* * * * * 3 votes

The Anticipatory Anhedonia Thread

anhedonia motivation depression adhd

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#91 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

I would like to point out that many low-dopamine related illnesses such as ADHD and (According to the other thread) AvPD do not include anticipatory anhedonia as depicted by the OP.

That's because the dopaminergic deficiency in ADD is isolated to the prefrontal Cortex and does not include the Nucleus accumbens. As for AvPD, well claiming it's due to a lack of dopamine is conjecture at best.

True illnesses (as opposed to self-diagnosed 'disorders') which involve an undisputed dopaminergic deficit, like parkinsonism, very often include comorbid anhedonia.

Most of Medievil's claims are just unsubstantiated assumption, fuelled by copious abuse of euphorigenic sympathomimetic stimulants. Best to be highly sceptical about anything he says, unless it's supported by evidence from studies.

#92 Dissolvedissolve

• Topic Starter
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

A very nice response, so I'll just provide some opinions and whatnot.

I would like to point out that many low-dopamine related illnesses such as ADHD and (According to the other thread) AvPD do not include anticipatory anhedonia as depicted by the OP.

Medievil classifies AvPD as a disorder related to low DA. This is a suggestion on his part and may be to some extent true. It is not, however, a well-accepted conclusion in the literature, at least as far as I've seen. Personality disorders are generally very difficult to treat and related to, surprise, someone's personality, which tends to be largely fixed from adulthood on. They generally respond quite poorly to meds - medications, even more so than with other types of disorders, tend to be palliative. So I do not think personality disorders are very useful for assessing physiology.

As far as ADHD, that may be true, but it may not. Many people report co-occurrence of anticipatory anhedonia (I'll call it AA from now on) and ADHD-like symptoms. For me, AA coincides with some mild ADHD-like symptoms. Attention is more difficult to maintain when items appear uninteresting.
Edit: thanks to animal for the post. In that case, this makes sense. If we have a broader issue in DA signalling, it would indeed manifest itself in reduced PFC DA concentrations and thus ADHD-like symptoms. But one could have issues exclusively with PFC DA signalling without corresponding deficits in anicipatory pleasure, which may have more to do with subcortical structures like the nACC. I'm just speculating here - please correct me if you have any input or ideas.

Certainly, it seems ADHD can exist without AA, but it can also exist with AA, and I strongly suspect that the prevalence of AA in populations with ADHD is higher than that of the general population.

In fact, it seems to me like there are several stages, more than just Anticipation and Consummation.

[snip]

The second, I think is mostly caused by dopamine.
The third, I agree is probably an opioid problem.

[snip]

It seems to me like the first stage is where most of you are having trouble, and I don't think that is primarily a dopamine problem. Either that, or I am misunderstanding the usage of anticipatory.

I think this a very interesting division, although I think the first and second stages are somewhat entangled (perhaps the second and third as well, for the matter, via cascading effects of DA on opioids). I think fantasizing is largely cognitive. I think that, to some degree, people with AA may be able to fantasize. I'm not really a good example since my issue is pretty mild, but I do think I can do this to some degree, even if just from a cognitive perspective. And yet I highly doubt that it is overactive - perhaps since I cognitively am not big on fantasizing in the long term. There's a difference between looking forward to something exciting tomorrow and not enjoying your life since you're obsessed with being rich in ten years. I think some of the issue may lie here, but I really doubt this is the crux of AA - I have much larger deficits in your second phase.

Also, although I think fantasizing behavior is largely cognitive, there may be some dopaminergic connection. People experiencing mania are often very goal-centric and start up wild, risky, and flawed ventures. And mania is associated with excessive DA signalling and is thus often treated with antipsychotics. On the other hand, anticonvulsants, which decrease activity more broadly also work, which complicates things. (And there's lithium, which is hopelessly complex.) In any case, I think this suggests that fantasizing behavior is largely cognitive, but with perhaps some dopaminergic assistance.

The second phase is where my deficit is, and based on the other anecdotal evidence I've heard, I think it is where others' deficits are as well. There's a lack of drive to actually do things and continue them. The terminology is quite confusing here. I personally would say that, at least in my experience, there's a deficit in the salience of stimuli. Meaning, essentially, that future events are not exciting or enticing to a large degree. But that does not mean that I do not plan future events - I do all the time - and somewhat strangely, since I then do not really look forward to them, although I am able to minimize risks by planning, my main motivation for that behavior. Perhaps someone with stronger AA would have a larger deficit in planning behaviors.

The third stage is obviously purely consummatory and not really relevant for AA.

The first is more complicated, and I don't really know what causes it. It does seem to be overactive in ADHD and AvPD, though. This, in combination with the fact that piractam(which upregulates NMDA receptors) helps me with it, and that glutamate sensitivity is inverse to dopamine makes me think that maybe it is at least partially caused by low glutamate sensitivity. This would compound on why adderall is helpful to ADD-PI patients. Not only does it increase motivation through the dopamine, but it draws them out of daydreaming by desensitizing their NMDAs, making them more "in the now" because it reduces the likelihood that they will fantasize.

That's an interesting idea. The thing is, if we're looking for NMDA receptor desenitization, we would expect response to psychostimulants to exhibit a delayed therapeutic response. But we do not see that - response is maximized on the first dose and declines as tolerance builds. Eventually, you have a relatively stable therapeutic effect with little euphoria.

I'm inclined to view things in a somewhat reversed way. We know PCP, an NMDA antagonist, causes schizophrenia-like symptoms, both positive and negative, along with a dissociative, dream-like state. We know that schizophrenia likely involves NMDA hypofunction and responds, at least partially to pro-NMDA therapies. So when we increase glutamatergic activity, we get, presumably, the opposite of dissociation. Some sort of intensely present, highly embodied state.

And we know glutamate activity is required to "allow" opioid-modulated consummatory pleasure - I posted some references on that claim a while back in this thread.

I think that Medievil said this in another post, but I don't think dopamine has much to do with pleasure directly. It is more of a mediator between fantasy and pleasure. So, more dopamine results in more pleasure, but only because it allows change of panning to consummation.

I definitely agree with you on that point. There's tons and tons of evidence that DA does not modulate pleasure directly at this point, and it's sad that there's still a tendency to teach DA = pleasure.

DA is important for learning, reinforcement, and motivation, and DA release causes pleasure by triggering opioid release, but it is not inherently pleasurable (ie if you have a trial where you coadminister opioid agonists, amphetamine is not euphoric).

DA has been shown to be largely irrelevant in consummatory pleasure. However, opioid activity does cause DA release - thus the addictive qualities of opioids. And DA release causes reward-seeking behaviors, which wind up causing more opioid release when they are successful.

Edited by Dissolvedissolve, 25 December 2012 - 07:31 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

Great posts people.

