Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

C60 Toxicity Concerns and anecdotal reports

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#91 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

Just a follow-up: I went to my GP and got some tests run on my kidney function. Everything checked out fine thus my kidney discomfort I experienced earlier after taking c60 did not cause lasting problems.

#92 MarcD

• 51 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

I'm now taking C60/OO for months. I've testet the following: ALAT (GPT), Alkalische Phosphatase, ASAT (GOT), Calcium, Cholesterin, C-reactives Protein, Ferritin, y-Glutamyltransferase, Glikose, Hämatogramm II, HDL-Cholesterin, Kalium, Kreatinin, LDL-Cholesterin, Natrium, Blutsenkungsreaktion, TSH, Triglyceride, Vit. B12, Zytomegalie IgG, Zytomagelie IgM, VCA IgG-Ak, VCA IgM - Ak, EBNA IgG - Ak, HIV-Ak ;-) and so on... Everything is normal... just B12 was very high... If someone is interested in before and after C60/OO blootworks of mine, I would share them. But there is really nothing special
  • Informative x 1

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for C60 HEALTH to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 Shaved APE

• 10 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Has anybody else experienced dizziness / nausea after taking C60?

I've got a 50ml bottle (C60 in evoo), and have thus far taken around half; I started back in January, and took it daily for around 1 week (until I started getting dizzy spells), and then repeated the experiment twice at several week intervals.

On each occasion I experienced dizziness after several days use (whereupon I stopped), and the last time I used it (about a week ago) I felt dizzy & nauseous as soon as I swallowed!

These effects seem to have worn off, which suggests it is being eliminated from my system.

Feel somewhat nervous of trying this again.

#94 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

Has anybody else experienced dizziness / nausea after taking C60?

I've got a 50ml bottle (C60 in evoo), and have thus far taken around half; I started back in January, and took it daily for around 1 week (until I started getting dizzy spells), and then repeated the experiment twice at several week intervals.

On each occasion I experienced dizziness after several days use (whereupon I stopped), and the last time I used it (about a week ago) I felt dizzy & nauseous as soon as I swallowed!

These effects seem to have worn off, which suggests it is being eliminated from my system.

Feel somewhat nervous of trying this again.

Getting dizzy as soon as you swallowed seems unlikely if C60 is the putative cause. Have you tried the same amount of olive oil without C60?

#95 Shaved APE

• 10 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

I'm fine with evoo on its own ... use it all the time without problem.

I had a similar problem with almonds a few years back: increasingly severe reaction until finally I had the helicopters & nearly passed out directly on swallowing.

Once the body decides it doesn't like something, it can react very quickly.

Also, there are no other potential causes (I repeated the experiment 3 times)

#96 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Even the worst of food allergies that trigger full blown anaphylactic shock generally take a couple of minutes for full blown symptoms to appear. Not that dizziness by itself is a sign of anaphylaxis.

Such a reaction immediately upon swallowing seems more psychosomatic to me to be honest.
  • dislike x 1

#97 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Anaphylaxis comes on fast, but I agree with mike, I don't think it would be like flipping a light switch. Maybe it's not anaphylaxis but some sort of weird neural thing. While a psychosomatic response to a weird new nanotech drug makes sense, I can't really see anyone having a placebo response to an almond.

As long as I'm in this thread, I had something pop up the other day- I developed a sinus infection a couple weeks back, and I was about a week into a course of antibiotics (levaquin), and feeling pretty much cured when I took my monthly dose of c60-oo. I think it was just the next day that I started feeling symptoms of the infection return. My first thought was 'oh crap, I've grown some bugs that are unresponsive to levaquin, now I'm going to have to get a new antibiotic and start this gut-wrecking thing all over again'. While I still think that's the most likely reason, it occurred to me that I might have dosed some bacteria with c60-oo and created a race of superbugs. I doubt that c60 would change their response to antibiotics, but it might make them more resistant to being killed by the immune system via respiratory burst. I've been chronically sleep deprived during this event, which might be a causal factor as well. Has anyone else tried this perhaps ill-advised combination of c60-oo and a bacterial infection?

