• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Truth.

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31 Mark Hamalainen

• 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2005 - 03:59 AM

"Of course our actions are based on knowledge, but what makes you think absolute knowledge will demonstrate that there is only one sequence of actions we should take? If I have absolute knowledge of how paints work, does that mean that there is only one ideal painting and that I should paint it?"

Hum. You're assuming that having this knowledge would restrict one to only the best action possible?

No, I'm not assuming that, that's the point. I'm asking if you believe that absolute knowledge would be restricting, you've implied that you believe such:

finding this "absolute truth" so one can live a logical life

without the "absolute truth" we'd be guessing everything

--"what would be the point of living without choices?"

Can you honistly say the choices available to you are satisfactory?

When you answered my question with another question, I assumed that you believed absolute truth meant restriction of one to only the best course of action. If I'm wrong, please elaborate.

"Ok, so because you're not satisfied with the choices you have, you believe that choice should be discarded? Even so, that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with whether choice or absolute truth exist or not."

Yes. No it doesn't.

Here you confirm your belief that choice should be discarded, by that do you not mean there is only one ideal course of action that we should take in order to comply with absolute truth? If not, please elaborate on what you think the function of absolute truth, if it exists, is.

#32 jaguar

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 05:38 AM

"I'm asking if you believe that absolute knowledge would be restricting"

I need to understand your definition of "restricting" first.

"I assumed that you believed absolute truth meant restriction of one to only the best course of action"

No.

"Here you confirm your belief that choice should be discarded, by that do you not mean there is only one ideal course of action that we should take in order to comply with absolute truth? If not, please elaborate on what you think the function of absolute truth, if it exists, is."

I'm saying that I choose to pursue this and nothing else. Not that choice should be discarded.

Edited by jaguar, 06 April 2005 - 06:10 AM.

#33 Mark Hamalainen

• 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2005 - 03:22 PM

If not, please elaborate on what you think the function of absolute truth, if it exists, is.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2005 - 03:33 PM

Life -and truth- are both entirely about the journey, not the destination.

#35 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 06 April 2005 - 03:50 PM

Jaguar I made my first post on the issue of definition because we tend to treat knowledge in two distinctly different ways based on whether we are trying to CAPITALIZE it.

Virtually all talk of *absolutes* inevitably invokes a mystical appeal of the supernatural whether through hard determinism or theology. The argument that there can be only one correct (or best) solution to any problem for example is one of the common misconceptions that simple perspectives of absolute truth tend to lead to.

Conversely I agree with the argument that many alternatives *always* exist and the likely *absolute truth* is there is no one best solution but that *best* is a relative rather than a truly *superlative* term.

However I digress, though it is relevant and I will return to the point because I suspect the problem isn't really that absolute truth does or doesn't exist; it is that there is absolutely no *absolute* referent point from which to perceive it. IOW's even if absolute truth exists, all we possess are relativist perspectives of it.

This problem also derives from the confusion of the *desire* or *need* for absolutes that *subjectively corrupts* the objectivity of analysis for *definition* and introduces at least some portion of the relativism of perspective.

We can start with a look at general grammar to develop one solid indication of the perspective of our psychological dependence for *certainty*. This cognitive aspect determines our degree of *confidence,* which is the measure of trust or faith that many experience or seek. However this is not *true* knowledge absolute or otherwise, though as a product of empirical presumption it is practical and I suspect derived from the pragmatic necessity to be decisive in the struggle for survival evolutionarily.

Belief in the causal repetition of phenomenon is not knowledge, it might better be understood as pattern recognition but it leads to knowledge when the observation induces a person to analyze as accurately as possible the deterministic factors. To explain about the cited reference the conundrum of the Soul versus Mind is actually dependent on a parallel aspect of cognition.

In the aforementioned discussion Dawkins goes to great length to elaborate on two principle conditions of the Soul, which he identifies as *Soul 1* and *Soul 2* and basically Soul 1 is what we would be better to describe as Mind and Soul 2 is an appeal to some abstract *absolute* referent point for the discernment of *Truth*. The problem is that Soul 2 is essentially a Supernatural Reference Point so as to overcome the Objective problem of being *subject* to materialism.

