• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

IS THERE EVIDENCE FOR THE RESURRECTION OF CHRIST?

god christianity religion

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

IS THERE EVIDENCE FOR THE RESURRECTION OF CHRIST?

Easter almost here. (In the Orthodox Church it is next month)
There are minimal facts that are agreed to by a broad spectrum of scholars
- the minimal facts are accepted because they pass standard historical criteria
- Fact 1: Jesus died by crucifixion
- Fact 2: Individuals and groups had visions of Jesus after his death
- Fact 3: Paul, a skeptic and an enemy, had an appearance of Jesus that converted him
- these facts are agreed to atheist scholars, liberal scholars, etc.
- virtually 100% of scholars agree with these three facts

- there is no naturalistic explanation of these three facts
- therefore, the best explanation of these three facts is that God raised Jesus from the dead

For those of us who are interested in life and death issues, this is especially interesting. We all want a long, if not eternal life as a minimal basis of our shared interest. So here is a basic but religious topic from a Christian perspective.
  • dislike x 4
  • like x 2

#2 shadowhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

On minimal facts. A place to start.

https://www.youtube....&v=ay_Db4RwZ_M#!

Edited by shadowhawk, 26 March 2013 - 02:30 AM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#3 Arcanyn

• 54 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

Evidence for the resurrection of Elvis.

1. Elvis died in 1977.
2. Since his death, there have been thousands of sightings of Elvis. A few examples here http://www.theholida.../apparition.htm . The first Elvis sightings occurred and were recorded very soon after his death (as opposed to a certain other figure we might mention, for which the first resurrection accounts were recorded 40 years after his death), making them very reliable.
3. There are even photographs of Elvis after he died.
4. Harold Welch, who did not believe in the resurrection of Elvis, was converted when visited in a dream by Elvis, who helped him find his runaway son. http://www.ghosttheo...eyond-the-grave

- we can't possibly explain any of this.
- Therefore, the only conclusion we can draw from these facts is that Elvis is actually some sort of demigod who came back to life.
  • like x 7
  • dislike x 1

#4 shadowhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

Arcanyn:: Evidence for the resurrection of Elvis.

1. Elvis died in 1977.
2. Since his death, there have been thousands of sightings of Elvis. A few examples here http://www.theholida.../apparition.htm . The first Elvis sightings occurred and were recorded very soon after his death (as opposed to a certain other figure we might mention, for which the first resurrection accounts were recorded 40 years after his death), making them very reliable.
3. There are even photographs of Elvis after he died.
4. Harold Welch, who did not believe in the resurrection of Elvis, was converted when visited in a dream by Elvis, who helped him find his runaway son. http://www.ghosttheo...eyond-the-grave

- we can't possibly explain any of this.
- Therefore, the only conclusion we can draw from these facts is that Elvis is actually some sort of demigod who came back to life.

#1 No problem with that fact.
#2. Here are some examples from the web site you provided:.
.......................................................................................................
I saw Elvis In a leather tannery( undisclosed location to protect the kings privacy, of course) eating Chester fried chicken and drinking a yahoo in the break room at lunch. Of course I knew immediately who this great Icon was by the groovy burns that would make Greg Brady lay down in fetal position and weep. I spoke with him briefly, not letting on that of course I know this is Elvis, about the global economy and how it had affected the leather industry but I think he was more concerned with the lack of donut delivery service in the area ,"what with all the dunkin donuts in the area and I cant get any delivered?" was the quote ill always remember. Overall the King looked good for his age despite the polyester he was wearing. LONG LIVE THE KING!!!!

- New Hampshire
Although may have scoffed at my tale, I swear that I saw Elvis Presley while I was fishing on the Salmon River in Idaho. The King looked older, obviously, but I could tell it was him. He was walking away from the river and disappeared into the bushes. I swear that at that moment Heartbreak Hotel started playing on my radio. The experience was scary, almost like the feeling one gets from surviving an automobile accident. It was scary but exhilarating.

- a military pilot from Italy
Joe's Bar & Grille...The King was tying one on at this local filling station. Bartender told our researchers that he was celebrating his 4 month anniversary of quitting smoking cigarettes. Apparently he has taken up pork rinds as a substitute, because he took 4 bags with him when he stumbled out the door. Bartender could not answer the question on how he was going to smoke the pork rinds.

- Oct. 19, 1995 Columbus, Ohio
Two spotters were browsing the Elvis Spotter's Page on the world wide web when a power surge shut down the building. Looking up in the half lit doorway from hallway emergency lights waved a side burned man, wearing a janitor's jump suit with the name Elvis on the lapel. When power was restored, the regular janitor was sought out and found to have the day off.

