compare pterostilbene : quality and price

pterostilbene price quality mg

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Young Paul

• 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

This is what I've found so far, Anyone have any ideas on which one to buy? or to add to the list.

Jarrow..50mg, 60 caps, $17
Life Extension...100mg, 60 caps,$21
Biotivia....100mg, 30 caps, $50
Thorne...50mg, 60 caps, $44
BAC...5% powder, 50g, $9.75
Ormes...200mg, 60 caps, $24
CPmedical.net....50mg, 60 caps
Miracle greens...10oz bottle,
Solaray....25mg, 30 caps, $17
Douglas labs....30 caps $49
Med Nutraceutics 100mg,60 caps, $30
Blu science...50mg, 60 caps, $26
Ebiochem....1kg 99% powder...$1000
Vitamin research...50mg, 30 caps, $39

#2 Synaptik

• 80 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

what is this supplement supposed to do for a person; I'm not familiar with it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Young Paul

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

It's a cousin of Resveratrol, a powerful antioxidant found in blueberries and grapes, and works synergistically with Res,
supposed to help diabetes, cancer, etc. and has a much longer half-life than Res (about two hours) compared with 15 mins.

#4 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

Have you used it in combo with Res? I'm curious because I'm currently on a two week high dose Res (3 grams per day), and wondering if the synergy is theoretical or anecdotal.

#5 Young Paul

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

No, I haven't used it yet, just been on Res for about 2 years, but read something about the synergism in four or five sites that sell it, but no actual studies yet.

#6 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

It's reported to have better absorption and slower breakdown than resveratrol. Similar to polydatin that way. But its under a bit of a patent cloud so technically there's only one legal source for it worldwide... Cromadex. The patent would probably fall if challenged but it was issued to the USDA and the university of mississipi and claims to cover all natural extract varieties. In any event you are unlikely to find any cost effective bulk sources in reasonable purities. best I've come across is a 5% powder. Most of the caps on the market have a pretty low Mg amount as a result. So I add polydatin instead.

Howard

#7 Young Paul

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

what about my list, do they all come from the same wholesaler? Cromadex?

Jarrow..50mg, 60 caps, $17
Life Extension...100mg, 60 caps,$21
Biotivia....100mg, 30 caps, $50
Thorne...50mg, 60 caps, $44
BAC...5% powder, 50g, $9.75
Ormes...200mg, 60 caps, $24
CPmedical.net....50mg, 60 caps
Miracle greens...10oz bottle,
Solaray....25mg, 30 caps, $17
Douglas labs....30 caps $49
Med Nutraceutics 100mg,60 caps, $30
Blu science...50mg, 60 caps, $26
Ebiochem....1kg 99% powder...$1000
Vitamin research...50mg, 30 caps, $39

#8 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

Probably all except Ebiochem. Cromadex holds the exclusive worldwide manufacturing license. Ebiochem is an amalgam of Asian manufacturers. I would guess they are not licensed and if you ordered from one of them that they would label everything as something else and you would have to get an independent analysis done at your own expense to verify what you received... at least that was my experience with them.

The Ormes product sounds interesting. The most I could make out on the front label is that its 205 mg of Ptero, Resveratrol, and OPCs. Couldn't find a shot of the back label online.

Here's a study, btw, comparing the bio-availability of ptero and resveratrol:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21116625

RESULTS:
Resveratrol and pterostilbene were approximately 20 and 80% bioavailable, respectively. Following oral dosing, plasma levels of pterostilbene and pterostilbene sulfate were markedly greater than were plasma levels of resveratrol and resveratrol sulfate. Although plasma levels of resveratrol glucuronide exceeded those of pterostilbene glucuronide, those differences were smaller than those of the parent drugs and sulfate metabolites.

... suggesting that those 100 mg doses of ptero might be equivalent to 400 mg of the resveratrol used in the study. Although the gap would probably narrow with micronized resveratrol taken perhaps with mct and piperine.

Howard

Edited by hav, 07 April 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#9 aim1

• 102 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

I didn't see Swanson on your list. Check them out.
These prices are all over the place!

#10 RJ100

• 153 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

Bump!

Curious to know who is taking ptero and your dosage, brand, cost, results, etc.

#11 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

100 mg, twice daily. The LEF product. It is part of a larger polyphenol stack that I take. There isn't a way to measure any specific " results ".

#12 RJ100

• 153 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

100 mg, twice daily. The LEF product. It is part of a larger polyphenol stack that I take.

Thanks.

There isn't a way to measure any specific " results "

As far as results I didn't mean necessarily quantifying it with spreadsheets and statistics - just opening it up to anecdotes or whatever folks might want to add.

#13 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

Probably all except Ebiochem. Cromadex holds the exclusive worldwide manufacturing license. Ebiochem is an amalgam of Asian manufacturers. I would guess they are not licensed and if you ordered from one of them that they would label everything as something else and you would have to get an independent analysis done at your own expense to verify what you received... at least that was my experience with them.

The Ormes product sounds interesting. The most I could make out on the front label is that its 205 mg of Ptero, Resveratrol, and OPCs. Couldn't find a shot of the back label online.

