• like x 1

#32 hadora

• Topic Starter
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

Bump !
A very interesting reading :)

How Neuralstem Discovered This New Neurogenic Drug
About 10 years ago, the Army gave Neuralstem $2.5 million to develop a drug that would prevent hippocampal shrinkage and improve cognitive ability in soldiers who were experiencing severe stress due to extreme battle conditions. It turns out that when soldiers are stressed, particularly due to lack of sleep, they experience hippocampal atrophy (their hippocampus shrinks). The Army wanted a way to deal with this condition because the soldiers did not perform well when afflicted with hippocampal atrophy.

Neuralstem was hired because it was the only company that had proven it was able to grow hippocampal stem cells. In order to develop and test this new neurogenic drug for the Army, an unlimited supply of hippocampal stem cells were needed.

Neuralstem began the development process by testing 700,000 different drug compounds via computer models. From there, Neuralstem scientists selected the best 10,000 compounds and began testing them in the laboratory. Each compound was tested with different dosages, so this was quite a lengthy process. It was all possible because Neuralstem had access to an unlimited number of hippocampal stem cells.

Finally, Neuralstem narrowed the field down to one very potent neurogenic drug. This particular drug achieved what Neuralstem scientists were aiming for, hippocampal growth.

About the same time, the medical community started to become aware of the fact that the hippocampus was shrinking in depressed patients. Scientists began to think that perhaps the reason Prozac and other antidepressant drugs really work is because they are actually regenerating cells in the hippocampus. Animal studies were conducted and this was determined to be the case. MRI scans showed that antidepressant drugs increased hippocampal volume on a percentage basis, low to mid-single digits.

So everybody in Big Pharma started chasing neurogenic drugs as a means of beating depression and other cognitive diseases. Of course Neuralstem had a tremendous advantage here, because it was the only company that had access to an unlimited supply of hippocampal stem cells.

Neuralstem wanted to test its new drug for depression, so the company obtained about $500,000 from NIH, which it invested in animal studies to see the effect of its neurogenic drug on depression and hippocampal volume.

The company discovered that its drug was as good if not better than allthe antidepressive drugs on the market. The commercial antidepressants were showing hippocampal volume increases of about 5% or below, whereas Neuralstem's new drug was able to increase hippocampal volume up to 20%. By most other measures, Neuralstem's drugexcelled in decreasing depression symptoms.

Neuralstem was encouraged by these results so it decided to do a human study. This was the first human study with this class of drugs, so the FDA needed a strong safety trial first. Neuralstem conducted a placebo-controlled Phase Ia trial with 41 healthy volunteers to prove to the FDA that its small molecule drug was safe.

After that trial, the data was so good in terms of safety that the FDA gave Neuralstem the go-ahead for a Phase Ib trial so it could start dosing actual major-depressive disorder patients.

No Side Effects

Perhaps the most important information that came from that Phase Ia trial was the fact that there were absolutely no side effects. For example, one of the most popular antidepressants, Prozac lists common side effects which include nausea, insomnia, sexual dysfunction, and anxiety. Some of these side effects are worse than the actual depression, so many patients just quit using the drugs.

The company should soon be finished dosing the first cohort of major depressive disorder patients in the Phase Ib trial. These patients took the pill once a day for 28 days in a randomized placebo-controlled trial. The second and third cohorts will take the pill twice a day and three times a day respectively.

In addition to measuring all the kinds of things you measure for depression, Neuralstem is also taking MRI scans to see if it can detect an increase in hippocampal volume. All of these patients will receive MRI scans before, during, and after the trial. Even though this is primarily a safety trial, given the new nature of the drug, Neuralstem will be looking for increases in hippocampal volume as well as improvement in depression measurements.

This human trial will be finished in December 2012, and we will see results soon thereafter. Positive results could have a major effect on the share price.

Neuralstem's goal is to partner with one or more major pharmaceutical companies that will not only address the depression market, but will also address all the other neurogenic drug markets where hippocampal atrophy is an issue, including Alzheimer's, stroke, traumatic brain injury, antiaging, and post traumatic stress.

Neuralstem's New Drug Could Treat Alzheimer's
I believe the next major indication for Neuralstem's neurogenic drug will be Alzheimer's. Preliminary studies have indicated that cognitive diseases like Alzheimer's and dementia are directly linked to hippocampal atrophy. Remember, Neuralstem developed this product for the Army to prevent hippocampal shrinkage and to improve cognitive ability. We know that, at least in animal studies, that Neuralstem's drug increases hippocampal volume by up to 20%. Such a large increase in hippocampal volume implies considerable cognitive improvement. If a drug was able to increase cognitive ability in Alzheimer's and dementia patients, that would be a tremendous medical breakthrough.

http://seekingalpha...._readmore&ifp=0

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 golden1

• 681 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

I wish I could just buy this(easier than finding some lab willing to make it prob in china). looks awesome.

#34 hadora

• Topic Starter
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

I wish I could just buy this(easier than finding some lab willing to make it prob in china). looks awesome.

Maybe if the result of the phase IB are good " someone who isn't me" will custom synth it :-D

#35 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:39 AM

Maybe if the result of the phase IB are good " someone who isn't me" will custom synth it :-D

You mean that guy, SWIM?

#36 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

Does anyone know how long phase 1 is expected to take?

#37 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

wow, a 20 increase! underground labs, where are you?

#38 hadora

• Topic Starter
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

a little bump

NSI 189 is now in phase IB trial and in preclinical trial for nootropic purpose

#39 zeroskater6979

• 116 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Is there a possibility for cancer growth?

