• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

How do we deal with this?

aging depression youth

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:53 AM

Not just aging. I want to be as intelligent as the most intelligent man on earth and as good looking as the best looking one. :)
Ugliness, stupidity and having a small penis... They are all diseases that should be cured. :)

Some people are born handicapped, deformed and lacking all abilities. They don't get one day of being excellent at something.

If there wasn't any people who are fat ugly and stupid then the people who are muscular/lean, beautiful and intelligent would be unremarkable. I believe we need some mediocrity in our society to keep the desire for bettering ourselves present in our society. I by no means am the most intelligent, smart or beautiful person but I am I would guess at least in the top 80% of those categories and the realization that I can even further improve myself through education, diet, exercise etc is what motivates me to push myself even further. I am also motivated by the fact that there are people in the <50% of those categories that could possibly one day look up to me as inspiration.

I would think the goal is to transcend self interest after a certain point...

#32 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

Interesting...I thought that every being was created in a unique way both mentally and physically. I'm really intrigued now, do you have any links where I can read more about this?

You can study the Ego. Humans are egoistic creatures. They have a need to feel unique.

Ego would be the opposite of what makes us unique. Ego makes everyone seem the same. Not from the personal egos perspective, but from the objective viewers perspective.

Edited by TheFountain, 21 November 2011 - 10:02 AM.

#33 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

Interesting...I thought that every being was created in a unique way both mentally and physically. I'm really intrigued now, do you have any links where I can read more about this?

You can study the Ego. Humans are egoistic creatures. They have a need to feel unique.

Ego would be the opposite of what makes us unique. Ego makes everyone seem the same. Not from the personal egos perspective, but from the objective viewers perspective.

We are the same. That is the reality. Everything you can think has been thought by someone else somewhere sometime. Ego is the reason we cannot be a collective race like the ants for example. We can't stand the fact that we are not unique. In reality any individual means nothing in the evolution of the human race. The life and death of the individual is very random. Anything can happen to him/her. His/her abilities and life in general are also very much decided by random events.

Edited by Trip, 21 November 2011 - 04:12 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:59 PM

We are the same. That is the reality. Everything you can think has been thought by someone else somewhere sometime. Ego is the reason we cannot be a collective race like the ants for example. We can't stand the fact that we are not unique. In reality any individual means nothing in the evolution of the human race. The life and death of the individual is very random. Anything can happen to him/her. His/her abilities and life in general are also very much decided by random events.

On the contrary, it is the ego which makes us a collective species of ant-like creatures. The ego which makes us congregate in social circles, the ego which makes us vie for attention, the ego which makes us 'compete' as it were, for some illusory position in the eyes of the subject,

Essence, on the other hand, seems immutable, it is that impersonal aspect of the 'I' from which the individual arises and which perpetuates after the demise of the ego. Seemingly.

#35 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:21 AM

On the contrary, it is the ego which makes us a collective species of ant-like creatures. The ego which makes us congregate in social circles, the ego which makes us vie for attention, the ego which makes us 'compete' as it were, for some illusory position in the eyes of the subject,

Essence, on the other hand, seems immutable, it is that impersonal aspect of the 'I' from which the individual arises and which perpetuates after the demise of the ego. Seemingly.

Collective creatures do not seek attention or competition. They do their own thing. They do not seek power over others. They have no ego.

Edited by Trip, 22 November 2011 - 12:22 AM.

#36 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:27 AM

Collective creatures do not seek attention or competition. They do their own thing. They do not seek power over others. They have no ego.

read some Ouspensky, then you'll know what i'm talking about when I speak of essence vs ego.

#37 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:43 AM

I was talking about the ego. What does this essence thing have to do with it? :)

Ants do not have an ego. That's why they are communist. :)

Edited by Trip, 22 November 2011 - 01:44 AM.

#38 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

Read 'the psychology of mans possible evolution' by PD Ouspensky for the answer to that question.