- Oct. 18, 1995, Rider University
We saw Elvis at a fish and chip serving cod and mushy peas.

- November1, 1998, Knaresborough

Found him at my desk -- in costume, with Elvis' 60 Greatest Hits playing in the background! And, no, Elvis has NOT left the building!

October30, 1998, Columbia SC
Read more at http://www.theholida...Osm3Zp1W0AKs.99
.......................................................................................
Most of the sightings are of a similar non serious vein. Good fun.

The modern view among scholars largely admit the early belief by eye witnesses, in the resurrection of Christ. I mentioned this earlier, “The minimal view of the resurrection of Christ.’ Here is the case again:.

https://www.youtube....&v=ay_Db4RwZ_M#!

#3 There is photographic evidence of Elvis. I haven’t seen it. Show me.

#4 Herold Welch had a dream, not an appearance according to you. Not a real appearance.

YOUR CONCLUSION:
“we can't possibly explain any of this.
- Therefore, the only conclusion we can draw from these facts is that Elvis is actually some sort of demigod who came back to life. “

Actually, it is quite easy to explain.
1. You wanted to draw a parallel between a joke and a serious historical event, which you did.
2. Your case that the resurrection of Christ was first recorded 40 years after the fact is weak historically..
3. Based upon the evidence you presented you believe, Elvis is a demigod who came back to life. Score one for Elvis.
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 2

#5 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

It is pointless for me to take your post seriously, but I will respond anyways for fun.

Your conclusion: there is no naturalistic explanation of these three facts and therefore, the best explanation of these three facts is that God raised Jesus from the dead

#1. Death by crucifixion is easily explainable. In fact, death is the entire point behind crucifixion as it was a form of execution. Yes, it is fact that Jesus was executed via crucifixion, but this does nothing to prove your conclusion. Another Interesting fact: Alexander the Great crucified 2000 people after the battle of Tyre.

#2: Whether or not it is factual that people claim to have had visions is irrelevant as the claims themselves do not provide any proof for the visions being 'real' rather than imagined. In other words and in context, unless you can prove that the visions were of divine origin rather than a person's imagination or some other reason, using them as the basis for an argument would be incorrect.

#3. Paul was a skeptic and enemy of Christ and he claimed that Christ appeared before him. He was so moved by this, that he converted. I can agree with this as being 100% completely factual. In context of your argument though, this is not relevant to your conclusion despite the statement itself being factual. There is no proof that Christ actually appeared to Paul, only that Paul believes Christ appeared to him. Fabrication, hallucination, dream state, and numerous other things besides divinity could be the source of this 'appearance'.

Edited by mikeinnaples, 27 March 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#6 shadowhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

It is pointless for me to take your post seriously, but I will respond anyways for fun.

Your conclusion: there is no naturalistic explanation of these three facts and therefore, the best explanation of these three facts is that God raised Jesus from the dead

#1. Death by crucifixion is easily explainable. In fact, death is the entire point behind crucifixion as it was a form of execution. Yes, it is fact that Jesus was executed via crucifixion, but this does nothing to prove your conclusion. Another Interesting fact: Alexander the Great crucified 2000 people after the battle of Tyre.

#2: Whether or not it is factual that people claim to have had visions is irrelevant as the claims themselves do not provide any proof for the visions being 'real' rather than imagined. In other words and in context, unless you can prove that the visions were of divine origin rather than a person's imagination or some other reason, using them as the basis for an argument would be incorrect.

#3. Paul was a skeptic and enemy of Christ and he claimed that Christ appeared before him. He was so moved by this, that he converted. I can agree with this as being 100% completely factual. In context of your argument though, this is not relevant to your conclusion despite the statement itself being factual. There is no proof that Christ actually appeared to Paul, only that Paul believes Christ appeared to him. Fabrication, hallucination, dream state, and numerous other things besides divinity could be the source of this 'appearance'.

1. I never said there was no “naturalistic” explanation of the three facts. Where?
2. I never said death by crucifixion was not explainable. So you actually agree with my minimal fact.
3. Vision of Elvis were brought up. I address the value of this in my next point. Elvis is dead and I presented evidence for it. It is incorrect that eye witness testimony is an incorrect form of historical evidence. We use it all the time. It is the basis of much we know of history. How do you know you were born from your parents?
4. Regarding Paul, you again agree with my facts. What conclusion have I made. The topic regards evidence for Christ’s resurrection. There is evidence that Christ appeared to Paul. As a result of this, Pauls life completely changed and he went to his death insisting it really happened. What real proof do you have that this did not happen? None.
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 2

#7 shadowhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:28 AM

The main evidence regarding Elvis being dead or alikve is his grave. Unlikke Christ, here it is.

