• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Concerns in mixing my beginner's Nootropic stack and antihistamines/anticholinergics for allergies

nootropic antihistamine anticholinergic concern danger mix

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 IThrowShoes

• 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

Greetings,

I have posted in the past regarding this topic [link: http://www.longecity...ine-supplement/ ], but wanted to retry the topic to see if I could get some further clarification.

I am currently taking a beginners Nootropic stack, consisting of the following supplements/vitamins daily:

Piracetam: 600mg
ALCAR: 100mg
Citicoline: 75mg
Theanine: 200mg
Inositol: 1950mg

Miscellaneous:
Vitamin D: 1000 IU
Fish Oil: 1280mg (via Nordic Naturals Ultimate)
Multivitamin when I remember

Granted, this stack does not consist of higher numbers of anything. I decided to start slow and build it up, as I get a bit hesitant when it comes to mixing supplements and medications.

The reason for the antihistamine / anticholine concern is the fact that I will need to take an antihistamine for allergies in the upcoming week while I am staying away at my mothers house for Christmas. There's something in her house that gets me sneezing with watery eyes pretty bad. Disregarding the source of my allergies, I took Benadryl at a lower dose while there for Thanksgiving which provided quite a bit of relief. I tried Claritin before I tried the Benadryl, but it seemed to be ineffective. However, I only took the Claritin for two days and my understanding is that it takes a few days for it to "build up" in the system.

So my question: Given what I am taking now, do you believe it's safe to add in Benadryl or Claritin (or possibly Allegra if I decide to try something new) while remaining on this stack? It's completely possible that I can give up the Nootropics for a short time if the combination proves dangerous, but the anxiolytic effects of my current stack (by the way, I have generalized anxiety disorder) have proven quite useful recently.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Raza

• 454 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

I've taken antihistamine/anticholinergics as sleeping aids for nights following nootropic use before with no apparent interaction - other than that the activity of anticholinergics counteracts cholinergics that work on acetylcholine, obviously.

But maybe try quercetin for your allergies? That doesn't mess with your choline.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 IThrowShoes

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

I've taken antihistamine/anticholinergics as sleeping aids for nights following nootropic use before with no apparent interaction - other than that the activity of anticholinergics counteracts cholinergics that work on acetylcholine, obviously.

But maybe try quercetin for your allergies? That doesn't mess with your choline.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I just was not sure if the combination would produce toxicity as a result of choline buildup, leave me feeling sick (emetophobe here) or feel nothing at all. Ill be the first to admit that I don't know enough about these systems in the body, which is why I was hoping someone here might have an answer.

Realistically, I would prefer to use a second or third generation antihistamine which, from what I have read, has little-to-no anticholinergic effects. However, Benadryl outright kicked the crap out of my allergies last time but left me feeling like an apathetic zombie all day. I think I recall reading that someone used Piracetam to counteract Benadryl's brainfog, but they did not say how long they were doing this. One night/day of mixing the two might be OK, but it's hard to say how it would affect someone over the course of a week or two followed by a sudden stop in taking the antihistamines/anticholinergics.

Another alternative is to hold back on my Citicoline while taking the antihistamines. Thus far, I've only been using the Citicoline as a preventative measure against possible Piracetam-induced headaches, but I have never taken the Piracetam without the choline source.

I've never heard of quercetin before, but I'll do some research on it tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Mishael

• 139 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Vitamin C and butterbur (herb) are the only natural antihistamines I know that may not affect those systems you mentioned.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropic, antihistamine, anticholinergic, concern, danger, mix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users