n-acetylcysteine

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 Annvdb

• 27 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

Hi everyone!

I tried NAC for about 3 weeks or something, but have stopped because I got really tired because of it. Thankfully after 2 days stopping it I am not tired anymore. Also it made me sleep way longer and also made me feel drowsy when waking up.
Another side effect I had is when i took it, afterwards my heartbeat would go from 57 BPM to 90BPM. I could feel my heart beat more and faster, leaving me with an anxious feeling in my chest.

I took 600mg 1 time in the morning.
Im not going to take it again. The side effect for me are way too annoying.

#32 Psychonaut

• 36 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

no one ever experienced respiratory depression? i gave it multiple 1-2 week trials, but breathing became shallower and more labored every time, most notable during physical exertion ..

not sure if changing brand might help, i think i tried 2 different brands

I started a new cycle of this recently, 500mg, had not used it in a couple of years and noticed this on the first and maybe second night, especially the first but it has subsided.

Suffer from ME/CFS, using it to help mood/sleep which has been successful so far, when I have post exertional malaise the emotional wash out is terrible for me. One interesting thing I have noticed though is I seem to be having much less faciful (sexual) thinking, more normal and less intense; I guess this could be a real sign in my case that the NAC is regulating glutamate? Maybe I need some professional advice on that, this obvious change may mean my glutamate under normal circumstances is off? I do have a short history with cannabis induced psychosis, the symptoms can creep on me a little sometimes on bad days, fairly mildly though.

Edited by Psychonaut, 08 September 2013 - 10:37 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 kevers

• 16 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:43 PM

Is that you in the pic you look very young to be experimenting with this stuff?
  • Off-Topic x 1

#34 pennygracie

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:49 AM

I've been taking NAC for a few weeks in hopes of reducing obsessive skin picking. I haven't noticed an improvement yet. Since starting NAC I have experienced spotting. My period is strictly controlled with birth control pills, so it is quite out of the ordinary. My roommate took it the other day and started her period (off schedule) the same day. I may be a little more relaxed than normal, but more emotionally sensitive. My skin which usually breaks out has been really clear. So obviously this stuff is messing with my hormones. Is this normal?

#35 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:27 AM

I've been taking NAC for a few weeks in hopes of reducing obsessive skin picking. I haven't noticed an improvement yet. Since starting NAC I have experienced spotting. My period is strictly controlled with birth control pills, so it is quite out of the ordinary. My roommate took it the other day and started her period (off schedule) the same day. I may be a little more relaxed than normal, but more emotionally sensitive. My skin which usually breaks out has been really clear. So obviously this stuff is messing with my hormones. Is this normal?

NAC may be useful in PCOS. It can lower androgens in women with PCOS. It can help induce ovulation and affect your cycle, especially if you are not cycling normally, for example, skipping or not at all. I had not heard of spotting on bcps. You might ask on soulcysters.net.

#36 pennygracie

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:48 AM

NAC may be useful in PCOS. It can lower androgens in women with PCOS. It can help induce ovulation and affect your cycle, especially if you are not cycling normally, for example, skipping or not at all. I had not heard of spotting on bcps. You might ask on soulcysters.net.

Thanks for the suggestion :) I really want this stuff to work because prescription medication hasn't. I don't have PCOS and I don't know if I want to continue NAC if it puts my cycle out of whack. It makes me think that maybe I will have to be very consistent about taking it if I continue, otherwise my hormones might get temporarily screwed up. I haven't been very consistent thus far. I've been taking 1 or 2 capsules a day at random times.

#37 pennygracie

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

hows your experience with metformin with your pcos?

I don't have PCOS but I work in a pharmacy & there are quite a few patients taking it with PCOS.

#38 ModusOperandi

• 37 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

Ive been taking Nac for 2,5 weeks in the morning, strangely i can't tolerate recommended 500mg per day, half of that is ok. With 500mg it feels like its overstimulating, eg. i can't sit normally, feel little restless, the need to move my foot back on worth makes me feel better lol, some nausea too. Little bit of hungry, when i don't eat for an hour it makes my stomach uncomfortable. Even water helps. Go figure, maybe overstimulating my liver. It does reduce my depression and gives me a certain energy, so that i don't feel so sleepy during the day. Immune system seems to better too, nose don't drip that much when I'm at home after outdoor activities. Cognitive abilities are somewhat better too, although i feel little emotionless, but sharp. To note out that im not your typical healthy guy either and very sensitive to things like that. No Nac fever or diarreah. After a week i had elbow/upper hand pain for 12h so skipped one day and it went away. Looking fwd for other experiences, its very popular ingredient as i came to know. Take care

#39 downregulated

• 11 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

I'm reading the topic and I start to laugh at some posts where people are expecting NAC to be psychoactive, to make you feel this way or that way. NAC is aminoacid with acetyl group, it is not psychoactive and don't expect that it will change your state of counsciousness.
I found out that NAC is one of the best supplements I've tried and I use it when I need it.
NAC is the best thing on the planet to prevent hangovers. When you're feeling hungover drop some NAC with a glass of water and you're hangover free in 15 minutes.
NAC is great for flu and for respiratory problems. It is great overall energy providing and refreshment on many levels when you need it. NAC is beneficial for the liver.
I don't see why anyone should take NAC or any other supplement on daily basis.
If youre curing a certain disease, that's okay, but if you're healthy I don't see a good reason for that.
NAC is great and anyone who thinks the opposite is doing someting wrong.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#40 Harmen

• 11 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:32 PM

If it is a heavy metal chelator it certainly can effect mood!