When he was burried they had a funeral witnessed by thousands.

I rember Elvis and he was like the rest, dead. Lets talk about serious issues. No God, no hope
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#8 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

1. I never said there was no “naturalistic” explanation of the three facts. Where?
2. I never said death by crucifixion was not explainable. So you actually agree with my minimal fact.
3. Vision of Elvis were brought up. I address the value of this in my next point. Elvis is dead and I presented evidence for it. It is incorrect that eye witness testimony is an incorrect form of historical evidence. We use it all the time. It is the basis of much we know of history. How do you know you were born from your parents?
4. Regarding Paul, you again agree with my facts. What conclusion have I made. The topic regards evidence for Christ’s resurrection. There is evidence that Christ appeared to Paul. As a result of this, Pauls life completely changed and he went to his death insisting it really happened. What real proof do you have that this did not happen? None.

1. Yes you did, verbatim. Do you even bother to read the shit you regurgitate from someone else?

3. What does Elvis have to do with your original post? Argue with the person who brought him into this, not me. It is irrelevant to my response to you.

4. How did you not understand my response to this one? Lets try again:

No, there is only evidence that Paul claims that Christ appeared before him. There is absolutely no evidence that Christ actually appeared before him. I agree with you that Paul made this claim, but this does not in any way provide any proof that Christ actually appeared. There are numerous plausible explanations, none of which involve resurrection.

Lastly, you should never say this when trying to argue:

What real proof do you have that this did not happen?

I am however going to answer your question anyways:

It is impossible for Christ to have appeared before Paul because Shiva destroyed him completely and utterly.

What proof do you have that this did not happen? None.

#9 shadowhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

IS DEATH IN FACT A ONE WAY STREET?

• like x 1

#10 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

It is a little disturbing to see that your MO hasn't changed. Post links to lengthy, inane videos with the expectation that people will or should watch them, instead of making your own argument. You could at least write a summary along with the video link.
  • like x 1

#11 shadowhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

View Postshadowhawk, on 27 March 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

mikeinnaples: 1. Yes you did, verbatim. Do you even bother to read the shit you regurgitate from someone else?

The fact is from birth most I have learned came from someone else.. This includes my name. I read several books a week. Most people learn most of what they know from other people. That is why we go to school. You have made this complaint repeatedly since I have interacted with you. Obviously this is not true of you, you are original..

As far as Naturalism is concerned you didn’t read what I said. Death by crucifixion is explainable. I said its explainable. What don't you get?

Eyewitness testimony is valuable evidence. Paul was an eyewitness to the resurrected Christ and that is all the evidence we/you have. Do you have more? Were you there? Naturalism says you can't be an eye witness? This is original all right.

So what are the naturalistic explanations to contradict the three minimal facts I gave. Don’t go off track as you often do with your original view of naturalism. Remember you learned it from no one else! There is no naturalistic explanation to contradict these three minimal facts as I stated them. That is my point and in fact Naturalism agrees with them.

shadowhawk said:

To clarify what I said, “there is no naturalistic explanation that contradicts these minimal facts.’

mikeinnaples: 3. What does Elvis have to do with your original post? Argue with the person who brought him into this, not me. It is irrelevant to my response to you.

Obviously Elvis has nothing to do with my original post. Did you miss the issue, it came up later. Unless you are stuck on it lets go on. Elvis is dead.

mikeinnaples: 4. How did you not understand my response to this one? Lets try again:

No, there is only evidence that Paul claims that Christ appeared before him. There is absolutely no evidence that Christ actually appeared before him. I agree with you that Paul made this claim, but this does not in any way provide any proof that Christ actually appeared. There are numerous plausible explanations, none of which involve resurrection.
Shadowhawk:
Yes this sounds like your original thought. We have Pauls eyewitness testimony. Where is yours? His was not the only one to see the risen Christ. But then you experienced the truth originally, some way, some how.. The problem with listening to your explanations is they become second hand the moment they come out of your mouth. Do I understand you right, this makes things worthless?

mikeinnaples:
Lastly, you should never say this when trying to argue:

shadowhawk said:
What real proof do you have that this did not happen?

I am however going to answer your question anyways:

It is impossible for Christ to have appeared before Paul because Shiva destroyed him completely and utterly.

Sorry but again, “What proof do you have that this did not happen?” None. Perhaps your originality is getting in the way. You have Shiva. How original

We have Pauls testimony as well as the Church but that is only only one small part of it..
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#12 shadowhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

It is a little disturbing to see that your MO hasn't changed. Post links to lengthy, inane videos with the expectation that people will or should watch them, instead of making your own argument. You could at least write a summary along with the video link.

