Photo
- - - - -

Accutane and the Brain

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:49 AM

Although it seems unrelated to the forum, I made this thread to show that the use of accutane has the potential to negatively influence brain metabolism and size. I have taken roche accutane twice, both for three month periods, at doses ranging from 40-100mgs a day, both times under doctor's supervision years ago before I was aware of any side-effects other than those commonly cited (chapped lips and birth defects).

3 months after the last treatment, I began to experience significant symptoms of depression for the first time in my life. I honestly have no idea if the accutane caused effects which are making me feel the way I do now, but given the growing number of cases that aren't unlike mine, I don't think the association is unfounded.

Some important things to take into consideration: I have a family history of major depression.

I have experienced no other "side-effects" that people report during/post accutane (ie dry skin, anger, sleep problems).

I would like to influence any person who is considering accutane; they should be aware that there are thousands (probably) of people who regret using it. I CERTAINLY regret ever using accutane, despite my uncertainties about its role in my case of depression.

These studies are mice and use doses that are rather high, but the first shows striking results. Does anyone have any recommendations for my case? I thought I would run it by some brainiacs here who might think of interventions given what was learned through these studies. SSRI's and talk therapy have not helped with my depression, indeed SSRI's made me excessively tired/sleepy only.

Program No. 114.2. 2004 Abstract Viewer/Itinerary Planner. Washington, DC: Society for Neuroscience, 2004. Online. J.D. Bremner, N. Fani, N. Ashraf, J. Votaw, M. Brummer, V. Vaccarino, M. Goodman, L. Reed, C.B. Nemeroff. FUNCTIONAL BRAIN IMAGING ALTERATIONS IN ACNE PATIENTS TREATED WITH ISOTRETINOIN Although there have been case reports suggesting a relationship between treatment with the acne medication isotretinoin (Accutane) and the development of depression and suicide, this topic remains controversial. In order for isotretinoin to cause depression it must have an effect on the brain; however no studies to date have examined the effects of isotretinoin on brain function in acne patients. The purpose of this study was to assess the effects of isotretinoin on brain function in acne patients. Brain function was measured with [F-18]-2-fluoro-2-deoxyglucose (FDG) positron emission tomography (PET) before and after four months of treatment with isotretinoin (N=13) and antibiotic (N=15). Isotretinoin (but not antibiotic) treatment was associated with decreased brain metabolism in the orbitofrontal cortex (-21% change versus a +2% change for antibiotic) (p<0.05), a brain area known to mediate symptoms of depression. There were no differences in severity of depressive symptoms between the isotretinoin and antibiotic treatment groups before or after treatment. This study suggests that isotretinoin treatment is associated with changes in brain function.

Program No. 437.15. 2004 Abstract Viewer/Itinerary Planner. Washington, DC: Society for Neuroscience, 2004. Online. S.A. Ferguson, F.J. Cisneros, J.P. Hanig, B. Gough, K.J. Berry. CHRONIC ORAL ACCUTANE (ACC), BUT NOT ALL-TRANS-RETINOIC ACID (ATRA), TREATMENT CAUSES BEHAVIORAL ALTERATIONS IN THE FORCED SWIM TEST The anti-acne drug, ACC (isotretinoin, 13-cis-retinoic acid), is associated with depression, suicide ideation and suicide. The potential confounds inherent in human research necessitated the current animal study. Here, male and female Sprague-Dawley rats (n=6/sex/dose) were gavaged with 0 (soy oil), 7.5, or 22.5 mg/kg/day ACC beginning on postnatal day 82. Previous work indicates that 7.5 mg/kg produces blood ACC levels similar to those of humans taking recommended ACC doses (1 mg/kg/day). As a comparison for in vivo isomerization of ACC, separate groups of rats were gavaged with 10 or 15 mg/kg/day ATRA (n=6/sex/dose). After 7 weeks of chronic treatment, a forced swim test was conducted on two consecutive days. Each rat was placed in an inescapable cylindrical tank of 25oC water for 10 (day 1) or 5 (day 2) min. Tests began ~ 1 hour post-gavage. Dive frequency and durations of active swimming, immobility (including floating), and climbing/struggling were measured. Neither ACC nor ATRA altered diving or swim durations. ATRA treatment had no effect on any other measured behavior. However, rats treated with 7.5 mg/kg ACC engaged in longer durations of climbing/struggling and shorter durations of immobility than controls (p<.05). This ACC treatment effect did not interact with test session (day) or sex, although there were significant main effects of session and sex, and the effect was not caused by alterations in locomotor activity (see accompanying abstract for lack of open field activity changes). In general, short immobility and long climb/struggle durations are indications of decreased depression (i.e., antidepressant treatment shortens immobility time). Thus, ACC doses which produce blood levels similar to humans cause behavioral alterations in a rodent assessment designed to assess depression.

