* * * - - 7 votes

Ashwagandha - a miracle herb

ashwagandha panic attack anxiety

• Please log in to reply
816 replies to this topic

#691 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:55 PM

I think I can conclude that it's the Twinnings Green Tea with Citrus that made me anxious cause I took it this morning and felt edgy for the entire morning and even afternoon (although I had external stress sources). Also had tachcarida once I woke up. This happened twice in these days.. waking up after a nap and having palpitations. I took a reading with the blood pressure machine to ensure it's not my impression and it was beating at 74 bpm.. my usual resting rate is 60-64, nothing out of this world but still not quite clear why I should wake up with an elevated bpm hr.

At one point I took an L-theanine capsule (3rd one in 3 days) and this time.. it first relaxed me and then after an hour of so.. made me sleepy (but I was watching a relaxing documentary in bed.. so I guess it's natural one gets sleepy). I felt more relax than the morning/afternoon. Now I took another cup of Twinnings Green Tea with Citrus and I am ok.. more alert, maybe a bit more anxious. I do agree with Mangoa that the Green tea caffeine affects me differently from the coffee caffeine. 

NSI green tea extract gave me almost unbearable anxiety. If you do a search for 'green tea anxiety' on this site, you'll find it's not an uncommon reaction.

#692 VerdeGo

• 205 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:31 AM

Mangoa, did you feel any effects? As I said before, I may have been deficient in certain nutrients at the time. I drink two beers every night, and I have done so for years, following a poor diet. Alcohol is known to deplete nutrients and aminos. But this was actually the incident that changed my life around for the better and got me into eating healthier, piquing my interest in amino acids and getting me back on this site. Since then I've felt absolutely wonderful!

My last experience was overkill, and it mimicked the effects of phenylalanine supplementation I've had in the past. I was literally in outer space for a week until I came down from the clouds. My mind was absent of worry, and time moved by very swiftly. I also felt a very physical drug-like effect. Of course I had been eating 20-30 tomatoes every five days or so for a two week period. The last two times I ate that many, I had some discomfort below my stomach, probably involving my colon trying to digest all those seeds. But the effects for me, my coworkers, and a few friends who tried it were very noticeable and involved music enrichment, a mild euphoria, and disinhibited behavior. I can only speculate this was from the phenylalanine/tyrosine content, based on my past experiences over the years from supplementing these two aminos. I also think it has to do with the way the nutrients are absorbed from the tomatoes, because it hits me like a ton of bricks after about 5-10 minutes of ingestion, and no other food has given me such an effect. In fact a coworker now uses them every weekend to spice things up, and I can see a very noticeable effect on his behavior. If you do get pleasurable effects just don't overdo it like I did. Nowadays I eat around 12 at a time when I'm feeling overly anxious, and it seems to do the trick. Because of the tolerance I eventually encountered (though effects were still quite profound but not as euphoric), I'd say it was definitely due to the amino acid profile and their absorption, along with the sheer quantity I had consumed. Good luck buddy!

@Tintinet: I picked up decaffeinated green tea today. Do you know if decaf green tea also causes unwarranted anxiety? I'd rather stick to my l-theanine for now as opposed to drinking it in tea form, however I also bought a box of Yogi tea which contains 19 mg of California Poppy and 8 mg of l-theanine (way too little theanine to get an effect I believe, but what about California poppy?).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#693 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:38 AM

Wow, very informative post. Thank you! I plan to get a meditation routine going once I take a week off of work in 8 days. I'll finally have time to myself then, and this is something I've been wanting to get into. In the past I used an Android app called Insight Timer, which allows me to access guided meditations ranging in time and type and submitted from all over the world. 

How long did it take before meditation started eliciting a positive, substantial response for you? Is it okay to use herbs or amino acids that calm the mind during this process to help ease into meditation, or should it be done under the influence of no substance? 