So the over-simplified model of the reward-process when looking at the most dominating factor at each stage would look something like this:

---------------------------------------Anticipatory-------------------Consummatory-----
-------------- Wanting -------------------- ---- Seeking ------ ----------- -------Reward
Glutamate -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dopamine -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opioid ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the preventive factors is very important. Here are couple of my ideas:
Excess GABA-activity dulls the beginning of the process altough it may benefit the end stages. This is why benzos can be pleasurable but deactivating.
Excess serotonin-activity lowers the seeking-stage by providing too much satisfaction to end up with real reward.
Various stress hormones preventing or stopping the whole process. "Alert: bad or dangerous activity"

Correct me if I'm wrong

Edited by Galaxyshock, 25 December 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#94 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

@brainslug: your post with the three stages is most interesting - do you have any good material on it around (especially on AvPD and the related issues in stage 2)? I feel like the first stage I do not have any issue - I can dream about far in the future projects just fine. I badly suck at execution and unlike ADD-PI, I mostly do not even start. I am also not too good on stage 3 but that I can address when I fixed stage 2....

#95 Dissolvedissolve

• Topic Starter
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Great posts people.

So the over-simplified model of the reward-process when looking at the most dominating factor at each stage would look something like this:

---------------------------------------Anticipatory-------------------Consummatory-----
-------------- Wanting -------------------- ---- Seeking ------ ----------- -------Reward
Glutamate -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dopamine -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opioid ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the preventive factors is very important. Here are couple of my ideas:
Excess GABA-activity dulls the beginning of the process altough it may benefit the end stages. This is why benzos can be pleasurable but deactivating.
Excess serotonin-activity lowers the seeking-stage by providing too much satisfaction to end up with real reward.
Various stress hormones preventing or stopping the whole process. "Alert: bad or dangerous activity"

Correct me if I'm wrong

That's a very cool way of visualizing things, but I think it needs to be tweaked slightly.

I agree that GABA tends to inhibit the process, but it's pretty much deactivating throughout the brain, as far as I know. Perhaps there's a tendency to inhibit glutamatergic projections moreso than monoaminergic ones - I don't know. Benzos do not seem to be traditionally euphoric, but they are pleasurable to the extent that they decreases anxiety and whatnot. I read a link claiming that inhibiting VTA neurons via benzos causes DA release, but it's from a somewhat biased source, so don't take that claim at face value (http://www.drugabuse...tive-properties). So in that case, benzos may be reinforcing but really don't have any clear, specific effect on this wanting-seeking-enjoying chain. Certainly, benzos are habit forming, but it's not exactly clear to me whether it's through typical dopaminergic reinforcement or a more complex psychological mechanism. So, really, I can't say what role GABA plays in this chain - likely not a very significant one, in any case.

I agree that excess 5-HT causes a decline in seeking behavior - the mechanism being serotonergic inhibition of DA.

Stress hormones may play a role. My understanding is that chronic elevation of cortisol causes inhibition and eventually damage to certain brain areas. So the hippocampus, for instance, is smaller in depressed subjects, and antidepressant treatment causes increased BDNF and hippocampal neurogenesis. It's my understanding that this chronic stress also damages or downregulates the reward system, causing anhedonia in depressed individuals.

In general, I think your diagram is accurate for the second and third stage, but the first may be a bit more complicated. The first stage is only glutamate-driven to the extent that NMDA activity is increasing the sensation of embodiment. I do not believe that NMDA is inherently driving or motivating. Piracetam, for instance, is a positive allosteric modifier of NMDA and is not, at least in my experience, very motivating. Focusing, perhaps, but not really motivating. It may be indirectly motivating by depleting acetylcholine, which ultimately increases DA levels.

@brainslug: your post with the three stages is most interesting - do you have any good material on it around (especially on AvPD and the related issues in stage 2)? I feel like the first stage I do not have any issue - I can dream about far in the future projects just fine. I badly suck at execution and unlike ADD-PI, I mostly do not even start. I am also not too good on stage 3 but that I can address when I fixed stage 2....

The thing is, I doubt anyone in this thread has issues with the first stage. The only people I can imagine having issues with long-term aspirations are perhaps those with severe schizotypal symptoms. It would be very interesting if someone who experiences a substantial deficit in the first stage to describe that experience.

Edited by Dissolvedissolve, 25 December 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#96 kevinseven11

• 385 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Kudzu is the miracle supplement for you guys!
It blocks gaba's effects aswell as antagonizes 5ht2c receptors.1' It is a stimulant that blocks the enzyme that breaks down alcohol (So warning not to drink and take this). 3' It also acts as a 5-HT1A agonist! 2' This supplement isn't used so much but it is infact very promising!
Tell me what you guys think! :)

Links:
1' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerarin
2' https://www.jstage.j..._4_420/_article
3' http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17980785

Edited by kevinseven11, 25 December 2012 - 08:36 PM.

• like x 1

#97 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

In general, I think your diagram is accurate for the second and third stage, but the first may be a bit more complicated. The first stage is only glutamate-driven to the extent that NMDA activity is increasing the sensation of embodiment. I do not believe that NMDA is inherently driving or motivating. Piracetam, for instance, is a positive allosteric modifier of NMDA and is not, at least in my experience, very motivating. Focusing, perhaps, but not really motivating. It may be indirectly motivating by depleting acetylcholine, which ultimately increases DA levels.

Yes that makes sense. I think there should be some sort of "observing" before the wanting stage. NMDA providing the awareness and planning of possible pleasurable activities. At wanting-stage dopamine is already getting more involved providing the feeling and emotion and ultimately the ability to feel the pleasure altough not being the pleasure itself. Phenibut (GABA-B agonist) was very pleasurable at some point and perhaps this GABA activity could "disinhibit dopamine to stimulate opioid release". Another possibility is GABA blocking the stress-activity from distracting the pleasure process, but in any excess quantities GABA simply dulls everything down. Regardless, like with every other neurotransmitter, some modulating activity is happening altough it's not a main player.

The opioids are probably already involved at earlies stages when seeking and anticipating the pleasure "the chase is better than the catch". As we gather information and learn about the subject we could make a better and more informational diagram, mine was just a simple idea of visualising this. It could be useful since anhedonia seems to be a quite common problem in this forum.

Kudzu is the miracle supplement for you guys!
It blocks gaba's effects aswell as antagonizes 5ht2c receptors.1' It is a stimulant that blocks the enzyme that breaks down alcohol (So warning not to drink and take this). 3' It also acts as a 5-HT1A agonist! 2' This supplement isn't used so much but it is infact very promising!
Tell me what you guys think! :)

Links:
1' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerarin
2' https://www.jstage.j..._4_420/_article
3' http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17980785

Unfortunately Kudzu didn't work at least in my case. It should do something, but like with many other mild stimulants, the numbness and feeling of disconnection leaves the effects very distant to a point of no good. The same supplement did have noticeable effects in the past when I didn't have anhedonia.

Edited by Galaxyshock, 26 December 2012 - 07:08 AM.

