Lostfalco's Extensive Nootropic Experiments [Curated]

nootropic

• Please log in to reply
4019 replies to this topic

#331 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

The number one thing is speed. My thoughts are just lightning fast...way faster than they've ever been. The most interesting thing about it to me is that it's that way all the time. It's not like I dose in the morning and then slow down four hours later. This is part of what I mean when I say I feel changed. This just seems to be how I am now. It makes sense given the proposed effects of PQQ and photobiomodulation. I just have to make sure I get enough calories.

Ah I'm glad you mentioned that last part off the cuff, I think perhaps I had been under-eating in relation to the new metabolic demands now placed on my brain and body. I crashed earlier in the middle of the day, then when I woke up I remembered you'd written that and thought I may perhaps be hypoglycaemic or that some kind of bottleneck was going on in terms of energy usage in my brain. After that I ate a massive lunch and all of a sudden I'm alert again. I think the problem may perhaps be that I generally eat low-carb, yet the brains primary fuel source is glucose, and it's demand is probably being vastly upregulated by my wide-ranging application of TULIP. I know you're a big fan of Dave Asprey's work, and he incorporates the low-carb approach into his dietetic advice. I'm interested in what your overall approach to diet is (sorry, huge question I know.. maybe just some pointers so too much of your time is not wasted), and also whether or not you've found a need to ramp up the carbs on this regimen, or compensate in other areas?

The third thing I've noticed is actually related to the speed factor...sociability. Conversations are moving in slow motion for me now. I'm just ahead of the people I'm talking too. You know that feeling when the other person is talking and you are desperately searching your thoughts for what to say next? I just don't have that right now. I feel three steps ahead with multiple options at every step as to where I want to take the conversation. I made a very cute, fit doctor (she's probably 28) laugh so hard a few days ago that she pretty much started crying. She asked if I wanted to see her new car and go for a drive and I had to tell her I had a girlfriend (awkward). She said to call her if I was ever single. I've spent a number of years working on social skills, but this was just effortless. Regardless, my goal is not to sleep with a hundred people, it's to help a hundred patients.

It's interesting that you had this experience. I noticed that I seem to have greater social magnetism also, however I didn't attribute it to speed. In fact I haven't noticed too much of a speed increase, more of an increased fluency of thought. I mean, almost flawless; once a thought, spoken or otherwise, begins to flow its force remains unbroken and its much easier to weave explanations together skilfully on the fly. Though perhaps this is an increase in speed manifesting in a way, since my thought processes were somewhat fragmented before, which I hadn't really even noticed. Either way, I think the increase in mental energy is apparent to others - and it naturally comes off as a kind of confidence. Without wanting to sound too mystical I think the word radiance applies aptly here.

This brings me to my last point. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't stack amazingly well many of the traditional nootropics. Does anyone see any possible problems combining this with CILTEP? Anybody want to try it and report back?

I tried combining it with CILTEP and got a minor headache. Nothing too severe, but definitely out of the ordinary as I never get them. I have however used it on days inbetween laserings to good effect. I have a vague, potential hypothesis - cAMP overload

According to the PQQ wiki page -
  • PQQ triggers the CREB signaling protein (cAMP-response element-binding protein), which plays a pivotal role in embryonic development and growth. It also beneficially interacts withhistones, proteins involved in the packaging and nuclear organization of cell DNA.[14] CREB also stimulates the growth of new mitochondria.
It also seems that Low-level laser therapy (LLLT) acts as cAMP-elevating agent in acute respiratory distress syndrome. [source] Since the mechanism of action on the mitochondrial metabolic level is universal, and cAMP is an aspect of the metabolic process, then cAMP is elevated in the brain also. [see diagram on page 10 of this pdf for confirmation].

Two parts of the CILTEP stack also raise cAMP (forskolin) and inhibit it's degradation(PDE4 inhibitor of choice).

I think this four-fold action causes just way too much cAMP for the brain to deal with, causing headaches and other unpleasantries.

#332 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:51 AM

The number one thing is speed. My thoughts are just lightning fast...way faster than they've ever been. The most interesting thing about it to me is that it's that way all the time. It's not like I dose in the morning and then slow down four hours later. This is part of what I mean when I say I feel changed. This just seems to be how I am now. It makes sense given the proposed effects of PQQ and photobiomodulation. I just have to make sure I get enough calories.