I have tried chakra meditation when I was a teenager to try to induce an out-of-body-experience. The closest I got wasn't with meditation, but from waking up in the middle of the night and counting in my head. My mind stayed alert while my body drifted back to sleep. I dreamt I was in a race car, and from this dream I was able to project myself out of the dream to where I could see the room. I started lifting out of my body, but suddenly a loud ringing (like an old-fashioned alarm clock was buzzing next to my left ear) startled me awake and ruined the experience. I later read this ringing is a tell-tale sign that you're about to leave your body. But I digress...

How long it takes to notice results is individual - it depends both on how observant you are yourself and how your practice is going - also, development is not necessarily linear. Still, a clinical test of mindfulness training showed physical changes to grey matter density in certain brain regions after a daily practice of 2.5 hours for 8 weeks ( http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3004979/).

If you think you can abstain from 'enhancers' that is likely to be best (reducing attachment is part of the practice). If, on the other hand, your life becomes too difficult to handle without them, then keep using them.

The stage between waking and sleeping is indeed great for exploring the subconscious mind. I've had somewhat similar experiences to yours after waking up in the middle of the night and deciding to just lie perfectly still and pay attention to the breath. :) We just need to remind ourselves not to get attached to pleasant states, as that tends to make the practice more difficult. I recommend checking out the site Dharma Overground which has an extensive forum for meditators in various traditions, and also that you read the site administrator's free ebook 'Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha'.

Edited by Godof Smallthings, 03 May 2015 - 05:41 AM.

#694 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

VerdeGo:

naah I didn't noticed anything. ate 30 tomatoes haha ;]

not even a placebo.

but I was after a night out on a slight hangover, this might be the factor limiting my senses tho ;]

will probably repeat next week but from what I've researched it seems other food sources are higher in phenylalanine than tomatoes.

#695 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:38 AM

also re meditation- I tried it before, got some longer streaks [longest was AFAIR 75 days - from 20mins to 1 hour daily]

why I stopped? After approx. 60 days instead of going deeper I was getting more unpatient or anxious. Also found out that my thoughts are becoming much 'wilder' in a way. Maybe it was a 'detox' - like before sun goes up you got night first.. IDK. Just stopped it [maybe I was doing it wrongly - I did a classic Zen meditation when you just observe your thoughts and remain conscious]

I've had several experiences which were definitely deeper meditation, that was really cool but again I ditched that.

I plan to give it another try soon, though.

#696 Chris_T_Malta

• 87 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:39 AM

On Wednesday, I had pasta with loads of tomatoes (and green pepper) and felt great but on Thursday I did the same and didn't feel anything.

I have added a good amount of tomatoes in my regular daily diet, starting this week and will report accordingly.

I spent the last 3 days reading about Julia Ross and Trudy Scott's presentation and theories and I will try this to see if it affects significantly my moods. 

#697 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

Guys, I guess the crux between all this is just to have healthy, balanced diet with a lot of vegetables and fruits. This way you'll naturally support your body with every possible amino-acids and other ingredients. Too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing- the only low side of this is that you need to spend more money and time to prepare food.

Also, I tried Alpha-Lipoic-Acid [for its anti-neuropathic and regenerative propertiesand it definitely works- calming nervous system but it felt like more like calm was coming from inside of the brain. Weird, but pleasant. Stopped taking it as it was too acidic again - might be something with my acidic/alcaic balance with me, anyway ;]

http://www.webmd.com...pha-lipoic-acid

#698 mrvontar

• 40 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:52 AM

On Wednesday, I had pasta with loads of tomatoes (and green pepper) and felt great but on Thursday I did the same and didn't feel anything.

I have added a good amount of tomatoes in my regular daily diet, starting this week and will report accordingly.

I spent the last 3 days reading about Julia Ross and Trudy Scott's presentation and theories and I will try this to see if it affects significantly my moods. 

What is supposed to be good about tomatoes besides lycopene? On an unrelated note, I've been craving spaghetti lately and more so spaghetti sauce. Although not so much anymore after binging on it.

I've taken ashwagandha for a long time in the past in high dosages at times as well. Now, I don't take it very often. The things I take every day are low-dose lithium, gotu kola, red panax ginseng, and bacopa monnieri. I was originally taking ashwagandha for socializing but I'm not worrying about that anymore. One time I took 9g of the root extract and didn't notice anything. I still take KSM-66 and sensoril occassionally. 