#98 Dissolvedissolve

• Topic Starter
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

Yes that makes sense. I think there should be some sort of "observing" before the wanting stage. NMDA providing the awareness and planning of possible pleasurable activities. At wanting-stage dopamine is already getting more involved providing the feeling and emotion and ultimately the ability to feel the pleasure altough not being the pleasure itself. Phenibut (GABA-B agonist) was very pleasurable at some point and I'm suspecting this GABA activity could "disinhibit dopamine to stimulate opioid release". Another possibility is GABA blocking the stress-activity from distracting the pleasure process, but in any excess quantities GABA simply dulls everything down.

The opioids are probably already involved at earlies stages when seeking and anticipating the pleasure "the chase is better than the catch". As we gather information and learn about the subject we could make a better and more informational diagram, mine was just a simple idea of visualising this. It could be useful since anhedonia seems to be a quite common problem in this forum.

I suspect phenibut could cause opioid release through disinhibition as you mention. It's also important to note thought that GABA-B agonists also cause direct dopamine release, making them extra addictive and pleasurable (in the anticipatory sense, and presumably also in the consummatory sense via cascading release of opioids). So the effects of the much more common GABA-A agonists can't really be guessed at very effectively via GABA-B agonists.

The opioids are definitely involved any time you have dopamine. It's truly accurate to call anticipatory pleasure by that name - anticipation is pleasurable since DA release causes opioid release. Once you reach consumption, you have pure opioid activity, although I suppose you still have DA telling you to continue the pleasurable activity. But I do not think that the opioids play any direct, independent role until you're in the consumption phase.
  • like x 1

#99 scibor

• 20 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

was previously with piracetam and its impact on motivation ...

IMO a motivating effect on the motivation of the associated allosteric modulator is piracetam NMDA is offset that piracetam reduces the turnover of monoamines in the brain, strengthening the NMDA itself is in my opinion a motivating

#100 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

The thing is, I doubt anyone in this thread has issues with the first stage. The only people I can imagine having issues with long-term aspirations are perhaps those with severe schizotypal symptoms. It would be very interesting if someone who experiences a substantial deficit in the first stage to describe that experience.

Major depression would definitely screw up the first stage, especially once suicidal ideations come into play. But interestingly major depression is generally thought to leave stage 3 alone - there are many studies showing that when depressed people are convinced to do pleasurable activities, they are often themselves surprised that they are pleasurable.

#101 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

Edited by Adaptogen, 27 December 2012 - 02:59 AM.

#102 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Honestly, I think this is the most common among the general population. This is where the problem is for the kind of person who isn't happy no matter what they accomplish or accumulate. If it was purely on this stage, the person would have no problem actually preforming actions. I would imagine that that kind of person would be the type who is very high in society, like CEOs.

I don't think it works that way. I you have can't really enjoy the consummatory side, that won't make you successful, it's an impairement.
Enjoyment might be skewed in some way or the other in some successful people though.

Imagine we have a person that has a strong enjoyment of anticipation but not a lot of fun with consumation. I would assume that person would tend to make lots of plans but seldomly follow through. Because the required work is part of the consumation.

#103 Dissolvedissolve

• Topic Starter
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

I've been reading about the roles of different kinds of dopamine receptors in schizophrenia, and it's suggesting that the negative symptoms of schizophrenia, which include anticipatory anhedonia, are based on reduced D1/D5 receptor function. D1/D5 are mostly expressed in the cortex, whereas D2 is primarily subcortical, so individuals with schizophrenia seem to have increased D2 and subcortical DA but reduced D1/D5 and cortical DA.

The negative or deficit symptoms—that is, decreased social interaction, apathy and avolition—are considered to be core symptoms of schizophrenia. Indeed, Bleuler proposed that deficit state symptoms represent pathognomonic signs of schizophrenia and are at the root of the poor social and work function that characterize people with chronic schizophrenia. Primate studies suggest that insufficient frontal cortical functioning is responsible for poor social skills: Monkeys with frontal lobe ablations not only have an inability to suppress irrelevant stimuli, poor concentration, and impaired delayed response testing, but also exhibit the poor social function that is reminiscent of deficit state symptoms which characterize schizophrenia (82).
Only a handful of studies have directly attempted to link decreased activity of the PFC in schizophrenia with negative symptoms. Decreased activation of the PFC as measured by SPECT was only found in schizophrenic patients with predominantly negative symptoms (31). Furthermore, negative symptoms were associated with decreased frontal blood flow as assessed by PET (33). Although preliminary, these data do suggest a link between negative symptoms and impaired cortical function in schizophrenia.
[…]
The persistent symptoms of schizophrenia appear to be the deficit state symptoms rather than the positive symptoms and appear to be related to decreased DA function in the cortex rather than being related to increased DA activity in the subcortical regions. Thus, it is not surprising that these symptoms are resistant to treatment with DA antagonists. Indeed, one would expect these symptoms to be amenable to treatment with DA agonists with cortical selectivity. Because mesocortical DA neurons are primarily of the D1 and D5 type, it can be hypothesized that selective D1 or D5 agonists would be particularly helpful for these symptoms. Moreover, consistent with the finding by Jaskiw et al. (88) that increasing prefrontal cortical DA activity reduces striatal DA activity, D1 or D5 agonists would be expected to decrease the hypothesized increased DA activity in subcortical DA neurons and thus be useful (in combination with traditional D2 antagonists) in the treatment of acute psychoses as well. Preliminary data from treatment of nonresponsive patients treated with mazindole or SKF39393 are consistent with this notion (39, 84).
To treat both positive and negative symptoms of schizophrenia, a balance between increasing DA activity at D1/5 receptors and decreasing it at D2, D3, or D4 receptors may be needed. Studies examining such combination treatments, using selective D1 agonists and D2, D3, or D4 antagonists, have yet to be conducted, but promise to be scientifically and possibly practically fruitful.

→ source (external link)

Unfortunately, this suggests two promising options, pramipexole and selegiline, may not be viable. Pramipexole is a D2/D3/D4 agonist, and will not achieve the D1 agonism we want. Perhaps the D3 agonism could be useful by stimulating the NAcc, but I'm not sure about that. Selegiline is an MAO-B inhibitor, meaning it's selective for DA, but MAO-B is primarily expressed in subcortical regions, so it may not be all that useful. Both have some support in studies, so I don't mean to say they're useless, just that they might not be as effective as I previously suspected.

Honestly, stimulants may be the most viable route at this point. They're used to improve PFC activity in individuals with ADHD and thus should be useful.

Also, it appears cognitive training may be of some use. Here's a study on it. I've been using Lumosity for the past few weeks and feel slightly mentally faster but not very different in terms of anhedonic tendencies.

Working memory is a key function for human cognition, dependent on adequate dopamine neurotransmission. Here we show that the training of working memory, which improves working memory capacity, is associated with changes in the density of cortical dopamine D1 receptors.Fourteen hours of training over 5 weeks was associated with changes in both prefrontal and parietal D1 binding potential. This plasticity of the dopamine D1 receptor system demonstrates areciprocal interplay between mental activity and brain biochemistry in vivo.