Ah I'm glad you mentioned that last part off the cuff, I think perhaps I had been under-eating in relation to the new metabolic demands now placed on my brain and body. I crashed earlier in the middle of the day, then when I woke up I remembered you'd written that and thought I may perhaps be hypoglycaemic or that some kind of bottleneck was going on in terms of energy usage in my brain. After that I ate a massive lunch and all of a sudden I'm alert again. I think the problem may perhaps be that I generally eat low-carb, yet the brains primary fuel source is glucose, and it's demand is probably being vastly upregulated by my wide-ranging application of TULIP. I know you're a big fan of Dave Asprey's work, and he incorporates the low-carb approach into his dietetic advice. I'm interested in what your overall approach to diet is (sorry, huge question I know.. maybe just some pointers so too much of your time is not wasted), and also whether or not you've found a need to ramp up the carbs on this regimen, or compensate in other areas?

The third thing I've noticed is actually related to the speed factor...sociability. Conversations are moving in slow motion for me now. I'm just ahead of the people I'm talking too. You know that feeling when the other person is talking and you are desperately searching your thoughts for what to say next? I just don't have that right now. I feel three steps ahead with multiple options at every step as to where I want to take the conversation. I made a very cute, fit doctor (she's probably 28) laugh so hard a few days ago that she pretty much started crying. She asked if I wanted to see her new car and go for a drive and I had to tell her I had a girlfriend (awkward). She said to call her if I was ever single. I've spent a number of years working on social skills, but this was just effortless. Regardless, my goal is not to sleep with a hundred people, it's to help a hundred patients.

It's interesting that you had this experience. I noticed that I seem to have greater social magnetism also, however I didn't attribute it to speed. In fact I haven't noticed too much of a speed increase, more of an increased fluency of thought. I mean, almost flawless; once a thought, spoken or otherwise, begins to flow its force remains unbroken and its much easier to weave explanations together skilfully on the fly. Though perhaps this is an increase in speed manifesting in a way, since my thought processes were somewhat fragmented before, which I hadn't really even noticed. Either way, I think the increase in mental energy is apparent to others - and it naturally comes off as a kind of confidence. Without wanting to sound too mystical I think the word radiance applies aptly here.

This brings me to my last point. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't stack amazingly well many of the traditional nootropics. Does anyone see any possible problems combining this with CILTEP? Anybody want to try it and report back?

I tried combining it with CILTEP and got a minor headache. Nothing too severe, but definitely out of the ordinary as I never get them. I have however used it on days inbetween laserings to good effect. I have a vague, potential hypothesis - cAMP overload

According to the PQQ wiki page -
  • PQQ triggers the CREB signaling protein (cAMP-response element-binding protein), which plays a pivotal role in embryonic development and growth. It also beneficially interacts withhistones, proteins involved in the packaging and nuclear organization of cell DNA.[14] CREB also stimulates the growth of new mitochondria.
It also seems that Low-level laser therapy (LLLT) acts as cAMP-elevating agent in acute respiratory distress syndrome. [source] Since the mechanism of action on the mitochondrial metabolic level is universal, and cAMP is an aspect of the metabolic process, then cAMP is elevated in the brain also. [see diagram on page 10 of this pdf for confirmation].

Two parts of the CILTEP stack also raise cAMP (forskolin) and inhibit it's degradation(PDE4 inhibitor of choice).

I think this four-fold action causes just way too much cAMP for the brain to deal with, causing headaches and other unpleasantries.

Hey Opaque, I just copied and pasted your response onto Abelard's thread because I thought it was very insightful. Hopefully we can get some info straight from the horse's mouth.

Edited by lostfalco, 11 July 2013 - 01:56 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#333 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

The vetrolaser isn't an unaffordable purchase, since its a one time purchase. Is there any reason this laser would be better than the stuff on ebay?

Seems I have to revisit my unfinished bottle of PQQ.

Opaque, may I ask how old you are and how you are using the vetrolaser? Im worried about investing in a purchase that will not work for me.

#334 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

The vetrolaser isn't an unaffordable purchase, since its a one time purchase. Is there any reason this laser would be better than the stuff on ebay?

Opaque, may I ask how old you are and how you are using the vetrolaser? Im worried about investing in a purchase that will not work for me.

The vetro is probably better built, so will most likely last longer/be less likely to fail. Other than that, as long as the specifications are the same, there is no reason they would differ in efficacy. I went for the vetro because I was concerned there could be shadow specs which differed from the vetro, which LF had already established worked well.