Here's a study, btw, comparing the bio-availability of ptero and resveratrol:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21116625

... suggesting that those 100 mg doses of ptero might be equivalent to 400 mg of the resveratrol used in the study. Although the gap would probably narrow with micronized resveratrol taken perhaps with mct and piperine.

Howard

I haven't seen ptero activate sirtuins, so shouldn't ptero be better compared with something like acaci instead of res, since in my book the whole reason a person takes res is because of the sirtuin activation and all that sirtuin activation entails ?

I believe curcumin knocks ptero out in a matchup... So i think cheesy Acai may be an even matchup against ptero...

A

#14 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

Hi, Anthony. I was always under the impression that ptero metabolized into resveratrol. But maybe not. I found this in the full-text of the study:

After careful examination, resveratrol was not detectable following dosing with pterostilbene. Therefore, pterostilbene does not appear to act as a prodrug for resveratrol.

Howard

#15 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:25 AM

I haven't seen ptero activate sirtuins, so shouldn't ptero be better compared with something like acaci instead of res, since in my book the whole reason a person takes res is because of the sirtuin activation and all that sirtuin activation entails ?

I believe curcumin knocks ptero out in a matchup... So i think cheesy Acai may be an even matchup against ptero...

A

Curcumin is good, as is Acai, but for different reasons. Pterostilbene is related more to resveratrol and other CR mimetics. I take a cocktail of polyphenols that also includes silymarin and quercetin.

More info on pterstilbene:

Pterostilbene is a double-methylated version of resveratrol exhibiting a higher bioavailability as it is more easily transported into the cell and more resistant to degradation and elimination.[2] In rats, pterostilbene's oral availability is 67%-94%, and its half-life has been published to be between 78 minutes and 104 minutes.[3][4][5]
Pterostilbene has anti-inflammatory, antineoplastic, and antioxidant actions via modulations of gene expression and enzyme activity.[2] In plants the substance displays antifungal[6] and antiviral activities.[7]
In general, studies have focused on the trans isomer of pterostilbene.[2]

http://www.mendeley....og-resveratrol/

http://www.mendeley....heimer-s-dis-1/

#16 RJ100

• 153 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

It inhibits methionine biosynthesis resulting in a significant effect on methionine metabolism? Sorry, noob question, but does this mimic methionine restriction?
  • like x 2

#17 RJ100

• 153 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

Searching iherb I saw this, which appears at least somewhat new:

http://www.iherb.com...60-V-Caps/45610

It contains the usual tPeroPure plus something called AuroraBlue

Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

http://www.genceutic.com

The slick and "green" marketing on their site and on some of their boxed product reminds me of New Chapter. Sinking a lot of $$$ into marketing doesn't necessarily mean the product is bad, although they do need to pay for it..

Edited by RJ100, 14 September 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#18 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Searching iherb I saw this, which appears at least somewhat new:

http://www.iherb.com...60-V-Caps/45610

It contains the usual tPeroPure plus something called AuroraBlue

Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

http://www.genceutic.com

The slick and "green" marketing on their site and on some of their boxed product reminds me of New Chapter. Sinking a lot of $$$ into marketing doesn't necessarily mean the product is bad, although they do need to pay for it..

Pteropure is the name of the Pterostilbene manufactured by Chromadex. Most if not all pterostibene products are Pteropure. Aurora blue is blueberry concentrate.
Pterostilbene is a polyphenol stilbene found in blueberries.

Edited by Kevnzworld, 14 September 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#19 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

A

Curcumin is good, as is Acai, but for different reasons. Pterostilbene is related more to resveratrol and other CR mimetics. I take a cocktail of polyphenols that also includes silymarin and quercetin.

More info on pterstilbene:

Pterostilbene is a double-methylated version of resveratrol exhibiting a higher bioavailability as it is more easily transported into the cell and more resistant to degradation and elimination.[2] In rats, pterostilbene's oral availability is 67%-94%, and its half-life has been published to be between 78 minutes and 104 minutes.[3][4][5]
Pterostilbene has anti-inflammatory, antineoplastic, and antioxidant actions via modulations of gene expression and enzyme activity.[2] In plants the substance displays antifungal[6] and antiviral activities.[7]
In general, studies have focused on the trans isomer of pterostilbene.[2]

http://www.mendeley....heimer-s-dis-1/

Ptero may be associated to resveratrol but it does not activate sirtuins or produce resveratrol type effects.

When i think about Ptero, i imagine it as a big headed cartoon character, in the cartoon i can see that Ptero is Resveratrol's little brother that simply has down syndrome. He may always be smiling, happy... But is limited to just being associated whith his big brother Resvertrol who i envision as a genius king in robes and regalia that commands legions of genes to do his bidding... In my imagination, most other genes point at ptero and feel bad.

To me little ptero has not shown any more potential than Acai.