Sorry, I thought you wanted originality. I have posted two videos so far, both by tremendous scholars and original thinkers. Bet you don’t know what the issues are. But then, you don’t have to fill your mind with someone eases original ideas by watching original videos. I don’t want to confuse you with someone eases ideas nor second hand summaries either Do you realize what you are asking?. I think you do. I suggest that someone so original, as yourself not bother. If I recall you earlier even complained about links. That's your MO. Ho hummm

I am going to post an excellent debate on the resurrection. Do not watch it, if upsetting. It involves an atheist and theist!

#13 Mr Serendipity

• 985 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

FACT #1: BROKEN ROMAN SEAL
The first obvious fact was the breaking of the seal that stood for the power and authority of the Roman Empire. The consequences of breaking the seal were extremely severe. The FBI and CIA of the Roman Empire were called into action to find the man or men who were responsible. If they were apprehended, it meant automatic execution by crucifixion upside down. People feared the breaking of the seal. Jesus' disciples displayed signs of cowardice when they hid themselves. Peter, one of these disciples, went out and denied Christ three times.

FACT #2: EMPTY TOMB
Another obvious fact after the resurrection was the empty tomb. The disciples of Christ did not go off to Athens or Rome to preach that Christ was raised from the dead. Rather, they went right back to the city of Jerusalem, where, if what they were teaching was false, the falsity would be evident. The empty tomb was "too notorious to be denied." Paul Althaus states that the resurrection "could have not been maintained in Jerusalem for a single day, for a single hour, if the emptiness of the tomb had not been established as a fact for all concerned."
Both Jewish and Roman sources and traditions admit an empty tomb. Those resources range from Josephus to a compilation of fifth-century Jewish writings called the "Toledoth Jeshu." Dr. Paul Maier calls this "positive evidence from a hostile source, which is the strongest kind of historical evidence. In essence, this means that if a source admits a fact decidedly not in its favor, then that fact is genuine."
Gamaliel, who was a member of the Jewish high court, the Sanhedrin, put forth the suggestion that the rise of the Christian movement was God's doing; he could not have done that if the tomb were still occupied, or if the Sanhedrin knew the whereabouts of Christ's body.
Paul Maier observes that " . . . if all the evidence is weighed carefully and fairly, it is indeed justifiable, according to the canons of historical research, to conclude that the sepulcher of Joseph of Arimathea, in which Jesus was buried, was actually empty on the morning of the first Easter. And no shred of evidence has yet been discovered in literary sources, epigraphy, or archaeology that would disprove this statement."

FACT #3: LARGE STONE MOVED
On that Sunday morning the first thing that impressed the people who approached the tomb was the unusual position of the one and a half to two ton stone that had been lodged in front of the doorway. All the Gospel writers mention it.
Those who observed the stone after the resurrection describe its position as having been rolled up a slope away not just from the entrance of the tomb, but from the entire massive sepulcher. It was in such a position that it looked as if it had been picked up and carried away. Now, I ask you, if the disciples had wanted to come in, tiptoe around the sleeping guards, and then roll the stone over and steal Jesus' body, how could they have done that without the guards' awareness?

FACT #4: ROMAN GUARD GOES AWOL
The Roman guards fled. They left their place of responsibility. How can their attrition he explained, when Roman military discipline was so exceptional? Justin, in Digest #49, mentions all the offenses that required the death penalty. The fear of their superiors' wrath and the possibility of death meant that they paid close attention to the minutest details of their jobs. One way a guard was put to death was by being stripped of his clothes and then burned alive in a fire started with his garments. If it was not apparent which soldier had failed in his duty, then lots were drawn to see which one would be punished with death for the guard unit's failure. Certainly the entire unit would not have fallen asleep with that kind of threat over their heads. Dr. George Currie, a student of Roman military discipline, wrote that fear of punishment "produced flawless attention to duty, especially in the night watches."

FACT #5: GRAVECLOTHES TELL A TALE
In a literal sense, against all statements to the contrary, the tomb was not totally empty--because of an amazing phenomenon. John, a disciple of Jesus, looked over to the place where the body of Jesus had lain, and there were the grave clothes, in the form of the body, slightly caved in and empty--like the empty chrysalis of a caterpillar's cocoon. That's enough to make a believer out of anybody. John never did get over it. The first thing that stuck in the minds of the disciples was not the empty tomb, but rather the empty grave clothes--undisturbed in form and position.

