- - - - -

My situation: depression, anxiety and brain fog

depression anxiety brain fog

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Wilberforce

• 69 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

I don't think it's been mentioned yet but based upon eliminating all the protocols that have been attempted I would be thinking about Candida (or Candidiasis to be more precise). The symptoms are all highly consistent.

Will.

#62 choqueiro

• Topic Starter
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Thanks to everyone. The problem as richardsm1 said is "diagnose". Making the correct diagnose is really difficult. My symptoms are not specific of a concrete pathology. Unfortunately depression, anxiety, brain fog, etc. are common symptoms of many pathologies.

Candida and adrenal fatigue are two options. Last year I made an analysis looking for a thyroid problem. Everything was rigth. I´ll continue looking for an answer or at least I´ll try to avoid some of the symptoms.

My next attempt is trying Aniracetam. The anxiolytic properties of the substance and the nootropic effects will help. The problem is supplementing with choline. Last studies suggest that choline could cause atherosclerosis.

After one year of trying different supplements I didn´t find anything that helps a little. I seem to be very sensitive to any substance and in general any supplement deteriorates my symptoms (hedaches, increased anxiety, etc.)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 JuniorDavis

• 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

Hey Choqueiro I want to say I have searched so much for the answers you are looking for.

After reading the thread and checking out the supplements and things you are trying to take to combat this I want to say I too think it's candida.

Do you have a lot of white stuff on your tongue? I went to the ER today and got many tests done. Although they only tested my TSH, My thyroid and blood sugar levels, kidneys etc came back normal.

They wont test me for Candida. Which bothers me because that was my first guess as to what the cause was.

I will go to sleep for 8 hours and wake up like I had no sleep. When someone mentioned sleep apnea in this thread I started to feel like maybe it was sleep apnea. Have you had your sleep tested yet?

Another thing is my mom watched me sleep last night and 30 mins after I went to sleep she said I sat up and started talking. She said something to me and then said I Was okay and I said alright and went back to sleep.

Woke up this morning and completely felt EXHAUSTED. Like I didn't get 1 bit of sleep. Although for the last couple of days I have felt out of it and haven't had much sleep since I'm getting anxiety over this. I think I shouldn't of been completely fatigued when I woke up.

My tongue has a lot of white film on it. They scrapped my tongue and said if I did have "Thrush" or Candida that I would have inflammation on my tongue after scraping it. But that's not the case, Because if I brush my tongue before sleep then there is more film on it in the morning.

THE FOG IS SCARY. I quit smoking 4-5 days ago. I never have experienced this issue before especially when I got my bud from the dispensary.

I too have the issues with having to think when I type. I mess up some words, Some words get mixed up when I read and I feel like I don't really want to do anything. Phsyical or emotional.

Thinking about posting this is kinda "tiring" too. Like "Ugh I have to write all this on here..." but I need to figure out what's going on. I'm not a lazy person and I love pathology and helping other people.

Do you get mucous in your stools? Not all the time but I tend to get it mostly when constipated.

You have the exact same symptoms as me. Do you have any liver disease or problems with your liver?

I'm starting to think that I have too much toxins built up in my liver. But i only drink poland spring water. I also focus on my health a lot and try to diet correctly the best I can.

I do have liver disease since birth (I'm 25) and although my liver wasn't tested at the ER I'm starting to think maybe there are metals and toxins in the poland spring water.

I have bookmarked this page and I will continue to check and update this thread. Let me know how it goes.

Good luck man!

#64 JuniorDavis

• 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hey man I just wanted to let you know I figured out today what was the cause of all of it.

I found out that since I was eating raw garlic I got Garlic poisoning. I ended up finding out that it's a neurotoxin that can pass the blood brain barrier which caused pretty much all my symptoms on the fog.

"The reason garlic is so toxic, the sulphone hydroxyl ion penetrates the blood-brain barrier, just like DMSO, and is a specific poison for higher-life forms and brain cells. We discovered this, much to our horror, when I (Bob Beck, DSc) was the world's largest manufacturer of ethical EEG feedback equipment."

http://www.relfe.com...of_garlic.html.

As for the fatigue and weight loss etc. I found that the High THC strains were actually stressing out my liver. I am going to move to a High CBD strain.

Let me know if you ever do get your sleep apnea checked. I also saw you were from Spain. Do you eat a lot of raw garlic? My fog seems to be subsiding now that I am detoxing from the Garlic.

