• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Snake venom injections preserve or increase telomere length?

snake venom telomeres

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

My name is Steve Ludwin and I've been injecting snake venom into my body for over 20 years. I'm now 46. Nearly 100,000 to 150,000 people are killed by snakebites every year, but I strongly believe that what can kill can also save.
Just four years ago, when I was 42, I had my DNA telomeres tested and they showed the aging properties of a 28-year-old.

More here:

http://www.reddit.co...ly_snake_venom/
  • like x 1

#2 anagram

• 339 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

Basically, bleeding is very good for you. People who donate blood tend to have an extremely lower risk of heart disease.
This is because when you decrease the amount of iron in your body, you are preventing the fenton reaction, which is part of aging/damage to DNA.

In addition to the decrease in iron from bleeding, when using the snake venom he is destroying destroys RBC releasing free iron which will fool your body into thinking it has enough iron. So snake venom will not increase ferretin expression meaning you don't absorb iron as much, and you have reduced amounts from bleeding, a general ++ to reduce aging.

Snake venom probably exposes the body to mild shock, and protein denaturing, which is perhaps equivalent to hypoxia, he is preconditioning himself to mild stresses that also may cause aging. In terms of an antiaging solution, I would just donate blood for effects though, snakes are dangerous.

Edited by anagram, 29 January 2013 - 11:24 PM.

• dislike x 1

#3 Methos000

• 144 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

How about Snake Oil injections? Do you think those will increase telomere length as well? Anyone here use Snake Oil? :)
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

My name is Steve Ludwin and I've been injecting snake venom into my body for over 20 years. I'm now 46. Nearly 100,000 to 150,000 people are killed by snakebites every year, but I strongly believe that what can kill can also save.
Just four years ago, when I was 42, I had my DNA telomeres tested and they showed the aging properties of a 28-year-old.

More here:

http://www.reddit.co...ly_snake_venom/

Was just reading about Steve Ludwin's mentor, Bill Haast. Sounds like he took similar venom injections most of his life too and lived to be 101.

Couldn't find any studies involving use of snake venom to increase telomere length in humans or animals. But I did find this study about the telomeres of pythons.

Short Telomeres in Hatchling Snakes: Erythrocyte Telomere Dynamics and Longevity in Tropical Pythons

They start out with very short telomeres that lengthen rapidly until middle age and then shorten again as they get older. Their early-age internal chemistry might include something responsible for all the telomerase activity that seems to be going on.

Howard

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

There are some well known classes of snake venoms, like phospolipases and neurotoxins and god knows what. I watched the snake guy's youtube video, and he sure looked good for his age. He mixes a bunch of different venoms together, dilutes them, and gives himself sub-q injections. It would be pretty wild if there was really something to this, but at this point it's kind of a weird curiosity. I wonder what's really going on?

#6 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

That's quite dangerous as you need to desentitize yourself from snake venom.
The guy looks pretty healthy (though we don't know much about his cognitive abilities) but still that seems to be a risky challenge, there are probably other safer stuff around here that can increase telomere lenght.

#7 anagram

• 339 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snake venom, telomeres

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users