#98 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

I have a mild sinus infection, but I haven't noticed it reacting any differently than usual. Sleep, netti pot, and astragalus root extract (though not before bed since it keeps me up) seem to help.

#99 zorba990

• Topic Starter
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

My guess would be skipped heart beat. This can happen with a fat load if your gallbladder is not functioning optimally.

#100 Shaved APE

• 10 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hi all,

thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

The wave of dizziness / nausea was not the usual 'headrush' that you might experience upon standing too quickly, but rather was more akin to a buzzing sensation in my head. It occurs intermittently and lasts a few seconds, whether sitting or standing. I'm still experiencing these a week after my last C60 dose, although they are reducing in frequency and severity.

The fact that I experienced the same result at the end of each of the 3 trials I've undertaken, is strongly suggestive of C60 being the cause (at least in my own mind).

I think I'm at the stage now where my body has decided it really doesn't like the stuff, and reacts directly upon ingestion (as per the almonds).

I would also say that despite all the claims made for C60, I experienced no discernible improvements in wellbeing; in particular, I regularly exercise and did not experience any increase in my capacity for exercise (maximum weight lifted, maximum training time, recovery time,... etc).

In fact, the only thing I noticed from using C60, was dizziness and nausea.

It wouldn't surprise me if the rat-study turns out to have been flawed.

It wouldn't surprise me if we've all been poisoning ourselves.

#101 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

Hi all,

thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

The wave of dizziness / nausea was not the usual 'headrush' that you might experience upon standing too quickly, but rather was more akin to a buzzing sensation in my head. It occurs intermittently and lasts a few seconds, whether sitting or standing. I'm still experiencing these a week after my last C60 dose, although they are reducing in frequency and severity.

The fact that I experienced the same result at the end of each of the 3 trials I've undertaken, is strongly suggestive of C60 being the cause (at least in my own mind).

I think I'm at the stage now where my body has decided it really doesn't like the stuff, and reacts directly upon ingestion (as per the almonds).

I would also say that despite all the claims made for C60, I experienced no discernible improvements in wellbeing; in particular, I regularly exercise and did not experience any increase in my capacity for exercise (maximum weight lifted, maximum training time, recovery time,... etc).

In fact, the only thing I noticed from using C60, was dizziness and nausea.

Sorry to hear about that. Could you get a friend to give you a double blind drop of EVOO and/or C60/EVOO to see if you might be getting a nocebo effect?

#102 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

The Baati/Moussa study was a toxicity study. The rat longevity results were just an unanticipated byproduct.
There have to be close to a hundred human rats on longecity at this point ( including me ), and there have been very few negative reactions reported to date.
If one is relatively healthy, you are less likely to " feel " anything measurable from modest supplementation. That doesn't mean that C60 isn't having positive effects on a cellular level.
  • like x 1

#103 motorcitykid

• 276 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

Anaphylaxis comes on fast, but I agree with mike, I don't think it would be like flipping a light switch. Maybe it's not anaphylaxis but some sort of weird neural thing. While a psychosomatic response to a weird new nanotech drug makes sense, I can't really see anyone having a placebo response to an almond.

As long as I'm in this thread, I had something pop up the other day- I developed a sinus infection a couple weeks back, and I was about a week into a course of antibiotics (levaquin), and feeling pretty much cured when I took my monthly dose of c60-oo. I think it was just the next day that I started feeling symptoms of the infection return. My first thought was 'oh crap, I've grown some bugs that are unresponsive to levaquin, now I'm going to have to get a new antibiotic and start this gut-wrecking thing all over again'. While I still think that's the most likely reason, it occurred to me that I might have dosed some bacteria with c60-oo and created a race of superbugs. I doubt that c60 would change their response to antibiotics, but it might make them more resistant to being killed by the immune system via respiratory burst. I've been chronically sleep deprived during this event, which might be a causal factor as well. Has anyone else tried this perhaps ill-advised combination of c60-oo and a bacterial infection?