#65 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Garlic toxic? What a surprise.
Is it the same sulphone as in modafinil?

#66 leftside

• 161 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Crikey. I thought garlic was meant to be good for you.

#67 MangekyōPeter

• 171 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

trivial thought:

Maybe that's why it's so effective against 'em Vampirez :)

But in all seriousness pretty surprising that it can be toxic.

#68 choqueiro

• Topic Starter
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

Hey.

Thanks to everyone for your interest. Last days I´ve been searching information about candidiasis and chronic fatigue syndrome. Reading the symptoms of these pathologies I have most of them, but the problem as I said before, is diagnosing these diseases, because the symptoms are not very specific and they are pathologies that don´t have a "real" support of the scientific community, specially when we talk about candida which is not recognized as a disease for many doctors and sanitary authorities of many countries.

According to candida, I made the famous "saliva test" (see: http://www.candidasu...est_saliva.html) twice, and in both cases the results were positive. Personally I think that the test is not conclusive and personally I also think that candida is not in "purity" a disease because candida is an essential component of our digestive system not a "external aggressive element" (it´s a necessary fungus not a parasite). Even though, if we talk about imbalances, candida could be a problem but it is only recognized in the severe cases. Right now I don´t have white stuff on my tongue JuniorDavis but when I stopped smoking (8 years ago) I had white stuff on my tongue for a few days (I went to the doctor but he didn´t give any importance).

One of the supplemements that could help in both candidiasis and chronic fatigue symdrome is L-glutamine. Yesterday I ordered some L-glutamine and at the end of the week my order will arrive.

There are some positive experiences using this supplement (see: http://www.longecity...upplementation/). Cuil said: "I can verify that for the first time in 2 years, my brain feels normal again. I bombarded my brain with piracetam without glutamine supplementation, and now with glutamine supplementation alone, well, try for yourself Posted Image. I do however still take a stack of nootropics, but without my L-Glutamine levels being replenished, it was incomplete. For two years I suffered from pointless anxiety and lethargy, not to mention depression and brain fog. This whole fear of glutamate damage had me irrational. I have been taking theanine, huperzine a, magnesium taurate, piracetam, Bacopa, ashwagandha, adderall, you name it, I have tried it. The arsenal was simply incomplete. I have been meditating for years with no benefits. I sat down for the first time last night (only 3 hours of taking 7,000mg of L-Glutamine) and it was effortless pranayama". Also mulvena312 said: "Same from my side. Glutamine was the missing key in my stack that changed everything".

I don´t expect to make the huge improvements that these users describe but I want to try if it could help a little.

Glutamine is a precursor to GABA in the brain, thus decreasing anxiety. A study completed by Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT USA (2001) shows that glutamine crosses the blood brain barrier and converts to GABA.

Simplifying very much the process, when glutamine crosses the blood-brain barrier, it is taken up into synapses and metabolized into glutamate by an enzyme called glutaminase. Glutamate is then transported around the brain so it can function as a neurotransmitter. Excess glutamate is taken back up by glial cells and re-formed into glutamine, and so on and so forth.

Glutamate is called an excitatory neurotransmitter, because brain cells become “excited” when it activates them. However, when too much glutamate accumulates in the brain, it becomes an excitotoxin. This means that the large quantities of glutamate cause the brain cells to become too excited, and as a result these brains cells quickly die. How does this relate to glutamine supplementation? Well, studies have shown that large doses of glutamine significantly increase levels of glutamine in the brain, and, by default, glutamate as well. Not good. Glutamate excitotoxicity is already recognized in a number of neurological disorders, including MS, Huntington’s, and seizure disorders. Newer research has also implicated glutamate excitotoxicity in depression.

So if Glutamine could help (and the positive experiences are there) it is a must not to imbalance. Excess of glutamate is my major worry. Should I be worried if I take normal dosages in a long term? How much is a safe daily dosage? Even though the studies of the excess of glutamate are there, body builders have been taking this supplement in huge daily quantities during years without apparent problems. Are the problems of excess of glutamate only a worry of scientific literature??

The question of excess of glutamate already was discussed in the forum (see: http://www.longecity...on/page__st__30). devinthayer said: "I also want to add that if you are concerned about excitotoxicity of glutamate, then you can use Gotu Kola or Valerian Root. Both Gotu Kola and Valerian root induce the enzyme, GAD, which will convert glutamate into GABA. Ginkgo is a competitive GABA blocker, so you can use that in varying amounts if Gotu Kola or Valerian Root is too sedating".

