alopecia hair butyrate hdac hic-5

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

A little on the hair loss story so far.

Approach 1 Lower DHT:
The standard way Propecia / 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor: bad for fertility and libido

Approach 2 Lower DKK-1:
Not possible, even if possible would bring risk of developing bone overgrowth issues.

Approach 3 B-Catenin WNT Signaling:
Tried this with topical Fo-Ti. Didn't work. Maybe taking fo-ti would work but it has too many estrogenic side effects.

Approach 4 TGF-B1 TGF-B2 IL-6:
Not possible to affect this. Even if you could, this is all immune system stuff that's not a good idea to mess with.

Approach 5 Caffeine shampoo:
Some mild success, German study says that this interferes with testosterone in hair follicles..

Which brings me to the latest idea

Approach 6: Hic-5 inhibition via hdac

Hic is expressed in hair follicles that lose hair but not in the follicles that normally don't bald (occipital scalp)
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17508020

Androgen receptor co-activator Hic-5/ARA55 as a molecular regulator of androgen sensitivity in dermal papilla cells of human hair follicles.
Inui S, Fukuzato Y, Nakajima T, Kurata S, Itami S.
Source
Department of Regenerative Dermatology, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan.
Abstract

Androgen site-specifically affects human hair growth after puberty through androgen receptors in the dermal papilla, which transactivate target genes acting in conjunction with co-activators. To examine the regulation of androgen sensitivity in hair follicles, we focused on androgen receptor co-activator Hic-5/ARA55. Its interaction with transfected androgen receptor in beard dermal papilla cells was confirmed with mammalian two-hybrid assays. The semiquantitative reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction showed that Hic-5/ARA55 mRNA expression was high in dermal papilla cells from the beard and bald frontal scalp but low in cells from the occipital scalp. To determine whether Hic-5/ARA55 mRNA level correlates with its endogenous activity, we studied the effect of dominant negative Hic-5/ARA55 on transfected androgen receptor transactivation induced by R1881 using mouse mammary tumor virus-luciferase assays. We found that it suppressed the transactivation by 64.5 and 71.4% in dermal papilla cells from the beard and bald frontal scalp, respectively, whereas it showed no significant effect in cells from the occipital scalp. Our findings suggest that Hic-5/ARA55 is a molecular regulator for androgen sensitivity in human hair follicles.

Ok so how do we turn off Hic-5 in those androgen sensitive hair follicles?

http://books.google....etylase&f=false

Further analysis showed downregulation of hic-5 upon overnight treatment with inhibitors of histone deacetylases.

So.. We have a great HDAC inhibitor in Sodium Butyrate and I've got some pills lying around that I can work into my overnight hair loss lotion. Time to get experimenting. If all this doesn't work I'll just be out some money on supplements and be forced to spend a few thousand on a hair transplant.

Edited by abelard lindsay, 21 April 2013 - 04:43 PM.

• like x 1

#2 daouda

• 469 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

Sodium butyrate topical application on the scalp?? You do realize that your head is going to INTENSELY smell like PUTRESCENT VOMIT, do you?
  • like x 2
  • Cheerful x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 abelard lindsay

• Topic Starter
  • 873 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

Sodium butyrate topical application on the scalp?? You do realize that your head is going to INTENSELY smell like PUTRESCENT VOMIT, do you?

Yeah I just found this out :laugh: :|o. It smells reminiscient of moldy cheese. Luckily I have a shower nearby. I'm going to leave this in for an hour or so and make sure not to put my head on anything. So yeah.... This one might have practical problems. Maybe I could mix it with something to neutralize the smell.. Probably would change the chemical makeup though. Hmm.. Maybe I could just use butter, which doesn't smell that bad. Well I'm getting a good laugh out of this at least.

Edited by abelard lindsay, 21 April 2013 - 07:15 PM.

• like x 2

#4 abelard lindsay

• Topic Starter
  • 873 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Butyric_acid

Butyric acid is found in milk, especially goat, sheep and buffalo's milk, butter, Parmesan cheese, and as a product of anaerobic fermentation (including in the colon and as body odor). It has an unpleasant smell and acrid taste, with a sweetish aftertaste (similar to ether). It can be detected by mammals with good scent detection abilities (such as dogs) at 10 ppb, whereas humans can detect it in concentrations above 10 ppm.

The whole experiment lasted about 20 minutes before people in adjacent rooms started to complain of the smell. Things are still airing out, but the prognosis is good. Luckily, this stuff washed out of my hair. Maybe I'll put it on in the shower with the fan on and wash it off and then wash my hair again.

#5 bobz1lla

• 57 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

This is the funniest thing I've read in awhile. Maybe that was your endgame altogether, with laughter having so many benefits. :~

#6 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Perhaps this is the route for sodium butyrate:

http://www.excential...ial-butycoat-uk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alopecia, hair, butyrate, hdac, hic-5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users