→ source (external link)

And on an unrelated note, I've been taking rhodiola rosea for the past eight days with no appreciable effect. I'll update again after two weeks or so, but it doesn't seem to be doing much so far.

Edited by Dissolvedissolve, 30 December 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#104 NeuroNootropic

• 239 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:21 AM

I want to try pramipexole for my motivational problems. I think my lack of motivation is related to my anhedonia. I'm worried about its downregulating effects on dopamine production. I don't want to become dependent on it. I want to fix this problem permanently so that I don't have to worry about returning to my current self if the pramipexole fixes my motivational problems and if I stop taking it.

Even though my psychiatrist diagnosed me with dysthmia, I decided to take an HAM-D test and I scored 19:

Score:' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://farmacologiaclinica.info/scales/hamilton-depression/']Score: 19
Severe depression
Cut-off points include:
≤7: Normal || 8-13: Mild depression || 14-18: Moderate Depression || 19-22: Severe Depression || ≥23 Very severe depression

→ source (external link)

I found this article on pramipexole in 3 case reports in which it decreased HAM-D scores:

' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.cnsspectrums.com/aspx/articledetail.aspx?articleid=412']Case 1:

The patient continued to report low mood, lack of energy, and poor motivation. Pramipexole 0.5 mg TID was started in July 2004. Her other medications included risperidone 2 mg HS (since 1998), nortriptyline 75 mg HS (since 1997), and citalopram 60 mg/day (since 1999). Her Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (HAM-D) score was 13 when pramipexole was initiated. Two weeks later, the patient was more alert but still depressed, pramipexole was increased to 1 mg TID. Her HAM-D score was 15 at that visit. Pramipexole was increased at this visit to 1 mg TID due to modest improvement subjectively but which was not reflected in the HAM-D score. A subsequent visit 2 months later revealed a significant improvement in mood, increased alertness, improved energy and motivation. MS. G said she wanted to continue her current regimen. Three months later at a follow-up visit the patient reported that her energy level and mood had improved considerably. Her HAM-D score had dropped to 8.

Case 2:

Mr. G, a 46-year-old, male with a long-standing history of DSM-IV bipolar I disorder and at least two documented manic episodes resulting in psychiatric hospitalizations in 1996 and 1999 was currently experiencing a depressive episode when he presented at the clinic. In addition to feeling low, he felt significant guilt, decreased motivation, initial insomnia, and loss of energy. His HAM-D score was 21. Aripiprazole was stopped due to dizziness and akathisia. He was initiated on a titration schedule of lamotrigine 25 mg HS with a target dosage of 100 mg HS. Pramipexole 0.25 mg TID was then added, the off-label use being discussed with the patient. At a follow-up visit 2 weeks later, he described a 70% improvement in symptoms, including motivation and energy level. The variation in his mood between the morning and afternoon was much decreased. Mr. G’s HAM-D score had dropped to 6. Six weeks later, he continued to report an improvement in mood, and energy level. His HAM-D score dropped to 3, he was medication compliant, and he did not report any side effects related to the pramipexole. He did report urinary problems, for which a creatnine clearance was done and found to be normal.

Case 3:

Ms. M, 44-year-old female with a 12-year history of DSM-IV bipolar I disorder is a patient followed at the CDT program. The patient was on olanzapine 40 mg HS (since 2003), escitalopram 30 mg/day (since 2003), zaelaplon 10 mg HS (since 2004), levothyroxine 0.15 mg/day, and benztropine 1 mg BID. Her medical problems included hypothyroidism, dyslipidemia, and cancer of the right breast treated by lumpectomy. She complained of depressive symptoms, which included low energy, decreased motivation, low sex drive, and hopelessness. Her HAM-D was 24 at that time. The pramipexole was initiated of 0.5 mg TID at this visit July 7, 2004. At a visit 2 weeks later her (July 20, 2004) HAM-D score had dropped to 7. Her affect was brighter, mood better, and energy level had shown improvement. At a subsequent visit 4 months later, Ms. M’s HAM-D score was 4 with significant improvement in mood and in sexual activities. In this case, the addition of pramipexole had significantly improved the patients depressive symptoms, as evidenced by patient report, clinician impression, and the HAM-D score.

→ source (external link)

From this tiny case report, it seems that pramipexole does not have any tolerance issues and in fact, works better in the long-term.

Should I ask my psychiatrist to try this? Wellbutrin only worked the first week for me and I'm pretty sure that it was because of the dopaminergic activity. Wellbutrin is a weak dopamine reuptake inhibitor and one develops tolerance quickly for the dopamine reuptake inhibition.

#105 Dissolvedissolve

• Topic Starter
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

It's likely that the benefit you noticed from wellbutrin was due to its action as a stimulant (you'll notice the classic phenethylamine skeleton) rather than its action as a DRI. At non-seizure-inducing doses in humans, its affinity for DAT is around 25%, far below the ~50% necessary for an effect.

Pramipexole is definitely effective for monopolar and bipolar depression - there are full studies, not mere case reports, in the link I posted a while back. There are anecdotal reports of dependence though - dopamine agonists cause downregulation of dopamine production since there's an exogenous ligand and the body wants to maintain homeostasis. So it might take a long taper to come off of it. I would suggest that you assume there's a possibility that you will need to use it for an extended period before you try it. I'm not trying to scare you, just saying that you should be careful. And I'm just working from anecdotal reports and a limited number of studies since usage of pramipexole for MDD and anhedonia is obviously off-label.

Pramipexole' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17854248']Pramipexole in psychiatry: a systematic review of the literature.
Aiken CB. Department of Psychiatry, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC, USA. christopher.aiken.med.99@aya.yale.edu

OBJECTIVE: To assess the risks and benefits of pramipexole in psychiatric populations. DATA SOURCES: A PubMed search was performed using the keywords pramipexole and ropinirole, which identified 500 articles. STUDY SELECTION: All clinical studies in psychiatric populations were included in the primary review (24 articles). Studies involving other populations were then reviewed to evaluate potential risks and benefits not identified in the psychiatric studies. DATA EXTRACTION: Effect sizes were calculated from controlled studies. Rates of intolerable side effects and manic switching were estimated by pooled analysis of controlled and uncontrolled studies. DATA SYNTHESIS: Pramipexole has a large effect size (0.6-1.1) in the treatment of both bipolar and unipolar depression with a low short-term rate of manic switching in bipolar patients (1% mania, 5% hypomania). The pooled discontinuation rate for all reasons was 9%. Pramipexole is neuroprotective and exerts beneficial effects on sleep architecture. Pramipexole is associated with 3 rare but serious side effects: sleep attacks, which have only occurred in Parkinson's disease; compulsive behaviors and pathologic gambling, which have occurred in Parkinson's disease and restless legs syndrome; and psychosis, which has occurred in both psychiatric and neurologic populations. CONCLUSIONS: Pramipexole is an important therapeutic option for treatment-resistant bipolar and unipolar depression; further studies are warranted to evaluate its safety in psychiatric patients.