In other words in order to try and pragmatically perceive *absolute truth* (aside from the omniscience dilemma which I don’t think is required anymore than single solutions) one must overcome subjectivity and since this introduces the conflicts of causality and Heisenbergian Uncertainty (or Chaos and Order) one almost instinctive invention of the mind may be to try and go *outside* the Universe to gain an objective perspective.

It is then no small irony that this may actually be an essential aspect of cognition and reflected in the duality of belief and knowledge that also is reflected in the upper and lower case usage of how we define *truth* and may actually be encrypted into the genetics of brain design and cognitive function.

I will let this suffice for now as it is a big bite to swallow but here are two quotes from the article:

Is science killing the soul? This is a cunning title, because it cunningly mixes two different meanings of soul. The first and oldest meaning of soul, which I'm going to call Soul One, takes off from one set of definitions. I'm going to quote several related definitions from the Oxford dictionary:

"The principle of life in man or animals -- animate existence."

"The principle of thought and action in man commonly regarded as an entity distinct from the body, the spiritual part of man in contrast to the purely physical."

"The spiritual part of man regarded as surviving after death, and as susceptible of happiness or misery in a future state."

"The disembodied spirit of a deceased person regarded as a separate entity and as invested with some amount of form and personality."

So Soul One refers to a particular theory of life. It's the theory that there is something non-material about life, some non-physical vital principle. It's the theory according to which a body has to be animated by some anima. Vitalized by a vital force. Energized by some mysterious energy. Spiritualized by some mysterious spirit. Made conscious by some mysterious thing or substance called consciousness. You'll notice that all those definitions of Soul One are circular and non-productive. It's no accident.

Julian Huxley once satirically likened vitalism to the theory that a railway engine works by "force-locomotif." I don't always agree with Julian Huxley, but here he hit the nail beautifully. In the sense of Soul One, science has either killed the soul or is in the process of doing so.

But there is a second sense of soul, Soul Two, which takes off from another one of the Oxford dictionary's definitions:

"Intellectual or spiritual power. High development of the mental faculties. Also, in somewhat weakened sense, deep feeling, sensitivity."

In this sense, our question tonight means, Is science killing soulfulness? Is it killing esthetic sensitivity, artistic sensibility, creativity? The answer to this question, Is science killing Soul Two?, is a resounding No.

The very opposite is the case. But it is a question worth pursuing, because there have been many people, from genuinely great poets all the way down to Brian Appleyard and Fay Weldon, who've given a strong Yes answer to the question, Is science killing the soul? It's Soul Two that Keats and Lamb meant when they thought that Newton had destroyed all the poetry of the rainbow when he unwove it.

So when discussing the Mind and Soul, like your search for absolute truth you will find a kind of dual meaning (upper and lower case) that is no accident because it overlaps in a kind of pernicious and all pervasive, if not ubiquitous duality for meaning that can almost always be demonstrated in this upper and lower case manner. But it is also completely interwoven in the elemental aspects of the debate over the existence of *souls* *God* the *Universe* and virtually all *absolutes* by definition.

If Soul 1 as Dawkins calls it is essentially the mind by a different name then it is no mere coincidence that the mind invents Soul 2 so as to better gain an objective reference point in order to perceive what it desires to qualify as *objective* or *absolute* truth.

The rational mind may need such validation for a kind psychological *triangulation* of the aspects for *self definition* and regardless of whether it exists I suspect we would seek to invent the idea of absolute truth. However this may also be why unraveling the meme of religion is so vital to understanding evolutionary psychology and why religion can go from being a kind of *prosthetic conceptual device* promoting cognitive development to a crutch impeding it, as many become dependent on *fundamental* models that have not adapted to integrate an expanding database of knowledge and ideas.

Sorry about the lengthy response but this overlaps a paper I am writing and I decided to present the thoughts in whole cloth rather than snippets.

Edited by Lazarus Long, 07 April 2005 - 04:36 AM.

#36 1arcturus

• 41 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:46 PM

Lazarus Long -

Soul 1 and Soul 2 are switched around there, right?