FACT #6: JESUS' APPEARANCES CONFIRMED
Christ appeared alive on several occasions after the cataclysmic events of that first Easter . When studying an event in history, it is important to know whether enough people who were participants or eyewitnesses to the event were alive when the facts about the event were published. To know this is obviously helpful in ascertaining the accuracy of the published report. If the number of eyewitnesses is substantial, the event can he regarded as fairly well established. For instance, if we all witness a murder, and a later police report turns out to he a fabrication of lies, we as eyewitnesses can refute it.

OVER 500 WITNESSES
Several very important factors arc often overlooked when considering Christ's post-resurrection appearances to individuals. The first is the large number of witnesses of Christ after that resurrection morning. One of the earliest records of Christ's appearing after the resurrection is by Paul. The apostle appealed to his audience's knowledge of the fact that Christ had been seen by more than 500 people at one time. Paul reminded them that the majority of those people were still alive and could be questioned. Dr. Edwin M. Yamauchi, associate professor of history at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, emphasizes: "What gives a special authority to the list (of witnesses) as historical evidence is the reference to most of the five hundred brethren being still alive. St. Paul says in effect, 'If you do not believe me, you can ask them.' Such a statement in an admittedly genuine letter written within thirty years of the event is almost as strong evidence as one could hope to get for something that happened nearly two thousand years ago." Let's take the more than 500 witnesses who saw Jesus alive after His death and burial, and place them in a courtroom. Do you realize that if each of those 500 people were to testify for only six minutes, including cross-examination, you would have an amazing 50 hours of firsthand testimony? Add to this the testimony of many other eyewitnesses and you would well have the largest and most lopsided trial in history.

HOSTILE WITNESSES
Another factor crucial to interpreting Christ's appearances is that He also appeared to those who were hostile or unconvinced.
Over and over again, I have read or heard people comment that Jesus was seen alive after His death and burial only by His friends and followers. Using that argument, they attempt to water down the overwhelming impact of the multiple eyewitness accounts. But that line of reasoning is so pathetic it hardly deserves comment. No author or informed individual would regard Saul of Tarsus as being a follower of Christ. The facts show the exact opposite. Saul despised Christ and persecuted Christ's followers. It was a life-shattering experience when Christ appeared to him. Although he was at the time not a disciple, he later became the apostle Paul, one of the greatest witnesses for the truth of the resurrection.
The argument that Christ's appearances were only to followers is an argument for the most part from silence, and arguments from silence can be dangerous. It is equally possible that all to whom Jesus appeared became followers. No one acquainted with the facts can accurately say that Jesus appeared to just "an insignificant few."
Christians believe that Jesus was bodily resurrected in time and space by the supernatural power of God. The difficulties of belief may be great, but the problems inherent in unbelief present even greater difficulties.
The theories advanced to explain the resurrection by "natural causes" are weak; they actually help to build confidence in the truth of the resurrection.

Edited by manny, 01 April 2013 - 11:27 AM.

• like x 3
  • dislike x 1

#14 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

I see it is still pointless to engage in rational discussion with Shadowhawk. Nothing changes from our resident quack.
  • dislike x 3
  • like x 2

#15 Bron

• 103 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

I fail to see why followers of the Abrahamic faiths would want to extend their lives at all. According to your religion, true life isn't until after death, where you will be immortal with Moses, Jesus, or Muhammad. This life is just a test by some sort of schizophrenic, personified god. Why exactly are you interested in extending it (rhetorical)?

#16 Mr Serendipity

• 985 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

People on this forum aren't here just for life extension, but here for wanting good health while they are alive, and keeping the brain and mind sharp.

It wouldn't bother me if I died tomorrow, in the end we're all going to die, and I have assurance of my afterlife. But life is precious, it is given by God, and no way are we meant to shorten our lives or anyone elses before their time. That's why taking life, even our own or others is wrong, including ones just starting in the womb.

As Christians is doesn't matter if science can extend out lives by 100 years to so called infinitely. Because we already have eternal life with Christ, not man. If God offered me eternal life, or some scientist. I'd rather trust God.

Your comment is obviously meant to be biased and stir up strife when you further say "This life is just a test by some sort of schizophrenic, personified god". So I'm no longer going to discuss anything further with you.

Edited by manny, 01 April 2013 - 02:40 PM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#17 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

As Christians is doesn't matter if science can extend out lives by 100 years to so called infinitely. Because we already have eternal life with Christ, not man. If God offered me eternal life, or some scientist. I'd rather trust God.

You are making a rather large assumption that not only does a 'God' exist, but that this 'God' is your particular flavor. Seems quite a risk to me.

#18 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

It wouldn't bother me if I died tomorrow, in the end we're all going to die, and I have assurance of my afterlife.

What kind of assurances do you have? Did god personally visit you or are you relying on hearsay and marketing?

