Should fish oil make you sleepy?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 knightly

• 75 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

Same here, it's only the oil ones,

BUT at the same time:
If I take them before bed then I can't get to sleep sometimes. (but melatonin covers that).

Other than that:
Maybe is it the Vitamin E/A or Omega 6/9's in the Supplement?

and not just tired, it makes you feel very strange, like what your seeing is all too much.

but maybe there is some other reason?

#32 Mr Serendipity

• 979 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:53 PM

Fish Oil lowers cortisol. Hence why you feel sleepy or drowsy.

• Needs references x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Chris_T_Malta

• 87 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:39 AM

I use the 330mg:220mg (EPA-DHA) supplement (with 10mg of Vitamin E) and I feel sleepy whenever I take them.

I actually never expected fishoils to affect me in this way. 

Maybe it's the brand but some users before me posted the same reaction with different brands so there must be a reason.

I eat a lot of canned tuna in oil - maybe that affects.  I am considering getting an only EPA supplement since in another thread I read that's the useful part.

#34 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:50 AM

I notice very obvious effects towards stronger visual connection when taking Omega 3 Epa 500 DHA 70 fish oil capsules.  If I am watching a tv show I start to feel more ''connected'' to the program within 30-60 minutes. This effect lasts for at least 3+ hours. There is also some mood elevation at the 1 hour mark. Additionally some visual sharpness as normally my vision is slightly blurry.  At 2-3 hours though my vision gets blurrier and colors become less saturated.  I also notice rapidly after initial Omega dose that I become more sleepy too. Likely from Blood sugar flux or something else.  The dulling of colors is something caused to me by other hypoglycemic supplements such as ginsengs and rhodiola. 

What alternatives might there be over Omega 3 epa?  Because I notice my short term memory is pretty horrible while on it. Which is unfortunate because Omega does a few things right and a few things very wrong. 

Perhaps some uridine added in?   But what else might be a viable combo?

I been struggling so much with having any ability to feel involved or engaged in tv shows or any forms of media due to strong anhedonia, poor motivation, poor interest, poor pleasure etc. Omega helps temporarily but the tiredness is grueling and the general dulling feeling I get are contradictory to some of the benefits. 

Also I end up feeling some pains in my neck after a few days likely due to blood thinning. And the mood benefits are less pronounced as days go on and the dulling from expected blood sugar fluctuations really adds up to hit me hard. I have enough trouble thinking.

Edited by AlexCanada, 15 December 2015 - 09:52 AM.

#35 Busyboy

• 58 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:47 PM

I noticed I get tired when I take fish oil during the day, so I now take it before bed. The first week I took it before bed, I had some really vivid dreams. Dissipated after thought, but during the day I feel a slight cognitive boost.

#36 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:19 AM

Most people have an imbalanced oil ratio in their diets and blood to. Phosphotidyl Choline works at helping the balance improve. The hormone Insulin gets repelled, by those high doses, and can not allow the cell to feed on sugars. The effect is usually global atrophy of energy production, you can get into trouble sooner and later there are many factors. You will most probably welcome a parasite or two!
Omega oils have many benefits and are essential, some people tolerate high doses, some people can't notice a symptom. Head aches may be sign of an amino acid deficiency, because the oil is part of the bodies structure, amino acids are used up. A poor liver will slow growth, but without suitable amino acids substitues are found. The tissue will be made weaker, and prone to some parasite attacks. Vitamin E will protect cells, Gamma E is superior and can cause a mild Herxheimer reaction. Even Tocopherols need balance, supplement Wisley by watching symptoms. Chapped lips is a vitamin A deficiency, Zinc is needed for it's absorbtion into the body. Almond oil has some Zinc activity. Theres a multitude of enzymes that are involved in the formation of Collagen these enzymes rely on Molybdenum, Zinc, Selenium, to catalyse there effects on tissue repair/growth. All minerals are important somehow, and balance can be as problematic as any natural order. Alkali balance to Acid is particularly important and should be gained through exercise, breathing, and vegetable whole foods. Silica is vital for correct mineral loads, it has to be respected with weeks off occasionally when using regularly. Most people should watchout for symptoms, you wouldn't walk about with cracked lips buying chap sticks,etc when all you had to do was take a few Zinc tablets and maybe a few vitamin E caps. Easy.
Taking supplements is a person political statement, try to eat food that makes you feel better the next day and notice yourself feel better than yesterday. Read that last bit again please. Once in control of your health you'll feel content, that's the path to happiness. Social harmony is possible with ones peers, Niacinomide production/intake can be hampered within the body, its supplementation ensurses 'realistic' mid brain function, just watch phosphate containing Vitamins/oils for there acid forming pesence in the body. Remember green vegatables.