I've taken ashwagandha and amphetamines before and didn't notice a difference between when I had just taken amphetamines. If you're looking for something for stress, I think I read on examine.com that muira puma relieved chronic stress in rats completely but I've heard elsewhere it might increase anxiety. A lot of what I take actually lowers stress/anxiety.

#699 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:53 AM

@Tintinet: I picked up decaffeinated green tea today. Do you know if decaf green tea also causes unwarranted anxiety? I'd rather stick to my l-theanine for now as opposed to drinking it in tea form, however I also bought a box of Yogi tea which contains 19 mg of California Poppy and 8 mg of l-theanine (way too little theanine to get an effect I believe, but what about California poppy?).

to be honest I experimented with every possible beverage and even decaf green tea does not work. Might be some combination of chemicals in it...

Now I am just drinking chamomile tea and rooibos tea- no caffeine [0,0% ;) ] and full of antioxidants. Tastes great, too! 

During the weekend I broke the rule and drink some caffeinated beverages - I am already feeling more anxious and the inner calm and peace is definitely disturbed. I will get back on track from tomorrow as those 14 days without caffeine got me hooked - effects on improving my sleep quality and energy levels were amazing!

Edited by mangoa, 03 May 2015 - 11:56 AM.

#700 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:01 PM

What is supposed to be good about tomatoes besides lycopene?

apparently they contain phenylalanine.. but it seems that the exact quantity isn't well researched. 

#701 Chris_T_Malta

• 87 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:06 PM

I think I can conclude that it's the Twinnings Green Tea with Citrus that made me anxious cause I took it this morning and felt edgy for the entire morning and even afternoon (although I had external stress sources). Also had tachcarida once I woke up. This happened twice in these days.. waking up after a nap and having palpitations. I took a reading with the blood pressure machine to ensure it's not my impression and it was beating at 74 bpm.. my usual resting rate is 60-64, nothing out of this world but still not quite clear why I should wake up with an elevated bpm hr.

At one point I took an L-theanine capsule (3rd one in 3 days) and this time.. it first relaxed me and then after an hour of so.. made me sleepy (but I was watching a relaxing documentary in bed.. so I guess it's natural one gets sleepy). I felt more relax than the morning/afternoon. Now I took another cup of Twinnings Green Tea with Citrus and I am ok.. more alert, maybe a bit more anxious. I do agree with Mangoa that the Green tea caffeine affects me differently from the coffee caffeine. 

NSI green tea extract gave me almost unbearable anxiety. If you do a search for 'green tea anxiety' on this site, you'll find it's not an uncommon reaction.

I am now thinking that the anxiety was caused by lack of caffeine (from coffee) rather than the green tea. Cause I was trying to substitute caffeine with tea and the lack of caffeine (or a much less dose) could have triggered anxiety as a withdrawal effect. 

It has been three days since I stopped taking tea or coffee. Yesterday I felt very anxious and woke up with a headache (the pain was mainly on top of my eyes). Today I woke up well. All these would mean nothing if it wasn't backed up by the fact that today I had a fantastic training performance - not only I am back to the pre-ASH performance levels (where my performance dipped), I feel I am significantly less tired after the session.  

So I have a question to all those who had adverse (anxiety increasing) effects from ASH.. did you take it whilst also consuming coffee regularly?).

#702 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

Headaches are the most common caffeine withdrawal symptom. ;)

Ashwagandha also caused headaches in myself and my gf back in the days.

I didn't mixed it with coffee, she did. There wasn't any difference AFAIR.

#703 Chris_T_Malta

• 87 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

What I am wondering is: is it possible that caffeine was undermining my physical performance cause as far as I know the opposite should be the case.

Or maybe is this improvement the result of 2 other changes I introduced recently in my diet: Probiotics in the morning  (as far as I know these do not effect physical performance but only gut/mental health) and butter from grass-fed cows (Kerry Gold Salted).