Could Gotu Kola or Valerian Root really help with the excess of glutamate?? What supplements could help also with the excess of glutamate?? L-theanine??

Thanks so much to everyone and let´s hope that we could improve a little.

#69 xeon

• 153 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

Hi choqueiro!

Have you had any positive improvement since your most recent post? I have very similar issues to you and I am eager to find out what works for you and what doesn't. I hope everything starts to improve for you and I thank you for starting this thread. :)

#70 choqueiro

• Topic Starter
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

Hi xeon. Excuse me for answering you with so much delay.

My last attempt was with glutamine. No effect. Right now I´m not taking anything. Maybe my next attempt is trying aniracetam or lysine (I opened a post about it: http://www.longecity...ne-for-anxiety/). It´s really frustating this situation.
  • like x 1

#71 xeon

• 153 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hi xeon. Excuse me for answering you with so much delay.

My last attempt was with glutamine. No effect. Right now I´m not taking anything. Maybe my next attempt is trying aniracetam or lysine (I opened a post about it: http://www.longecity...ne-for-anxiety/). It´s really frustating this situation.

No worries. I read somewhere that you can take Lysine + Arginine together for anti-anxiety effects.

#72 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

For glutamate
Memantine http://www.hindawi.c...ry/2012/749796/
Clonazepam http://chronicfatigu...ue-Syndrome.htm
Magnesium
Maybe ALCysteine

Edited by noos, 29 May 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#73 HoldingTheFaith

• 195 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

I would really focus in the gut (dysbiosis or leaky gut) and sleep (HPA axis, other glands and hormones). I have similar issues and doing this is making some slow positive changes and I am positive this is the right path. I have digestive symptoms though, and tests proving leaky gut and a dysregulated HPA axis, so is a no brainer for me.

Glutamine, yeah one of the most useless suplements I have taken, and it converts to glutamate = not good at all. Colostrum or Seacure are the real deal.

Edited by HoldingTheFaith, 29 January 2014 - 05:12 PM.

#74 Babychris

• 466 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

Dysbiosis ? How did you get those things checked ? Daaamn my life is so bad I have failed at my exam du to my anxiety and I'm sure that is not my fault.. Do those issue appear lately or in the young one ? Because I have my anxiety symptoms since my childhood but not the depression which begin to appear at the end of Highschool I remember very well.. I have seen so many doctors and they are some bunch of ignorants robotised people.

#75 HoldingTheFaith

• 195 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

Yeah doctors are the plague man, for real, confirmed after seeing dozens of them. I got them checked with a super expensive functional doc in Madrid. AT least it pointed me in the right direction, although his treatment was such a failure.

I dunno man about your specific case. But read this, it could be enlightening, it was for me:

http://www.scielo.br.../v25n4/a10v25n4

http://www.nature.co...ull/nn1290.html

http://www.sciencedi...006322308008019

I have been bullied (not heavily, but still), lightly sexually abused by my cousin and also beaten by my father several times. I can remember the intense feelings that these events brought to me as a kid. Even today I am startled when someone moves his hand near to me, or the like. After these traumatic events, keep in mind that most of days I have had chronic stress from social anxiety among other problems.

So, yeah. Know your case, think about how you were as a kid, when things started to fuck up, or if you always had a problem, etc... Probably your HPA axis is fucked if you have anxiety. And keep an eye on your digestion.

Edited by HoldingTheFaith, 29 January 2014 - 07:58 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#76 choqueiro

• Topic Starter
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:29 PM

Life goes on. It´s been a long time since my last post. In these last two years many things happened to me (I have been father for the first time!!!!) but my issues continue.

My last attempt was with aniracetam. No success. I continue with a good lifestyle: good diet, no excesses, do some sport... but my anxiety, depression and brain fog still there. In general my brain doesn´t want to work (specially during stressful situations). I continue working everyday doing my best but is like if my brain prefers to "keep in peace" doing nothing and only with my personal effort against his apathy I can work efficiently. My eyesight also is getting worse; I don´t know if it´s because I´m getting old (I´m only 36 years old) but I´m loosing highlights. It´s really difficult to me to get all the visual information at a time, specially during those activities where you have to attend to many stimuli (driving a car, playing some sports ....). I also have difficulties to walk in staright line (it´s something imperceptible) and everytime I go for a walk I get dizzy.