Donna Haraway has written some interesting stuff on viewpoints. The "absolute" viewpoint implies an "absolute" observer, which is a holdover from medieval theology, because it is God's viewpoint (the ultimate bird's-eye-view-of-everything).

What we know of now are only various viewpoints of various entities-with-eyeballs, and their viewpoints are relative to their embodiments.

Perhaps it is possible that a future entity could get around Heisenberg Uncertainty and probability and calculation-delay problems and recursive self-knowledge issues to become an entity whose "mind" perfectly models all things.
It seems as though that is where science is headed sometimes, with talk of the 'theory of everything' and so on. But we are obviously so far from it, it seems more reasonable to see science as merely progressive - uncovering one thing at a time, perhaps without end.

1Arcturus

#37 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2005 - 05:38 PM

Possessing the inquisitive mind. Searching for Truth while realizing that you may never find it.

This is why I say that Truth is about the journey and not the destination. If one were to make Truth all about the destination, then one would either be deluding himself into a state of unjustified self confidence, or he would be frustrated to the point of despair.

Laz

IOW's even if absolute truth exists, all we possess are relativist perspectives of it.

And that's the bottom line isn't it? I've met very intelligent people, some of whom believe in an absolute Truth (or a *universal ethics*...is it fair to juxtapose these?) and some who believe that all Truth is relative. With either of these positions one can never know for certain, but is it not the very definition of the scientific mind to operate by hypothesis?

This is why in some ways I favor Peter's conclusions, while at the same time recognizing their tenative nature. If one were to buy completely into the *higher order complexity* argument then he would be, in effect, committing the naturalistic fallacy.

But to utilize it as a working hypothesis, well, I see nothing wrong with that. Again though, this in no way addresses the issue of Absolute Truth, which in many ways parallels the *existence of God* question. Essentially it is indeterminable.

This problem also derives from the confusion of the *desire* or *need* for absolutes that *subjectively corrupts* the objectivity of analysis for *definition* and introduces at least some portion of the relativism of perspective. 

We can start with a look at general grammar to develop one solid indication of the perspective of our psychological dependence for *certainty*.  This cognitive aspect determines our degree of *confidence,* which is the measure of trust or faith that many experience or seek.  However this is not *true* knowledge absolute or otherwise, though as a product of empirical presumption it is practical and I suspect derived from the pragmatic necessity to be decisive in the struggle for survival evolutionarily.

I agree with you that in an evolutionary setting it was probably imperative that the still novel rational mind arrive at a moment of conclusion -- that it be *decisive*. Carrying this forward to the present day, I'm also of the opinion that constructing a conceptual framework, and operating within its confines, does confer some degree of advantage to those who utilize it (as long as the individual understands the subjective nature of their framework). A framework can be used to hypothesize, to reach out into uncharted memespace. The better constructed the framework is, the more likely that its forward probing will succeed.

why religion can go from being a kind of *prosthetic conceptual device* promoting cognitive development to a crutch impeding it as many become dependent on *fundamental* models that have not adapted to integrate an expanding database of knowledge and ideas

This is partially because the average religionist is not aware of the subjective nature of their framework.

#38 jaguar

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:20 PM

Osiris,

I've explained as far as I can.

The rest of you guys have fun with your theories and say my name if you need me.

#39 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:53 PM

Another evasion.

Jaguar says:

Susma,

There is no "conspiracy", people are just ignoring you. The matter has already been addressed, you'll find your answer on the thread.

I'll be ignoring any of your future posts, on this thread or any other, that I find irrelavant (sic), rambling, or distasteful.

See, another evasion from Jaguar. Here are the others:

1. Claiming he can't understand your English, as though he's a master of English.

2. Claiming he can't make sense of your post, as thought his posts have any coherence much less meaning.

3. Claiming finally globatim that your posts are "irrelavant (sic), rambling, or distasteful".

To visitors here who have to help your kids with the homework or face a professor who wants something definite from you that is cerebrally digestible, here is Susma's definition of truth:

Truth is something by which you judge other things to be dependable for the life outside your mind or independent of your mind.

