- - - - -

Golfer's Elbow Tendinitis

tendinitis tendonitis tendons joints

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:44 PM

I have had nagging "golfers elbow" tendinitis in my right arm for about 10 months now.

I have been weightlifting for 20 years. When the tendinitis started last year, it was not a single event, like where I was straining and said "ouch". When I first noticed it, I wasn't weightlifting or doing anything particularly straining. Nevertheless, I still blamed it on weightlifting, mainly curls. So, I stopped doing curls or any exercise that would stress my forearm. After 10 months, it's still not any better. Now, I have to consider what else is contributing to the problem. I'm scared, because at this rate it will never be better. This sucks.

So, what else am I doing that's making it worse? I still use my arm. I still lift everyday things, like my water pitcher, books, etc. Maybe I should put my arm in a brace for the next 10 months.

Now, for why I posted this in the supplements forum...

Searching these forums, there are several supplements that some people believe could contribute to tendinitis or other joint problems: resveratrol, pomegranate, and fish oil. If cox inhibition is the issue, we should also add curcumin, green tea, luteolin, and rosemary since they are also cox inhibitors. Any others?

Most information about these supplements will claim they should benefit joints. But, some people hypothesize that these reduce inflammation at the expense of healing.

I've been taking all these supplements for 7-13 years. If they are causing joint deterioration, then it's been a slow process. I don't believe I have any arthritis, only tendinitis. I can't think of anything I've changed in just the last year that could affect my tendons.

I'm considering stopping fish oil, resveratrol, curcumin, and pomegranate. Unfortunately, this won't be a quick experiment. I'm sure it will take many months before it starts to get better or I prove that it's something else.

What would you do? Any advice?
Thanks.

#2 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

Given reports from others on this forum as well as from my own experiences in relation to back and shoulder niggles when I'm on Resv + Curc, perhaps it's worth considering discontinuing Resveratrol and Curcumin and see if there is any improvement. It might not be tendonitis, but some joint pain caused by Resv/Curc which is fairly well documented on this forum.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ta5

• Topic Starter
  • 952 posts
Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:47 AM

Thanks hamishm00, I guess that's what I will do.

I also added Manganese.

#4 idquest

• 56 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:14 AM

Did you try to find any tender / trigger points in you elbow area?

Because I have pain in elbow as well but for me this is a part of my broader problem with muscles (I think, nobody knows yet). I didn't take any suppliements you mentioned. Just recently I started to take curcumin and haven't noticed any effect on my body so far.

You could consider visiting a good (experienced) acupuncturist If you haven't done so yet. They have vast knowledge on trigger points, muscles, and tendons. As a minimum, he/she can let you know what your problem is.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:18 AM

ta5, is "golfers elbow" similar to biceps tendinitis? I have biceps tendinitis, and it was getting to be a real problem in my life. I was seeing an orthopedist for something completely unrelated and happened to mention the tendinitis. He put me on a shoulder rehab program, and damned if it didn't get a hell of a lot better. I don't think it will ever be entirely gone, at least not until we have some good regenerative therapies, but it's not a problem for me any more. I've worked the shoulder routines into my regular workout, and if I don't go to the gym for a week I'll start noticing it again. I was surprised that strengthening muscles that didn't seem to be in the same area as the pain would help, but it did. Maybe there's some sort of PT that would help you too.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Erstwhile

• 36 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:46 AM

ta5, is "golfers elbow" similar to biceps tendinitis? I have biceps tendinitis, and it was getting to be a real problem in my life. I was seeing an orthopedist for something completely unrelated and happened to mention the tendinitis. He put me on a shoulder rehab program, and damned if it didn't get a hell of a lot better. I don't think it will ever be entirely gone, at least not until we have some good regenerative therapies, but it's not a problem for me any more. I've worked the shoulder routines into my regular workout, and if I don't go to the gym for a week I'll start noticing it again. I was surprised that strengthening muscles that didn't seem to be in the same area as the pain would help, but it did. Maybe there's some sort of PT that would help you too.

I've noticed something similar to this. My golfer's elbow gets worse whenever my shoulder acts up. Doing some shoulder rehab relieves some of elbow pain, though it doesn't completely alleviate it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tendinitis, tendonitis, tendons, joints

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users