PMID: 17854248 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

→ source (external link)

Edited by Dissolvedissolve, 31 December 2012 - 05:59 AM.

#106 magniloquentc0unt

• 299 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

Trying to sum up this huge and dispersive post: What would be the less invasive, lowest relapse rate pharmakons available? I believe wellbutrin for low side effects profile(even tho i hear horrible stories about ruined memory) is a safe bet for a starter, but then?

#107 Dissolvedissolve

• Topic Starter
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:44 AM

Trying to sum up this huge and dispersive post: What would be the less invasive, lowest relapse rate pharmakons available? I believe wellbutrin for low side effects profile(even tho i hear horrible stories about ruined memory) is a safe bet for a starter, but then?

1) Wellbutrin is indeed likely the best place to start due to its safety and low side-effect profile. It's also frequently prescribed and should be readily available. I honestly doubt it will work all that well, but it might.

2) Selegiline is probably the next option, but it might "poop-out" after a month or so as you reach homeostasis. Anecdotes on it are conflicting. That said, interactions are pretty minimal as long as you keep it selective for MAO-B, and you don't even need to taper off of it since the MAO-B inhibition gradually disappears over two weeks.

3) Pramipexole is probably most likely to be effective but also has a pretty obnoxious side effect burden until you get used to it and a possible long-term discontinuation syndrome.

I've ordered these in terms of increasing risk and side-effect profile rather than efficacy. Honestly, efficacy is probably the reverse of the order that I've listed them in.

Stimulants remain an option but offer only short-term relief and are likely pretty difficult to obtain unless you have clinically relevant ADHD.

I've been reading through the Massachusetts General Hospital Handbook of Psychiatry. Here's a passage condoning the use of stimulants in MDD and arguing that their risks are overblown. Note that it is based on a hospital setting, so the patients are more supervised and have less risk of abuse, but I think it's still relevant.

Earlier MGH experience with the use of dextroamphetamine and methylphenidate, which showed them to be safe and effective in depressed mentally ill patients,111 has been reconfirmed.54 Their use as therapeutic agents was gradually discontinued a number of years ago,112 but when patients with symptoms of MDD and minor depression continued to respond to stimulants, often achieving remission of their symptoms, these agents once again became used as independent antidepressants in our consultation practice. Their effects on heart rate and BP have been trivial, even though any patient with hypertension or unstable cardiac rhythm requires monitoring of vital signs when started on these agents. The most common fear expressed about their use was that they would reduce appetite in patients who were already anorectic from their illness or their depression or both. However, this was not the case. Instead, increased appetite has been reported by the patients—another striking and important benefit associated with their use. Finally, in those patients who suffered both depressive symptoms and either dementia or an organic brain syndrome (e.g., from head injury), there was a fear that use of a stimulant would result in agitation, confusion, or psychosis. In 17 patients with an associated diagnosis of dementia, only two showed a worsening of confusion, which disappeared within 24 hours of discontinuation of the drug.111 Hence, our practice is now to begin with a stimulant. If it helps (as it did to a moderate or marked degree in 48% of the patients), it does so within a short time: Approximately 93% of the patients who responded positively reached their maximum benefit by the second day. As long as it helps, the stimulant is maintained. Tolerance was not found in our patient sample. The same dosage of the stimulant was maintained until the depressive symptoms cleared or the patient was discharged. A small group of patients were discharged with instructions to continue taking the agent at home. The majority stopped the medication within 2 or 3 weeks. A few continued for 1 year or longer. There is a strong bias against stimulants (dextroamphetamine more so than methylphenidate), because of associated street abuse. In the MGH review cited, neither tolerance nor abuse was found in the patients for whom these agents were prescribed.112

Edited by Dissolvedissolve, 31 December 2012 - 07:18 AM.

#108 NeuroNootropic

• 239 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

I thought amphetamines are neurotoxic and cause depressive symptoms after discontinuation or is this not the case anymore? Methylphenidate has a short half life so one would need to take it either 3 times daily or use an extended release formulation. Would Vyvanse be a better option because of its extended release mechanism?

Also, I found this FDA warning on Pramipexole about the risk of heart failure: http://www.fda.gov/S...s/ucm320054.htm

I have tried Wellbutrin and Selegiline in the past, but neither had a positive effect on my anhedionia and motivation. I also had heart problems while on Wellbutrin. It would cause my heart to beat much harder than normal and I also would occasionally feel a weakness-like feeling in my chest.

#109 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

If you can get a prescription for it, I would try Methylphenidate first and then perhaps Amphetamine (or any of the close relatives like Vyvanse) if you have to. MPH will need a sustained release formulation but I am told that it can work for long periods of time (at least in ADD, motivation is obviously an off label use of it for which my shrink sadly does not want to prescribe it to me). Reports on how bad the crash at the end of the day is vary a lot, I guess you have to try. IIRC, MPH is not neurotoxic but AMP can be in higher doses.

What Wellbutrin dosage where you on?

Edited by nupi, 31 December 2012 - 09:35 AM.

#110 Dissolvedissolve

• Topic Starter
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

I thought amphetamines are neurotoxic and cause depressive symptoms after discontinuation or is this not the case anymore? Methylphenidate has a short half life so one would need to take it either 3 times daily or use an extended release formulation. Would Vyvanse be a better option because of its extended release mechanism?

Also, I found this FDA warning on Pramipexole about the risk of heart failure: http://www.fda.gov/S...s/ucm320054.htm

I have tried Wellbutrin and Selegiline in the past, but neither had a positive effect on my anhedionia and motivation. I also had heart problems while on Wellbutrin. It would cause my heart to beat much harder than normal and I also would occasionally feel a weakness-like feeling in my chest.

Amphetamine can be neurotoxic in excessively high or frequent doses. It's relatively safe if you keep the dosage minimal and control tolerance. With methylphenidate - and honestly probably amphetamine as well - a timed release may be ideal. Vyvanase is an option, although I do not see why it would be superior to a timed release version of dextroamphetamine. I would probably not exceed 5-10 mg d-amp or 10-20 mg mph.

Also, methylphendiate is not neurotoxic, but it is generally not quite as effective as d-amp. There are also some anecdotal reports that mph did not work for anhedonia while d-amp did. This is plausible since in addition to preventing reuptake, amphetamine reverses the action of the DAT and NET, causing release of DA and NE. This causes a cascading increase in glutamate.

Here's a very good explanation of amp and mph neurotoxicity: http://www.quora.com...-or-Ritalin-use

--

Apparently the effect on heart failure is minimal and non-significant. There is good reason to not take some other Parkinsonian drugs, since they are ergot derivatives and can lead to heart valve issues from serotonergic mechanisms that are not relevant for the clinical effect that you're seeking. Since pramipexole does not have serotonergic effects, any heart complications should be minimal.