I am also noting that the intake of pasta could be having an anxiety-inducing effect but at the same time a positive effect on performance. I will TRY to keep caffeine out of my diet till  next Friday. I am working on a Standard Diet and I'll try to stick to it as much as possible.

#704 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

temporary supplementing with caffeine before or during workout can help, but if you're chronic user -it actually doesn't help. It just brings you back to 'normal' and when you quit drinking it- your body will slowly detox and raise energy levels naturally. You might need 4 weeks for this, or 4 months. It depends. 

I am casually taking probiotics and I can confirm that they have no effect on performance. :)

Butter? Naah. I'd say is the caffeine. The most obvious solution is usually correct.

I'm beginning my 'Goal30' from tomorrow- means no caffeine at all from any kind of source. For 30 days. Will report here accordingly. :)

Edited by mangoa, 03 May 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#705 Chris_T_Malta

• 87 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

The one who makes a lot of fuss on this butter is Dave Asprey. This comes from the Paleo crowd and from the anti-grains camp. Speaking of anti-grains camp, found this video which I found quite holistic in its explanation of sub-clinical gluten intolerance.

The trick is.. how to know you have it?

#706 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:20 PM

doesn't convince me to be honest. the lack of comments - also. looks like product advertisement to me. ;)

balanced diet is all what we need. if you were born in India you'll have different digestive system and needs than someone born in Spain or UK. 

#707 Chris_T_Malta

• 87 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:45 PM

doesn't convince me to be honest. the lack of comments - also. looks like product advertisement to me. ;)

balanced diet is all what we need. if you were born in India you'll have different digestive system and needs than someone born in Spain or UK. 

Balanced diet is certainly essential but it's not as easy as that.

We have to identify foods to which we're either allergic or intolerant. If we rotate foods, intolerance might be a minor issue and that's where a varied diet helps but still any kind of allergy, intolerance (or fungi/viral/bacterial infection) will put stress on our adrenal glands. So identifying (within the realm of the possible) these foods is very important. We seem to have the technology to do this although it's not that reliable yet.

The balanced diet must also factor in genetic and environmental issues. More iron for people with defects in iron absorption for example or more stress-aides to people with stressful jobs. All of this requires planned and logged nutrition followed by self-observation and enhancements. It also requires a very good basic knowledge of the body otherwise the observations will not translate in adequate enhancements in the nutrition. 

The body is a complex machine (with the brain being even more complex than that) and understanding all of the components that affects its performance should be a primary objective for everyone aiming at optimal physical and mental health.

#708 somuchforthat22

• 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:56 PM

this stuff seemed to have an anti anxiety effect on me, but goddamn, the cold sores were popping up left and right.  crazy.  had to stop taking it. 

#709 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:35 AM

I have to say, I am an herbal med doubter and I had a very good experience with ASH.  In fact, I might put it in the 3 % of herbal remedies that are actually work the money!  I'm 48 and I find it's very effective as an adaptogen and not bad for the libido either.  Good stuff if cycled on a two week on two week off basis in my book.

#710 VerdeGo

• 205 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:10 AM

Wow, this thread became really active in the past 24 hours!

@mangoa: It's interesting you didn't notice anything. But then again I was probably deficient because of my own past diet and daily, moderate alcohol intake (along with coworkers who eat greasy, fried food on a regular basis), and my very high sensitivity to chemicals. I guess everybody is different, and the body/brain are indeed complex. I've only taken alpha-lipoic acid before in supplement form because it was a component of the acetyl-l-carnitine capsules I was taking (ALCAR). I never tried taking it by itself to discern the individual effects. But the capsules were highly acidic (at the time I thought it was from the carnitine, and not the other ingredient which had the word "acid" in it, haha). BTW what is roobios tea? Is it a GABAergic similar to chamomile?