Ann N Y Acad Sci. Sakai Y, Crandall JE, Brodsky J, McCaffery P. 13-cis Retinoic acid (accutane) suppresses hippocampal cell survival in mice. Use of the acne drug Accutane (13-cis retinoic acid, [13-cis RA]) has been associated with severe depression. This association has been considered controversial because no causative link has been found between 13-cis RA and this disorder. A recent hypothesis has suggested that atrophy of the hippocampus can result in depression. We now show, in a mouse model, that endogenous RA generated by synthetic enzymes in the meninges acts on hippocampal granule neurons, and chronic (3-week) exposure to a clinical dose of 13-cis RA may result in hippocampal cell loss. In humans this may be conjectured to be the mechanism by which Accutane contributes to depression.

#2 dimjimm

• 28 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:33 PM

These studies are mice and use doses that are rather high, but the first shows striking results. Does anyone have any recommendations for my case? I thought I would run it by some brainiacs here who might think of interventions given what was learned through these studies. SSRI's and talk therapy have not helped with my depression, indeed SSRI's made me excessively tired/sleepy only.

I believe your doc is legeally required to warn you about possible side effects of accutane. Don't you have to sign a release or something?

Anyway, AKAIK SSRIs are only so-so at repairing the type of damage mentioned in your refs. Since, it seems appear that your depression stems from a decrease in brain metabolism and physical atrophy rather than a chemical imbalance I don't think that an SSRI is the correct antidepressant for you. I just can't understand why the medical industry insists on subjecting every depression patients to the unecessary side-effects of SSRIs.

As you probably know there's been a lot of research recenly into the role of brain atrophy in depression and how it can be reversed by BDNF and other nerve growth factors. Certain antidepressants and nootropics are especially good at increasing BDNF. I'll include an abstract of a study that found that Reboxetine, a Norepinephrine Reputake Inhibitor, increased BDNF levels better than an SSRI.

You've probably said elsewhere what you are doing in the way of nootropics. I'll just mention that of the popular nootropics ALCAR, deprenyl, and Ashwagandha and a few others have all been shown to increase BDNF.

Also the abstract mentions the importance of exercise for improving brain function, a fact that should be mentioned more often on this board.

Edited by dimjimm, 11 May 2005 - 03:19 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 wannafulfill

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:45 AM

Thanks a lot for your input! I was warned of the side effects, but the risks of becoming depressed were presented to seem very small and temporary.

Could you post that abstract you mention? I take alcar, but not deprenyl or ashwagandha. I know they aren't the same, but I do take bacopa. Do you think it might do me some good to try deprenyl and ash? How else can I help out BDNF? Thanks!

#4 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:27 AM

Interesting stuff. I suspect that besides working to increase healthy levels of Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) it would also be wise to get some of the basic building components of brain cells such as the omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and a smaller amount of DHA as in many fish oil supplements.

The following site is a bit old but has links to some of the data. Take a look at the threads on fish oil supplements here in this forum to see if you might find a better source than what is talked about at this URL:

http://www.mercola.c.../depression.htm

#5 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:22 AM

Chip,

Mercola...is interesting, but in general is not a reliable source of info (some of what he says is correct, some if you check it out, is not).

#6 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:38 AM

I was just being lazy and grabbed one of the first URLs I came across that had a few links to other studies as well as a mention of Andrew Stoll's book.

#7 dimjimm

• 28 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:10 PM

Could you post that abstract you mention?

I can't believe I forgot to post the abstract! Obviously these "smart drugs" are not working :)

I take alcar, but not deprenyl or ashwagandha. I know they aren't the same, but I do take bacopa.

I can't find anything about Bacopa increasing BDNF. But it does help relieve stress, and stress is harmful to the brain. I also recommend L-Theanine for stress relief.