If God offered me eternal life, or some scientist. I'd rather trust God.

So when did God appear to you personally or are you just responding to hearsay and marketing?

#19 shadowhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

I fail to see why followers of the Abrahamic faiths would want to extend their lives at all. According to your religion, true life isn't until after death, where you will be immortal with Moses, Jesus, or Muhammad. This life is just a test by some sort of schizophrenic, personified god. Why exactly are you interested in extending it (rhetorical)?

You don' know much about Abrahamic faiths and the value of life. That's O.K. :)
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#20 shadowhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:29 AM

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#21 shadowhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:50 AM

It wouldn't bother me if I died tomorrow, in the end we're all going to die, and I have assurance of my afterlife.

What kind of assurances do you have? Did god personally visit you or are you relying on hearsay and marketing?

So when did God appear to you personally or are you just responding to hearsay and marketing?

Not one mention of any of the arguments put forth by manny.. Typical.

This is off topic and makes several errors of logic. By the way when did you stop beating your mother? Have you apologized platypus?

Away with bigotry and back on topic. Good debate on the resurrection by two good debaters.

Edited by shadowhawk, 02 April 2013 - 12:52 AM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#22 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

This is off topic and makes several errors of logic. By the way when did you stop beating your mother? Have you apologized platypus?

Away with bigotry and back on topic. Good debate on the resurrection by two good debaters.

You sound like a person who fell for memetic marketing material for a religion whose god you haven't even met.

#23 Bron

• 103 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

So I'm no longer going to discuss anything further with you.

Good, I have no desire to discuss anything with an idiot.

Manny didn't make any arguments. He made assertions without any logical deductions or any evidence.
  • dislike x 4

#24 Bron

• 103 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

You don' know much about Abrahamic faiths

How is that?

1) All three of the Abrahamic faiths believe true life is not until after death, this life is a test to see if you go to hell or heaven, or if you are Jewish just hell.

2) You believe in a god who created man in his image, hence, he is personified, a non human with human like qualities... unless you are going to contend that god is in fact just a mortal human, which Christians do this to an extent. In this case, god is not personified at all, he is a human.

3) If one omniscient, personified god truly did 'divinely inspire' the contradictory and vile ramblings of the bronze aged shepherds and farmers who wrote the Old Testament, the ridiculous writings of the iron aged evangelists, and the bloodthirsty idiocy of a medieval shepherd/merchant, then he is not just schizophrenic but batshit crazy.

What don't I know about the Abrahamic faiths? I have studied them academically, so you can continue to believe your delusions, just don't tell me I know nothing of them.

Edited by Bron, 02 April 2013 - 11:34 PM.

• like x 1

#25 Bron

• 103 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

FACT #2: EMPTY TOMB
Another obvious fact after the resurrection was the empty tomb. The disciples of Christ did not go off to Athens or Rome to preach that Christ was raised from the dead. Rather, they went right back to the city of Jerusalem, where, if what they were teaching was false, the falsity would be evident. The empty tomb was "too notorious to be denied." Paul Althaus states that the resurrection "could have not been maintained in Jerusalem for a single day, for a single hour, if the emptiness of the tomb had not been established as a fact for all concerned."
Both Jewish and Roman sources and traditions admit an empty tomb. Those resources range from Josephus to a compilation of fifth-century Jewish writings called the "Toledoth Jeshu." Dr. Paul Maier calls this "positive evidence from a hostile source, which is the strongest kind of historical evidence. In essence, this means that if a source admits a fact decidedly not in its favor, then that fact is genuine."
Gamaliel, who was a member of the Jewish high court, the Sanhedrin, put forth the suggestion that the rise of the Christian movement was God's doing; he could not have done that if the tomb were still occupied, or if the Sanhedrin knew the whereabouts of Christ's body.
Paul Maier observes that " . . . if all the evidence is weighed carefully and fairly, it is indeed justifiable, according to the canons of historical research, to conclude that the sepulcher of Joseph of Arimathea, in which Jesus was buried, was actually empty on the morning of the first Easter. And no shred of evidence has yet been discovered in literary sources, epigraphy, or archaeology that would disprove this statement."

Despite popular belief, the bible is not an historical document. You cannot call these claims "facts".

However, let me just focus in right here.

1) All four of your canonical gospels describe this event differently.

2) THERE IS NO ROMAN SOURCE OF IT. You, are either a liar, or completely ignorant.

Now, why the fuck am I wasting my time on complete idiots?
  • dislike x 2

#26 shadowhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:24 AM

Bron: 1) All three of the Abrahamic faiths believe true life is not until after death, this life is a test to see if you go to hell or heaven, or if you are Jewish just hell.