For example a true car is one that you can depend on to get you to where you want to arrive at on wheels.

A true math operation is one that co-systematizes with the rest of your mathematic scenario.

A true principle is one that makes a operative harmony with the rest of your code of behavior.

Otherwise all discussions about truth and most of all absolute truth is so much ado about nothing. And there is no absolute truth because the phrase is intrinsically self-contradictory as I had explained earlier.

Susma

#40 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:30 AM

For example a true car is one that you can depend on to get you to where you want to arrive at on wheels.

Priceless... [g:)]

#41 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:34 AM

Otherwise all discussions about truth and most of all absolute truth is so much ado about nothing.

Susma,
Can you prove that there is no absolute truth? If you can't, then mustn't you leave open the possibility?

• Lurker

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:37 AM

I removed a portion of my post when addressing the paradox of absolutes on page 1. After reading Laz and Don's posts I see the issue dealt with was brought up. So I'll post it anyway.

"Recognizing absolute truth(s) absolutely requires certainty, otherwise we must assign likelyhoods and allow for doubt.

Such certainty might be attainable in an indefinite or infinite existance, I don't know."

Both of you expanded on this further, and have given me more to think about.

I'll add some additional conjecture, not necessarily what I believe but thoughts shared aloud.

As agents approach infinite lifespans, their knowledge approaches infinity, and the existential risks they face approach zero. Don has suggested in another thread that as life increases in complexity, free will increases accordingly, assuming this is true such agents would also approach absolute free will. What about intelligence and absolute truth(s)? Does intelligence approach infinity (if I can quantify it that way) and confidence in supposed absolute truth(s) approach certainty? Perhaps.

This is highly speculative of course, feel free to critique.

Edited by cosmos, 07 April 2005 - 05:58 AM.

#43 jaguar

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:27 PM

Don,

"This is why I say that Truth is about the journey and not the destination. If one were to make Truth all about the destination, then one would either be deluding himself into a state of unjustified self confidence, or he would be frustrated to the point of despair."

Only the destination matters to me, the path but a requirement. Yet to those two dangers you've mentioned I have found solutions. Humility thru logical reasoning and acceptance that failure is far more probable than success.

Exellent quote btw.

#44 amar

• 154 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:04 PM

Though there is much trickery and deception in the world, everything is absolutely true. If absolute truth is your goal, realize that the path even with all its magic and mysticism haunting the way is equally true. Then absolute truth will not be a goal, but a way of life.

#45 jaguar

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:16 PM

sigh

#46 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:33 AM

Jaguar

Infernity,

We'll have to discuss it again once you return?

Oh geez [8)]
It will never be the same!!

amar

A wise man once said, "Truth is what's left of anything after you've stopped believing in it."

Hmmm smart, I'd say.

osiris

if it is to be absolute, you have to know EVERYTHING.

Absolutely! Ugh I can't even imagine that! But yes, that's a great goal, we'll live forever to explore the infinite knowledge existence.
"Why living forever?- Simply to have enough time for answering that question"

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#47 Omnido

• 194 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:17 PM

Truth is logical and parsimonious consistency with evidence and with other truth. Evidence is
any and all perceived circumstances.

The Principle of Parsimony (or Occam's Razor) is that the simpler of two explanations is to be
preferred when they are otherwise equivalent.
Humans have proposed several criteria for truth.

The Correspondence Theory of Truth is that the terms of true propositions map to elements of
reality in a way that validates the proposition.

The Coherence Theory of Truth is that true propositions are those in the system of mutually
coherent propositions that is more complete than any rival system.

The Pragmatic Theory of Truth is that true propositions are those that are most useful to
believe and that are thus "fated to be ultimately agreed to by all who investigate".

The Correspondence Theory begs the question by assuming that reality
can be known directly and certainly. Depending on the meaning of
'complete', the Coherence Theory either reduces to the Correspondence
Theory, or it makes truth a purely social (or divine) construct. The
Pragmatic Theory either underdetermines the truth of certain
propositions, or it reduces to a variant of the social version of the
Coherence Theory. The proper notion of truth is coherence grounded
in correspondence.