About a month ago, I started coming down with a slight cough and sinus infection. I rushed to my usual cold and flu prevention stack -Quantum cold and flu formula, Andrografis, mullein,zinc and vitamin C. Within three days I was back to normal. The slight cough and sinus infection never developed into anything serious. I had taken a 15 mg dose of C60 somewhere between 9-12 days prior to developing the cold and flu symptoms.

#104 Shaved APE

• 10 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

I've just had another thought: I started noticing these symptoms (dizziness) from the start of January (which is when I began the first of 1 week trials of C60). The dizzy spells were strongly correlated with use of C60, and were most noticeable towards the end of each of the week on each occasion.

I am still getting dizzy spells however, even though the last ingestion of C60 took place over a week ago. In fact they seem to be getting worse, and were quite severe last night.

The above, and replies to my original post, led me to think about other possible causes, and I realised that I had also started using Tretinoin around the same time as I started the C60. A spot of Googling has revealed that Tretinoin can cause dizziness, so I've stopped using it as of last night. I'm hoping the dizziness subsides. I've also been getting other symptoms: mood swings, rages, and getting up to pee several times a night.

This possibly suggests some sort of hormonal imbalance perhaps caused by the Tretinoin.

If correct, then the fact that the effects were most pronounced when taking the C60, may be the oft-reported effect that C60 enhances the potency of medications.

We'll see how it goes now I'm off the Tretinoin, and I'll keep you posted.

ShavedApe :)

#105 Andre69

• 14 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

I've just had another thought: I started noticing these symptoms (dizziness) from the start of January (which is when I began the first of 1 week trials of C60). The dizzy spells were strongly correlated with use of C60, and were most noticeable towards the end of each of the week on each occasion.

I am still getting dizzy spells however, even though the last ingestion of C60 took place over a week ago. In fact they seem to be getting worse, and were quite severe last night.

The above, and replies to my original post, led me to think about other possible causes, and I realised that I had also started using Tretinoin around the same time as I started the C60. A spot of Googling has revealed that Tretinoin can cause dizziness, so I've stopped using it as of last night. I'm hoping the dizziness subsides. I've also been getting other symptoms: mood swings, rages, and getting up to pee several times a night.

This possibly suggests some sort of hormonal imbalance perhaps caused by the Tretinoin.

If correct, then the fact that the effects were most pronounced when taking the C60, may be the oft-reported effect that C60 enhances the potency of medications.

You are definitely not the only one reporting negative effects from C60. I have had the same issue with dizziness like you. For me it was like I was in a cloud, foggy head unable to think clearly and on top of that I think I might have damaged my kidney! :(
Dizziness came in fast after dosing but the kidney pain came after a week. Am not the only one reporting some kidney discomfort.
I have stopped taking it for a week and thought that the pain was gone but its still there from time to time. I visit the toilet far more often and my urine has changed into a pale colour rather than the nice yellow it used to be.
I really wonder what is going on and how C60 causes pain specifically to the kidneys.
I had also experienced some muscle twitching when I took C60 for the last time.
The way C60 might affect your body is just too complex to understand because its such an unusual molecule. I have decided to stay away from it. Maybe you should too if you experience the same.
Now I have to book an appointment with a urologist just in case! I hope its all my imagination exaggerating things.

Edited by Andre69, 29 May 2013 - 01:30 PM.

#106 Lister

• Member, Moderator
  • 390 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

You are definitely not the only one reporting negative effects from C60. I have had the same issue with dizziness like you. For me it was like I was in a cloud, foggy head unable to think clearly and on top of that I think I might have damaged my kidney! :(
Dizziness came in fast after dosing but the kidney pain came after a week. Am not the only one reporting some kidney discomfort.
I have stopped taking it for a week and thought that the pain was gone but its still there from time to time. I visit the toilet far more often and my urine has changed into a pale colour rather than the nice yellow it used to be.
I really wonder what is going on and how C60 causes pain specifically to the kidneys.
The way C60 might affect your body is just too complex to understand because its such an unusual molecule. I have decided to stay away from it. Maybe you should too if you experience the same.
Now I have to book an appointment with a urologist just in case! I hope its all my imagination exaggerating things.

