- - - - -

How I Stopped Eating Food

diet caloric restriction

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:56 AM

Wow 471% funded, a lot of people want this it seems!

#32 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

I'm in.

#33 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:17 AM

Has anybody kept up with where this has gone? It raised $1,000,000+ during the campaign, which is amazing. Here's a guy via Tim Ferriss who monitored his 2 weeks of drinking Soylent:

http://www.fourhourw.../08/20/soylent/

Only question is, why is he losing weight if his caloric intake is generally the same or actually more with Soylent?? (~8 lbs lost in 2 weeks!)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 maxwatt

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

Better glucose control, calories burned instead of deposited as fat. Just a guess.
I still have a lingering suspicion the whole thing is an elaborate hoax.

#35 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

A mighty expensive hoax! I think I'm going to sign up for 1 month, and document it here whenever I get it (December is the shipment month). I guess I'll see if it's a hoax then and keep you guys posted...

#36 YOLF

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:48 AM

I'm going to try it and do the same... No point in letting an elaborate hoax make us look bad.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#37 revenant

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

here you go..save me a burrito plz http://rationalwiki..../Breatharianism

#38 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

Read it closely; too much seems tongue-in-cheeek, and his conditions for actually getting a sample of "Soylent Green' (the name itself should be a tip-off) are consistent with a complicated prank. If he IS serious, though, maybe I've lost an opportunity to "buy the Brooklyn Bridge cheaply."

I don't think it's a hoax, in the sense that the guy is basically and knowingly re-packaging a basic vitamin+minerals shake drink into a "revolutionary food replacement formula" with a different marketing tactic. The target audience is naive and rich hipsters and pseudo-nerds from Silicon Valley ( and elsewhere ) who are misinformed about supplements and think that a basic vitamin+minerals supplement is a new "invention" ( perhaps because it's presented as a drink instead of a pill ?). He is just using the right buzz-words that people want to hear. He is not the first to do it, many supplement companies package a couple of basic supplements, give them fancy names ( "Superman Extreme" :-D for example, see the Retailer/supplement subforum) and claim them as a new "invention". He just seems to have done it at a new level of viral marketing ingenuity.

A Million $+ pre-order for a vitamin shake ? At 225$ a month ? Maybe people buying into this deserve to get ripped-off ( Well actually, maybe not. No one deserves to be ripped off, especially for something that could turn into being a health hazard if they completely stop eating and just drinking this.)

Edited by BlueCloud, 17 September 2013 - 02:07 PM.

• like x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#39 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

This guy is absolutely full of WIN ! :laugh: http://www.breatharian.com
For just 100.000$ he will teach you how to prepare into moving to Planet 5D ( a higher level planet where you can live eternally, Part of the Pleaidean Universe and the Confederation of Positive Planets, where plenty of intergalactic tourists come and go ) by eating a double quarter-pounder with cheese from McDonald's, with Diet Coke. Because they contain a special "base frequency" that will prepare your body to survive on just breathing, once you'll move to Planet 5D.
And the best part is : it's not a parody website.
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#40 robosapiens

• 163 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

It cannot be nutritionally complete because we simply have not discovered everything that the body should have yet.
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#41 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

I'll volunteer to be one of the people to be ripped off because I'm curious. Agreed that it doesn't meet all nutritional completeness. Agreed that all it is is a fancy "replacement meal", and used the name Soylent to create buzz since most people associate Soylent Green with eating human skin. Don't agree that it is a rip off. I spend far more on groceries for quasi-complete nutritional intake per month than what Soylent offers per month. Not something I want to do long-term though. I enjoy cooking too much.
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#42 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

There are calories included in the Soylent, just fyi... And no need to worry, I'm sure they'll come out with burrito flavored soylent after the vanilla and chocolate :)
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#43 Absent

• 492 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

Truthfully I don't know why so many people gave money to this project. It's an idea, nothing more, whether it works or not. Anybody can do it. For a couple of hundred dollars investment they can get all purported ingredients for thousands of servings, and with the right research of course.

It cannot be nutritionally complete because we simply have not discovered everything that the body should have yet.

This. This is why I don't think a person could entirely replace their diet with this. It might be very handy for short stretches where money is an issue.... and for the very very long term it's asking for health issues.
  • Enjoying the show x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diet, caloric restriction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users