• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

How do we deal with this?

aging depression youth

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 ViolettVol

• 275 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:35 PM

I'm writing this because no matter how positive I try to stay about this, aging is really depressing me. Not only in myself but in people around me. I hate to see people slowly wither and die, it seems like such a waste and pointless. I agree with Aubrey deGrey that it is a terrrible disease and should be fought with everything we have. I know there are a number of technologies developed and there is progress but it seems so slow and insignificant. I look at small children and feel envious because I want to be their age and have those couple extra years. How do you deal with getting older? Do your really believe we might achieve immortality or at least a significantly longer lifespan? I'm sorry to be a downer here, but I really need a little bit of hope...
  • like x 8

#2 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:21 PM

The only way to kindle hope (for me, at least) is to keep track of scientific advances. I visit nextbigfuture.com, kurzweilai.net, and nature.com frequently in order to stay on top of things. I'm 19 years old and I also wish I was a small kid again, so that I could have more time to see these advances come forth.

Also, this should give you some hope. Check out what is happening with Watson:

Edited by Elus, 29 October 2011 - 11:30 PM.

• like x 3

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

People are "programmed" to accept aging and death because it has been so pervasively constant for all of human history. Every aspect of our culture and economy is built on the birth, growth, decline, death model. When you are surrounded by this for 100% of your life, it becomes your reality or even a religious conviction ("natural" death, that is). Keep spreading the word about the new reality, and slowly but surely, we will turn this thing around.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:59 PM

Not just aging. I want to be as intelligent as the most intelligent man on earth and as good looking as the best looking one. :)
Ugliness, stupidity and having a small penis... They are all diseases that should be cured. :)

Some people are born handicapped, deformed and lacking all abilities. They don't get one day of being excellent at something.
  • like x 1

#5 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that being poor is also a disease that should be eradicated.
  • like x 2

#6 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

All good posts...I think I'm probably going to put an end to that with my penny's worth. :p I personally would no way wish to be a child again but I do envy them in that they have longer left than me and so a better chance of accessing life extension therapies. I have never been happier than I am in my twenties.

I'm with Mind on this 100% that we have lived with aging for so many centuries that we accept it as immutable and "normal." A kind of learned helplessness.

Violetvol - I'm sorry to hear that you have anxiety and depression. I lived with quite bad anxiety much of my youth (hence I'd hate to be a kid again). I don't know how debilitating your condition is but if you are able to, have you considered getting involved on one fo the projects and teams/outreach activities? I too get really angry/depressed about aging but find that doing something small like giving a small donation/doing something small to help makes me feel better. :)

Like Elus, I too often check science news for rays of hope. :)

I also love Trip's point about handicapped people. I think the current genetic gamble that we have to face is unfair and support any way make things more equal.

Edited by Droplet, 01 November 2011 - 11:53 AM.

#7 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

Not just aging. I want to be as intelligent as the most intelligent man on earth and as good looking as the best looking one. :)
Ugliness, stupidity and having a small penis... They are all diseases that should be cured. :)

Some people are born handicapped, deformed and lacking all abilities. They don't get one day of being excellent at something.

If there wasn't any people who are fat ugly and stupid then the people who are muscular/lean, beautiful and intelligent would be unremarkable. I believe we need some mediocrity in our society to keep the desire for bettering ourselves present in our society. I by no means am the most intelligent, smart or beautiful person but I am I would guess at least in the top 80% of those categories and the realization that I can even further improve myself through education, diet, exercise etc is what motivates me to push myself even further. I am also motivated by the fact that there are people in the <50% of those categories that could possibly one day look up to me as inspiration.

#8 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

If there wasn't any people who are fat ugly and stupid then the people who are muscular/lean, beautiful and intelligent would be unremarkable. I believe we need some mediocrity in our society to keep the desire for bettering ourselves present in our society. I by no means am the most intelligent, smart or beautiful person but I am I would guess at least in the top 80% of those categories and the realization that I can even further improve myself through education, diet, exercise etc is what motivates me to push myself even further. I am also motivated by the fact that there are people in the <50% of those categories that could possibly one day look up to me as inspiration.

Those things have absolute value. They do not need to be remarkable. I would not care if everybody else was super good if I was also that good.

I think the differences in abilities should be gotten rid of.

Education doesn't raise my iq, exercise and diet have pretty limited effects. The best things in life are gotten as gifts.

