NSI-189

nsi-189

• Please log in to reply
6219 replies to this topic

#511 hadora

• Topic Starter
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

So do I buy shares in Neuralstem Inc before or after our little longecity human experiment?

I was wondering the same. Seems like some people already bought shares. Maybe it's wise to wait for the results of this group buy so we have a better idea of the compound's potential. But even if the NSI-189 doesn't satisfy our expectations, Neuralstem has other things in its pipeline which could boost the stock price enormously should they ever make it to the market.

Mmm... it will be years before NSI-189 - let alone its other compounds - will even make it to the market, so it will take a while to see returns; that is assuming they will pass the FDA and all other regulatory bodies.

I'm curious about the competition Neuralstem Inc will face if (best case scenario here) their compound really can possibly cure clinical depression as they claim. I mean, the other companies providing antidepressants (Lilly, Pfizer, Wyeth, etc) that make billions of revenue from their products annually sure aren't going to like the idea of a drug that renders theirs' completely useless... I'm positive that they will 'persuade' Neuralstem to stay out of the market.

For pharmaceutical companies, never-ending treatment is FAR better than a cure. I'm sure they'd like to keep it that way.

Jesus.. people need to stop with their conspiracy therories ! srs
This compound is gonna pass the FDA hand down because don't forget this: this compound have NO sides effects so even if the benefice is modest it gonna pass anyway because it offer a safe alternative to traditional antidepressants
The antidepressant market is worth billions every year, do you really think they can "persuade" them to not launch their compounds ? what they are gonna do ? give them a few bucks to not enter in a multi Billions dollars market ? lol
anyway they are going to associate themselves with a bigger pharma company, most small companies do this to launch their drugs.

Neuralstem are serious guys they are sponsored by the DARPA and they are the only one who have access to UNLIMITED stem cells and this give them big advantage over competition and they are not only developping NSI-189, they have NSI-566 too and they are undergoing multiple clinical trial to treat a shit load of disease with stem cell
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 2

#512 focus83

• 216 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Mmm... it will be years before NSI-189 - let alone its other compounds - will even make it to the market, so it will take a while to see returns; that is assuming they will pass the FDA and all other regulatory bodies.

I'm curious about the competition Neuralstem Inc will face if (best case scenario here) their compound really can possibly cure clinical depression as they claim. I mean, the other companies providing antidepressants (Lilly, Pfizer, Wyeth, etc) that make billions of revenue from their products annually sure aren't going to like the idea of a drug that renders theirs' completely useless... I'm positive that they will 'persuade' Neuralstem to stay out of the market.

For pharmaceutical companies, never-ending treatment is FAR better than a cure. I'm sure they'd like to keep it that way.

Of course it will be years before we will see any returns and there are many big "If's" along the road. It's a gamble, albeit a reasoned one, and thus it's prudent to only invest money you can really spare for a couple of years. I for my part will buy shares if the results of this group buy are promising. Not much, maybe 1 or 2k.

I don't think pharma companies can easily "persuade" a company with a mircal cure against depression to stay out of the market. Maybe they will try to buy up Neuralstem, but that shouldn't nullify your investment.
Also noone knows if regrowth gained with NSI-189 will really be persistent or if the drugs needs to be redosed similar to other psychotropic drugs, although probably in larger intervals. No doubt, "big pharma" is a powerful force, but even they can't prevent the inevitable from happen, which is that hopefully soon the times of Prozac and Zoloft are over. They will find new drugs to make money with.

All in all, Neuralstem appears to be a very promising company, not only from a patient's perspective but also from an investor's one. They also received considerable funds by the DARPA and NHI which reinforces my opinion that Neuralstem might have a bright future. Even if they won't, my investment won't bankrupt me.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#513 Googoltarian

• 113 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'm positive that they will 'persuade' Neuralstem to stay out of the market. For pharmaceutical companies, never-ending treatment is FAR better than a cure. I'm sure they'd like to keep it that way.

That's true, even more likely is situation where one of big pharma corporations just buys this small company and then disassemble it.

Anyway, we live in very exciting times where we could see evolution of medicine introduction methods in masses by teams of experimenters. Such changes are more apparent in case of terminally ill people, as there are many publicised stories of "brewing own experimental medicine".
  • like x 2

#514 Werper

• 190 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

I have often thought that there should be a forum on longecity devoted to investing in biotechs. The collective knowledge of this board is fairly extensive and could be helpful in the biotech investing world! I myself am fairly clueless when is it comes to science compared to most here, however I have been investing in small cap biotechs for over a decade. Right now I am invested in AGEN, and believe that this year could prove to be a blockbuster year for it. Within the coming weeks, I would be looking to get in if I was new looking to invest in it. Here is a recent article ( The meat of Agen is not in their glioma heat shock vaccine, but rather their qs 21 adjuvant and the herpes vaccine.)