#37 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

The only condition I know where you get tired after Omega-3s (alpha-linolenic acid, eicosapentaenoic acid) is Pyrroluria. I also get tired from spinach and Astaxanthin (and pretty much everything that contains ALA).

Anecdotal reports on the web have suggested that ‘pyrolurics’ should not be given fish oils as it can precipitate a worsening of symptoms. In our extensive experience (over 800 patients to date) in testing red-cell zinc and red-cell essential fatty acids of children and adults with disruptive and/or psychotic behaviours, pyroluria is associated with chronically very low red-cell zinc, and often very low docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and/or arachidonic acid (AA). Note that zinc is an essential cofactor of delta-6-desaturase needed for converting alpha–linolenic acid and linoleic acid to AA and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) respectively. Since EPA suppresses the action of AA, supplementation with high-EPA fish oils suppresses AA and may cause a disruption in the structure of cell membranes subserved by AA. Hence a red-cell essential fatty acids analysis [see JCM 2008;7(3):41–2] is recommended prior to commencing fish oils as part of a therapeutic program. 

Kryptopyrrole or mauve? (PDF Download Available). Available from: https://www.research...yrrole_or_mauve [accessed Aug 27, 2017].

#38 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:54 PM

It's acetylcholine for heaven's sake. You are speculating over the most irrelevant thing. High acetylcholine can cause drowsiness.

• Needs references x 1

#39 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:08 PM

I made a fatty acid profile at my doctor.

Everything after the delta-6-desaturase is very low (except for GLA, but that's most likely because of the borage oil capsules I take).

So it looks like a heavy D6D deficiency.

But why does the EPA and DHA put me into a coma some hours after taking it instead of making me feel better because of the huge deficiency in O3s.

The report is attached.

Everybody who gets tired after taking EPA/DHA please make a fatty acid profile so we can compare.

Attached Files

#40 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:21 PM

I took the following oils for a month:

2 tablespoons of flax seed oil

1 teaspoon of Norsan algae oil (2000 mg, about 716mg EPA and 1176mg DHA)

2 capsules of Fairvital borage oil (2x 500 mg borage oil = 180 mg GLA)

2 capsules of Molecular Nutrition arachidonic acid (2x 250 mg = 500 mg AA)

1 capsule of Deva CLA (770 mg safflower oil = 600 mg CLA)

Then I got my fatty acids tested again (although a different lab, hence the differing reference ranges). See attached report.

The high EPA and DHA values proof that we don't need fish as food or oil for supplements and can go directly to the source (because fish also get it from the algae). This is important for longevity as animal products will shorten your life (cholesterol, saturated fats, trans fats, heme iron etc.).

In the low normal GLA you see that it would be deficient without supplementation.

In the low DGLA you see that it was only the AA supplementation that raised AA to high normal because DGLA is the precursor to AA.

Sadly the value of stearidonic acid (SDA) 18:4 (n-3) was not measured. I bet it is also very low. That would prove my suspicion that something is wrong with my delta-6-desaturase enzyme.

Next thing I'm gonna try is to do a 23andMe test to see if I have a mutation in the FADS2 gene.

Here's an study about that topic:

http://ajcn.nutritio...t/85/2/554.full

Here's another interesting article about the FADS2 mutation (in German):

http://www.zeit.de/z...aehrung/seite-3

Attached Files

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#41 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:40 PM

To Post topic: No

1. Make sure you buy a good brand that's been tested by someone like labdor or consumer labs, Viva Naturals is probably the best there is for the U.S. Don't buy crappy fish oil.