#9 ViolettVol

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:46 PM

Yes, but how to get more motivated hopeful?
Looking at those fat oblivious people stuffing themselves with fastfood and aging is just so depresing. And then I try to do the right thing come here and there's so much confusing info, and threads that say we wont achieve drastic progress till like 2060. HOW do I not feel like my life's a waste? I dont give shit about next generations IF i'm not here with them to be part of the miracle of longevity and age reversal
  • like x 1

#10 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

I dont give shit about next generations IF i'm not here with them to be part of the miracle of longevity and age reversal

There is a whole lot of reality in a statement like this that is reflective of modern society. We can quite literally see the impact of pushing burden upon future generations.
  • like x 1

#11 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

It's depressing, that those junk food eating fat people live to be so old. You do not gain so much by living healthy your whole life. In their youth the junk eating people have as good life as you, because when you are young the healthy habits do not matter so much. When you start having noticable advantages over those people, you are old anyway, and junk food eating young people have a much better life than you. :D

#12 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

It's probably already been posted somewhere here but here's a little ray of hope in the news today: http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml
:) :cool:

There is a whole lot of reality in a statement like this that is reflective of modern society. We can quite literally see the impact of pushing burden upon future generations.

Someone needs to make one of those freaky dystopian films on a budget about a world where aging is destroying the future. ;)

Edited by Droplet, 02 November 2011 - 03:16 PM.

• like x 1

#13 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:17 AM

Yes, but how to get more motivated hopeful?
Looking at those fat oblivious people stuffing themselves with fastfood and aging is just so depresing. And then I try to do the right thing come here and there's so much confusing info, and threads that say we wont achieve drastic progress till like 2060. HOW do I not feel like my life's a waste? I dont give shit about next generations IF i'm not here with them to be part of the miracle of longevity and age reversal

I would say to just not think about it too much. Just have fun with your life. I used to to think about death all the time as well but now it's just at the back of my mind. There's no use worrying about things out of your control.

HOW do I not feel like my life's a waste? I dont give a shit about next generations IF i'm not here with them to be part of the miracle of longevity and age reversal

Define waste. Why would our lives not be a waste if aging was cured? Does it even matter if our life is a waste?

#14 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:24 AM

I would not care if everybody else was super good if I was also that good.

Well I would care because then I wouldn't be able to surpass anyone's abilities ;)

#15 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

Someone needs to make one of those freaky dystopian films on a budget about a world where aging is destroying the future. ;)

I can get onboard with that idea. Framed right, it could be very eye opening to the average person.

Just think of what the world would be like if we didnt die of old age and would live long enough to always be forced to deal with the consequences of our own actions. Would we be so quick to shit in our little fish bowl if we were the ones that had to deal with it?
  • like x 1

#16 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

Well I would care because then I wouldn't be able to surpass anyone's abilities ;)

I would LOVE the fact that NOBODY could surpass my abilities, even if I could also not surpass anybody's abilities. :D

Edited by Trip, 03 November 2011 - 01:24 PM.

#17 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

I can get onboard with that idea. Framed right, it could be very eye opening to the average person.

Just think of what the world would be like if we didnt die of old age and would live long enough to always be forced to deal with the consequences of our own actions. Would we be so quick to shit in our little fish bowl if we were the ones that had to deal with it?

LOL! :laugh: I was meaning one about how aging was causing the problems and that curing it presented as good. That's if you could do it without it seeming silly. Still...got to love Soylent Green! :laugh:

Btw: I voted you up for amusing me.

Edited by Droplet, 03 November 2011 - 01:58 PM.

• like x 1

#18 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

LOL! :laugh: I was meaning one about how aging was causing the problems and that curing it presented as good. That's if you could do it without it seeming silly. Still...got to love Soylent Green! :laugh:

Btw: I voted you up for amusing me.

I must either be very slow today or the narcotics I am taking until my surgery for blown cervical discs are clouding my mind, but I thought we were talking about the same thing. I think the very fact that we age and die is the cause of much of the world's problems because we lack the capacity as a whole to care about things past the durations of our own limited life spans. I think perhaps we are in the beginnings of a dystopian society now, and a film that properly frames it can bring that into light and show us that aging is destroying the future. Hell, I actually believe it is on a species level and I 'know' it is on a personal level. :|o

Edited by mikeinnaples, 03 November 2011 - 02:32 PM.

#19 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

I must either be very slow today or the narcotics I am taking until my surgery for blown cervical discs are clouding my mind, but I thought we were talking about the same thing. I think the very fact that we age and die is the cause of much of the world's problems because we lack the capacity as a whole to care about things past the durations of our own limited life spans. I think perhaps we are in the beginnings of a dystopian society now, and a film that properly frames it can bring that into light and show us that aging is destroying the future. Hell, I actually believe it is on a species level and I 'know' it is on a personal level. :|o

I do feel that way myself. I cannot count the number of people who have said "we won't be around so it doesn't matter." Aging is not just making us not give a hoot but taking away great minds who due to some time limit set by nature cannot be around to perhaps think of solutions. They pass then we have to hope someone just as amazing is born and also have to teach a new generation from scratch.

Now you explain, I understand what you mean. I took it as a sarcastic comment of "aging is good and we should allow it" and that you misinterpreted what I said, hence I was amused. :) I'm dumb.

Sorry to hear about the surgery. Hope you get well soon.

Edited by Droplet, 04 November 2011 - 12:56 PM.

