Nootropics for 20 year old man?

general

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skypower

• 42 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:53 PM

Hello,

The last months I have been reading a lot about nootropics and supplements in general. I have tried a few:

-Oxiracetam - no effect
-Piracetam - no effect
-PEA at 600mg with hordenine - little but noticable effect
-Taurine - no effect (note that I expected any visible effect)
-L-Dopa - no effect

I wordered why at first. Then I realized that I am 20 year old and I am healthy. The supplements I am interested to take now are these:

-Taurine
-NA Tyrosine
-Theanine & caffeine
-Picamilon
-Pyritinol
-Pycnogenol

These are mainly for studying and working out. Which of these do you recommend to a 20 year old guy from the internet?

Thank you for your time.

#2 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

I don't think this has anything to do with being young or healthy. maybe you should try higher (attack) dose for piracetam or try mixing it with choline or larger doses of fish oil (but not too large). what's your experience with drugs (psychedelics, stimulants, weed and so on)? have you tried adaptogens (rhodiola, ashwaganda, bacopa ...)? have you tried minerals/vitamins (vit. D, magnesium, different sources of choline, different B-vitamins - sulbutiamine, methylcobalamin ..., zinc)?
did you do any blood tests, IQ tests, have you had any problems in the past?

maybe your expectations are too high.

my experience with piracetam is that you don't necessarily feel it until you do some "mind-demanding" work - the thoughts flow more easily, you're more creative and so on - but I probably wouldn't notice anything special besides being jittery if I would be watching TV or sth like that.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 skypower

• Topic Starter
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

My expectations are not too high. I have taken both oxiracetam's and piracetam's attack dose with no effects. I havent tried any of the substances you mentioned, however I take multivitamin every day.

I forgot to say that I have also taken SNS Focus xt which contains:

9800mg blend:
Choline Bitartrate
L-Tyrosine
Acetyl-L-Carnitine
DMAE
Vinpocetine
Huperzine A

200mg caffeine (I respond very well to it)

Even at half dose, I feel it.

Edited by skypower, 20 December 2011 - 06:33 PM.

#4 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

try mixing caffeine with piracetam, they work sinergistic.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 earcaraxe

• 26 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

I feel like a lot of nootropics act very subtly. Personally Piracetam didn't work very well for me. I did notice positive effects when using CDP-Choline, SAM-E, and Pyritinol along with some caffeine. That was a combination that worked very well for me.

Diet is very important when considering the amino acid supplements. If you're getting enough tryptophan in your diet (eating poultry) then you likely don't need to take tryptophan-related supplements because you're already doing everything you need. I've also read some things about L-Dopa that aren't necessarily positive, specifically relating to the body converting the molecule before it passes the blood/brain barrier, but I can't remember the source off the top of my head.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: general

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users