2. Make sure you always immediately refrigerate. Most stores don't keep it stored well or properly refrigerated, I think if you buy from Amazon it might come from a cool storage facility but maybe not. However, it's been tested as fresh and of good quality so I assume it's good to just buy and then begin refrigerating. 

3. As others have said, peroxidation is an issue, you don't have to go nuts on anti-oxidants though. Some oxidation is good. I only take E and C during my fusion cycle (3 to 4 days a week max) E can be bad if it doesn't include gamma and it's not good to take E or C if you're exercising that day, not till a couple hrs after exercise. However, EGCG on an empty stomach may be good enough.

4. There is more on fish oil on Rhonda Patrick's youtube channel.

Edited by Nate-2004, 27 October 2017 - 02:51 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#42 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:57 PM

Already been discussed many times on Longecity. Fish oil increases acetylcholine and that can cause drowsiness, depression and all sorts of side-effects. It's common.

• Needs references x 3

#43 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:55 PM

Already been discussed many times on Longecity. Fish oil increases acetylcholine and that can cause drowsiness, depression and all sorts of side-effects. It's common.

Actually this is a hypothesis floating around the internet and I've yet to see references, even so it only occurs (and rarely) in people with already high acetylcholine levels. For most people it's an effective tool in the arsenal against depression due to its anti-inflammatory effects in the brain.

• Agree x 2

#44 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:26 PM

Maybe the guys are right about the acetylcholine.

Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1997 Dec;58(4):1123-9.

Dietary docosahexaenoic acid increases cerebral acetylcholine levels and improves passive avoidance performance in stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats.

Minami M1, Kimura S, Endo T, Hamaue N, Hirafuji M, Togashi H, Matsumoto M, Yoshioka M, Saito H, Watanabe S, Kobayashi T, Okuyama H.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/9408223

In the last time I took ALCAR, DMAE and Carnosine as an anti-aging regimen (I don't know if Jon Barron invented this combination but I learned it on his site, he's almost 70 and looks great).

I knew that DMAE is an acetylcholine precursor but I didn't know about the effect of ALCAR on acetylcholine.

Brain Res. 1994 Jan 7;633(1-2):77-82.

Acetyl-L-carnitine treatment increases choline acetyltransferase activity and NGF levels in the CNS of adult rats following total fimbria-fornix transection.

Piovesan P1, Pacifici L, Taglialatela G, Ramacci MT, Angelucci L.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/8137174

I also took Alpha-GPC, CDP-Choline and Centrophenoxine alternating. When they were empty I tried Choline Bitartrate. And, like I already mentioned, I took the algae oil.

I never suspected ALCAR for the coma effect, but it has the biggest effect on me I think.

I also got ice cold hands and feet over the last 2 years (even in summer) and a big cold intolerance in the winter.

The effects on thermoregulation of intracerebroventricular injections of acetylcholine, pilocarpine, physostigmine, atropine and hemicholinium in the rat

M.T.LinH.C.WangA.Chandra
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China

https://www.scienced...028390880900271

Some anecdotal story:

When I was at the dermatologist for removal of moles/warts in my face several years ago (before I even took all these supplements) I got a Botox injection all over my face next to each mole/wart.

When I asked him what they were injecting me in the face and they said it is Botox I thought it was a joke because I didn't order a facelift  :laugh: but it seems to be used as an anesthetic for laser treatments.

Anyway when the dermatologist started to use the laser on my face I told him I can feel almost everything. He was confused and was kinda angry at the young assistant lady who did the injections on me and gave me a second round.

I didn't say anything after it but I could still feel like 80% of the laser on my skin.

Later I thought about if I probably have a Botox tolerance. Only recently I looked at Botox again and found out how it works:

Mechanism of Action

Botulinum toxin acts by binding presynaptically to high-affinity recognition sites on the cholinergic nerve terminals and decreasing the release of acetylcholine, causing a neuromuscular blocking effect. This mechanism laid the foundation for the development of the toxin as a therapeutic tool.

https://emedicine.me...451-overview#a3

So doesn't that mean I have too many acetylcholine receptors or too much acetylcholine?