#111 NeuroNootropic

• 239 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

If you can get a prescription for it, I would try Methylphenidate first and then perhaps Amphetamine (or any of the close relatives like Vyvanse) if you have to. MPH will need a sustained release formulation but I am told that it can work for long periods of time (at least in ADD, motivation is obviously an off label use of it for which my shrink sadly does not want to prescribe it to me). Reports on how bad the crash at the end of the day is vary a lot, I guess you have to try. IIRC, MPH is not neurotoxic but AMP can be in higher doses.

What Wellbutrin dosage where you on?

I was taking 150 mg XL. This was actually my 4th time taking it and in the past I tried 300 mg XL which had too many side effects to list. The worst part is that 300 mg made me worse, not better.

Amphetamine can be neurotoxic in excessively high or frequent doses. It's relatively safe if you keep the dosage minimal and control tolerance. With methylphenidate - and honestly probably amphetamine as well - a timed release may be ideal. Vyvanase is an option, although I do not see why it would be superior to a timed release version of dextroamphetamine. I would probably not exceed 5-10 mg d-amp or 10-20 mg mph.

Also, methylphendiate is not neurotoxic, but it is generally not quite as effective as d-amp. There are also some anecdotal reports that mph did not work for anhedonia while d-amp did. This is plausible since in addition to preventing reuptake, amphetamine reverses the action of the DAT and NET, causing release of DA and NE. This causes a cascading increase in glutamate.

Here's a very good explanation of amp and mph neurotoxicity: http://www.quora.com...-or-Ritalin-use

--

Apparently the effect on heart failure is minimal and non-significant. There is good reason to not take some other Parkinsonian drugs, since they are ergot derivatives and can lead to heart valve issues from serotonergic mechanisms that are not relevant for the clinical effect that you're seeking. Since pramipexole does not have serotonergic effects, any heart complications should be minimal.

Actually, Pramipexole works on the 5-HT1A receptors:

BACKGROUND:' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22023785']BACKGROUND:
Long-term administration of the dopamine (DA) D2-like (D3/2) receptor agonist pramipexole (PPX) has been previously found to desensitize D2 autoreceptors, thereby allowing a normalization of the firing of DA neurons and serotonin (5-HT)1A autoreceptors, permitting an enhancement of the spontaneous firing of 5-HT neurons. We hypothesized that PPX would increase overall DA and 5-HT neurotransmission in the forebrain as a result of these changes at the presynaptic level.
METHODS:
Osmotic minipumps were implanted subcutaneously in male Sprague-Dawley rats, delivering PPX at a dose of 1 mg/kg/d for 14 days. The in vivo electrophysiologic microiontophoretic experiments were carried out in anesthetized rats.

RESULTS:
The sensitivity of postsynaptic D2 receptors in the prefrontal cortex (PFC) remained unaltered following PPX administration, as indicated by the unchanged responsiveness to the microiontophoretic application of DA. Their tonic activation was, however, significantly increased by 104% compared with the control level. The sensitivity of postsynaptic 5-HT1A receptors was not altered, as indicated by the unchanged responsiveness to the microiontophoretic application of 5-HT. Similar to other antidepressant treatments, long-term PPX administration enhanced the tonic activation of 5-HT1A receptors on CA3 pyramidal neurons by 142% compared with the control level. Limitations: The assessment of DA and 5-HT neuronal tone was restricted to the PFC and the hippocampus, respectively.

CONCLUSION:
Chronic PPX administration led to a net enhancement in DA and 5-HT neurotransmission, as indicated by the increased tonic activation of postsynaptic D2 and 5-HT1A receptors in forebrain structures.

→ source (external link)

But I don't think this means pramipexole is serotonergic in nature since there are a ton of different serotonin receptors in the body.

What do you think is the better option here? Amphetamines, methylphenidate or Pramipexole? Pramipexole doesn't seem to affect norepinephrine, which in my opinion is a bonus. Wellbutrin did nothing but give me side effects.

#112 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

I would start with MPH simply because the side effects are generally manageable, it's not neurotoxic (which is a somewhat of a concern with AMP) and relatively easy to get on/off (clearly not the case with Pramipexole).

#113 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

DissolveDissolve: Interesting posts! :) That study seems in line with my observations of how I react to different dopaminergic substances.
I have ADHD, Asperger and atypical depression as well as problems clearly related to the glutaminergic system. Although amphetamine gets me going and helps with focus it definitely worsens my cognition in several aspects and makes me a tad psychotic. I've tried to combine it with low doses of aripiprazole and risperidone without any success, all they seemed to do was to make the amphetamine useless. Aripiprazole not so much though and I may give it a shot once again, in an even lower dose, maybe 1 mg or so. Or maybe not, as it made me quite miserable.
Anyway, for what it's worth, the substances that have helped me the most with attention and motivation as well as cognition are, not surprisingly I guess, modafinil, nicotine and NRI's, although the latter ones are a no-no as they worsen my Asperger. Would like to add bupropion, as it helps with both ADHD and depression, but unfortunately I find it too anti-cholinergic.
My vote goes for modafinil, although I only use it for studying as the GABA-antagonism gets more and more profound with use. The crash is quite unpleasant as well, although it usually don't last for very long.
Usually nicotine makes me anxious and slightly depressed but ever since starting Parnate it feels really nice :-D (just hope this will last..)

Btw, if you're worried about amphetamine and oxidative stress: take it with an MAOI :cool:

#114 Dissolvedissolve

• Topic Starter
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

I would start with MPH simply because the side effects are generally manageable, it's not neurotoxic (which is a somewhat of a concern with AMP) and relatively easy to get on/off (clearly not the case with Pramipexole).

Exactly. I'd definitely start with MPH if that's an option. I don't know where to slot d-amp in the order since it's extremely likely to work but also potentially slightly dangerous in the long run.

DissolveDissolve: Interesting posts! :) That study seems in line with my observations of how I react to different dopaminergic substances.
I have ADHD, Asperger and atypical depression as well as problems clearly related to the glutaminergic system. Although amphetamine gets me going and helps with focus it definitely worsens my cognition in several aspects and makes me a tad psychotic. I've tried to combine it with low doses of aripiprazole and risperidone without any success, all they seemed to do was to make the amphetamine useless. Aripiprazole not so much though and I may give it a shot once again, in an even lower dose, maybe 1 mg or so. Or maybe not, as it made me quite miserable.
Anyway, for what it's worth, the substances that have helped me the most with attention and motivation as well as cognition are, not surprisingly I guess, modafinil, nicotine and NRI's, although the latter ones are a no-no as they worsen my Asperger. Would like to add bupropion, as it helps with both ADHD and depression, but unfortunately I find it too anti-cholinergic.
My vote goes for modafinil, although I only use it for studying as the GABA-antagonism gets more and more profound with use. The crash is quite unpleasant as well, although it usually don't last for very long.
Usually nicotine makes me anxious and slightly depressed but ever since starting Parnate it feels really nice :-D (just hope this will last..)

Btw, if you're worried about amphetamine and oxidative stress: take it with an MAOI :cool:

Thanks :) Hopefully they're interesting/informative/useful.