Agenus: Near-Term Drivers With A Market Opportunity Over $17 Billion

Apr 29 2013, 08:15 | 8 comments | about: AGEN, includes: ACAD, CLDX, GSK, THLD

Disclosure: I am long AGEN. (More...)
Today, we will take a detailed look into a company that has an imminent catalyst, a number of important Phase II and Phase III data releases throughout 2013, and a product pipeline with potential to tap into a $17B market.
Agenus (AGEN) is a promising biotech company with two exciting platforms that focus on developing breakthrough immunotherapies for cancer and infectious diseases. Using their innovative Heat Shock Protein (HSP) and Saponin platforms, Agenus has developed a potentially lucrative pipeline of groundbreaking technologies and product candidates. Its products under development include QS-21 Stimulon adjuvant, which is in Phase III clinical trials for the treatment of malaria, melanoma, non-small cell lung cancer, and shingles, as well as for the treatment of various infectious diseases, multiple cancer types, and Alzheimer’s disease; and HerpV, a therapeutic vaccine candidate that is in Phase II clinical trial for the treatment of genital herpes.
Agenus' developmental pipeline focuses on therapies for some of the world's most disconcerting diseases. Their QS-21 Stimulon Adjuvant aims to strengthen the body's immune response to a vaccine's antigen and is being tested on Malaria, Melanoma, Shingles, Alzheimer's Disease, Genital Herpes, and Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Additionally, their Prophage series provides therapies for Renal Cell Carcinoma, newly diagnosed Glioma, and also recurrent Glioma. Aligned with powerful partners like GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and Janssen, Agenus is currently under speculated and I believe investors have yet to valuate the potential of their pipeline.
Agenus' Platform and Pipeline:
  • HSP Platform
Heat shock proteins are a type of protein with the purpose of regulating the timing and conformation (shape) of cells throughout the body. They are "chaperones" for cells in the sense that they bind to the peptides in a cell and form a complex, so that our immune system can recognize diseased cells. When a diseased cell is no longer able to function and dies, heat shock proteins are released from the cell and our body uses as a signal to generate an immune response. To put it simply, Agenus takes advantage of this natural immune response by utilizing heat shock proteins as vaccines against cancers and infectious disease.
Agenus uses its heat shock protein platform for its Prophage Series of vaccines, which include Oncophage for Renal Cell Carminoma, G-100 for newly diagnosed Glioma, and G-200 for recurrent Glioma.
  • Saponin Platform
The Saponin Platform consists of the QS-21 adjuvant, which is designed to strengthen the body's immune response to a vaccine's antigen, thus making it more effective. Saponin is actually extracted from the bark of the Quillaja saponaria tree and testing so far has shown that QS-21 is a safe adjuvant for a number of vaccine antigens.
According to the company's website, when QS-21 is incorporated into vaccines it has been shown to:

• Demonstrate efficacy via parenteral or mucosal administration routes
  • Potentiate both prophylactic and therapeutic vaccines
  • Potentiate immune responses to viral, bacterial and parasitic antigens, including recombinant proteins, polysaccharide antigens, DNA vectors, conjugated antigens, multivalent vaccine formulations and notoriously weak antigens
  • Exhibit a favorable safety profile
  • Integrate easily with most excipients and formulations
  • Synergize with other adjuvants as well as approaches using carrier proteins

From above, it is evident why a powerful pharmaceutical company such as GlaxoSmithKline is partnered with Agenus. QS-21 Stimulon Adjuvant can certainly help build market share for Glaxo's current drugs by increasing the efficacy of each. Thus, it is reasonable to speculate that other large pharmas could come knocking on the Agenus' door with partnering interest. Agenus already states that it has 10 other indications possible for this platform, so maybe they have been working on that already.
Some highlights from Agenus' QS-21 adjuvant include successful Phase III RTS, S: Malaria, Phase III MAGE A3: Stage IIIB/IIIC Melanoma, Phase III MAGE A3: Stage IB-111A NSCLC, and Phase III Herpes Zoster: Shingles. All of those indications are partnered with GSK. Additionally, AGEN is partnered with Janssen for Phase II ACC-001: Alzheimer's Disease.
Posted Image
Together, the global market opportunity is over $17 billion for these products. The partnered products have the potential to bring Agenus over $100M a year royalties. The final 3 products on the chart are un partnered. If Agenus management executes its long term goals correctly, these 3 products can potentially bring the company over $1B in revenues. With a current market cap under $120 million, AGEN seems to be undervalued.
From the company's earnings call on April 24, Garo Armen, Chairman and CEO of Agenus, remarked:

