Mostly organic, vegetarian, low-carb, paleo-ish, superfood, supertreat

basil pesto superfood spinach kohlrabi recipe

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,071 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

As members know and have seen many pictures, I grow a substantially organic garden.

This treat is one of the benefits of all the hard work. Of course, eating organic vegetables, pickles, sauerkraut, salsa, what-not, all winter long, that I grew myself, is a fine reward as well.

This is a basil pesto recipe. The ingredients are Basil, Spinach, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Walnuts, Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Parmesan Cheese. Most pesto recipes would not include spinach because it tones down the flavor, but I put it in to add bulk, plus it is a super food. Most pesto recipes would have pine nuts instead of walnuts, but I am not obscenely wealthy, so I don't buy the outrageously expensive pine nuts. Besides, walnuts are one of the most healthy nuts around.

The spinach and basil come from my garden. The other ingredients are typically purchased, although I have grown garlic in the past and have a source of organic black walnuts where I garden. I also purchased an olive tree but the darn thing is growing so slow, I will probably have to wait decades before I get any olives or oil.

For the parmesan cheese (gasp...OMG...an evil dairy product!!!) you don't have to add if you are lactose intolerant. The pesto will still be quite good without it.

The amounts are approximate, and you can of course experiment to suit your taste.
Spinach (equivalent of what you would buy in a large bag at the grocery store).
Basil, about half of the amount of spinach you put in.
Parmesan anywhere from a half cup to 1 cup (depending if it is ground fine or shredded - you don't want to overdo the cheese)
4 cloves of garlic.
1 teaspoon or so of pepper.
1 teaspoon or so of salt.
A quarter to half cup of walnuts,
About 4 or 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.

All the ingredients go into the blender, slowly. It takes about 5 minutes of blending, maybe a little more, adding leaves of spinach and basil slowly. I suppose if you have a real good blender, it might take a shorter time. I blend all the ingredients together until it is basically a green paste.

Attached Files

• like x 1

#2 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,071 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

Here is where it gets even better. Many people would eat this pesto with crackers, but you can add it to a few other things like noodles.

I like to dish it up on kohlrabi and top it with orange-tropical cherry/grape tomatoes....which of course, I grow myself. I cut the kohlrabi into thin slices, about 5mm thick and then put half of a tomato on top.

Attached Files

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

Thanks Mind. Looking forward to tuna-pesto lettuce wraps!

#4 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,071 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

Let me know how they turn out Zorba. I might have to give it a try too.

#5 DAMI

• 85 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Slightly off-topic, but why are specifically walnuts so healthy? I thought they were high in Omega6...
  • like x 1

#6 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,071 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

Slightly off-topic, but why are specifically walnuts so healthy? I thought they were high in Omega6...

Epidemiological studies show links with heart health. I wouldn't consider the evidence super strong.

One way I am still enjoying this treat is with frozen dried tomato slices. I froze some of the pesto as well. The frozen tomato slices are like "chips" (but they aren't junk food full of grains and n6/n9 oils) and the pesto is like dip. Very good!

#7 DePaw

• 239 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Use a different nut then :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: basil, pesto, superfood, spinach, kohlrabi, recipe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users