Another anecdote:

In gym class I never tended to sweat, while other kids were like soaking wet I was just steaming hot. After puberty I think I only sweat in the crotch/butt crack lol.

I always wondered why people get huge wet spots under their arms because I never got them no matter how warm. Only recently I got these spots (mostly when nervous = adrenergic) which are very annoying. :blush:

That's probably why my skin is so bad and clogged and why I feel so toxic.

Unsurprisingly the eccrine sweat glands are innervated by the sympathetic nervous system and the fibers are cholinergic unlike the apocrine sweat gland which are sensitive to adrenaline.

Review Article
A short history of sweat gland biology

K. Wilke, A. Martin, L. Terstegen and S. S. Biel
Beiersdorf AG, Hamburg, Germany

(I couldn't quote this because it said "You have posted more than the allowed number of quoted blocks of text", funny)
http://onlinelibrary...007.00387.x/pdf

I'm a (selective) mutist and I think the reason is a mercury deposition in my cerebellum because my mother had like a dozen amalgam fillings in her mouth when she was pregnant.

J Biomed Phys Eng. 2016 Mar 1;6(1):41-6. eCollection 2016 Mar.

Increased Release of Mercury from Dental Amalgam Fillings due to Maternal Exposure to Electromagnetic Fields as a Possible Mechanism for the High Rates of Autism in the Offspring: Introducing a Hypothesis.

Mortazavi G1, Haghani M2, Rastegarian N3, Zarei S3, Mortazavi SM4.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/27026954

The Cerebellum
September 2007, Volume 6, Issue 3, pp 202–213 | Cite as

The contribution of the cerebellum to speech production and speech perception: Clinical and functional imaging data

J Korean Neurosurg Soc. 2017 May;60(3):367-370. doi: 10.3340/jkns.2014.0709.001. Epub 2017 May 1.

Remote Cerebellar Hemorrhage Presenting with Cerebellar Mutism after Spinal Surgery: An Unusual Case Report.

Sen HM1, Guven M2, Aras AB2, Cosar M2.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/28490165

(just to prove that physical damage can cause mutism and my theory is that deposited mercury can cause a similar while probably reversible damage)

And of course we have another link to acetylcholine as mercury and other heavy metals lower the function of the enzyme acetylcholinesterase which results in an increased level of acetylcholine. Maybe autists have an even greater amount of ACh in very specific parts of the brain and that's why they so intelligent in certain tasks.

Folia Haematol Int Mag Klin Morphol Blutforsch. 1984;111(5):632-7.

Effects of mercury on acetylcholinesterase (E.C. 3.1.1.7.) activity of erythrocytes and bone marrow in rats.

Miszta H.

Enzymes of the Cholinesterase Family pp 369-374

Inhibition of Fish Brain Acetylcholinesterase by Cadmium and Mercury

Also the ever rising amount of pesticides in our foods could also cause a defect of the acetylcholinesterase, leading to low dopamine from the high acetylcholine, creating a generation of depressed/anhedonic autists and ADHD kids.

Lancet. 2008 Feb 16; 371(9612): 597–607.

Management of acute organophosphorus pesticide poisoning

Michael Eddleston,a,b,d,* Nick A Buckley,b,e Peter Eyer,b,f and Andrew H Dawsonb,c

Stephanie Seneff, PhD,

Glyphosate and Autism Slides presented at the Peoples' Assembly meeting in The Hague, Netherlands, October 14, 2016.

I wonder if my new regimen of Iron bisglycinate, Piracetam and Phosphatidyl-Serine gave me the motivation to write this. :happy:
Hopefully it can also fix my nervous system problems.

• Informative x 2

#45 Charles Thompson

• 67 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:59 AM

Never done that to me, that’s for sure
  • Agree x 1

#46 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

In the last time I took ALCAR, DMAE and Carnosine as an anti-aging regimen (I don't know if Jon Barron invented this combination but I learned it on his site, he's almost 70 and looks great).
 I knew that DMAE is an acetylcholine precursor but I didn't know about the effect of ALCAR on acetylcholine.