#48 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:40 PM

Hey Omnido,

I like the way you clarified and organized the various types of truth that can be sought after.

I'm wondering though, since your ideal notion of Truth is coherence grounded in correspondence, wouldn't it still be hampered by the limitation you mentioned for correspondence?

...begs the question by assuming that reality can be known directly and certainly.

Still though, I think your idea of Truth is as good as any I've heard. [thumb]

Don

#49 Omnido

• 194 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:05 PM

It would appear that way, yes. That is why a combination could be inferred as "The Best method" if there is one "best" to be achieved.
Absolute truth is ambiguous, because absolute certainty has yet to be proven or demonstrated as plausible. Its a nice little idea like "Beyond light speed" or "Absolute Zero temperature" etc..., but as those grounded in physics as the basis for their understanding are already aware, absolute values are fleeting at best, due to physics limitations. Damn Hisenberg... ;)

#50 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:45 AM

"Absolute Zero temperature" Omnido, can be achieved. If something that's over zero temperature goes gradually lower to lower than zero (or the opposite), that means it a passed the absolute zero temperature even for if just for a single moment...

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#51 th3hegem0n

• 379 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:06 AM

After knowing absolute truth, that is after knowing every possbility that exists and then experiencing those that I want to, plus finding out exactly what happened throughout history to the best possible degree up to my current point of existence, there isn't much else to live for really.

I'll take my time. I'm in no rush for absolute truth.

#52 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:23 AM

I'll take my time. I'm in no rush for absolute truth.

Well th3hegem0n, then you in fact play right, it's just a madness ,intentness, willfulness, determinedness of few of us (contains me). [tung]
Heh always feel to be running out of time, and have infinite things to do, so I better do things fast, oh I like it more.

Yours
~Infernity

#53 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 April 2005 - 01:48 PM

Infernity

"Absolute Zero temperature" Omnido, can be achieved. If something that's over zero temperature goes gradually lower to lower than zero (or the opposite), that means it a passed the absolute zero temperature even for if just for a single moment...

Its physically impossible to go lower than absolute zero Infernity. Absolute zero would imply that there is zero energy in a system. It is also impossible to even reach a temperature of absolute zero because there will always be some level of residual/contaminant energy in a closed system (at least at our current level of technological sophistication - there could be advances that are as of yet unforseen).

#54 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:11 PM

Don,

Its physically impossible to go lower than absolute zero Infernity.

Well, have you never been in a place where the temperature is set on minus? [huh]

Absolute zero would imply that there is zero energy in a system.

Hmm, interesting to mention here black holes.

It is also impossible to even reach a temperature of absolute zero because there will always be some level of residual/contaminant energy in a closed system

Well yes, but that means it is divided to parts, some will still be on absolute zero. simply not the whole thing, you are correct...

at least at our current level of technological sophistication - there could be advances that are as of yet unforseen).

... Oh well, yep ;) NOTHING is for sure, and EVERYTHING is possible.
Since even a different universe can have total different logics if it'll have...

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#55 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:34 PM

Hey Inferity

Don,

Well, have you never been in a place where the temperature is set on minus? [huh]

You're probably thinking about the Fahrenheit or Celsius scales. ;) There's also a Kelvin scale, which is what scientists/physicists use.

Absolute Zero is about -459 degrees Fahrenheit or -273 degress Celsius.

Absolute Zero

Why doesn't it get down all the way to Absolute Zero?

That is a really interesting question. It turns out that the heat left over from the Big Bang that created the universe is everywhere, and it keeps the temperature in space from going any lower than 3 degrees Kelvin. Measuring this temperature is the strongest evidence we have that the Big Bang actually happened. However, people can do a lot better than nature when it comes to getting things cold. For almost a century we have been able to build refrigerators that get to lower than 3 degrees above Absolute Zero, and for quite a while we have been able to even get lower than 1/1000 of a degree above Absolute Zero. However, a big step was when Cornell and Wieman cooled a small sample of atoms down to only a few billionths (0.000,000,001) of a degree above Absolute Zero! That was what they needed to do to see Bose-Einstein condensation.

