• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Would someone please help interpret and analyze my testosterone levels test results?

testosterone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 glacierlakes9

• 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL 3.33 NG/ML
(Standard Range: N/A)

TESTOSTERONE FREE % 2.78
(Standard Range: 1.1 - 2.8%)

TESTOSTERONE FREE 92.5
(Standard Range: 35 - 155 PG/ML)

I am a 27 year old male.

Thank you!!

#2 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL 3.33 NG/ML
(Standard Range: N/A)

TESTOSTERONE FREE % 2.78
(Standard Range: 1.1 - 2.8%)

TESTOSTERONE FREE 92.5
(Standard Range: 35 - 155 PG/ML)

I am a 27 year old male.

Thank you!!

Assuming this was a morning test, your total testosterone of 333 ng/dL is very low for your age range. (If the blood was drawn in the afternoon, it is pretty much meaningless - throw it out and do another test within a couple of hours of waking.) Normal for age <50 is 290-1,300 (this varies somewhat depending on the lab, but see e.g., http://en.wikipedia....for_blood_tests), and "values between 250 and 350 ng/dL should be considered borderline low" (from http://www.cleveland...e-hypogonadism/). So you are bordering on hypogonadism and some doctors would consider your levels to be a reason for further evaluation and/or treatment, if reproducible.

The fact that your free testosterone is not all that low means that your SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin) must be very low. Such low values of SHBG are often associated with insulin resistant diabetes or pre-diabetes. Does that ring any bells?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 glacierlakes9

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Thanks, but I think your analysis might be incorrect.
My total level is 3.33, not 333. The units are reported as NG/ML, not NG/DL.

Edited by glacierlakes9, 14 February 2012 - 07:21 PM.

#4 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

No, you are just confused with the conversion. There is 100 mL in a dL, which means that 3.33 ng/mL is the same as 333 ng/dL, as I stated.

#5 glacierlakes9

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

So, what are the implications of a low SHBG, concerning fertility? And would testosterone therapy reduce the risk of insulin-resistant diabetes?

#6 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:12 AM

I am not a doctor, but I doubt SHBG is correlated with fertility. By the way, testosterone therapy would make you infertile (or nearly so) for as long as you are on it and for at least six months after stopping it - it has been investigated as a male contraceptive strategy for this reason. As for testosterone replacement reducing the risk of diabetes, it is possible that one might get some small benefit but it is not really worth it for that since you would get vastly better results from exercise, a better diet, and/or weight loss, assuming you are not in good shape - you didn't say what kind of shape you are in, etc. Your testosterone levels would likely be improved with these interventions as well.

#7 glacierlakes9

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:37 AM

I could stand to lose 50 pounds. I used to run and/or hit the gym on a daily basis and was in great shape. I experienced a personal loss, I guess, and have become extremely sedentary and depressed since then. I hate that I now rely on prescription drugs to feel better. I broke my leg in a car accident a few months ago, but I plan to begin anew once my leg mends.

I am not a doctor, but I doubt SHBG is correlated with fertility. By the way, testosterone therapy would make you infertile (or nearly so) for as long as you are on it and for at least six months after stopping it - it has been investigated as a male contraceptive strategy for this reason. As for testosterone replacement reducing the risk of diabetes, it is possible that one might get some small benefit but it is not really worth it for that since you would get vastly better results from exercise, a better diet, and/or weight loss, assuming you are not in good shape - you didn't say what kind of shape you are in, etc. Your testosterone levels would likely be improved with these interventions as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: testosterone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users