Speaking as the first person to (falsely) report Kidney pain I will remind you need to remember where your kidneys are. If the pain you’re experiencing is on your sides or in your stomach that’s not where your kidneys are.

Additionally your urine being a nice yellow means you’re not drinking enough water. As long as it doesn’t turn green or some other weird color you’re fine. A pale yellow or clear urine is a good, healthy sign.

As far as the dizzy spells I highly doubt they have anything to do with C60. The effects are likely the result of the other supplement mentioned or some other underlying cause.

As far as the “cog fog” I’m not really sure on that one. For me if I took a lot of C60 over several consecutive days I would get a bit of a weird somewhat “cog fog” effect as though I was building up too much c60 in my system. I found that breaking the dose up into larger less frequent doses such as 3 doses each week worked significantly better.

#107 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:58 AM

There have been a lot of reports of random autonomic effects, like sweating or sleepiness. These all seemed to occur in the first couple doses in any given person, if they occurred at all. I wonder if the dizziness is just a more extreme version of that? Similar things have been reported in the literature with NAC, and these were also transient effects that occurred once or twice at the beginning of treatment. This seems to be something that is common to antioxidants, given sufficient potency and dose.

#108 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

I just finished my first bottle of Vaughters. The second one (I opened yesterday) has a different taste - smells more like olive. I'm not sure if the first bottle had the same flavor in the beginning. Maybe opening and closing to bottle twice a day oxides the oil.

I just started again last week at 1.5mg per day of the Vaughters. The olive oil seems to have more of a throat hit. I have just started back at the gym. Have gone to the park a few times recently and used dumbbells but first day today with a full workout in a proper gym. I felt good, I cant say that I was surprised by my strength but I did feel good and took it easy so as to not end up sore for a week.

#109 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

There have been a lot of reports of random autonomic effects, like sweating or sleepiness. These all seemed to occur in the first couple doses in any given person, if they occurred at all. I wonder if the dizziness is just a more extreme version of that? Similar things have been reported in the literature with NAC, and these were also transient effects that occurred once or twice at the beginning of treatment. This seems to be something that is common to antioxidants, given sufficient potency and dose.

I feel that I am more mentally tired while taking it, the first week of taking it I did feel like sleeping more and I did sleep more. I usually have trouble sleeping, even several otc histamine based sleepers can usually only keep me asleep for 4-6 hours. Last night I slept 12hrs for the first time in maybe a year.

#110 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

I feel that I am more mentally tired while taking it, the first week of taking it I did feel like sleeping more and I did sleep more. I usually have trouble sleeping, even several otc histamine based sleepers can usually only keep me asleep for 4-6 hours. Last night I slept 12hrs for the first time in maybe a year.

I've been taking it for almost a year. I do seem to sleep more, lately, when I have time. I never took naps in my adult life before this past year, but now, on weekends, I do so fairly frequently.

#111 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

Yeah I dont feel tired all the time but it is easier for me to sleep and stay asleep. Up until about two years ago, if I would stay awake for two days then nothing could stop me from sleeping for 10hrs or atleast 8. Also I was the type of person to wake in the morning switch the alarm off then sleep again. In recent times I would wae straight up and not be able to sleep again even after staying awake for days sometimes I would just sleep 4hrs.
Im not a napper, hard for me to get to sleep usually but I can nap now

It is a good thing for me the ability to sleep

#112 Chrissy1

• 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

So I took another drop of C60 on Tuesday. All went fine until last night (Wednesday) when I started getting some kidney pain on my left side which is unusal for me. It's gone down to a rather small amount currently but it still lingers. SWIM is doing fine and feeling good after her ordeal last week. I think I'm going to call it quits on C60 for now at least my current bottle. Might try a drop from a different bottle as a hair tonic. I got my C60 from Vaughter Wellness. I know Hebbeh has gone through 2 bottles from Vaughter already with no adverse effects while I had problems after 2 drops. Strange.