Talk to you later

Don

#56 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:00 PM

I should also stress however, that I do not necessarily agree with this comparison. There very well could be an "absolute truth"; how we would ever arrive at a position of *high confidence* regarding it I do not know, but it could exist.

As a counter example to the use of limits when discussing absolute truth I would point to Zeno's Paradox.

Zeno's Paradox may be rephrased as follows. Suppose I wish to cross the room. First, of course, I must cover half the distance. Then, I must cover half the remaining distance. Then, I must cover half the remaining distance. Then I must cover half the remaining distance . . . and so on forever. The consequence is that I can never get to the other side of the room.

Of course everyone realizes that, in reality, this is just plain silliness. If I wish to cross the room I most definitely will arrive at the other side of the room.

#57 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:25 PM

Hey Don,
Thanks for the little clear up. ;)

You're probably thinking about the Fahrenheit or Celsius scales.

Arr, yes I was...
For general education: [>] water freezes at 273.15 K and boils at 373.15 K .

Absolute Zero is about -459 degrees Fahrenheit or -273 degress Celsius.

Yes, -459.67 F or -273.15 C ;)

Zeno's Paradox may be rephrased as follows. Suppose I wish to cross the room. First, of course, I must cover half the distance. Then, I must cover half the remaining distance. Then, I must cover half the remaining distance. Then I must cover half the remaining distance . . . and so on forever. The consequence is that I can never get to the other side of the room.

Heh someone asked me that as a brainteaser before :)

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#58 armrha

• 187 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:59 PM

Of course everyone realizes that, in reality, this is just plain silliness.  If I wish to cross the room I most definitely will arrive at the other side of the room.

Is it enough for you to just rest on the experimental evidence? Mathematically, why does the sequence diverge with you getting to the other side of the room? The solution is an interesting one...

I think this is the, um, strangest thread I've ever read. I understand the value sometimes in a 'from the top-down' approach, but this is just ridiculous. To have a truth is nigh impossible in our universe. Think about a set of laws of motion that will let us predict the movement of just the planets in our solar system perfectly for the next 80,000,000 years. I think so far it can be summed up as:

Truth: (NULL PROGRAM)

Truth is nice but just general guidelines are far more useful... If we held out for truth before we made a fire or rolled a wheel, we'd still be living in caves.

#59 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:36 PM

armrha,

To have a truth is nigh impossible in our universe.

Yes, that's a very depressing point, but aspires to be true... But I believe living an forever seeking after this truth- is the most superior thing we can do...

Did you read the serial by Douglas Adamas- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
http://www.douglasad...tions/hhgg.html
The books are originally in English, but I have it in Hebrew, but let me re-translate from Hebrew to English something from the second book in the serial (The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe)- the two first sentences before the first chapter:

"There's a theory claims if someone will ever find out for what exactly the universe meant for and why it's existing here, the universe will vanish in the twinkling of an eye and will be replaced in something even more weird and unexplainable.

There's another theory, claims it has already happened.
"

However, I believe the truth is the principle the pattern that according to that we can explore everything, not everything. Since there are infinite things to explore- it may get boring although it will be very hard, because living without seeking the truth is VERY hard. Aspires to complete perfectness. And complete perfectness is a reasonable reason to suicide, and lots may fall for that and die.

In one hand I want to find out the trues VERY badly!

On the other hand- as all of us- I fear of the unknown. What the chaos will happen? [:o]

If we held out for truth before we made a fire or rolled a wheel, we'd still be living in caves.

Heh yes, armrha, there is some moral in that.
Supposing we can see the future, and we see that immortality has been reached in 2030- We will be satisfied and won't try to make it happen- because we 'know' it will... But it supposed to happen due our attempt to receive it! If we'll sit idle- nothing will improve. That's an illusion. We sure will fall for that.

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#60 th3hegem0n

• 379 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:47 AM

"Is absolute truth even desirable"

It seems to me that knowing the truth is a fundamental human motivation. Although, it can be superceded by other motivations in some situations.

What is absolute truth?

Cause and effect my friends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users