@Chris: I think you nailed it with the caffeine-induced anxiety after stopping. Luckily it's mild, and I'm glad to hear you're back to pre-ASH levels. As far as butter, I've been eating something called Earth Balance, which is supposedly a natural butter substitute (oil blend of palm fruit, canola, safflower, flax and olive oils, water, less than 2% salt, pea protein, sunflower lecithin, non-dairly lactic acid and naturally extracted annatto for color) which is non-GMO, vegan, no trans fat, gluten free and non-dairy. It also contains 400 mg of ALA Omega-3. It seems to be helping overall with mood, and I put it on a lot of things. Otherwise I use olive oil as a butter substitute. As far as gluten is concerned, I try to limit to as much as I can, but from my understanding not all grains are bad, and whole wheat (non processed) can extend your life. You can also buy gluten-free bread, but I think whole grains are not going to be detrimental to your health. 

For serotonin I plan to continue exercising, going for AM walks in the sunshine, eating black beans followed by brown rice, drinking milk for lactalbumin, and so on. It seems I don't have a need for lysine at this moment, though I plan to buy some so I can have it on hand to experiment with next time my levels dip substantially. It seems my diet is working well for keeping serotonin at good levels. For dopamine I take B9 and/or l-theanine when needed, and cherry tomatoes (I still don't know why they have such an effect, but for me it's definitely not placebo). For GABA I take theanine (going to start glutamine soon too, since it's also a GABA prescursor and helps build muscle), anxiolytic herbs like chamomile, lemon balm, etc., and may soon be trying gotu kola, though I'm still not sure if it's a GABA agonist or an herb that naturally increases GABA concentration in the brain. 

In truth, the dietary changes I've made (incorporating fruits and vegetables and eating foods to address false moods and boost certain neurotransmitters), the use of l-theanine and other amino acids as needed and drinking calming teas once a week, along with exercise, has really made a profound difference on my life. I think I've hit a sweet spot, but I'm open to further experimentation so I have more options to take sparingly and experiment with. But for now everything seems to be in balance, though curiosity usually gets the better of me. I plan on going to an herbal shop in the near future and obtaining each anxiolytic herb separately (hops extract, California poppy, skullcap, lemon balm, etc.) and trying them by themselves in teas to discern their individual effects, then cycling them every week to mix things up. 

@mrvontar: What effects does gotu kola have on you, and why are you taking it? I read tonight (see the l-theanine for the long term? thread) that it can create new dendrite growth and increase cerebral GABA levels. Any addiction potential or rebound anxiety? Also I'm concerned about the liver warnings on WebMD, which is why I haven't used kava (I drink two beers a night, so I try to avoid any substance that puts additional stress on the liver).

Edited by VerdeGo, 04 May 2015 - 04:34 AM.

#711 Chris_T_Malta

• 87 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:27 AM

Roobios tea was mentioned in one of Trudy Scott's presentations (of which I must have watched half a dozen this w/e).

Found this link --> http://www.everywoma...ment-of-stress/

This is a site for females but I am assuming that the effect is similar on men!

#712 mrvontar

• 40 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:29 AM

@mrvontar: What effects does gotu kola have on you, and why are you taking it? I read tonight (see the l-theanine for the long term? thread) that it can create new dendrite growth and increase cerebral GABA levels. Any addiction potential or rebound anxiety? Also I'm concerned about the liver warnings on WebMD, which is why I haven't used kava (I drink two beers a night, so I try to avoid any substance that puts additional stress on the liver).

I'm taking gotu kola for brain enhancement hopefully, alongside bacopa. I don't feel addiction to anything that I know of, so hard to say. And I've never noticed much anxiety reduction from any herb, only prescription meds/phenibut. I noticed euphoria from kava but only a few times. It was either kava or some other drug; it gave the word "euphoria" a new meaning. 

Most of what I take is for the brain and luckily a lot of them have good effects on the body as well. I also exercise daily and try to meditate for at least 30 minutes a day. Soon I might be getting into yoga as well. 

#713 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:33 AM

also re meditation- I tried it before, got some longer streaks [longest was AFAIR 75 days - from 20mins to 1 hour daily]

why I stopped? After approx. 60 days instead of going deeper I was getting more unpatient or anxious. Also found out that my thoughts are becoming much 'wilder' in a way. Maybe it was a 'detox' - like before sun goes up you got night first.. IDK. Just stopped it [maybe I was doing it wrongly - I did a classic Zen meditation when you just observe your thoughts and remain conscious]

I've had several experiences which were definitely deeper meditation, that was really cool but again I ditched that.