Where do you come up with this? All of this is completely false. Life is a gift both now and in the future. I won’t argue with you here on the other points. My wife is Jewish and I have studied the Jewish faith for years. True life is both now and in the future.

Bron: 2) You believe in a god who created man in his image, hence, he is personified, a non human with human like qualities... unless you are going to contend that god is in fact just a mortal human, which Christians do this to an extent. In this case, god is not personified at all, he is a human.

Again this is a complete misrepresentation of Christianity. Off topic.

Bron: 3) If one omniscient, personified god truly did 'divinely inspire' the contradictory and vile ramblings of the bronze aged shepherds and farmers who wrote the Old Testament, the ridiculous writings of the iron aged evangelists, and the bloodthirsty idiocy of a medieval shepherd/merchant, then he is not just schizophrenic but batshit crazy.

Typically when the bigotry starts oozing now and the name calling, ad hominian attacks come out. Why am I not surprised. Off topic.

Bron: What don't I know about the Abrahamic faiths? I have studied them academically, so you can continue to believe your delusions, just don't tell me I know nothing of them. WHO IS TELLING YOU??? NO ONE IS TELLING YOU A THING!!!

You don’t have a clue no matter how much studying you did. :) Off topic bigotry..

Edited by shadowhawk, 03 April 2013 - 02:25 AM.

• like x 1

#27 shadowhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

Bron: Despite popular belief, the bible is not an historical document. You cannot call these claims "facts".

2) THERE IS NO ROMAN SOURCE OF IT. You, are either a liar, or completely ignorant.

Despite your belief regarding the Bible and history, it, as any historically educated person knows, is a historical document. Disagree?
1. What are historical documents?
2. What are the minimal facts I listed in post one, if not “facts.”
1) All four Gospels have a different audience and purpose. They were written from different places and at different times. If they weren’t different something would be wrong. Ever hear of a harmony of the Gospels? See the videos I have posted where the synoptic problem is discussed. You sound like you don’t have a clue. .

2) What do you mean by “ROMAN SOURCE.” There are many sources, don’t you know that? Shall I list some of them? How about the whole Roman Empire and what happened to them, as a source? Are you ignorant of this? I will re post three sources for your information so you can say something worthwhile.

Bron: “Now, why the fuck am I wasting my time on complete idiots?”

Wow, typical. I guess you told us! :ph34r:

Edited by shadowhawk, 03 April 2013 - 10:13 PM.

• like x 1

#28 Amichai Řezník

• 29 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

You don' know much about Abrahamic faiths

How is that?

1) All three of the Abrahamic faiths believe true life is not until after death, this life is a test to see if you go to hell or heaven, or if you are Jewish just hell.

2) You believe in a god who created man in his image, hence, he is personified, a non human with human like qualities... unless you are going to contend that god is in fact just a mortal human, which Christians do this to an extent. In this case, god is not personified at all, he is a human.

3) If one omniscient, personified god truly did 'divinely inspire' the contradictory and vile ramblings of the bronze aged shepherds and farmers who wrote the Old Testament, the ridiculous writings of the iron aged evangelists, and the bloodthirsty idiocy of a medieval shepherd/merchant, then he is not just schizophrenic but batshit crazy.

What don't I know about the Abrahamic faiths? I have studied them academically, so you can continue to believe your delusions, just don't tell me I know nothing of them.

1. You obviously don't know much about Jewish theology.
2. Agreed.
3. Well they obviously would'nt it see it like that, LOL.
4.If you did study them academically you would know that Rabbinic Judaism is all about the afterlife(well, not really but you know what I mean, it's a big part of all religions):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharisees

Bron: 1) All three of the Abrahamic faiths believe true life is not until after death, this life is a test to see if you go to hell or heaven, or if you are Jewish just hell.

Where do you come up with this? All of this is completely false. Life is a gift both now and in the future. I won’t argue with you here on the other points. My wife is Jewish and I have studied the Jewish faith for years. True life is both now and in the future.

Well bron obviously did not know what he was talking about. It's okay we are all humans and make mistakes.

Edited by Amichai Řezník, 05 April 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#29 NeuroGuy

• 121 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

It's really disappointing to see how fast topics relating to God, and Jesus Christ in particular, can become so needlessly heated and convoluted. Can the primary contributors to this forum please regain some composure and detachment from the argumentation?

Despite popular belief, the bible is not an historical document. You cannot call these claims "facts".

Bron, I understand your frustration, but unfortunately you're incorrect on all of your points here. I sincerely ask for your patience in this, as well as those reading this post. I fully expect an in-depth critique of my response, but I only ask for as much objectivity and kindness as possible.