I also took Alpha-GPC, CDP-Choline and Centrophenoxine alternating. When they were empty I tried Choline Bitartrate. And, like I already mentioned, I took the algae oil.
 I never suspected ALCAR for the coma effect, but it has the biggest effect on me I think.

Acetylcholine significantly elevates the iq of the individual if given early enough in life (during a specific period of pregnancy). It is very important for brain function and development and even in spite the side-effects of elevating it, it still could be doing wonders for the brain in terms of its functioning. Therefore it wouldn't be smart to try to reduce it.

Things that reduce acetylcholine tend to cause cognitive issues and also issues with certain organs like the heart.

Edited by Believer, 21 November 2017 - 01:50 PM.

• Needs references x 1

#47 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:43 PM

Found another connection that makes sense now.

This is a picture of the affected muscles in Myasthenia Gravis:

Attached File  Overview-body_MG-front.jpg   102.32KB   0 downloads

https://www.mda.org/...asthenia-gravis

The darker the weaker the muscles.

As a kid I often had obsessive nervous convulsions in the face exactly in these dark red muscles. And my neck muscles were extremely stiff (I think they're a bit softer now).

The acetylcholine is the neurotransmitter that causes the muscle to contract:

Attached File  Causes-MG_ACh-nervecell.jpg   136.4KB   0 downloads

https://www.mda.org/...ses-inheritance

It is the exact opposite of MG, the muscles seem permanently excited. Maybe that's why I already started to get crow's feet in my late 20s.

Over the last year I also experienced uncontrollable muscle twitches all over the body, mostly in the legs and arms. I suspected Lyme disease but the results were negative.

#48 coinperson

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:02 PM

Most of the posts are over my head (but I am learning and read them all).  I too get sleepy with different brands of fish oil.  In fact there are several brands of any supplement that makes my tired, but nothing more than fish oil.  I am now VERY picky about which companies I purchase my vitamins from.  I have no idea if it is from contaminants from some brands or if they just don't care about their quality, but, in general I stick to a couple of manufactures.

Originally I purchased from a Whole Foods type store, most made me sleepy.  I found that I had to buy more expensive brands (quality costs, who knew).  My EPA-DHA fish oil (and a large number of other supplements) I order from metagenics https://www.metageni...s.com/omega-3s And now, looking at amazon, I did not even realize how expensive the retail price of $37 is for 120 for the 500 series (I order directly from them because of some connections I have made over the years and I can order wholesale).  Of course you can increase your EPA-DHA count by getting the more expensive but better concentrated 720 or 1000, depending how much you want at once.  I try to get most of my vitamins from metagenics.  I have also found that Biotics https://www.bioticsresearch.com/ , Apex https://www.apexener...ne-nutritionals , and Thorne https://www.thorne.com/products agree with me.

I hope that helps someone!

Edited by coinperson, 07 December 2017 - 03:04 PM.

#49 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:27 PM

Most of the posts are over my head (but I am learning and read them all).  I too get sleepy with different brands of fish oil.  In fact there are several brands of any supplement that makes my tired, but nothing more than fish oil.  I am now VERY picky about which companies I purchase my vitamins from.  I have no idea if it is from contaminants from some brands or if they just don't care about their quality, but, in general I stick to a couple of manufactures.

Originally I purchased from a Whole Foods type store, most made me sleepy.  I found that I had to buy more expensive brands (quality costs, who knew).  My EPA-DHA fish oil (and a large number of other supplements) I order from metagenics https://www.metageni...s.com/omega-3s And now, looking at amazon, I did not even realize how expensive the retail price of $37 is for 120 for the 500 series (I order directly from them because of some connections I have made over the years and I can order wholesale).  Of course you can increase your EPA-DHA count by getting the more expensive but better concentrated 720 or 1000, depending how much you want at once.  I try to get most of my vitamins from metagenics.  I have also found that Biotics https://www.bioticsresearch.com/ , Apex https://www.apexener...ne-nutritionals , and Thorne https://www.thorne.com/products agree with me.

Believe it or not but the expensive brands may simply be oxidized, so useless because of having gone rancid, whereas the cheap supplements make you sleepy because they work.

I have noticed that cheap supplements can actually work better than expensive ones.

