- - - - -

Resveratrol Is a Nonselective Phosphodiesterase Inhibitor

should we be concerned?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 brunotto

• 226 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

Pentoxifylline decreases soluble CD40 ligand concentration and CD40 gene expression in coronary artery disease patients.

Shamsara J, Mohammadpour AH, Behravan J, Falsoleiman H, Ramezani M.

Source

Department of Biotechnology, School of Pharmacy , Mashhad , Iran.

Abstract

Context and objective: Increased level of inflammatory mediators plays a central role in the features of coronary artery diseases (CAD). As pentoxifylline could suppress the inflammatory process and has shown some promising beneficial effects in inflammatory diseases, we evaluated the effect of 2 months pentoxifylline administration in patients with CAD. Materials and methods: A randomized placebo-controlled double-blind study design was used. Forty CAD patients (32 males and 8 females) were randomized into either 2 months of pentoxifylline treatment (1200 mg/day) (n = 20) or placebo treatment (n = 20). Blood samples were obtained before and after treatment. Gene expression analysis for mRNA of CD40, p65 and IκBα in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) were performed using real-time reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR). Plasma concentration of soluble CD40 (sCD40) ligand as well as protein concentration of p50 were measured by ELISA method. Results: Pentoxifylline decreased CD40 mRNA by 45% (p < 0.05) in PBMCs and sCD40 ligand level in plasma of CAD patients by 34% (p < 0.01). Discussion and conclusion: Pentoxifylline treatment can suppress the CD40/CD40 ligand system activation in CAD patients. As this system has a role in plaque progression and plaque rupture, pentoxifylline could be a good choice for future studies in preventing cardiovascular events

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21999662

http://en.wikipedia....i/CD40_(protein)

#62 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

smithx: I know you take vitamin D3, I forget how much. But have you measured your D25-hydroxy blood levels? I'd vbe curious to know what they are, as your pain does not resolve with D3. Just another data point.

Also, aches and pains like these can be symptomatic of a number of diseases, such as fibromylagia, lupus, thyroid gland failure and others. The first two are not so likely, but thyroid insufficiency might be involved; excessive tiredness is another symptom. How this might interact with resveratrol is an unknown. Have you had a thyroid panel?

I have had a thyroid panel recently and it was all normal.

My vitamin D25 was tested last week, and was 33ng/mL.

I did not get the joint-tendon pain under control until I got my D25 level to 37ng/ml. 33 may be too low for you, it was for me. YMMV. I know of one case where 42 was insufficient to alleviate such pain, where higher levels worked. There may be a hysteresis effect; I am speculating that: one must overshoot the mark before noticing a benefit, when one's level has been chronically a bit low.

As for thyroid panels, levels considered normal or borderline, may actually not be ideal. Some labs differ in what they flag as an abnormal level, as do some doctors. At least there is no gross deficiency.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 poolboy

• 20 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

Resveratrol is only a nonselective phosphodiesterase inhibitor at higher doses, but activates SIRT1 directly in doses around 300mg for the average human.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users