• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Cat with kidney failure on C60, still alive.

feline elderly c60 cat kidney failure

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:36 AM

FB is getting his C60 on schedule and remaining pretty active. I've wrestled with him and had him jumping 3 feet forward from a 2 foot height. He's staying strong. Though I am now worried as I found a bump around or just under the spot where he was shaved in my profile pic (original on page 1) which I believe I had mentioned earlier. It had gone away before giving him C60, but it's suddenly getting pretty big. I'm going to see if I can get my eye on it without reshaving the area. He was shaved for a blood draw, so it's not a shot related reaction.

Posted Image

As for the kittens (not giving them C60), they are doing well and drinking milk like crazy, a neighbor said they found a cat matching the mother's description as a road pizza on a nearby main road. No one knows what happened to the three kittens she returned for.

The kittens are growing and I got an average of 2 onces in each of them. They are now 20-22 days old depending on whether or not they born the day we found them, the initial estimate from my neighbor was way off after watching youtube videos. They're growing up into nice friendly little belly rub cuddle cats and will sleep in your arms. They also enjoy a little rough housing and are teething on each other. The one I've handled the most is now the most calm of the bunch and doesn't need to mound as much before sleeping. He also doesn't mind being taken from the other kittens and is more than happy to be played with. He opens his mouth alot without vocalizing and may be a little horse. Another one similar to him has developed a cough. I'm definitely allergic to them or at least the female of the bunch (I've found males to cause much less of a reaction if any, in my experience whereas some females I will be very allergic to). It looks like all kittens will have homes.

I've just found a better way to feed them too. I've been feeding one at a time and they always cry and it takes forever to get them to eat (takes about an hour to feed all four). I now stick them all in a shoebox and just hold the bottle and they compete for it and are eating much much quicker and alot more.

I've also been watching videos on youtube of kittens getting groomed and interacting with other cats with FB. If I haven't mention already, he comes to watch when he hears cat videos being played and even gets jealous as he looks at us and yeows. He seems pretty interested in the kitten videos, at least for a while, so hopefully he won't mind having them around when they're ready to come in the house. They've been around now for almost three weeks and he seems very keen on investigating them now and doesn't seem to be as afraid. Though being kittens from a barn cat, we won't be able to let them near FB until they've been tested for stuff as FB has a kidney condition and is too old to get his shots now.

Oh dialysis is ongoing, we're sticking to a 3 day schedule, though we could probably get away with a 1 week schedule given his apparent health. I'm going to wait longer to make the decision. He continues to eat low protein food and only gets a small spoon full of regular wet food and a few pounce treats each day. Plus 3-5 extra after dialysis.

I did try giving him white powder donuts again. He likes the donuts themselves, but ignores them when they have C60 on it.

Thoughts regarding the bump on his neck/chest? It feels a little bit bigger than a bb.

Edited by cryonicsculture, 17 July 2013 - 01:39 AM.

#62 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

It's been a while, but last week I started giving FB C60 again. I moved and things got hectic for a while and I just wasn't in the mood to keep it going. Over the several weeks of not getting C60 he gradually started to vomit more and was needing dialysis more frequently. He also has added stress of adjusting to new kittens.

The bump on his chest has gotten smaller. His activity levels aren't too high but he's spending most of his time proactively intimidating the kittens.

Last week and this week I gave him 5 drops of the SV stuff on the nose.

He's gotten boney in his old age.

#63 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:42 PM

Well it's been another two years, he's still alive and not all that bad off. Doesn't seem to be having any kidney issues and hasn't had dialysis in a long time. I've given him 3-4 C60 doses in the last 2 years, and have been giving him joint and daily vitamin treats regularly.

Fur looks healthy, though he gets lots of brushing. And the only thing I see that reminds me how old he is is his balance being off. Got him in November of 97' IIRC, So he's 18 by now. Oh, and it puts him through alot of pain to pick him up these days.

#64 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,044 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:10 PM

Wow. 18 is getting up there in age for a cat. Nice to hear he is still living. I have one cat approaching 17 now. I have noticed the balance problem as well. He got some c60 a couple years ago. I think I will give a few doses in the coming year. It is cheap, seems non-toxic, and there is a lot of unscientific anecdotal (most likely placebo-driven) evidence that it might be somewhat beneficial for health.

#65 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:48 PM

My cat is close to 18 now, as well. I'm not sure how old he was when we found him, but that was about 17 years ago.

i've been giving him c60 on and off for over a year, and he seems to remain surprisingly healthy. he still manages to jump on and off our kitchen counter several times a day with no problem. he throws up every so often, but beyond that he appears to be in pretty good health

#66 Mind

• 19,044 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:29 PM

Interesting. My cat has become a picky eater as well. He throws up about once a week, or maybe every other week. Not much more than a younger cat might (when eating grass or new food). Attached is a current picture of Conan.

Attached Thumbnails

• Conan.jpg

#67 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:26 AM

Do you think the balance problem is caused by C60? This is the oldest cat I've had so far, it could also be that his bones hurt. He is still able to jump around accurately enough. Maybe he'd benefit from more Glucosamine/Chondroitin treats.

#68 Mind

• 19,044 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:11 PM

The balance issue is just from normal aging, IMO. A 17 year old cat is equivalent to a 90 year old human. The vast majority of 90 year old humans have balance problems.

#69 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:33 PM

How do you administer the c60? Like medicine (open jaw, dump inside) which is never too pleasant for both parties?
I have a 15 yo cat, she seems to be quite anxious at times (like her master) and can get very vocal, begging for no reason etc,... I wonder if she's not getting slightly senile... Maybe c60 could help a little.

Edited by fntms, 29 October 2015 - 08:37 PM.

#70 Mind

• 19,044 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:53 PM

I am afraid Conan is getting slightly senile as well, but can't tell for sure because cats are generally fairly mercurial to begin with.

I mix the C60oo with tuna or something else that Conan really likes, then he eats most of it. Check earlier in the thread and you will see pictures of me administering C60oo to Lynx.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feline, elderly, c60, cat, kidney failure

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)