* * * * * 1 votes

Should fish oil make you sleepy?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:25 PM

Found another substance with the narcoleptic effect: Shiitake (Lentinula edodes).

Is it the immune boosting properties that causes the fatigue?

J Am Coll Nutr. 2015;34(6):478-87. doi: 10.1080/07315724.2014.950391. Epub 2015 Apr 11.

Consuming Lentinula edodes (Shiitake) Mushrooms Daily Improves Human Immunity: A Randomized Dietary Intervention in Healthy Young Adults.
Dai X, Stanilka JM1, Rowe CA, Esteves EA, Nieves C Jr, Spaiser SJ, Christman MC, Langkamp-Henken B, Percival SS.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25866155

My endocrinologist never believed me when I told her that taking Vitamin D3 makes me extremely tired. And Shiitake contains the precursor of the plant version of Vitamin D (D2, Ergocalciferol) Ergosterol.

J Agric Food Chem. 2008 May 28;56(10):3671-4. doi: 10.1021/jf073398s. Epub 2008 Apr 29.

Effect of UV-B exposure on the concentration of vitamin D2 in sliced shiitake mushroom (Lentinus edodes) and white button mushroom (Agaricus bisporus).
Ko JA, Lee BH, Lee JS, Park HJ.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/18442245

Maybe it's not the fish oil itself that causes the tiredness but the VItamin D in it, the algae oil has also added Vitamin D to emulate the fish oil.

So the underlying cause is probably a virus infection or an auto-immune disease.

Or am I maybe feeding a yeast with the Ergosterol as it is a component of their membranes.

Virulence. 2016 Aug 17;7(6):649-59. doi: 10.1080/21505594.2016.1188236. Epub 2016 May 24.

The synthesis, regulation, and functions of sterols in Candida albicans: Well-known but still lots to learn.
Lv QZ, Yan L, Jiang YY.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/27221657

But I doubt it as urine test for D-Arabinitol was negative (although there are non-producers like Candida glabrata and Candida krusei) and a stool test for Candida species was negative.

At some time I thought I had Sarcoidosis (I'm sure it's a disease that is related to a modified Tuberculosis bacteria) because that's a condition that is also worsened by Vitamin D.

#62 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:14 PM

Just so you know, I've changed to Nordic Naturals fish oil and I can take huge doses and I don't get sleepy.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:42 PM

Could the cause be mitochondrial fusion?

http://journals.plos...al.pone.0092753
  • Good Point x 1

#64 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:46 PM

Just so you know, I've changed to Nordic Naturals fish oil and I can take huge doses and I don't get sleepy.

So what's the difference between Vitamin Shoppe's liquid fish oil and Nordic Naturals fish oil?

They have both almost identical ingredients.

the Vitamin Shoppe Omega-3 Fish Oil 1500 MG - Lemon (5 Fluid Ounces Liquid):

Other Ingredients: Natural lemon flavor, rosemary extract, ascorbyl palmitate, natural tocopherols. Contains Fish (anchovy, sardine, mackerel) and soy.

(I guess the soy is because of the tocopherols)

Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega Liquid Lemon (4 Fluid Ounces Liquid):

Other Ingredients: Purified deep sea fish oil (from anchovies and sardines), natural lemon flavor, d-alpha tocopherol, rosemary extract (a natural preservative).

(it does not exclude soy on the label so the tocopherols are probably also from soy)

So the only difference is ascorbyl palmitate. But I don't think that is the causing factor. And it also can't be the fish because algae oil has the same effect.

#65 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:56 PM

So what's the difference between Vitamin Shoppe's liquid fish oil and Nordic Naturals fish oil?

They have both almost identical ingredients.

the Vitamin Shoppe Omega-3 Fish Oil 1500 MG - Lemon (5 Fluid Ounces Liquid):

Other Ingredients: Natural lemon flavor, rosemary extract, ascorbyl palmitate, natural tocopherols. Contains Fish (anchovy, sardine, mackerel) and soy.
(I guess the soy is because of the tocopherols)

Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega Liquid Lemon (4 Fluid Ounces Liquid):

Other Ingredients: Purified deep sea fish oil (from anchovies and sardines), natural lemon flavor, d-alpha tocopherol, rosemary extract (a natural preservative).
(it does not exclude soy on the label so the tocopherols are probably also from soy)

So the only difference is ascorbyl palmitate. But I don't think that is the causing factor. And it also can't be the fish because algae oil has the same effect.

What is the comparison between the DHA and most importantly EPA content of the two?

Also, palmitate can cause mito fission, so this could be the reason.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...ubmed/28753206/

#66 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:48 AM

Maybe it's not the fish oil itself that causes the tiredness but the VItamin D in it, the algae oil has also added Vitamin D to emulate the fish oil.

I mixed up fish oil with cod liver oil, fish oil has 0 Vitamin D (I asked Vitamin Shoppe and Nordic Naturals and they confirmed there is no Vitamin D because of the filtering).

So Vitamin D isn't probably a factor.

But I found out that DIM (Dindolylmethane) makes me super sick. That's most likely because DIM raises the expression of Nrf2, which in turn activates a lot of detox enzymes like glutathione S-transferase (GST) and UDP-glucuronosyltransferase (UGT).

Mycotoxin and Glutathione
Tim Guilford, MD
Your Energy Systems, LLC

http://drguilford.co...728-Final-1.pdf

Maybe the mycotoxins of a yeast-infection suppress Nrf2 causing a vicious cycle where toxins pile up and the ROS could cause the DHA/EPA to oxidize.

If you get tired from fish/algae oil you should  try out DIM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#67 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:24 PM

Last year in september I tried DHA only capsules (Life Extension) and if I remember correctly they made me tired.

For some weeeks now I'm taking EPA only capsules (igennus Pharmepa RESTORE) and they don't make me tired.

Attached File  EFA_to_Eicosanoid.JPG   85.03KB   0 downloads

So could there be something wrong with the elongase before DHA or with the delta-4-desaturase after DHA?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users