Do you think it might do me some good to try deprenyl and ash?

Not sure, Ashwagandha and low dose deprenyl are well established therapies. Personally I really like Ash, but I don't really feel anything with my 3mg per week of deprenyl. I guess you could try adding one or both to your stack and see how it goes.

How else can I help out BDNF? Thanks!

Again there's exercise, calorie restriction, some types of asian ginseng and there's the more extreme nootropics like Nefiracetam & Galantamine. Also the 'ractems have been shown to increase neuronal plasticity, though not BDNF and pyritinol is really good for brain metabolism.

But you best bet is to try get your doc on board with the BDNF strategy, maybe even try to get one of those brain scans.
--------

Hippocampal brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression following treatment with reboxetine, citalopram, and physical exercise.

Russo-Neustadt AA, Alejandre H, Garcia C, Ivy AS, Chen MJ.

Department of Biological Sciences, California State University, Los Angeles, CA 90032, USA. arusson@calstatela.edu

The antidepressants, reboxetine and citalopram, were used in conjunction with voluntary physical exercise (wheel running) in order to assess the contribution of noradrenergic and serotonergic activation to enhancements in hippocampal brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) expression resulting from antidepressant treatment and exercise. Reboxetine (40 mg/kg/day), citalopram (10 mg/kg/day), voluntary physical activity, and the combination of antidepressants with exercise were applied to rats for a range of treatment intervals (2 to 14 days). Hippocampal BDNF transcription levels (full-length BDNF, as well as exons I-IV) were then assessed via in situ hybridization.Reboxetine treatment led to a rapid (evident at 2 days) enhancement in BDNF transcription in several hippocampal regions. This increase was also observed when reboxetine treatment was combined with voluntary physical activity for 2 weeks. Treatment with citalopram led to an increase in BDNF mRNA in only one hippocampal region (CA2) after short-term (2 days) treatment, and when combined with exercise, increased BDNF mRNA in the CA4 and dentate gyrus after 2 weeks. As reported in previous studies, voluntary physical activity enhanced BDNF transcription in several hippocampal areas, both on its own and in combination with antidepressant treatments. Examination of the levels of individual BDNF transcript variants influenced by each of these antidepressants revealed distinct patterns of expression in response to the various treatments, and showed that exercise-plus-antidepressant produced significant changes where antidepressant alone failed. Overall, treatment with the norephinephrine-selective antidepressant, reboxetine, in combination with exercise, led to both rapid and sustained increases in hippocampal BDNF mRNA expression. The serotonergic agent, citalopram, appeared to require longer treatment intervals in order to influence BDNF expression positively.

PMID: 15199375 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#8 riemann_zeta

• 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:57 PM

Accutane is quite cytotoxic and mutagenic. In my opinion, it is far too dangerous to be indicated for simple acne. Many of the side effects of accutane are similar to those of old-school anti-neoplastics like 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and other cytotoxic chemotherapy drugs. Still, many doctors do not hesitate to prescribe it, as they are likely unaware of the more toxic side-effects. Annecdotally, a number of my friends that have taken accutane have experienced depression, psychotic-spectrum effects and even low-grade peripheral neuropathy.

As for your case, have you tried bupropion? It is a bulky N-substituted amphetamine that acts as a dopamine and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor. In cases of depression that are accompanied by fatigue and are unresponsive to simple 5-HT reuptake inhibitors, it can be a miracle drug (at least it was for me). I am unaware of its effects on peptide neurotrophic factors, but it has been shown to increase neurogenesis (or at least ameliorate neuropathy) in the hippocampus. Also, as mentioned, long-chain fatty acids such as DHA and EPA are helpful in treating disorders of synaptic function such as depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia (as adjunctivje therapies--don't expect DHA/EPA monotherapy to be a cure). In addition, you might want to try adding a multi-spectrum B-vitamin complex and a drug such as piracetam to your current therapy.

#9 wannafulfill

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:50 AM

1: Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004 Apr 6;101(14):5111-6. Epub 2004 Mar 29. Related Articles, Links

13-cis-retinoic acid suppresses hippocampal cell division and hippocampal-dependent learning in mice.