The possibility of trying a traditonal psychiatric treatment is there (my wife is psychiatric) but I prefer to try other possibilities before (I would like to be father in the future another time and the sexual side effects of the SSRIs scare me).

From time to time I visit this forum. C60 fullerenes, dihexa and NSI-189 seem to be the newest supplements but I´m not so clever to try them until more resarch is made. Looking around internet I found information about a compound very useful for hangovers: Dihydromyricetin (see:http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3292407/). It seems that this compound it could also be helpful in the treatment of memory loss and alzheimer (see: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24728903). The scientific behind these studies is Dr. Jin Liang.

Looking for supplements with this compound I found this in Amazon: Smarto-One by Smarto USA LLC. (see: http://www.amazon.co...ords=Smarto USA). No single review at this time of the supplement. This product not only contains Dihydromyricetin, it also contains Polygala tenuifolia, Solomon Seal rhizome, Fleeceflower root, Grassleaf Sweet Flag rhizome and Spine Date seed.

1) Here is the web page of the company Smarto USA LLC: http://www.smartodaily.com/

2) Here is a page from facebook called: "Alzheimer and Dementia" with information about the supplement:(see: https://www.facebook...ementia?fref=nf).

We can read in one article:

How can Smarto-ONE bring back your memory?

Smarto-ONE’s herbal ingredients counteracts many of the negative symptoms related to memory loss. These include loss of memory, loss of learning ability, sleep problem, trauma and stress related depressions and etc. These undesirable symptoms are caused by loss of neuron-synaptic connections due to the important receptor supporting protein: gephyrin. Smarto-ONE’s formula work to restore gephyrin and recreate neuron-synapses networks in the brain.

Studies & Sources

γ-aminobutyric acid type A receptors (GABAARs) and Alzheimer’s:
The study has showed deficits of GABA release and dysfunction of GABAARs, and gephyrin, a postsynaptic GABAARs anchor protein that regulates the formation and plasticity of GABAergic synapses and thereby the availability and function of GABAARs and other signaling molecules, is decreased.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10900017

Dihydromyricetin as a novel anti-Alzheimer’s medication, a flavonoid component of herbal medicines, restores gephyrin level by one and half month (oral 2 mg/kg) to re-connect neurons’ network, and cleaning up excessive amyloid-β peptides. Therefore the related symptoms can be reduced.
http://patentscope.w.../en/detail.jsf…

In the same facebook page we can also read:

How does Smarto-One prevent memory loss?

The dihydromyricetin and other herbs such as polygala tenuifolia extracts in Smarto-One work together to restore gephyrin level, stimulate neuron networks reestablishments, and cleaning up excessive amyloid-β peptides, hence further reduces dysfunction of neurons in the brain. As the result, Smarto-ONE can restore the loss of memory, improve learning ability, anti-aging and also improve sleep (http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24728903).

One last article from this facebook page about Dr. Liang´s studies:

Here's Dr. Liang's report on Smarto-ONE from two years ago:

Experiments on subjects..
1) Determine the therapeutic effects and targets of the new compounds. Primarily to enhance the nerve receptor pharmacology and receptor function by acting on target of neuro-receptors. This enhanced role of neuro-receptors can be blocked by antagonist. Conducted to the dependency of evaluation.

2) Efficacy (brain) comparison: the effect of new single compound to enhance neuro-receptors’ pharmacology and function is superior to other similar compounds were confirmed through comparison. New compounds are the most potent compound in the world to date.

3) Efficacy (behavioral experiments, including elevated plus maze and open field to assess anxiety and local motion) comparison

4) Pharmacokinetics study.
4-1) new compound (oral), clearance is 8 hours.
4-2) new compound (oral) of the maximum brain concentration (Cmax) is 30 minutes.
4-3) new compound (after oral administration) can pass the blood-brain barrier in 3 minutes into the brain tissue.
4-4) new compound (acute oral repetition interval of two weeks), no efficacy reduction.
4-5) new compound (chronic oral, 600 times higher than common oral doses, daily for 6 months), no change in basal metabolic rate, cardiovascular system, respiratory system and no pathological changes in the brain seen.
4-6) new compound (chronic oral, 1000 times higher than common oral doses, daily for a month), no change in basal metabolic rate.
4-7) after 4-5 and 4-6, there are no retained new compound and deposited in the organs.