It is (QS-21) currently being studied in 17 clinical programs in development. Let me now switch gears and discuss the status of our internal development programs. As I mentioned earlier, our HerpV randomized double blind, multi-cancer Phase 2 trial in individuals infected with HerpV 2 is fully screened for enrolment. This puts us on track to report initial results during the fourth quarter of this year. I would like to note that HerpV is the most advanced therapeutic vaccine in clinical development today. This study is evaluating the efficacy of HerpV vaccine by measuring viral shedding before and after vaccination. In the study 65 participants will receive HerpV which contains QS-21 and a control group of 10 participants who will receive placebo. A booster injection will be given at six months after the initial treatment to evaluate both the potential of delayed effect as well as the durability of treatment effect. Key opinion leaders in the field have helped design the HerpV Phase II study and HSV-2 experts believe that a reduction in viral shedding, the driving force behind the spread of genital herpes is a key surrogate which could be predictive of clinical benefit defined by reduction of disease outbreaks. Among the unique attributes of HerpV is the fact that it contains 32 HSV-2 derived immunogenic antigens and was designed with the intent of treating a broad population of HSV-2 infected individuals. We believe that if HerpV is ultimately shown to be a safe and effective product in late stage trials, it would represent a breakthrough in the treatment of herpes.

• dislike x 4

#515 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

As long as the clinical trials show the same promising results without adverse effects you can expect the stock to rise.

Was speaking about NYSE CUR

#516 cATsE

• 56 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

I hope this works and that you guys are going to do a 2nd group buy soon. :)

#517 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

I think if a second group buy happens within the next 3 months, it wont be from us. We'll be too busy testing to see whether it actually works, which could take up to a year.

#518 Kyle McGill

• 57 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

That's a little bit presumptuous no? What's the prevent another group of people from doing a second group buy?

#519 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:08 AM

That's a little bit presumptuous no? What's the prevent another group of people from doing a second group buy?

Well, I am thinking that cognitive benefits will only arrise from an increase in brain matter which would be very subtle and difficult to detect. I guess results would be determined much sooner than I previously thought, but I think it will take a while and I don't know why the same individuals would set up another group buy before then.

Edit: Reread your post and realize your talking about any group buy. Of course, anyone can start their own group buy at any time. I was arguing that I don't believe it would be from the same people involved in this recent one.

Edited by sparkk51, 06 May 2013 - 02:26 AM.

#520 Xenix

• 212 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:50 AM

Science guy - I don't know if this has already been covered, but you should ask [the Custom Synthesis Laboratory] if they can aliquot your order into 40 vials; this will save you having to weigh and divide the order yourself. I think it's really cheap, like $1-3 per aliquot (sometimes free). This is what I chose to do when I ordered peptides - my manufacturer provided this service for free.

Edited by niner, 06 May 2013 - 09:14 PM.

• like x 2

#521 ScienceGuy

• Life Member
  • 851 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:19 AM

IMPORTANT NOTE: I have received a request from the respective Custom Synthesis Laboratory for everyone on LONGECITY to please kindly refrain from naming their company by name within this thread; they feel it might place them at some risk of the PATENT HOLDER taking some sort of action against them (even though they have admitted this is unlikely and technically since the synthesis is for RESEARCH PURPOSES). I have EDITED all my previous posts to REMOVE any such mention and will not be mentioning them again. ;)

Science guy - I don't know if this has already been covered, but you should ask [the Custom Synthesis Laboratory] if they can aliquot your order into 40 vials; this will save you having to weigh and divide the order yourself. I think it's really cheap, like $1-3 per aliquot (sometimes free). This is what I chose to do when I ordered peptides - my manufacturer provided this service for free.

Thank you for the suggestion... anything that assists saving me using up valuable FREE TIME is welcomed, but in this particular case I would be worried about how 41 VIALS in one package might appear to UK CUSTOMS when it is dispatched to me ;)

Not a problem, since I have a very good set of scales and can accurately measure out the 2.5 GRAM quantities very quickly :)

#522 Renegade

• 182 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

For all those that emailed me concerning available places left, i'm sorting out how many places i have left. I have to consolidate paypal and payitsquare... I should be able to tell you during the weekend.