#50 recon

• 192 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:49 PM

I used to not get sleepy after having fish oil. However, recently I always do.

I take four capsules of Viva Naturals fish oil. That brand is rated number 2 on labdoor and is one of three, I believe, to use a patented CO2 extraction method to reduce heat and thermal decomposition during extraction.
I refrigerate them immediately after I got them delivered. I also take one capsule of Doctor’s Best tocotrienols (EVNol SupraBio) and one capsule of Swanson’s Pureway-C 1000 mg along with my fish oils.

If perixidation is the case then I have done everything I can to mitigate it. I suspect this is more than a mere case of lipid peroxidation. Again, there may be confounding factors due to the exorbitant amount of supplements I take along with it and the addition of other drugs. Previously I took high EPA form of fish oil from OmegaVia, rated about 3rd on labdoor and also uses the patented extraction method.

This post may not help much in the discussion but serves to support the notion that such sleepiness may occur.
  • Informative x 1

#51 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:55 PM

Believe it or not but the expensive brands may simply be oxidized, so useless because of having gone rancid, whereas the cheap supplements make you sleepy because they work.
I have noticed that cheap supplements can actually work better than expensive ones.

Probably because the cheap supplements have a faster turn-over rate and don't sit as long on the shelves like the expensive brands because nobody buys them.

But back to the topic, I just had to test Huperzine A and it had the same effect on me as ALCAR. I also tried Saint John's Wort, because I remembered it lifted my mood some years ago (because it raises Dopamine and Serotonin). But it also had that microsleep effect.

So I looked at the relation to ACh and found this:

Neurosci Lett. 2004 Jul 8;364(3):195-8.
Stimulation of hippocampal acetylcholine release by hyperforin, a constituent of St. John's Wort.

Kiewert C1, Buchholzer ML, Hartmann J, Chatterjee SS, Klein J.
Author information
Abstract
Extracts of the medicinal plant St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum) are widely used in the therapy of affective disorders and have been reported to exert antidepressant, anxiolytic, and cognitive effects in experimental and clinical studies. We here report that hyperforin, the major active constituent of the extract, increases the release of acetylcholine from rat hippocampus in vivo as determined by microdialysis. Hippocampal acetylcholine levels were increased by 50-100% following the systemic administration of pure hyperforin at doses of 1 and 10 mg/kg. The effect was almost completely suppressed by local perfusion with calcium-free buffer or with tetrodotoxin (1 microM). We conclude that hyperforin releases hippocampal acetylcholine by an indirect mechanism of action which is calcium-dependent and requires intact neuronal communication and cell firing. Our findings suggest therapeutic efficacy of St. John's Wort extracts in central cholinergic dysfunction.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15196674

When I searched for ways to decrease ACh I found the video of this guy:

I got all the symptoms he mentions, very interesting.

Now I'm very eager to test Forskolin

• Informative x 1

#52 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:19 PM

Two days ago I took 30 mg Forskolin, unfortunately it didn't have a positive effect. Had brainfog, was lethargic and had a slight head-in-the-vise headache.

This leads me to believe that an overexpression of Choline acetyltransferase (ChAT) may be the problem.

Because Forskolin upregulates Acetylcholinesterase (AChE) which breaks down acetylcholine into acetic acid and choline.

Mol Cell Biochem. 2006 Oct;290(1-2):23-32. Epub 2006 Aug 19.

Forskolin, an inducer of cAMP, up-regulates acetylcholinesterase expression and protects against organophosphate exposure in neuro 2A cells.

Curtin BF1, Pal N, Gordon RK, Nambiar MP.

The free choline can then be combined with acetyl-CoA to form acetylcholine again by ChAT.

So my theory is that my ChAT is faster than my AChE, so it has to wait for AChE because it runs out of choline. And if you upregulate AChE now then ChAT would produce even more ACh.

#53 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

St John's Wort can cause fatigue because it stimulates serotonin receptors. The 5ht2a receptor is directly a cause of chronic fatigue syndrome. There are also other mechanisms by which it could do it. It does not have to be acetylcholine.

#54 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:29 AM

I dived into a vat of fish oil once, and I fell asleep instantly. I would have drowned had I not been a fish.

