Photo
- - - - -

Accutane and the Brain

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 maggie74

• 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:48 PM

Well I won't say yea or nay on Accutane as I haven't taken it. I've heard lots of things...mostly bad, BUT a few good as well. My experience has been with natural herbs and that's not just for mild acne. I had cystic acne for years and at the end of my rope, I tried Alternative medicine. Just passing along that there are other alternatives folks. http://www.skintreatmentwebsite.com Good Luck!

#32 csquared

• 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:48 AM

bump^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 csquared

• 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:49 AM

Has anyone come to a conclusion about a good stack for long term accutane side effects??? Any new information on this topic?

#34 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

My wife took accutane as a teenager and now at 43 is messed up.

She takes wellbutrin, lamictil and lamotrogine(sp?) just to 'be normal.' We didn't meet until she was 36 or I might have been able to help her. She has been diagnosed as
having low levels of dopamine.

Before she was on the cocktail above, she took paxil for 13-14 years.

#35 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

Just as accutane destroys acne while at the same time it destroys the brain, so too, in the other direction, supps that strengthen the brain might amplify acne. I noticed a peculiar type of skin bumps/small acne with use of bacopa, ashwagandha, and vitamin B 12, bumps located on my forefront in general, and between the eyebrows and the ears in particular; this aside, lithium is notorious for its induction of acne (even though it's great for both depression and neuro-regeneration in the prefrontal cortex).

As I remember from biology, the epidermis and the neurons are likely to be tightly coupled systems, as they both derive from the ectoderm; i.e. many of the genes that control one, are likely to be involved in the control of the other as well (pleiotropy).

This means that managing to both control acne and enhance the brain is close to walking a tight rope.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#36 csquared

• 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:17 AM

Just as accutane destroys acne while at the same time it destroys the brain, so too, in the other direction, supps that strengthen the brain might amplify acne. I noticed a peculiar type of skin bumps/small acne with use of bacopa, ashwagandha, and vitamin B 12, bumps located on my forefront in general, and between the eyebrows and the ears in particular; this aside, lithium is notorious for its induction of acne (even though it's great for both depression and neuro-regeneration in the prefrontal cortex).

As I remember from biology, the epidermis and the neurons are likely to be tightly coupled systems, as they both derive from the ectoderm; i.e. many of the genes that control one, are likely to be involved in the control of the other as well (pleiotropy).

This means that managing to both control acne and enhance the brain is close to walking a tight rope.

This is interesing and seems to be very true in my experience. At this point managing acne is not a concern of mine. I took accutane for six months at 17 in 2005 when I was naive and thought that clear skin was a priority. Accutane has the potential to wreck your sex drive, your hair, your mind and overall well being.

If there is anyone on here who has some advice about this or has gone through a similiar experience and would just like to talk, PM me.

Also I'll say that I urge anyone considering accutane not to take it. I read plenty of threads/articles that warned of the dangers however the accutane brocheurs make it seem as if only a tiny percentage of people experience any of the side effects. The reality is the company wouldn't have to list such a wide variety of side effects if there were not people who had experienced them. Don't tell yourself that you will go off the drug and everything will be fine. A lot of these problems can linger for years, and for some people it seems forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users