Thanks. Look forward to hearing from you.

#523 Gannons

• 18 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Is anyone looking for someone to split their order with, because I would definitely be interested.

#524 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

Is anyone looking for someone to split their order with, because I would definitely be interested.

I wouldn't count on it... each of us will get just enough to take the middle range of the doses used in the studies, which was twice a day for 28 days.

#525 ranza

• 50 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

If there are still some places left I'm willing to participate in the group buy.
Here's an interesting pdf that I've found http://www.thelifesc...corppres413.pdf

#526 paul

• 81 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

Uk customs delayed my sunifiram for 10 days despite spending a fortune on ems delivery and them charged me as much as i paid for it, so I agree with scienceguy no separate vials, I would even be willing to drive and pick my dose up if it is safer and easier for you, look forward to this one, will save save me a fortune as will stop cerebrolysin when this arrives.

#527 cougar

• 114 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:27 AM

For all those that emailed me concerning available places left, i'm sorting out how many places i have left. I have to consolidate paypal and payitsquare... I should be able to tell you during the weekend.

I had sent you a PM on May 2 requesting to be added to group buy. Almost a week has passed but I had never received any reply. The status of my message still shows "Not Read Yet".
  • dislike x 6
  • like x 1

#528 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

I had sent you a PM on May 2 requesting to be added to group buy. Almost a week has passed but I had never received any reply. The status of my message still shows "Not Read Yet".

I don't think he should be obligated to reply to every request for a spot. He's already doing so much for us.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#529 cougar

• 114 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:53 AM

I don't think he should be obligated to reply to every request for a spot. He's already doing so much for us.

I never said he had the obligation to reply me, but if you are expecting something and watching your inbox everyday you would get a bit disappointed. I'm sure he had done a lot for you guys but not for me (yet) :). Also, I was not offending anyone, you really don't have to down vote my post.

Edited by cougar, 09 May 2013 - 03:55 AM.

• dislike x 8
  • like x 2

#530 Xenix

• 212 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

I wonder if one were to combine NSI-189 with an antidepressant (like Prozac) that may also increase neurogenesis - would the overall affect on neurogenesis/hippocampal size be potentiated? I guess time will tell.

#531 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

I wonder if one were to combine NSI-189 with an antidepressant (like Prozac) that may also increase neurogenesis - would the overall affect on neurogenesis/hippocampal size be potentiated? I guess time will tell.

I will probably take NSI-189 with my antidepressant, Effexor. I believe I can recall the first trial, that was introduced at the beginning of this thread, stated that patients could continue taking antidepressants. I will have to recheck that, but even if I can't find it, I will not cease taking Effexor during my trial run.

Edit:

Alright, so it says "Both patients who are being treated with antidepressants and patients who are not on antidepressants but had a history of taking antidepressants are permitted in the study." Apparently, they did not directly state that patients would be able to continue use, but it's possible seeing as how patients who were currently taking antidepressants were permitted. Again, either way, I'll continue use. ;)

Edited by sparkk51, 09 May 2013 - 06:23 PM.

• dislike x 1

#532 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

So, the stock exchange will close in 5 minutes and it looks like CUR (Neuralstem, Inc) is going to close at a new high of 1.31. Last two days the stock has picked up a lot of momentum.

#533 sunshinefrost

• 455 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

i'm currently waiting for 2 lucky "scientists" that manifested interest to test this compound. If i don't receive feedback within 2 days i'll skip to the next in line.

#534 Rior

• 279 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Neuralstem is going to skyrocket. I have little doubt about that unless something goes horribly wrong in the FDA testing. Pretty exciting!

#535 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

i'm currently waiting for 2 lucky "scientists" that manifested interest to test this compound. If i don't receive feedback within 2 days i'll skip to the next in line.

Can you explain?

#536 sunshinefrost

• 455 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

2 spots left

#537 SUB-Rx

• 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:13 AM

The recent increase in their stock may be due to this:
http://investor.neur...7037&highlight=
  • like x 1

#538 blackfishy

• 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:58 AM

Sunshinefrost if I could have one of those remaining spots please.

#539 Fernando Laniado

• 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

I want one of these spots left

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#540 sunshinefrost

• 455 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

In My previous message i meant to inform you that i was already in contact with 2 people waiting to be in the group. Sorry guys, the group is already closed :sleep:.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nsi-189

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users