Crandall J, Sakai Y, Zhang J, Koul O, Mineur Y, Crusio WE, McCaffery P.

E. K. Shriver Center, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Waltham, MA 02452, USA.

The active component of the acne drug Accutane is 13-cis-retinoic acid (RA), and it is highly teratogenic for the developing central nervous system. Very little is known, however, regarding the effect of this drug on the adult brain. Regions of the brain that may be susceptible to RA are those that continue to generate new neurons. In the adult mouse, neurogenesis is maintained in the hippocampus and subventricular zone. This report demonstrates that a clinical dose (1 mg/kg/day) of 13-cis-RA in mice significantly reduces cell proliferation in the hippocampus and the subventricular zone, suppresses hippocampal neurogenesis, and severely disrupts capacity to learn a spatial radial maze task. The results demonstrate that the regions of the adult brain where cell proliferation is ongoing are highly sensitive to disruption by a clinical dose of 13-cis-RA.

PMID: 15051884 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#10 wannafulfill

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:42 PM

Lifemirage (and anyone else please), what would you recommend to me as someone who may have significantly reduced cell proliferation in the hippocampus and the subventricular zone, suppressed hippocampal neurogenesis, hippocampal cell loss, and decreased brain metabolism across the brain, esp in the orbitofrontal cortex?

Also, some experts have posited that accutane damages dopamineg pathways, leading to significantly reduced numbers of D3 and D4 receptors. Are things like BDNF or NGF capable of at least partially reversing this damage?

Thank you very much!

#11 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:07 AM

Lifemirage (and anyone else please), what would you recommend to me as someone who may have significantly reduced cell proliferation in the hippocampus and the subventricular zone, suppressed hippocampal neurogenesis, hippocampal cell loss, and decreased brain metabolism across the brain, esp in the orbitofrontal cortex?

Also, some experts have posited that accutane damages dopamineg pathways, leading to significantly reduced numbers of D3 and D4 receptors. Are things like BDNF or NGF capable of at least partially reversing this damage?

Thank you very much!

NGF compounds: Lion's Mane, Idebenone, Hydergine.

Bromocriptine may be helpful for short term use as well.

Guggul (75 mg guggulsterones) daily for 3 months is Very effective for acne by the way.

#12 ageless

• 219 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:22 PM

I was also on accutane and am searching for answers to get back my brain, health and hair.
I was young and naive I suppose and under the guidance of professionals I assumed knew best, but have since learned just how little they know.
10 years later, I am still hurt and frustrated by my experience and have a new, less respecting opinion of mainstream medicine and the BigPharma Bullshit.
I find motivation and energy still lacking along with depressive symptoms. Experiences in life have shown that I do not deal well in stressful situations as I would like and concentration/focus has been low.
I believe in the dopamine connection based on theory. Should I try L-tyrosine?

Thanks. And pray for me.

#13 wannafulfill

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:30 AM

NGF compounds: Lion's Mane, Idebenone, Hydergine.

Bromocriptine may be helpful for short term use as well.

Guggul (75 mg guggulsterones) daily for 3 months is Very effective for acne by the way.

Thank-you for the good advice. Despite the damage, accutane was able to clear my skin 80%. I am active and so a little hesitant to use guggulsterone because it is a good antagonist of the androgen receptor and agonist of the estrogen receptor. I wonder if this is how it works... Of course, if I had known about guggul before I would have certainly tried it before accutane. Here's the abstract of the cool study Lifemirage was referencing:

1: J Dermatol. 1994 Oct;21(10):729-31. Related Articles, Links

Nodulocystic acne: oral gugulipid versus tetracycline.

Thappa DM, Dogra J.

Department of Dermatology, C.G.H.S., Bajaj Nagar, Jaipur, India.

Twenty patients with nodulocystic acne were randomly allocated to one of two treatment schedules: 1) Tetracycline 500 mg or 2) Tab. Gugulipid (equivalent to 25 mg guggulsterone). Both were taken twice daily for 3 months, and both produced a progressive reduction in the lesions in the majority of patients. With tetracycline, the percentage reduction in the inflammatory lesions was 65.2% as compared to 68% with gugulipid; on comparison, this difference was statistically insignificant (P > 0.05). Follow-up at 3 months showed a relapse in 4 cases on tetracyline and 2 cases on gugulipid. An interesting observation was that the patients with oily faces responded remarkably better to gugulipid.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 7798429 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#14 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:23 AM

Guggul would only be used for 3 months. Otherwise I have had good results with people on ClearLight which is a Very effective FDA approved UV light. 1 month of treatments can cure if not greatly help most cases.