Aripiprazole is a very interesting chemical. I haven't heard of it being useful for anhedonia, but D2 agonism in an antipsychotic is quite interesting. I suppose that perhaps the D2 agonist effects decrease endogenous DA release? Or perhaps its effects are mediated moreso by 5-HT2a antagonism?

I do like nicotine for improving focus and motivation, although it's quite short-lasting (I have nicotine gum), so I don't really consider it "therapeutic."

I'm wondering what you mean when you say you find bupropion too "anti-cholinergic." Obviously, it's a nicotinic ACh antagonist, but what effects does this cause that bother you? I've primarily heard complaints from excessive NE activity with bupropion - ie anxiety, accelerated HR.

I just began experimenting with armodafinil a few weeks ago. I found 75 mg pretty useless (I literally could've fallen asleep just a few hours after dosing), 150 mg pretty strong and vaguely stimulant-like, and I've taken 112.5 mg today and find it useful, although I'll probably stick with 150 mg in the future. I guess it's useful in the sense that it can get rid of my tendency to sleep excessively (9 hours is my average, but I can sleep 11+ if I don't set an alarm). And it mildly improves focus and motivation. I don't know if it makes things more interesting or if I'd consider it "therapeutic," but I'll certainly continue to use it intermittently.

--

Oh, and by the way, yes pramipexole does have effects on serotonin. The long-term effect is to increase DA and 5-HT signalling and decrease adrenergic signalling.

Edited by Dissolvedissolve, 02 January 2013 - 08:03 PM.

#115 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Aside of the NE mediated anxiety and in my case, pure O side effects, I have the suspicion that acute Bupropion also worsened my memory at the time, so it could be anti cholinergic. I say suspicion because it could equally have been the drinking in all the parties I went to at the time, but compared to other periods of heavy drinking the effects indeed were striking.

Now if someone could convince my shrink to let me try MPH....

Edited by nupi, 02 January 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#116 Dissolvedissolve

• Topic Starter
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Aside of the NE mediated anxiety and in my case, pure O side effects, I have the suspicion that acute Bupropion also worsened my memory at the time, so it could be anti cholinergic. I say suspicion because it could equally have been the drinking in all the parties I went to at the time, but compared to other periods of heavy drinking the effects indeed were striking.

Now if someone could convince my shrink to let me try MPH....

I don't know if you read my above post, but it's well-established that bupropion is a nicotinic acetylcholine antagonist - thus the use for smoking cessation.

--

I came across a claim that 5-HT2a agonism causes DA release and synthesis. Of course, classical psychedelics are the most famous 5-HT2a agonists, and many report abolishing of anhedonia with them. Anyway, that's just a mechanism, since low-dose psychedelics aren't really an option in the current medical landscape.

Considerable evidence suggests that a dysfunction of the dopamine and serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine or 5-HT) neurotransmitter systems contributes to a diverse range of pathological conditions including schizophrenia, depression and drug abuse. Recent electrophysiological and behavioral studies suggest that 5-HT modulates dopaminergic neurons in the ventral tegmental area via activation of 5-HT(2A) receptors. It is currently unknown if 5-HT(2A) receptors mediate their actions on dopaminergic neurons in the ventral tegmental area via direct or indirect mechanisms. This study investigated whether 5-HT(2A) receptors were localized on dopamine cells within the A10 dopamine subnuclei of the rat, including the ventral tegmental area. We discovered that 5-HT(2A) receptor-like immunoreactivity colocalized with tyrosine hydroxylase, a marker for dopamine neurons, throughout the A10 dopamine cell population. Colocalization was most prominent in rostral and mid A10 regions, including the paranigral, parabrachial, and interfascicular subnuclei. Though more rare, non-dopaminergic neurons also expressed 5-HT(2A) receptor immunoreactivity in the ventral tegmental area. Additionally, although a dense population of 5-HT(2A) immunoreactive cells was observed in the rostral dorsal raphe nucleus, rarely were these cells immunoreactive for tyrosine hydroxylase. The linear raphe A10 dopamine subdivisions also displayed a low degree of 5-HT(2A) receptor and tyrosine hydroxylase colocalization.These findings provide an anatomical basis for the physiological modulation of dopamine neurons in the rostral ventral tegmental area either directly, by 5-HT(2A) receptors localized on dopamine cells, or indirectly, through a non-dopaminergic mechanism. Interestingly, 5-HT(2A) receptors were expressed on dopamine neurons in several A10 subnuclei that project to mesolimbic forebrain regions implicated in drug addiction, and recent evidence indicates that ventral tegmental area 5-HT(2A) receptor activation may modulate reward-related behavior in rodents. 5-HT(2A) receptors were also expressed on dopamine cells in A10 subnuclei that project to forebrain areas that have been implicated in schizophrenia, and atypical antipsychotic drugs have high affinities for 5-HT(2A) receptors. Thus, findings in this study could have important implications for understanding 5-HT and dopamine circuitry dysfunction in schizophrenia.

→ source (external link)

---

The idea that Prozac (i.e. fluoxetine) would not be a potent 5HT2c-antagonist is based on a misunderstanding. The Ki values are misleading, because serotonin reuptake inhibition and 5HT2C-antagonism cannot be compared equally. Serotonin receptors have to be (nearly) saturated by a reuptake blocking molecule for SRI to reach clinical significance. 5HT2C receptors, on the other hand, only need a little antagonism to result in significant effects (boosted dopamine and noradrenaline, basically). So you can't compare the Ki values on an equal par at all.
The most informative study on the difference between the two mechanisms that I could find on the web is this: http://www.pnas.org/...5/2036.full.pdf
A quote: 'So far, the therapeutic effects of fluoxetine have been attributed primarily to its inhibition of 5HT transporters. Interestingly, it has been shown that the therapeutic plasma concentration of fluoxetine is in the micromolar range, and our studies show that, at this concentration range, fluoxetine can potently inhibit the membrane current responses mediated by 5HT2C receptors. Moreover, the affinity of fluoxetine for 5HT2C receptors (Ki 5 65 nM) is close to its affinity for 5HT transporters (Ki 5 33 nM) (29), which is also well below the therapeutic plasma concentration of fluoxetine. Thus, some therapeutic effects of fluoxetine may be a consequence of blocking both 5HT transporters and 5HT2C receptors. It should be noted that the blockage of 5HT transporters and that of 5HT2C receptors would have opposing actions on serotonergic synaptic transmission. (.....) Because of the highly nonlinear dose/response relationship of 5HT2C receptors the blockage of even a small number of receptors in a cell would lead to very profound changes (.....)'.

That's from a discussion here: http://www.dr-bob.or...609.html#931609

So a potential route is using just 2.5-5 mg of fluoxetine to cause 5-HT2c antagonism and increased DA release. This should avoid any substantial SSRI-action and its accompanying mood-dulling and sexual side-effects.

