• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Magnesium Threonate and NMDA antagonism in general - how long?

magnesium threonate nmda glutamate anxiety memory

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 arjacent

• 66 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

So I've been on magnesium threonate for the past month taking the standard 2g MgT from Life Extension. The product works, in that I can feel the effects which suggests the Mg is crossing the BBB, but the effects are not what I would call positive. Yes, there is an anxiolytic and calming effect but my cognition has taken a hit. I have a hard time recalling facts and my thinking has become slower as in I'm less witty and feel less mentally agile. I can't remember what I do with my days, find it more difficult to string ideas together and generally feel "blah". I attribute this to the NMDA antagonism because when I tried memantine a while back I felt the exact same way. I ditched memantine after a 2 month trial because cognition remained damped. I understand that taking this supplement is supposed to upregulate the glutmatate receptors and as a result improve cognition over time. How long is this process supposed to take? It's already been a month and if it's going to be like memantine another month won't change much. Or are higher Mg levels depleting another essential mineral that I should be supplementing. Do I wait longer or ditch the MgT?

Edited by arjacent, 02 February 2013 - 11:55 PM.

#2 prunk

• 227 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Anything new?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magnesium, threonate, nmda, glutamate, anxiety, memory

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)