#15 notshorty

• 30 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:56 PM

For my first post on the imminst.org forums, I'd like to BUMP this thread [lol]

wannafulfill, any luck with your nootropic regimen since your last post? I've also done two cycles of Accutane at 40mg, 2x/day and want to counteract the decline in cognition/memory I've experienced.

The following article (although I haven't gotten the chance to study it in depth yet) indicates a possible Accutane-induced decrease in cognition and memory, and an increase in incidence of Alzheimer's as a result of accumulation of beta amyloid:

http://www.max001.pr...read=1119630571

Sorry for the wordiness [glasses] . What I'm trying to say is that I want my brain to work good. :)

At the risk of sounding like "hey, what do you think of my stack?" or "advice for a first-timer," I'd like to know if there are specific areas I should be seeking to improve.

1. I'm already taking a multivit, minerals, B-Complex, Omega 3's, probiotic.
2. Have been having VERY noticeable positive results with L-tyrosine at about 3g/day
3. Should be receiving Piracetam and Alpha GPC from Bulk Nutrition later this week.
4. Am dying to get my hands on Hydergine, although that prob won't be for a while.

These forums are REALLY fascinating, thanks for any feedback guys!

NS

#16 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:38 AM

I'm interested in this thread as well... I took Accutane for a period of five months when I was 17 years old, and have had some issues since then that may be related. Reading this stuff about damage to dopaminergic pathways is making me cringe, and I think it might be connected to my chronic lack of motivation, mild depression, and mild ADD symptoms.

#17 zorblart

• 20 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:58 AM

Just curious LifeMirage - but would taking guggal interact with deprenyl at all? (or any other nootropic that you know of)

Cheers,
zorblart

#18 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 02:54 AM

I wonder why no one hasn't mentioed strongly about saw palmetto yet. Take it if you suspect your acne is mainly hormonal. look for ones with 90-95% sterols and fatty acids a serving, 160-320mg a day. these too:
o6 borage oil - 1g or
o6 evening primrose oil - 1.3g x2
o3 epa-dha 2:1 - 1g

#19 spiritus

• 71 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 03:37 AM

I was much more depressed before accutane, because of the acne.

The drug has changed my life permanently for the better.

#20 revival

• 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:55 AM

I was also on accutane and am searching for answers to get back my brain, health and hair.

I also underwent 2 courses of roaccutane. It cured my acne, but now many years later I also suspect it had an adverse effect on my health and hair. I'm not sure if it affected my mental capacity, but I do regret taking it. It is an extremely powerful drug and I researched the risks, but at the time I had very bad acne and was desperate.

#21 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:17 AM

Okay, so SSRIs and the some supps are good at promoting neurogenesis. Are there any others? Offhand I remember that bacopa raises antioxidant enzyme levels in the brain.

#22 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE (LifeMirage)

Just curious LifeMirage - but would taking guggal interact with deprenyl at all? (or any other nootropic that you know of)

Cheers,
zorblart

No interaction that I am aware of.

#23 notshorty

• 30 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:43 AM

It's been a long day, but I'd just like to give a quick update.

I really like the L-tyrosine, B6, Alpha GPC, Piracetam stack (and Bulk Nutrition has earned themselves a new loyal customer). I've noticed significant positive results, although that is just my subjective opinion.

I don't have health insurance, so I can't get blood work to analyze beta-amyloid levels (the possibility of using Hydergine will stay on the back burner for a while).

I've also introduced the good ol' ECA stack (well, technically it's just an EC stack at the moment) and would have to say that it has very clean and long lasting effects, with a fantastically gentle comedown as compared to methylphenidate. Although I do get jittery if I only eat small meals, and I am exploring something to cycle onto so that I am only using ECA a few days per week. I'd like to try synephrine, which is found in many of the non-ephedra thermogenic stacks, and probably chocamine.

I'm just starting to read up on nicotine-mediated hippocampal release of Acetylcholine. This may be beneficial as I have chewed pouch tobacco in the past (without becoming addicted), and could probably make use of it responsibly for the next few years of school...