#40 Isochroma

• 791 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:33 AM

Excellent thread!

I am now subscribed.

And I am now monitoring for commercial suppliers of NSI-189 to add to the Racetam Prices list [Mirrors: Jabry | Royal Web Hosting].

If anyone here is interested in Coluracetam, the Racetam Prices list now has thirteen commerical suppliers with the cheapest selling 1g for only $432.09 USD including EMS fee.

Edited by Isochroma-Reborn, 07 January 2013 - 04:38 AM.

#41 Xenix

• 212 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

Bump

#42 hadora

• Topic Starter
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

Bump

the Phase Ib trial will end on July 2013 so we have to wait a few months before we can see the results

I Don't know but i think it's highly unlikely

Excellent thread!

I am now subscribed.

And I am now monitoring for commercial suppliers of NSI-189 to add to the Racetam Prices list [Mirrors: Jabry | Royal Web Hosting].

If anyone here is interested in Coluracetam, the Racetam Prices list now has thirteen commerical suppliers with the cheapest selling 1g for only $432.09 USD including EMS fee.

i don't think there will be any commercial supplier of NSI 189 because this compound is unknown to the public

Does anyone know how long phase 1 is expected to take?

it will end in June or July 2013

wow, a 20 increase! underground labs, where are you?

This is what i thought to myself the first time lol

Edited by hadora, 24 February 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#43 ScienceGuy

• Life Member
  • 851 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

I Don't know but i think it's highly unlikely

I have to agree with Hadora... the fact that this chemical has progressed to the stage of multi-phase HUMAN clinical trials is indicative in itself that it has already passed the obligatory TOXICITY / SAFETY trials conducted on ANIMALS which would include screening for CARCINOGENICITY; and hence it is indeed highly unlikely ;)

#44 golden1

• 681 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

Half of the molucule is almost sunifiram, wonder if they worked they're way to that from sunifiram or its just a coincidence..

#45 sunshinefrost

• 455 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

wow, this forum keeps getting better and better.... Cerebrolysin, PLR 8-147, Dihexa, now NSi-189 (or 158 ?) ..... imagine what will come out in 10 years ?? NZT ?
  • like x 2

#46 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

wow, this forum keeps getting better and better.... Cerebrolysin, PLR 8-147, Dihexa, now NSi-189 (or 158 ?) ..... imagine what will come out in 10 years ?? NZT ?

you forgot idra-21. after prl 8-53, we must organise many more group buys, because i agree with isochroma. war and destruction are coming.

#47 Rior

• 279 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

Totally down for a group buy of NSI-189.

TOTALLY down.

#48 peakplasma

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

It would be nice if we could get a more organized method for group buys à la kickstarter... or perhaps if we could get a sponsoring organization? *hint*

Since they are apparently non-toxic, I don't think there is too much risk and it definitely shows promise!

Just consider the recent success with noopept, coluracetam and sunifiram.

Edited by peakplasma, 10 April 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#49 sunshinefrost

• 455 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

Isochroma, i thought we sorted this out. End of the world bs subject is over since dec 21st 2013 ;)

I didnt read much on idra-21 but i'm definitly in for the group buy. I would test this one before dihexa.

Edited by sunshinefrost, 10 April 2013 - 09:53 PM.

#50 zeroskater6979

• 116 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

NSI-189 has already passed safety trials in healthy volunteers so I would definitely be interested in a group buy for that one.

Edited by zeroskater6979, 10 April 2013 - 10:15 PM.

#51 spookytooth

• 211 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

I'm also interested in a group buy.

#52 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Ditto on the group buy!

How would a kickstarter work for this?

This looks very promising for depression or those who have been chronically depressed, as the hippocampal atrophy it induces is slow to remiss and makes depression more likely in the future. This, coupled with memory training could be golden ticket!

These are exciting times guys! More and more potentially ground-breaking substances emerge as popularity for nootropics snowballs... Maybe our enthusiasm and diligent research over here at longecity even had a hand in this acceleration.. I like to think so :)

#53 hadora

• Topic Starter
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

good to see there is people interested in this compound !

#54 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:53 PM

Interested in this. I can wait with IDRA-21 after I tryout PRL-8-53. What are the doses for this and some quotes for 10g or 100g?

#55 sunshinefrost

• 455 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

I sent an email yesterday for a quote on 30g... No reply yet. Any idea how long they take to reply ?

#56 hadora

• Topic Starter
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

Interested in this. I can wait with IDRA-21 after I tryout PRL-8-53. What are the doses for this and some quotes for 10g or 100g?

In the clinical trial they are using doses from 40 to 120 mg/ day

I sent an email yesterday for a quote on 30g... No reply yet. Any idea how long they take to reply ?

what did you sent them ? the molecular structure ?

#57 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

good to see there is people interested in this compound !

of course hadora, a 20 % increase (at least) of the hippocampus and the effects are permanent! who wouldn't want that!

#58 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

120 mg * 28 (days) =3360/1000 = 3,360 grams 100 grams /3,360 grams= we need 29,76 persons for group buy.

#59 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:44 AM

120 mg * 28 (days) =3360/1000 = 3,360 grams 100 grams /3,360 grams= we need 29,76 persons for group buy.

Hmm, this could be expensive. Will look around for quotes. Since I have a list ready from searching for a supplier for PRL-8-53

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:56 AM

These guys look legit. We were going to go with them with the PRL-8-53 synth; but, went with Novochemy. For this group buy to be feasible you'd likely have to go with a supplier that wont charge that much.

sun-shinechem.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nsi-189

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users