Strange indeed. I've gone through a couple of bottles of VW C60 OO myself. No major effects noticed. Perhaps a few subtle effects, but could be unrelated or placebo effect. Time may tell. I think I'm lucky to not really know what you mean by "kidney pain." Are you sure that's what it is? Have had kidney problems previously?

I took it for about 3 weeks, felt some pain in the are where my right kidney is, next few days felt pain in my left kidney. Have completely stopped taking it.

#113 Chrissy1

• 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

Andre69, did you have any more details on the the urologist appointment?

#114 Mountainofyouth

• 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

I read Cytotoxic effects of Hydroxylated Fullerenes in three types of liver cells by Shimizu e.a. (july 2013) and Toxity of pristinen versus functionalized fullerenes: mechanisms of cell damage and the role of oxidative stress.

It worries me. Am I overreacting?

#115 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

I read Cytotoxic effects of Hydroxylated Fullerenes in three types of liver cells by Shimizu e.a. (july 2013) and Toxity of pristinen versus functionalized fullerenes: mechanisms of cell damage and the role of oxidative stress.

It worries me. Am I overreacting?

It probably isn't applicable to c60-oo. I couldn't find the paper in pubmed. Do you have a link or a more complete reference?

#116 free10

• 152 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:55 AM

My thoughts. Too many red blood cells can cause dizziness too and could be hormone related. Getting up to pee is common with prostate enlargement and I know DHEA the hormone can aggravate that little problem, in some men. Olive oil is converted into testosterone too normally very efficiently. A juiced onion a day may triple testosterone too.

Most doctors will tell you where pain seems like it is located in the body is not very accurate as to actual location, since most of our pain receptors are on the outside for one thing. Inside we have the spinal cord carrying a vast network of information throughout the body to the brain and back to all the areas and organs, and there is a lot of room for errors. I felt some strange pains in weird areas at first, but they didn't last long and were gone, and my blood work and recent physical after 6 months of taking showed improvements not damage.

Yellow in urine is B2 (riboflavin). If you don't believe it take 25-50mg of B2 and watch your urine turn bright yellow. I actually find it amusing the look on many nurses faces when I give them a urine sample and it is glowing bright yellow LOL If I was mean I would probably tell them it is radioactive, but I am not and just explain it is B2 the vitamin causing the color, so they don't worry or panic and they learn something.

As far as infections flaring up my guess is the immune system is charged up by the mix and it is not the infection getting worse. but maybe in its last death throes. C60 fame is based partially on its antibiotic type properties in water in Russian lore of some of their clay, which I have heard may be as high as 20% C60 from a large meteor impact. C60 even seems to have certain antiviral properties.

The more you actually spend the time reading all literature on the subject the more it almost seems to make people almost bullet proof, to various dangers. I am not sure there is a C60 arrogance, or a C60 awareness that happens to some taking it, or maybe even many taking it. There is absolutely no evidence that C60 in its clean pristine form can harm or damage anything over years worth of studies around the world. You can't say the same for Tylenol or most things, especially approved drugs.

#117 Mountainofyouth

• 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

the retina:

As our previous studies have shown that fullerol also produces superoxide in the presence of light, retinal phototoxic damage may occur through both type I (free radical) and t
Phototoxicity and cytotoxicity of fullerol in human retinal pigment epithelial cells.

Wielgus AR, Zhao B, Chignell CF, Hu DN, Roberts JE.ype II (singlet oxygen) mechanisms. In conclusion, ocular exposure to fullerol, particularly in the presence of sunlight, may lead to retinal damage.

and as metioned:

Arch Toxicol. 2012 Dec;86(12):1809-27. doi: 10.1007/s00204-012-0859-6. Epub 2012 May 5.
Toxicity of pristine versus functionalized fullerenes: mechanisms of cell damage and the role of oxidative stress.