A
  • dislike x 5

#20 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

Polyphenols inhibit or express different genes, and affect different metabolic pathways. They are all warriors with different specialties. That's why I prefer to employ an army and not depend on any one supposed " king ". .Afterall, we may wake up one morning and find out that the " King ", wasn't , like Glaxo.
Quote:
" Results : Transcript profiling studies revealed that Pterostilbene significantly down regulated the genes involved with methionine metabolism, while the expression of genes involved in mitochondrial function, transcription factors and drug detoxification were up regulated. Further analysis showed that genes involved with lipid metabolism were also affected ."
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#21 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

If im reading this right...

Then Liver damage is a serious possibility with your unloyal ptero warrior...

It looks like he would try and burn down your bodys methionine factories that normally pay off hired mercenaries like the Tylenol spartans a protection fee so they won't destroy your liver... As well as pay internal wound healers, and others that keep your body and mind working as a team:
http://www.webmd.com...Name=METHIONINE

Whether you consider ptero a big headed down syndrome cartoon or an unloyal warrior who works on trying to poison your liver and making you feel sad by trying to stop methioine production...

It still has issues, and does not activate sirtuins. The reason Resveratrol got on the map was because of sirtuin activation, and all that has shown to do.

Trying to compare it to resveratrol is nonsense unless it is shown to activate sirtuins.

Cheers

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 16 September 2012 - 10:26 PM.

#22 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

If im reading this right...

Then Liver damage is a serious possibility with your unloyal ptero warrior...

It looks like he would try and burn down your bodys methionine factories that pay hired mercenaries like tylenol from destroying your liver... As well as pay internal wound healers, and others that keep your body and mind working as a team:
http://www.webmd.com...Name=METHIONINE

Whether you consider ptero a big headed down syndrome cartoon or an unloyal warrior who works on trying to poison your liver and making you feel sad by trying to stop methioine production...

It still has issues, and does not activate sirtuins. The reason Resveratrol got on the map was because of sirtuin activation, and all that has shown to do.

Trying to compare it to resveratrol is nonsense unless it is shown to activate sirtuins.

Cheers

A

I haven't found anything that suggests any liver toxicity for Ptero. It hasn't been shown to reduce glutathione levels. It is thought that one pathway that contributes to the longevity effect of CR, is methionine restriction. It then makes sense, since Ptero is a CR mimetic that it down regulates genes associated with methionine metabolism.
Excessive methionine overwhelms the body's methylation pathways leading to elevated homocysteine...a marker for aging.

I am not suggesting that Pterostilbene is , in of itself, some miracle antiaging polyphenol. It is complementary to others that have been shown to be beneficial, like resveratrol ( which I take btw ), quercetin, gse, curcumin and silymarin.
  • like x 2

#23 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

Ok you seem to be suggesting one thing while avoiding another... So let me ask you this:

Would you suggest that ptero is a good compliment to Tylonal?

A
  • dislike x 2

#24 RJ100

• 153 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

When i think about Ptero, i imagine it as a big headed cartoon character, in the cartoon i can see that Ptero is Resveratrol's little brother that simply has down syndrome. He may always be smiling, happy... But is limited to just being associated whith his big brother Resvertrol who i envision as a genius king in robes and regalia that commands legions of genes to do his bidding... In my imagination, most other genes point at ptero and feel bad.

To me little ptero has not shown any more potential than Acai.

A

Offensive post to anyone who has a loved one with Downs Syndrome. But hey, this is the internet, so be prepared for offensiveness, right? Right.

I do wish your take on anthropomorphized stilbenoids made sense, or contributed to the thread, but as far as I can see it doesn't.
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#25 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

Ok you seem to be suggesting one thing while avoiding another... So let me ask you this:

A

So far no response to my question about Ptero and Tylonal. Will this combination hurt your liver?

I did post this WebMD link to help you out:
www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-42-METHIONINE.aspx?activeIngredientId=42&activeIngredientName=METHIONINE

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 17 September 2012 - 06:20 PM.

#26 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

It inhibits methionine biosynthesis resulting in a significant effect on methionine metabolism? Sorry, noob question, but does this mimic methionine restriction?

RJ100,

Since you know that Ptero inhibits Methionine production, maybe you can contribute a relevant answer to my question about the Ptero and Tylonal combination?

I will glad debate you on my down syndrome comment on another thread, but this one is about Ptero.

A

#27 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

A

So far no response to my question about Ptero and Tylonal. Will this combination hurt your liver?

I did post this WebMD link to help you out:
www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-42-METHIONINE.aspx?activeIngredientId=42&activeIngredientName=METHIONINE

A

Why would anyone interested in life extension use Tylenol?
  • Good Point x 1

#28 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

Tylonal is one of the top and most dispensed pain killers hospitals and Doctors use here in the states.

If folks push Ptero without knowing the issues, isn't it criminally negligent?

Heck, i don't care if people buy the heck out of it, but at least people should be informed that their liver can have issues if they take Ptero with something as common as Tylonal.

A

#29 RJ100

• 153 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

No thanks. I'm here to learn, not be trolled.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

No thanks. I'm here to learn, not be trolled.

Great, I am glad i have taught you about the possible issues with liver damage when taking Pterostilbene and something as common as Tylonal.

Cheers
A
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pterostilbene, price, quality, mg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users