I plan to give it another try soon, though.

The idea that the actual meditation sessions are supposed to get progressively better is a very common assumption. I also had it. But it does not hold up. There is no good yardstick, but long-term, it is what changes occur in everyday life that matter.

Also, secularly taught meditation sometimes does not emphasize the ethical side enough. I.e. for a person who gets stinking drunk on a regular basis, it will be next to impossible to benefit from meditation, because drinking dulls the mind. A person who on the deep level feels he is not doing what he ought to in his job, will also be more easily annoyed and impatient. Mindfulness can make people wake up to a life they know they must change in order to get in balance. To make those changes can take effort and courage, and maybe support from others. In Buddhism there are five training rules (precepts) to follow to the best of one's ability, in order to get the ethical side sorted.

To do meditation practice completely on one's own, without a teacher or meeting up/communicating with a group for support of some kind is not for everyone - not even for most people, I think. A good teacher or spiritual friend will be able to give you the right type of encouragement, or advice, or even nudge or kick you in the butt when necessary - all for the purpose of progress.

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#714 Chris_T_Malta

• 87 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

temporary supplementing with caffeine before or during workout can help, but if you're chronic user -it actually doesn't help. It just brings you back to 'normal' and when you quit drinking it- your body will slowly detox and raise energy levels naturally. You might need 4 weeks for this, or 4 months. It depends. 

I am noting a significant improvement in my physical performance - on Sunday it was weight-lifting.. today it was stamina.

Today I went for a bike ride and I use a HR-monitor and the app Endomondo to log my HR vis-a-vis altitude (effort) performance.

At the end of my usual route there is a steep uphill where I always struggle (I have low stamina). However today I felt it much easier than usual. You might say.. "perception" or "placebo" but...

.. I got the data.

I analysed my past performance and today's performance and noted that whilst in my past performance the HR rate went up and up the longer it took me to reach the top of the hill; today the HR stabilized mid-way to the hill and then remained constant. Not quite sure what to conclude from this; I'll need to replicate it to be sure it wasn't a once off. If I had to speculate, I would say that my heart (without caffeine) seem to be adapting more quickly to surge in performance and going back to normal more quickly once no more effort is needed. On the other hand, there is no real difference in the max heart rate (167 bpm in the past/163 bpm today).

#715 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:03 PM

makes sense. after all caffeine stimulates artificial load on the heart- adrenaline release and all. 

you know, media are saying 'caffeine is good for you' - well maybe if you drink one cup per month, but most ppl are just addicted to it and hooked up. and remember that not so long ago they were selling cigarettes with ads saying 'doctors smoke camels' ;) [not even mentioning coca-cola with cocaine and amphetamine prescribed for depression] science might be true, unless someone claims it is no longer that way.

yet, what also needs to be considered is the money factor. caffeinated drinks market is huge.

Edited by mangoa, 05 May 2015 - 05:05 PM.

#716 VerdeGo

• 205 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

Godof Smallthings, is there a type of meditation that involves being mindless, not mindful? I already have an overactive mind, and I'm too perceptive of my surroundings. I can't be hypnotized, and it's very hard to sleep in a foreign environment. I need something that makes me less aware of my surroundings, if this is possible. What type of meditation should I pursuing?

#717 Chris_T_Malta

• 87 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:11 PM

makes sense. after all caffeine stimulates artificial load on the heart- adrenaline release and all. 

you know, media are saying 'caffeine is good for you' - well maybe if you drink one cup per month, but most ppl are just addicted to it and hooked up. and remember that not so long ago they were selling cigarettes with ads saying 'doctors smoke camels' ;) [not even mentioning coca-cola with cocaine and amphetamine prescribed for depression] science might be true, unless someone claims it is no longer that way.

yet, what also needs to be considered is the money factor. caffeinated drinks market is huge.