#55 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:02 PM

Took 450 mg Alpha-GPC yesterday evening, had a positive dream (still forgot it in the moment I woke up and couldn't remember it even if I thought hard), usually I have negative dreams.

Today evening I took 1000 mg Choline Bitartrate and 1000 mg Inositol.

Later I noticed that my nose was very runny and had increased mucous.

Am J Otolaryngol. 1984 Sep-Oct;5(5):334-43.

Analysis of human nasal mucous glycoproteins.

Patow CA, Shelhamer J, Marom Z, Logun C, Kaliner M.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/6208799

I just remembered that Aspirin Complex always made my nose very clear and I felt really good on it, it contains Pseudoephedrine.

Brain Res. 1996 Nov 18;740(1-2):346-52.

Block of the endplate acetylcholine receptor channel by the sympathomimetic agents ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, and albuterol.

Milone M1, Engel AG.

Have to look deeper into this connection. Sadly PE is only prescription-free here if it's combined with Cetirizine. I still got Synephrine here because I thought it could work similar to PE but it doesn't.

#56 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:32 PM

I believe the tiredness from EPA/DHA (doesn't matter if from fish oil or from algae oil) is a sign of hypothyroidism.

The strange thing is I have euthyroid values but also all signs of hypothyroidism.

My morning TSH = 1.62 mIU/L (0.27-4.20), afternoon TSH = 2.42-2.44 mIU/L (0.27-4.20), fT3 = 5.4 pmol/L (2.9-7.9) = 3.5154 pg/mL, fT4 = 19.4 pmol/L (11.6-21.9) = 1.5071 ng/dL.

Another strange thing is that my morning TSH is lower than my afternoon TSH, when it should be the opposite because TSH is supposed to be highest at night and then continually decreases throughout the day.

But I also think that I have an inverted circadian rythm, because I slept all day and was awake till about 3-4 am before I had a job.

Lipids. 1991 Oct;26(10):781-7.
Hypothyroidism and thyroxin substitution affect the n-3 fatty acid composition of rat liver mitochondria.
Raederstorff D1, Meier CA, Moser U, Walter P.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/1795599

The ratio of fT3 to fT4 seems to be a better indicator for hypothyroidism than the TSH and fT3/fT4 values itself.

Thyroid Res. 2015; 8: 10.
Published online 2015 Jul 8. doi:  10.1186/s13044-015-0023-5
PMCID: PMC4495644
The ratio of serum free triiodothyronine to free thyroxine in children: a retrospective database survey of healthy short individuals and patients with severe thyroid hypoplasia or central hypothyroidism
Yuji Oto, Koji Muroya, Junko Hanakawa, Yumi Asakura, and Masanori Adachicorresponding author

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4495644/

See Table 2, my calculated ratio is: 2.33, whereas a normal ratio is around 3.
  • Informative x 1

#57 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

I forgot to mention that I tried the antihistamines Cetirizine and Triprolidine and it seemed to improve my constipation (which I assume comes from intestinal paralysis due to high ACh) because they are anti-cholinergic.

J. Physiol. (I947) io6, 482-502 6I2 . 74I . I5

THE SMOOTH MUSCLE CONTRACTING EFFECTS OF VARIOUS SUBSTANCES SUPPOSED TO ACT ON NERVOUS STRUCTURES IN THE INTESTINAL WALL
BY N. EMMELIN AND W. FELDBERG

http://onlinelibrary...47.sp004229/pdf

Though they are not sustainable medication because they are cardiotoxic (I'm very sure I had heart pain on Triprolidine) and because they come bundled with Pseudoephedrine which is added as a sinus decongestant.

Postepy Dermatol Alergol. 2014 Jun; 31(3): 182–186.

Cardiovascular safety of antihistamines
Anna Olasińska-Wiśniewska, Jerzy Olasiński, and Stefan Graje

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4112269/

The Pseudoepehdrine probably gave me red eyes due to the vasoconstriction.

Next things I'll try are T3 (Triiodothyronine) and Fisetin.