#20 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

I do feel that way myself. I cannot count the number of people who have said "we won't be around so it doesn't matter." Aging is not just making us not give a hoot but taking away great minds who due to some time limit set by nature cannot be around to perhaps think of solutions. They pass then we have to hope someone just as amazing is born and also have to teach a new generation from scratch.

That great minds -thing is nonsense. Nobody is irreplaceable.

Ego creates an illusion of uniqueness. It is a survival strategy. Uniqueness does not exist in reality.

#21 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

That great minds -thing is nonsense. Nobody is irreplaceable.

Ego creates an illusion of uniqueness. It is a survival strategy. Uniqueness does not exist in reality.

Interesting...I thought that every being was created in a unique way both mentally and physically. I'm really intrigued now, do you have any links where I can read more about this?

#22 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:44 PM

Interesting...I thought that every being was created in a unique way both mentally and physically. I'm really intrigued now, do you have any links where I can read more about this?

You can study the Ego. Humans are egoistic creatures. They have a need to feel unique.

#23 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:46 PM

!

#24 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

Fascinating. I do agree that people have a need to feel unique/special but are we not all unique by our thinking and experiences? As for no one being irreplacable, when it comes to doing a job then maybe you're right. I am no expert and maybe it's jut my own ego deluding me to question this. However it has given me food for thought so thanks. :)

#25 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

I do agree that people have a need to feel unique/special but are we not all unique by our thinking and experiences?

Humans are mass produced organisms. Any individual means nothing in the big picture.

You just can't see this if you only think about the small group of people in your own life.

Edited by Trip, 04 November 2011 - 06:02 PM.

#26 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:16 PM

]
Humans are mass produced organisms. Any individual means nothing in the big picture.

You just can't see this if you only think about the small group of people in your own life.

You could be on to something now you put it that way and I take the focus off my much loved little group. :)

#27 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:52 PM

#28 ViolettVol

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

For me, the bigger picture is the immortality that can be achieved in my lifetime to save those I love. Of course I care about the general popuation and their longevity, for the longevity of humanity as a whole, but it would absolutely suck for me if I couldnt paritcipate for in it, the same as it would suck if I were the only immortal, although then maybe I could do sth bout it there'd be a chance. As long as there's life, theres a chance. What I find very hard is dealing with aging every day, the detrimental changes I see it bring.
How do you guys change your mindset into optimism - those who manage to - do you use soe sort of philosophy according to "the power of thought" or something? I just need to increase my belief in the fight for immortality, to attune my mindset to it.. Any advice?
  • like x 2

#29 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

How do you guys change your mindset into optimism - those who manage to - do you use soe sort of philosophy according to "the power of thought" or something? I just need to increase my belief in the fight for immortality, to attune my mindset to it.. Any advice?

Personally, I try to think of how much science is advancing and look for good news on Google News. Also, I always think of aging as a sort of terminal illness and promise myself to make the most of the time I do have and also to support the cause in hope of a cure. Yes, it currently seems hopeless but I'd rather enjoy what little time I do have left as well as fighting for research as opposed to always feeling bad about it.

As for attuning my mind, I see everyday how aging destroys lives and think that even trying to do something is the first step to actually seeing change. Even if it unfortunately doesn't happen in my life time, I'd like to think that I tried and supported attempts to do something as opposed to just sitting back and accepting things that don't have to be. I don't get people who don't dare to dream or even try to change things. I like to take backroom roles only but if enough anonymous people also did their bit, that's where I feel change begins, to quote an old saying "be the change you want to see." Would also help immensely if we get some celeb to support the cause but enough voices and we have to be heard.

I hope my ramblings bring some sort of comfort and make sense. :)

Edited by Droplet, 18 November 2011 - 04:28 PM.

#30 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:30 AM

I'm writing this because no matter how positive I try to stay about this, aging is really depressing me. Not only in myself but in people around me. I hate to see people slowly wither and die, it seems like such a waste and pointless. I agree with Aubrey deGrey that it is a terrrible disease and should be fought with everything we have. I know there are a number of technologies developed and there is progress but it seems so slow and insignificant. I look at small children and feel envious because I want to be their age and have those couple extra years. How do you deal with getting older? Do your really believe we might achieve immortality or at least a significantly longer lifespan? I'm sorry to be a downer here, but I really need a little bit of hope...

The goals of indefinite life extension get here in direct proportion to the collective speed at which the world goes to get there. One person can do one years worth of work in one year, a million people can do a million years worth of work in one year. Can this happen? We know it wont happen if we dont do everything it takes to see if we can make it happen. So if you buckle in and make sure you help get everything done that could be done, then you will be too distracted to be worried. That is how it is for me anyways. If I didnt work on this I would be an existential wreck, I would probably have a religious breakdown and turn to imaginary friends in the sky to try to protect myself from the horrifying notion of eternal obliteration from a seemingly infinite cosmic wonderland.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users