Lately I have read a lot of studies on the benefits of coffee and thus I was drinking it without a "guilty conscience". However my intake was that high.. 3 cups a day and yet its effect was profound. 

Since when I went cold turkey, my anxiety didn't really improve but physically I am getting better and better. Today I had to work at home due to excessive work load and decided not to train (weight-lifting). At around 9.30PM, I felt like training and did Bicep Curls and Barbell Upright Row. I didn't expect a good performance since it's late (pros tell you to train in the morning) and yet; in both exercises I peaked (lifting the best in 2 years) and my heart rate returned to normal 5 minutes follow the exercise (usually it takes a lot more). 

I have to add that I am adding a lot of butter (Kerry Gold) to my diet and that might be affecting me positively too (physically not mentally..). I soaked a good chunk of butter in a scoop of Protein Powder; made a fine mess (:D) but had it anyway. On top of that I add lamb today.. fatty as you can imagine. Will read more about fatty-diets once I am done with Trudy Scott's book about anxiety.

#718 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:42 PM

guys, any update on people who were trying with L-Lysine?

I had a break with it (almost two weeks, intervened by 1-2 days of supplementing with it lower-doses [1000mg max])

I felt okay - however today I bought new pack and I feel the mental need to eat... like my brain was asking for it. I took 1500mg, and feel euphoric the whole afternoon. 

Now, I wonder- does this mean my brain is permanently damaged somehow and low in serotonin/GABA - ? 

I am worried because long term use of lysine [like 2-3 years] might cause kidney stones. I don't want that. 

I must admit Im in rather stressful life situation right now [looking for new flat and got only limited time to do it and I feel 300% difference between my mood before taking lysine today and after. I am calm, smiling and in a perfect mood. I must admit that one day before I could not relax and I was noticeably anxious]

It is great but the strong effects bamboozle me 

#719 VerdeGo

• 205 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:43 AM

I tried lysine two days ago. I was experiencing the emotionally dulling after-effects of theanine when I used it. I sort of used it as a last resort to try to brighten my mood and make me feel normal again. It was a very weird experience. I felt uncomfortable and edgy at times. I was socially withdrawn, and I felt like I could only use part of my brain to function. It almost felt like a "trip" without any psychedelic effects now that I look back on it. It's really hard to explain, and I'm guessing that is due to the partial antagonistic effects of the serotonin 5ht4 receptor. It seemed my dopamine had already crashed from taking theanine two days prior, but I noticed my mood was either the same or slightly worse, given the circumstances.

I took vitamin B9 (folic acid) to give my dopamine receptors a boost. That seemed to work as far as finding new interest in life around me. However, a few hours after taking the folic acid, I experienced very high agitation around other people. I was so aggravated (not like me at all!), I had to remove myself from the situation and sat silently on the floor, stewing in unprovoked anger and frustration, and unable to think or find a way out. Unexplained agitation is usually a false mood attributed to low serotonin levels. I remembered I had lavender essential oil, so I forced myself to dab a drop on my wrist. Within minutes all agitation was gone, my mind was no longer going around in circles, and I picked up a book (the thought of reading enraged me just moments before) and read for several hours, enjoying the rest of my evening. Lavender is a partial serotonin 5ht1a agonist, so I guess playing around with different serotonin receptors affects people in different ways. I know you didn't get any effects off cherry tomatoes, though I experienced a profound, life-changing event. We obviously have different brain chemistry going on. 

I doubt your brain is damaged just because lysine gave you such amazing results. I've had similar experiences with other substances like amino acids, though they were usually ones that affected dopamine, not serotonin. I think my serotonin is usually elevated, so by blocking the 5ht4 receptor, this somehow put me in a worse mood and gave me physical anxiety. Not really sure. I hope someone can help us figure this out regarding lysine.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#720 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:24 AM

try it out without mixing with theanine.

but maybe we are sensitive to different things as for sure lysine gives me social edge [rather than making me agitated it makes me calm]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ashwagandha, panic attack, anxiety

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users