Volunteers Data:
5) as of today (10/2012 ~), there are more than 50 volunteers having participated with Smarto-ONE product, and immediately before & after, took the psychological tests of intelligence and reference (MMSE) issued by the U.S. Alzheimer's Association, results have showed efficacy significantly,with zero negative feedback.

3) In this blog they talk about Dihydromyricetin for the Treatment of Memory Loss (see:http://gironmd.blogs...eatment-of.html). In the last two paragraphs it is said:

Recent research shows, however, that another substance called dihydromyricetin (DHM), also known as ampelopsin (AMP), may be used to treat memory problems, including dementia, such as Alzheimer's disease. This flavanoid compound is purified from a variety of botanical sources, including the oriental raisin tree (Hovenia dulcis), Chinese Senega (Polygala tenuifolia), and the snake wine vine (Ampelopsis Grossedentata). It is a component of ancient Chinese herbal remedies, which have been used in Asia for centuries. The active ingredient, DHM, has been recently isolated and shown to be responsible for the bio-active properties of these herbal remedies.

DHM has recently been patented under the trade name Smarto-One and is believed to help prevent memory loss by restoring gephyrin levels, thus reestablishing synaptic neuron networks. It is also believed to clean up excessive amyloid-β peptides, which are associated with plaque build-up in the brain. As the result, Smarto-ONE restores memory function and improves learning ability. DHM is also known to have antioxidant and anti-aging effects, which help reduce stress, improve sleep, and relieve alcoholic hang-overs.

4) In this web page they also talk about Smarto-One as the "New way to manage memory loss and learning disorders" (see: http://sydneymediaja...ning-disorders/). It is said:

Smarto-ONE is designed to work as a regular supplement. Its ingredients include:

• Hovenia Dulcis seeds- Hovenia Dulcis is also known as the Japanese Raisin Tree, a versatile herbal and culinary supplement used as an anti-inflammatory, liver detoxicant and alcohol antagonist.
  • Polygala tenuifolia- Yuan Zhi, a core traditional Chinese medicine herb, shown in tests to promote the proliferation of neural stem cells and inhibit the production of nitric oxide from lipopolysaccharides.
  • Solomon Seal rhizome- Solomon Seal is a traditional European and Chinese herbal, used commonly as an anti-inflammatory and to lower blood pressure. This herb has a history of use in traditional memory to improve concentration.
  • Fleeceflower root- Fleeceflower is also known as Chinese knotweed, common throughout Asia and used widely in herbal medicine. This herb is used for circulatory issues, and has been shown to inhibit fatty acid synthesis.
  • Grassleaf Sweet Flag rhizome- A truly ancient herb, used in Ayurvedic medicine, this herb is anti-catarrhal and an anti-oxidant.
  • Spine Date seed- A herb which is used for its circulatory benefits, anoxia, and central nervous system.
UCLA research

Dr. Liang of UCLA has been researching these herbs extensively for many years. Dr. Liang’s pioneering work in Alzheimer’s research resulted in the patenting of the therapeutic dietary supplement Smarto-ONE.

Product information

Patent reference: (WO2014007853) DIHYDROMYRICETIN FOR THE TREATMENT OF DISEASES AND DISORDERS OF THE GLUTAMATERGIC SYSTEM)

(See the description of the therapeutic process for detailed information regarding Smarto-ONE’s actions as a treatment and use as a dietary supplement.

Last week I sent an email to Smarto USA LLC asking some questions about their product and Dr. Liang participation. This was their answer:

Dr. Liang is a partner in Smarto USA LLC, all current products you see on market do not have the rights to sell DHM compound as it is in violation of our patent protection.  Dr. Liang is no longer with UCLA, she has been invited to join the Alzheimer's Research Center at University of Southern California to continue her research endeavors.
100% natural ingredients, and they're being made here in southern California. 
Dosage recommendations and everything else can be found on the product label/description. And also on our website at www.smartodaily.com

Sincerely,
Eric
Smarto USA LLC

So, at this point I really don´t know about the effectiveness of the compounds of this supplement. It is "snake oil"?? Any opinions about it?? Should I try it??

Thanks so much

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, anxiety, brain fog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users