#39 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

Freudian ego or dictionary.com ego ...that is the question.
  • like x 1

#40 ViolettVol

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

Call me silly but tI think this discusssion has gone a bit off topic... What I asked for in this thread, was peoples clearly stated ways of coping with the for now progresssing aging, not vaguely explained philosophical detours :) Letting go of your ego and desires becoming zen will not make you care about aging? I dont think I'm made for that kind of journey.

#41 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

I think this Immortality Institute thing is just another religion. Other religions promise eternal life in some other world. This longevity religion promises eternal life in this world. It is the exactly same coping strategy.

#42 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:14 PM

Letting go of your ego and desires becoming zen will not make you care about aging?

Yes, you realise the insignificance of the individual. Any individual is replacaple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh-oLpzG4nQ

Edited by Trip, 25 November 2011 - 08:15 PM.

#43 ViolettVol

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

Letting go of your ego and desires becoming zen will not make you care about aging?

Yes, you realise the insignificance of the individual. Any individual is replacaple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh-oLpzG4nQ

Still, that does not make me feel any better.
I don;t care about the bigger scope of things - maybe my friend is replacable as worker but he is not replacable as that particular friend and I will always still miss HIM, no matter how many other friends I got. Every person's mid is a unique unniverse and the loss of that is to me the loss of a world. I;m glad if your view of things helps you cope, but all it does for me is frighten me more:(
So, anyone have a more optimistic way of dealing with aging?

Edited by ViolettVol, 25 November 2011 - 08:31 PM.

#44 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:37 PM

Still, that does not make me feel any better.
I don;t care about the bgger scope of things - maybe my friend is replacable as worker but he is not replacable as that particular friend and I will always still miss HIM, no matter how many other friends I got. Every person's mid is a unique unniverse and the loss of that is to me the loss of a world. I;m glad if your view of things helps you cope, but all it does for me is frighten me more:(
So, anyone have a more optimistic way of dealing with aging?

Marxism can be optimistic. Maybe in the future we can have an egalitarian world without wars and violence.

#45 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

Want a wild suggestion? See if there are any clinical trials in your region *for* depression. Go see if you qualify as a volunteer or a test subject.

We need to kick depression's ass *regardless*, and you helping there would be a threefold benefit (help science, help you, help depression research).

http://clinicaltrials.gov/

These problems (aging, depression, poverty) HAVE solutions that become accessible with greater resources placed on-target.

#46 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

I think this Immortality Institute thing is just another religion. Other religions promise eternal life in some other world. This longevity religion promises eternal life in this world. It is the exactly same coping strategy.

I'd much rather put my faith in science than religion.

#47 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

I'd much rather put my faith in science than religion.

There is no real science behind this longevity-religion. Present day science can really do nothing about aging.

#48 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

Maybe not but at least a group is thinking about it and putting the idea out there. There are many things that modern science cannot do yet but that doesn't mean we shouldn't push and/or even consider.

#49 revenant

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:54 AM

Take very good care of yourself, act on your research, communicate, commit. Did I mention research? That we have even a glimmer of hope is a gratuity.

#50 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:19 AM

I thought that this was also an optimistic video that might boost your morale :)

#51 steampoweredgod

• 409 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:27 AM

It's depressing, that those junk food eating fat people live to be so old. You do not gain so much by living healthy your whole life. In their youth the junk eating people have as good life as you, because when you are young the healthy habits do not matter so much. When you start having noticable advantages over those people, you are old anyway, and junk food eating young people have a much better life than you. :D

Actually the benefits are not as small as most make them out to be, and if you've not gotten lucky in the genetic lottery, the benefits are even bigger.

When people push into their 100s, in general it is because they've not been dying in some bed in their 70s. Many of them you hear living independent, riding bicycles, running, etc.

Obesity carries with it likelyhood of metabolic syndrome with all the health complications that entails, and those can start even in your 30s.