The Fisetin I'll try because StevesPetRat mentioned it in this thread to inhibit c-Fos which upregulates AChE when activated.

http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=703694

#58 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:16 PM

After 5 months and a failed kit I received my 23andme results.

The SNP rs3834458 is T / T, so I can rule out bad conversion of EFAs to EPA, DHA, AA by impaired Δ-6-desaturase.

But I'm onto something else, mercury toxicity. I'm just reading the book "It's All in Your Head: The Link Between Mercury Amalgams and Illness" and I have a lot of the symptoms listed on one page:

Attached File  mercury_symptoms.png   255.98KB   0 downloads

All these symptoms sound very common except one which I think is rather rare: Twitching of face and other muscles.

There is also a link to pyrroles which I mentioned in an earlier post.

Attached File  mercury_porpyhrins.png   430.43KB   0 downloads

Mercury->Kryptopyrroluria

I had amalgam in my baby teeth, that's probably why I had more face twitching as a kid. Also I suspect that my mutism is due to the dozen amalgam fillings my mother had while being pregnant.

Mercury can cross the placental barrier and is found in the umbilical cord.

Environ Health Perspect. 1994 Jun-Jul; 102(6-7): 548–550.

Mercury in the Umbilical Cord: Implications for Risk Assessment for Minamata Disease.
C Dalgard, P Grandjean, PJ Jorgensen, and P Weihe

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC1569759/

"There is evidence to suggest that the body's ability to maintain neuronal plasticity when essential dietary nutrients are lacking can be additionally impaired by exposure to environmental mercury."

Behav Brain Funct. 2009; 5: 44.

Mercury exposure, nutritional deficiencies and metabolic disruptions may affect learning in children
Renee Dufault,corresponding author Roseanne Schnoll, Walter J Lukiw, Blaise LeBlanc, Charles Cornett, Lyn Patrick, David Wallinga, Steven G Gilbert, and Raquel Crider

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2773803/

Mercury inhibits a lot of enzymes by binding to their sulphur molecules in their proteins. So the inhibition of AChE may explain my sensitivity to everything that also inhibits AChE.

Journal Biomarkers Volume 10, 2005 - Issue 5

Do metals inhibit acetylcholinesterase (AChE)? Implementation of assay conditions for the use of AChE activity as a biomarker of metal toxicity
M. F. Frasco, D. Fournier, F. Carvalho & L. Guilhermino

https://www.tandfonl...547500500264660

At the moment I'm trying to increase glutathione synthesis by combining glutamic acid, glycine and cysteine and to bind mercury with humic and fulvic acid.

#59 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

In my 23andme results I saw that I had a homozygous SNP in the AOC1 gene.

rs2052129(A;A)

related to Histamine intolerance There is some evidence that this SNP significantly decreases the expression of DAO, an enzyme that breaks down histamine. Making you less able to metabolize histamine, increasing the risk of histamine intolerance.

So I thought maybe I have too much histamine because DAO doesn't break it down.

Then I tried a DAO supplement but it made me feel worse not better, I felt like demented (mixing up simple things) on it and my constipation got worse.

Histamine is important for wakefulness and it also plays a role in the motility of the intestines.

The DHA/EPA in fish/algae oil seems to be a natural antihistamine because it raises DAO activity.

J Nutr. 2012 Nov;142(11):2017-24. doi: 10.3945/jn.112.164947. Epub 2012 Sep 26.

Fish oil enhances intestinal integrity and inhibits TLR4 and NOD2 signaling pathways in weaned pigs after LPS challenge.
Liu Y1, Chen F, Odle J, Lin X, Jacobi SK, Zhu H, Wu Z, Hou Y.

If you're already low in histamines then taking fish/algae oil could explain why some people get tired from it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:14 AM

I forgot the link for the last article: https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23014495

Also another article that shows a possible connection between low histamine and narcolepsy.

Sleep. 2009 Feb 1; 32(2): 133–134.

Is Low Histamine a Fundamental Cause of Sleepiness in Narcolepsy and Idiopathic Hypersomnia?
Thomas E. Scammell, MD and Takatoshi Mochizuki, PhD

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2635574/

low histamine->consumption of DAO (e.g. from fish oil)->further reduction in histamine->narcolepsy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users