You're close to the truth in saying that the Bible is not a historical document, but only insofar as the fact that the Bible is merely an anthology of various Jewish authors. The various writings that make up the biblical collection have various degrees of scholarly creedence, yet one doesn't need to accept the Bible in its entirety in order for the aforementioned facts to be deemed historically credible. So long as the documents pertaining to those specific facts are deemed credible, or even more specifically, the sections within those documents pertaining to those specific facts, that is sufficient for historical reliability. This presupposition is supported by the majority of New Testament scholars, including both atheists and theists alike. Please take note of what I'm saying here, and what I'm not saying. What I am saying is that the majority of New Testament scholars (those who have a legitimate expert and scholarly opinion on the matter, a group composed of both atheists and Christians alike), agree on the "minimal facts" presented by Shadowhawk and Manny, a scholarly consensus that has been recently brought to light through the research of Dr. Gary Habermas. What I'm not saying is that the majority of New Testament scholars consider the resurrection of Jesus a fact. That conclusion, however, can be reached through deduction by examining the various "minimal facts" advocated by Habermas, and how these facts, when viewed in juxtaposition and as a complete case, refute competing theories (such as the swoon theory, group hallucinations, conversion disorder, etc).

On another note, you mentioned that all four gospels describe this event differently. On the one hand, there is no difficulty in reconciling the various resurrection accounts, so long as they are viewed for what they are: individual perspectives of the resurrection event, which can be pooled and compiled to form a single, cohesive event sequence. However, even if you are unwilling to accept that conclusion, the resurrection accounts do not need to match in order for the resurrection event to be historical. A good example of this is the burning of Rome under Nero. There are numerous accounts of this burning, yet they all vary distinctly in certain areas (when the fire started, where the fire was started, how much of Rome was burned, etc). Yet the existence of these discrepencies does not give any justification for the conclusion that there was no fire in Rome; the conclusion that there was a fire in Rome is uniformly agreed upon by the various sources, and so to is it uniformly agreed upon by the various Gospel accounts that Jesus came back to life after he died on the cross.

You mentioned that there are no Roman sources: I'd like to direct you to Publius Cornelius Tacitus, as well as Titus Flavius Josephus. Tacitus was one of the most reputable historians of ancient Rome. In regards to the burning of Rome under Nero, Tacitus had this to say:

"But neither the aid of man, nor the liberality of the prince, nor the propitiations of the gods succeeded in destroying the belief that the fire had been purposely lit. In order to put an end to this rumor, therefore, Nero laid the blame on and visited with severe punishment those men, hateful for their crimes, whom the people called Christians. He from whom the name was derived, Christus, was put to death by the procurator Pontius Pilate in the reign of Tiberius. But the pernicious superstition, checked for a moment, broke out again, not only in Judea, the native land of the monstrosity, but also in Rome, to which all conceivable horrors and abominations flow from every side, and find supporters. First, therefore, those were arrested who openly confessed; then, on their information, a great number, who were not so much convicted of the fire as of hatred of the human race. Ridicule was passed on them as they died; so that, clothed in skins of beasts, they were torn to pieces by dogs, or crucified, or committed to the flames, and when the sun had gone down they were burned to light up the night. Nero had lent his garden for this spectacle, and gave games in the Circus, mixing with the people in the dress of a charioteer or standing in the chariot. Hence there was a strong sympathy for them, though they might have been guilty enough to deserve the severest punishment, on the ground that they were sacrificed, not to the general good, but to the cruelty of one man." (Annals XV, 44)

Not only is he a reliable Roman source in regards to the death of Christ under Pontius Pilate, he was explicitly opposed to the new sect within Judaism that emerged, that "pernicious superstition." His reference to the crucifixion of Christ counts therefore as an enemy attestation to Jesus' death, as well as the momentum of nascent Christianity. That is important for obvious historical reasons. The same can be said of Josephus, who was a Jewish historian that underwent a complete post-war defection to the side of his Roman conquerers, and remained a Roman henceforth.

This response is in no way comprehensive, but I hope it helps to elucidate some of the background here.

Edited by NeuroGuy, 05 April 2013 - 04:48 PM.

• like x 2

#30 shadowhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

Outstanding NeuroGuy: Powerful evidence for anyone with an open mind.

My only question comes with the issue of whether we see the Biblical documents as history or not. May I suggest a book by John Warwick Montgomery, “Where is History Going?.” Also here is a good video on the subject which argues for the historisity of the gospels and Acts.

Thanks again for your excellent and thoughtful post.

Edited by shadowhawk, 05 April 2013 - 10:06 PM.

• like x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: god, christianity, religion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users