Trpkovic A, Todorovic-Markovic B, Trajkovic V.

Source

Vinca Institute of Nuclear Sciences, University of Belgrade, POB 522, Belgrade, 11000, Serbia. trpkovic_a@vinca.rs

Abstract

The fullerene C(60), due to the physicochemical properties of its spherical cage-like molecule build exclusively from carbon atoms, is able to both scavenge and generate reactive oxygen species. While this unique dual property could be exploited in biomedicine, the low water solubility of C(60) hampers the investigation of its behavior in biological systems. The C(60) can be brought into water by solvent extraction, by complexation with surfactants/polymers, or by long-term stirring, yielding pristine (unmodified) fullerene suspensions. On the other hand, a modification of the C(60) core by the attachment of various functional groups results in the formation of water-soluble fullerene derivatives. Assessment of toxicity associated with C(60) preparations is of pivotal importance for their biomedical application as cytoprotective (antioxidant), cytotoxic (anticancer), or drug delivery agents. Moreover, the widespread industrial utilization of fullerenesmay also have implications for human health. However, the alterations in physicochemical properties imposed by the utilization of different methods for C(60) solubilization profoundly influence toxicological effects of fullerene preparations, thus making the analysis of their potential therapeutic and environmental toxicity difficult. This review provides a comprehensive evaluation of the in vitro and in vivo toxicity of fullerenes, focusing on the comparison between pristine and derivatized C(60) preparations and the mechanisms of their toxicity to mammalian cells and tissues.

Comment in

I need some reassurance that simple OO prevents all this....

#118 free10

• 152 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

the retina:

As our previous studies have shown that fullerol also produces superoxide in the presence of light, retinal phototoxic damage may occur through both type I (free radical) and t
Phototoxicity and cytotoxicity of fullerol in human retinal pigment epithelial cells.

Wielgus AR, Zhao B, Chignell CF, Hu DN, Roberts JE.ype II (singlet oxygen) mechanisms. In conclusion, ocular exposure to fullerol, particularly in the presence of sunlight, may lead to retinal damage.

and as metioned:

Arch Toxicol. 2012 Dec;86(12):1809-27. doi: 10.1007/s00204-012-0859-6. Epub 2012 May 5.
Toxicity of pristine versus functionalized fullerenes: mechanisms of cell damage and the role of oxidative stress.

Trpkovic A, Todorovic-Markovic B, Trajkovic V.

Source

Vinca Institute of Nuclear Sciences, University of Belgrade, POB 522, Belgrade, 11000, Serbia. trpkovic_a@vinca.rs

Abstract

The fullerene C(60), due to the physicochemical properties of its spherical cage-like molecule build exclusively from carbon atoms, is able to both scavenge and generate reactive oxygen species. While this unique dual property could be exploited in biomedicine, the low water solubility of C(60) hampers the investigation of its behavior in biological systems. The C(60) can be brought into water by solvent extraction, by complexation with surfactants/polymers, or by long-term stirring, yielding pristine (unmodified) fullerene suspensions. On the other hand, a modification of the C(60) core by the attachment of various functional groups results in the formation of water-soluble fullerene derivatives. Assessment of toxicity associated with C(60) preparations is of pivotal importance for their biomedical application as cytoprotective (antioxidant), cytotoxic (anticancer), or drug delivery agents. Moreover, the widespread industrial utilization of fullerenesmay also have implications for human health. However, the alterations in physicochemical properties imposed by the utilization of different methods for C(60) solubilization profoundly influence toxicological effects of fullerene preparations, thus making the analysis of their potential therapeutic and environmental toxicity difficult. This review provides a comprehensive evaluation of the in vitro and in vivo toxicity of fullerenes, focusing on the comparison between pristine and derivatized C(60) preparations and the mechanisms of their toxicity to mammalian cells and tissues.