Lifestyle factors appear to be the main cause of men gaining similar likelyhood as women of becoming a centenarian.

In this promising time anyone below 30 that reaches centenarian will experience the benefits of 70 years of technological progress.(2080)

Overall, the men[centenarian] were functioning better than the women. Nearly three-fourths of the male survivors could bathe and dress themselves, while only about one-third of the women could.

The researchers think that may be because the men had to be in exceptional condition to reach 100.

A second, larger study of men in their 70s found that those who avoided smoking, obesity, inactivity, diabetes and high blood pressure greatly improved their chances of living into their 90s. In fact, they had a 54 percent chance of living that long

Their survival decreased with each risk factor, and those with all five had only a 4 percent chance of living into their 90s, according to Harvard University researchers.

Those who managed to avoid lifestyle-related ailments also increased their chances of functioning well physically and mentally two decades later.
long. -link

In fact, researchers have detailed an astonishing longevity hot spot in which they have documented 90 centenarians among a population of 18,000. That means that one out of every 200 people in Ogliastra has lived to celebrate a 100th birthday. It’s an extraordinary figure, about 50 times the rate of the United States, where only one person out of every 10,000 people lives to see 100.

“These are people who not only have a very long life, but they are healthy up to a very old age,” says Luigi Ferrucci, chief researcher of longitudinal studies at the U.S. National Institute on Aging (NIA) and a co-author of the Ogliastra study. “These are not people who’ve gotten diseased or dementia at 70 years old and somehow lived another 30 years.”-link

Ninety percent of the centenarians studied in the New England Centenarian Study were functionally independent the vast majority of their lives up until the average age of 92 years and seventy-five percent were the same at an average age of 95 years.[18] Similarly, a study of US super-centenarians (age 110 to 119 years) showed that, even at these advanced ages, 40% needed little assistance or were independent.[19]-wiki

Strikingly the F/M ratio among centenarians in this population is close to one, as 47 male centenarians were found and only 44 female centenarians. Thus the LGG usually observed among the oldest olds in other populations is virtually nonexistent in the longevity Blue Zone.-http://www.hindawi.c...ar/2011/153756/

There is no real science behind this longevity-religion. Present day science can really do nothing about aging.

You talk as if there were fundamental barriers, as if the foundation of the science that will halt aging did not exist, when all points otherwise. What tell, will stop the science of tissue engineering? Of cell therapies? Of genetic engineering? I can tell you this unless fundamental barriers appear, these 3 can yield biological immortality, aka, negligible senescence.

Already science has intervened in the aging process of other creatures from single cells, to worms, to flies, and even to mammals. And the deeper understanding of biology will allow real interventions to be developed.

Present day science can replace sphincters, heart valves, can deal with organ failures, replace hips and joints, many aspects of decay can be dealt with to varying degrees. Even bladders have been replaced.

Other organisms are providing hints as to some of the keys evolution uses to go from aging to nonaging negligible senescence.

#52 absent minded

• 99 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:47 AM

Call me silly but tI think this discusssion has gone a bit off topic... What I asked for in this thread, was peoples clearly stated ways of coping with the for now progresssing aging, not vaguely explained philosophical detours :) Letting go of your ego and desires becoming zen will not make you care about aging? I dont think I'm made for that kind of journey.

Even if the research is all done and the products/services hit the market tomorrow, you're still going to be prone to premature death. Unless you want to get all theoretical, like ramping up evolution... then you get a floating huge ass brain in deep space that can fart to produce a vector... then I don't know what to say to you.

You live 80 years now, or maybe up 15 000 years in the future... unless somehow you lived for the entire span of the universe and somehow survived a deep space phenomena like being at the center of a gamma ray burst or entering a black hole... and during all this, [who knows how this super-brain will deal with loneliness?] due to the immense size of the universe, will this super-brain floating in deep space ever encounter one of his old human buddies?

haha, I can't believe I typed that... sounds ridiculous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users