*YES, I am a student, and my interest in nootropics is so that I may someday contribute to a greater good.

Now, time to investigate the metabolism of the orbitofrontal cortex. [thumb]

NS

#24 power.bulls.x

• 115 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:04 PM

i am an accutane user and yes accutane reduced my mentale edge/motivation/... in a bad whay juste after 7day at 20mg/day. iam 68 kg.

gugulipids +some B5+zinc+uv light = look promisings but is mutch money on my cheap ass.

#25 wannafulfill

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:25 AM

I'd doubt you would get those effects after just 7 days. Most people don't notice anything until around 90 days AFTER finishing a full 5 month course on the drug (which you shouldn't do anyway IMO). Either way it would be a good idea to stop taking it right away if you haven't already.

#26 wannafulfill

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:27 AM

The more I learn about life and about myself, the less I think accutane was involved in my depression. That said, I deeply regret having taken it. It's proven to be unhealthy enough.

#27 yopomug

• 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:22 AM

Okay, so SSRIs and the some supps are good at promoting neurogenesis. Are there any others? Offhand I remember that bacopa raises antioxidant enzyme levels in the brain.

Yes, there are! The magic word of the day is, tianeptine... I'm surprised it hasn't already been mentioned! I've read a bunch of studies on it (published in the last few years, I might add -- this is recent stuff) that suggest very strongly that it is a very good agent at promoting neurogenesis. It has a strong antiapoptotic effect and it also seems to promote overall cerebral metabolism (for example, it enhances, rather than blocks, uptake of seretonin).

wannafulfill, it seems you're looking for something that will not only help repair some of the neurological damage your treatment with acutaine may have caused, but also something that will help you feel better now.

I think tianeptine may be what you're looking for. Google for basic information, or, if you're interested, I have full copies (in *pdf) of most of the major human research on the drug. I'd be happy to send you as much as you'd like.

One of my favorite nootropics, btw, is idebenone: it can have some mild antidepressant effects, is certainly quite good for the brain & body and will probably stimulate cerebral metabolism.

#28 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:07 AM

I also underwent 2 courses of roaccutane. It cured my acne, but now many years later I also suspect it had an adverse effect on my health and hair. I'm not sure if it affected my mental capacity, but I do regret taking it. It is an extremely powerful drug and I researched the risks, but at the time I had very bad acne and was desperate.

I took accutane several years ago (5-6) back when I was in high school. I do not think that I am any dumber today because of it, but it might have reduced my hairline...I have been wondering about that. When I was using it I can remember seeing more hair fallout than usual as I ran my hand through my hair while in the shower. I don't think that I am currently losing hair, but I have wondered if it caused my hairline to receed slightly on the right and left front sides of my head. I wonder if there is more evidence of this. I do not recall hairloss as being a possible symptom. Overall though, I still would have used it. My acne caused more depression than I remembered from the accutane. I tried three other drugs before Accutane and at the time I did not have another option. Maybe an alternative exists today, not sure. I was a bit paranoid about the monthly blood-tests and the possibility that I could need steroids if things got ugly.

I wonder what caused my acne in the first place. No other members of my family have experienced it as bad as I did. Freshman year everything was fine, sophomore year things got ugly fast. I was using moisturizers on my face starting freshman year, but I stopped about 4 months before the acne explosion of my sophomore year. Maybe that had something to do with it. I don't know.

#29 jubai

• 130 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:33 AM

The problem with Accutane is that the commonly used dosages, 10-60 mg a day are way too much.

I began taking it at 2-3 mg a day for my Rosacea, and even there it had a tremendous impact on skin oil, pores, resistance to heat, capillaries, tone, everything, after my first cycle of 2 weeks.

I noticed no side effects from this 10% dosage that is still has a VERY powerful effect on the body!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 maggie74

• 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:45 PM

The problem with Accutane is that the commonly used dosages, 10-60 mg a day are way too much.

I began taking it at 2-3 mg a day for my Rosacea, and even there it had a tremendous impact on skin oil, pores, resistance to heat, capillaries, tone, everything, after my first cycle of 2 weeks.

I noticed no side effects from this 10% dosage that is still has a VERY powerful effect on the body!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users