MB Experiences thread is now longer than this one, if you want to get some ideas of what others have felt (and do please add your own in, once you've had a chance for it to level out).

#256 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:56 AM

I certainly did for me around 500mcg-1mg.

#257 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:18 AM

likewise for me, 1.2 mg = irritability, 800 mcg seemed to improve focus, cognition. 400 mcg almost aseffective.
YMMV.

#258 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:22 AM

Nope.

After withdrawing, I didn't want to touch the stuff again, but nearly 2 months later, curiosity overcame trepidation, I tried the lower dose at 60mcg and have had a much better experience thus far.

With MAO-Is, seratonin toxicity is a real issue. Tyramine, too.. it's why MAO-Is were banned originally. People died.

Not the most technical link, but I am typing this on my phone, so it'll do for now:
http://atheism.about...stjohnswort.htm

MB's MAO-I IC50 is 164nM. I had been reading earlier that day from another post that between 1-2mg orally equated to 100nM. Obviously, this concerned me at the time. There has since been another post with a PDF detailing MB distribution amongst organs, so I am somewhat more relaxed, but still cautious about doses in the higher range.

Was just reading over some MB posts and noticed you said you experienced withdrawal symptoms but in the MB Experiences thread you posted:

One other important point, regarding the anti-depressant effects:

There is no addiction or dependancy created by MB, unlike other popular anti-depressants. You can stop taking MB and there are no withdrawal-like symptoms.

That's pretty significant.

Also, my chest pain wasn't a symptom of withdrawal but rather an intolerance to MB itself.. perhaps.

#259 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:13 AM

Yep - your chest pain was mentioned as an indication of cardiovascular effects.

I certainly had unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. You jumped off MB onto something else though, from memory?
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#260 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:45 PM

I did and then I tried to revisit it but I just can't find the success with it that other users have reported. I also dropped the deprenyl because it was flattening my personality out and I was noticing a ton of anger control issues but I'm not sure what those came from.

Now I'm just on a multi, piracetam and fish oil. I might like to try tianeptine eventually.

#261 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:17 AM

Try alpha-gpc, uridine, dha.

My favourite so far.

#262 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:57 PM

Decided to start using the recommended 60 mcg dose. Effects seem to be about the same as when trying higher (300 to 1200mcg) doses...
A good deal of effects could be placebo, but you do feel you are on something.

#263 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:03 PM

Decided to start using the recommended 60 mcg dose. Effects seem to be about the same as when trying higher (300 to 1200mcg) doses...

How do you dilute?

A good deal of effects could be placebo, but you do feel you are on something.

I agree.

#264 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

Is MB the new hydergine? I remember hydergine improves mitochondria.

#265 Furbix

• 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

• Composition
Methylene blue: 2.44% w/w, CAS Number 61-73-4, Hazard symbol Xn, Risk phrase R22.
Balance: deionised water.

The above is the profile of my bottle of MB. Risk phrase R22 means harmful if swallowed, should I be worried?

#266 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:08 PM

Anyone else eat more when using MB? Maybe just me...

#267 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

Well, it does reduce metabolic efficiency. Are you putting on weight or just eating more?

#268 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:56 PM

Well, it does reduce metabolic efficiency. Are you putting on weight or just eating more?

I eat more, especially sweet. But maybe it is I take more coffee or small dose modafinil.

'rwac', how is it that MB reduces metabolic efficiency? If it acts in the mitochondria I would say the opposite.

#269 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

Not at these dosages.

Everything is a poison, it's a matter of dose.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#270 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:07 AM

Still makes your pee blue though.

That means it's getting re-oxidized in the body. Well, it's probably better to ingest it in the reduced form so you don't use up your endogenous antioxidants reducing it.

Another interesting thing, I take 4.5mg/day now and my pee seems to be blue only rarely. Pretty sure it used to be blue more often.

Not sure what that means.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users