The NAC actions on glutamate certainly have psychoactive effects.
https://www.psycholo...lems-i-have-nac

Trichotillomania (compulsive hair-pulling, which is both common and exceptionally difficult to treat - several decades of research has come up with nothing as effective as the NAC trial!). Schizophrenia. Bipolar Depression (link is external) (another very difficult and disabling condition that doesn't respond particularly well to therapy or medicine, and the condition I've seen respond most favorably to NAC in my own practice). There is an ongoing study on OCD (link is external). The studies vary between 2000-4800mg daily of the capsules (these are better tolerated than the emergency room drink, which is a much higher overall dose), and in most of the studies, there were more adverse events and side effects in the placebo arm than in the treatment arm. Many of the studies were as long as 6 months, which is a lifetime for randomized controlled clinical trials, and all of the studies had positive effects. That is pretty astounding, considering how pharmaceutical companies have no doubt spent millions and millions chasing down bipolar depression, for example, without much to show for it (there's quetiapine, fluoxetine, and olanzapine+fluoxetine with modest effects and plenty of side effects). Another cute little study used NAC to reduce cocaine cravings (link is external) - again, something for which there is really no effective FDA-approved medical treatment.

#41 Viridarius

• 16 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:49 AM

makes me feel worse...don't put this snake-oil into your body

How did it make you feel worse? And "snake oil"? It has many studies backing it up along with many positive user experiences. I'd hardly call something with so much going to prove it's legitimacy "snake oil". Just because something didn't work for you doesn't mean that it doesn't work for everybody. We all have different body chemistry and this greatly effects if certain supplements work or not. All your experience tells us is that NAC is not for everyone, which is true for most supplements that aren't essential nutrients.

#42 adoado

• 21 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:48 AM

I have been using nac for 3 years now, since i am a daily drinker for 20 years, minimum 1 bottle of wine everyday, sometimes, 1.5-2 bottles, to support my liver i use many liver supplements, one of them which is nac, well, it is one of the few supplements i am taking daily that i can feel the effects of, (daily taking around 35 supplements),

after heavy drinking, i tried some high doses of nac, such as 8-9 pills each 600 mg, the next day, i did not have slightest hangover, i usually take now before drinking, around 3-4x600 mg capsules. so far no complaints.

#43 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:04 AM

I have been using nac for 3 years now, since i am a daily drinker for 20 years, minimum 1 bottle of wine everyday, sometimes, 1.5-2 bottles, to support my liver i use many liver supplements, one of them which is nac, well, it is one of the few supplements i am taking daily that i can feel the effects of, (daily taking around 35 supplements),

after heavy drinking, i tried some high doses of nac, such as 8-9 pills each 600 mg, the next day, i did not have slightest hangover, i usually take now before drinking, around 3-4x600 mg capsules. so far no complaints.

According to Wikipedia NAC can exacerbate ethanol's liver toxicity. For prevention of alcoholic fatty liver just take any of the numerous B vitamins or amino acids that are extremely effective against this very easy to treat condition.

#44 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:15 AM

I find NAC to be effective anti-psychotic most likely through glutamate modulation and increase in histamine levels. It also puts me into objective state of mind and improves my thinking. Excellent stuff!

#45 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:49 PM

I take 1200mg per day because it’s one of the only supplements shown in trials to eliminate amphetamine induced neurotoxicity

#46 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:25 PM

What do you guys think about pharmaceutical grade NAC?

https://www.amazon.c...&ref=mp_s_a_1_1

#47 mono

• 201 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2018 - 04:35 AM

I have schizotypal personality disorder (on the schizo spectrum) and I’ve tried NAC a few times over the last several years or so. It wasn’t until recently my pdoc put me on it, so I was obliged to take it for a number of months without stopping, that I found it to finally work. Mostly I can just feel my mood is better and it feels like there is a mild dopaminergic type response to it too. So it helps with motivational energy, and the nervous system. I find I have less fatigue, and my muscles aren’t as sore as usual either. I take 2400mg once a day with breakfast, although I don’t know long term risks, so far it seems like it is worth continuing to take.

Edited by mono, 02 November 2018 - 04:37 AM.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#48 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:15 PM

I have schizotypal personality disorder (on the schizo spectrum) and I’ve tried NAC a few times over the last several years or so. It wasn’t until recently my pdoc put me on it, so I was obliged to take it for a number of months without stopping, that I found it to finally work. Mostly I can just feel my mood is better and it feels like there is a mild dopaminergic type response to it too. So it helps with motivational energy, and the nervous system. I find I have less fatigue, and my muscles aren’t as sore as usual either. I take 2400mg once a day with breakfast, although I don’t know long term risks, so far it seems like it is worth continuing to take.

How long did you take it continuously before it started to work?

#49 mono

• 201 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:39 PM

About 2 months.

#50 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:02 AM

I’m using this:

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B01LQNN0XI

Dosing seems to be all over the place for NAC
Most brands I see recommend anywhere from 500-1800mg but in a little inserts on this PharmaNac it says something along the lines of up to 10g+ is safe. That seems like an astronomical dose. I only take one of the 900 mg tabs per day.

Edited by John250, 03 November 2018 - 02:02 AM.

#51 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:43 AM

2400 mg /day (2x2 nac sustain) over 20yrs now to control hair loss from mercury originally and seems to maintain it. No pad or other arterial disease issues (ultrasound confirmed) so I think it's a safe for long term use despite rat studies.
  • Cheerful x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#52 nickdino

• 162 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:49 PM

Hi, everyone. Is there a better form or combination of NAC available anywhere? I've read that NAC has poor bioavailability.

Experiments with NAC Amide have been done with positive outcomes but i don't think its available and i've seen a yt video that mentions a combo of NAC and S Acetyl Glutathione.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: n-acetylcysteine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users