Fluoxetine is an interesting option since it's pretty easy to acquire, probably as easy as bupropion. I'm not claiming it would necessarily work, just that it's an interesting idea. I think someone (nupi?) reported a positive experience with fluoxetine a while back.

Edited by Dissolvedissolve, 03 January 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#117 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

In my case it was 20mg (now 30mg just to see if there is a difference, if there is, it is slight, it seems a bit more consistent but then again the past 2 weeks I was on holidays which removes some of the usual stressors. Although in fairness, I was never bothered by Xmas as little as this year, so even there, it did some good things). Initially, it was absolutely magic, it did everything an SSRI is supposed not to do:
* Increased energy
* some confidence to push back on unreasonable requests
* Increased libido (my baseline is low but it definitely pushed it over it)
IOW, it might have dipped me slightly into hypomania (minus the reduced need for sleep/risk seeking). A nice experience, in any case. That has subsided a bit (which may be good, because it did not feel sustainable :-) but at very least the mood boost remains.

It remains a sort of two edged sword when it comes to anhedonia and motivation. I enjoy music greatly (but that was true on Escitalopram and even Bacopa as well) and it seems like it gives me motivation to pursue stuff I am inherently motivated to do (like working out and adopting a diet suited to gaining weight) but less so to do stuff that was previously either driven by anxiety or prevented by avoidance. The anxiety is lower (which is good) but the avoidance remains.

On the anhedonia front, it seems a bit hard to judge. There's definitely the music part which is better on any serotonergic, it also seems to give me some empathy but curing my overall can't be bothered to seek pleasure nature is not fully addressed.

As for side effects, it does have some sexual side effects (in my case, mainly delayed orgasms but I can see how it could cause erectile dysfunction in some) but other than itchy skin for two or three days in the very beginning, side effects were mild in my case. It has one very interesting side effect that it makes me much more sensible to caffeine - I used not to feel it much (if at all) whereas now I actually get high for two to three hours from the first espresso shots of the day!

In sum, it definitely helps my case, but I still want a dopaminergic to try and get over that wall of avoidance of mine. I think I can deal with the anhedonia, otherwise.

If anyone has specific questions, shoot :)

Edited by nupi, 03 January 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#118 Dissolvedissolve

• Topic Starter
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Interesting post. I can identify with cessation of anxiety being in some ways inconvenient. When I started working out, meditating, and correcting cognitive issues around 1.5 years ago, my anxiety dropped from slightly elevated to quite minimal, but there was a corresponding loss in "negative motivation" or fear of negative consequences.

I believe the 5-HT2c mechanism is immediate, which suggests that those mild hypomanic symptoms you mentioned may be due to that mechanism. SSRIs are known to induce hypomania, though, so that's pure speculation on my part.

I'm wondering if you noticed any increased serotonergic effects on 30 mg vs. 20. So things like a reduction in anxiety, mood flattening, increased regularity or need for sleep, increased appetite. I would expect that the dose increase would likely worsen anhedonia.

I'm not sure to what extent you have comorbid mood or anxiety issues, but perhaps you could tweak just how much 5-HT2c antagonism vs. SERT inhibition you're getting. For instance, some have reported reduced side-effects at 10 mg without a significant reduction in antidepressant efficacy.

#119 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Thanks :) Hopefully they're interesting/informative/useful.

Aripiprazole is a very interesting chemical. I haven't heard of it being useful for anhedonia, but D2 agonism in an antipsychotic is quite interesting. I suppose that perhaps the D2 agonist effects decrease endogenous DA release? Or perhaps its effects are mediated moreso by 5-HT2a antagonism?

They claim it to be able to act on D2 as both an agonist and an antagonist, but I think that's just another way of saying that it's not a full antagonist. It surely doesn't feel like a D2 agonist in any way. IIRC, 5HT2a antagonism is antidopaminergic, although it increases tonic dopaminergic tone in the PFC.

I do like nicotine for improving focus and motivation, although it's quite short-lasting (I have nicotine gum), so I don't really consider it "therapeutic."

I'm wondering what you mean when you say you find bupropion too "anti-cholinergic." Obviously, it's a nicotinic ACh antagonist, but what effects does this cause that bother you? I've primarily heard complaints from excessive NE activity with bupropion - ie anxiety, accelerated HR.

Well I like how it makes me feel, no doubt about that! At least in the beginning, I'm not sure I tolerate it as well in the long run. It seems to make me somewhat hypervigilant and emotionally dulled.. I do wonder if this emotional dullness is due to its interaction with 5HT1a, as I seem to react in the opposite way in the beginning of treatment. Just like with every other damn med! :sad: I respond in the same way to SSRI's and MAOI's, so 5HT1a autoreceptor downregulation could be the reason why. I'm not sure if I'm better off with or without it moodwise.
What's making it totally unsupportable though is the nicotinic antagonistic properties you mention. I don't notice this at all at 150 mg, at that dose it enhances my cognition, but at 300 mg I'm never as sharp as I am on other noradrenergic drugs. Most noticeable is how it wrecks my short term memory.

I've tried adding 1,25 mg doses of aripiprazole for two days now but I'll have to stop it as it's giving me akathisia even at this small a dose, just like every other 5HT2c antagonist have done (agomelatine, mirtazapine, risperidone etc).
I really want to see how I respond to 5HT1a agonism though so I'm thinking of trying a low dose of buspirone. Just hope its noradrenergic metabolite won't go badly with Parnate..

I just began experimenting with armodafinil a few weeks ago. I found 75 mg pretty useless (I literally could've fallen asleep just a few hours after dosing), 150 mg pretty strong and vaguely stimulant-like, and I've taken 112.5 mg today and find it useful, although I'll probably stick with 150 mg in the future. I guess it's useful in the sense that it can get rid of my tendency to sleep excessively (9 hours is my average, but I can sleep 11+ if I don't set an alarm). And it mildly improves focus and motivation. I don't know if it makes things more interesting or if I'd consider it "therapeutic," but I'll certainly continue to use it intermittently.

Hm, if you've had the chance to try modafinil, do you find armodafinil is better in any way in terms of efficacity? Or side-effects?

Edited by lourdaud, 04 January 2013 - 07:43 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#120 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

I believe the hypomania was not 5HT mediated - in any case, I never got it with Escitalopram or Cymbalta. I suspect it could have been a dopaminergic thing but it's hard to know.

I do have mood issues that I wanted to address with 30mg and while mood seems to be more stable now, the real test will be when I get back to work next week. Being in decent mood when you can spend all day doing nothing is not that hard (although without SSRI, that would probably depress me more than anything). Appetite might have increased a bit but I am actually quite satisfied with that as I want to put on another 10 pounds of muscle and I gained mainly lean mass so far (but my diet is adapted to that, as is my training regime - essentially compound exercise HIT).

The motivation part is a bit of an issue but maybe I can cajole my shrink into letting me try MPH next week...

Edited by nupi, 04 January 2013 - 06:58 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anhedonia, motivation, depression, adhd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users