Comment in

I think in the real world tests, with the mice, and now with those who are taking it the answer would seem kind of obvious. The mice are fragile with short lifespans and develop problems fast and easy plus one getting the C60 was injected with a toxin that should have destroyed his organ, yet it didn't. Besides this even not looking at their lifespans it is safe to say when given absolutely huge amounts for their size for a good portion of their normal lives they lived incredibly super healthy lives free of even normal afflictions both mentally and physically. At advanced ages their minds and behaviours were like young mice, and even free of all natural to them tumors at death.

In the humans taking it not one report of any harm even in large amounts over periods of time, and some taking it are quite frail physically and perhaps mentally, as well. Many of us are under medical observation also so we are getting hard numbers as we go and my numbers are improving compared to not taking it.

I didn't just jump into this. I never do, but read all I could find over months from all sources, before ordering the raw ingredients. I found it to be a rational transaction that seem to be paying off in many ways. Of course I do understand the real flip side, and that is if I don't do what I can I will be certainly screwed and die and getting to that point naturally without taking major action is not very pleasant.

Edited by free10, 01 October 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#119 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

OK, here's the first paper regarding the retina:

Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2010 Jan 1;242(1):79-90. doi: 10.1016/j.taap.2009.09.021. Epub 2009 Oct 2.
Wielgus AR, Zhao B, Chignell CF, Hu DN, Roberts JE.

Laboratory of Pharmacology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA.

The water-soluble nanoparticle hydroxylated fullerene [fullerol, nano-C60(OH)(22-26)] has several clinical applications including use as a drug carrier to bypass the blood ocular barriers. We have previously found that fullerol is both cytotoxic and phototoxic to human lens epithelial cells (HLE B-3) and that the endogenous antioxidant lutein blocked some of this phototoxicity. In the present study we have found that fullerol induces cytotoxic and phototoxic damage to human retinal pigment epithelial cells. Accumulation of nano-C60(OH)(22-26) in the cells was confirmed spectrophotometrically at 405 nm, and cell viability, cell metabolism and membrane permeability were estimated using trypan blue, MTS and LDH assays, respectively. Fullerol was cytotoxic toward hRPE cells maintained in the dark at concentrations higher than 10 microM. Exposure to an 8.5 J x cm(-2) dose of visible light in the presence of >5 microM fullerol induced TBARS formation and early apoptosis, indicating phototoxic damage in the form of lipid peroxidation. Pretreatment with 10 and 20 microM lutein offered some protection against fullerol photodamage. Using time resolved photophysical techniques, we have now confirmed that fullerol produces singlet oxygen with a quantum yield of Phi=0.05 in D2O and with a range of 0.002-0.139 in various solvents. As our previous studies have shown that fullerol also produces superoxide in the presence of light, retinal phototoxic damage may occur through both type I (free radical) and type II (singlet oxygen) mechanisms. In conclusion, ocular exposure to fullerol, particularly in the presence of sunlight, may lead to retinal damage.

PMID: 19800903

First, they are talking about fullerol, which is c60 with a large number of hydroxyl groups attached, in this case 22-26 of them. It is a very different molecule than c60-oo. Be that as it may, lets look at the concentrations and photon dose that they used. 5 or 10 micromolar is a very large concentration, compared to what you will get from c60-oo. A milligram equivalent of c60 is (.001g * m/720g) = 1.38 micromoles, which then has to be distributed in the large (multiple liter) volume of the body. The final concentration in the body after distribution and metabolism is probably in the nanomolar range, i.e. a thousand times less than they used in this experiment.

Finally, the photon dose that they used, 8.5J /cm2, is a large amount of light energy. The midday sun provides about 0.1 J/cm2, so this experiment would be something like looking at the sun for 85 seconds.

I hope these things put your mind at ease.
  • like x 4

#120 Mountainofyouth

• 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

Thnaks Free and Niner. I like the effect c60 oo has on me so i am happy to continue. I will buy a good pair of sunglasses though :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)