I'm 21 by the way. I may have also suffered chemical and physiological mangling of my grey matter as a youth due to consistent, prolonged and varied drug experimentation. I may also be a neurological hypochondriac. I think a bit of both perhaps. I say this just to point out that I may not have very typical neural architecture. Whether that plays a part in my response to the laser though, I have no idea.

#335 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

The vetro is probably better built, so will most likely last longer/be less likely to fail. Other than that, as long as the specifications are the same, there is no reason they would differ in efficacy. I went for the vetro because I was concerned there could be shadow specs which differed from the vetro, which LF had already established worked well.

I'm 21 by the way. I may have also suffered chemical and physiological mangling of my grey matter as a youth due to consistent, prolonged and varied drug experimentation. I may also be a neurological hypochondriac. I think a bit of both perhaps. I say this just to point out that I may not have very typical neural architecture. Whether that plays a part in my response to the laser though, I have no idea.

Thats great! (21 is so young) - I think I also have an atypical brain profile. How are you using it on your head? I'm very tempted by the vetrolaser as thats two people who have gotten good results from it.

I should wait and wait for falco to report back on the cheaper one.

#336 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Also, good idea Mr Falco, some advice from Abelard himself would be a great idea! I was thinking that trying just a PDE4 inhibitor with TULIP would help elevate cAMP while possibly avoiding overload... I'll try this tomorrow :)

By the way, if you find a cheap source for PQQ let us know will you? I have a feeling its going to burn a giant hole in my wallet. Perhaps wit would be cheaper to get a custom synthesis of the stuff since it's active in quite small doses?

#337 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

Thats great! (21 is so young) - I think I also have an atypical brain profile. How are you using it on your head? I'm very tempted by the vetrolaser as thats two people who have gotten good results from it.

I should wait and wait for falco to report back on the cheaper one.

If I was any normal minded person I would have given more concern to the process. My gung-ho attitude stems directly from the fact that it felt like I had nothing to lose. As long as you understand that long-term application of LLLT to the brain in healthy individuals has not been studied, then I can recommend it in good conscience. My protocol is to hit all 20 EEG sites, every other day. I had to shave my head to do this. It was definitely worth it.

#338 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

Hey ML, I got the Vetro because it matched the published studies pretty well, didn't cost $4000 (like many lasers), and was a medical device (quality control is better). I was pretty much flying blind back then because Dave and Zawy were the only people I'd heard of doing this at home. Now that a few of us have started experimenting, I think we can do better for much cheaper. The (conservative) skin irradiance limit is 320mW/cm2. I bought a 200mW, 808nm laser off of ebay for $50 total. I'm pretty sure this will work but I need to test the output before I can fully recommend it. If you want to be an early adopter and try this out, here is the laser I bought. http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a0d587b69 All you have to do is plug it in.

It arrived with the proper markings on it indicating that it is 808nm and 200mW. The laser module itself gets warm after 5 to 10 minutes of continuous use but I don't see a serious problem here. I've aimed it at my hand and everything seems to be good so far. Tbh, I would buy three of these, attach them together, plug them into an outlet strip, and plug that into the wall before I'd buy the Vetro. You'd have more output and could laser in a fraction of the time for only $150. We could also go up to 300mW per diode and make it even faster. However, for an initial test run I say just buy one $50 laser and start there. After all, PQQ and CoQ10 are not cheap either. I'll report back once I've tested the output (again, this might be a few weeks).

#339 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

Also, good idea Mr Falco, some advice from Abelard himself would be a great idea! I was thinking that trying just a PDE4 inhibitor with TULIP would help elevate cAMP while possibly avoiding overload... I'll try this tomorrow :)

By the way, if you find a cheap source for PQQ let us know will you? I have a feeling its going to burn a giant hole in my wallet. Perhaps wit would be cheaper to get a custom synthesis of the stuff since it's active in quite small doses?

I bought some Artichoke Extract last night as well. I'm probably gonna wait till the weekend to test it out, just in case. I'm still doing great on the core stack, wbu? Did adding a few extra calories help?

#340 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

Yeah I'm still doing great on it... I think (a little early to tell perhaps, only fourth day on TULIP) I can feel a gradual increase in my baseline cognition, in many areas. Some cool stuff I've noticed is that my motor control and manual dexterity is enhanced, along with creativity. Jams are more fun and energetic. I also sing way better, I think because my emotions and thinking patterns are more integrated, so I can call upon the reservoirs of feel when the time requires :) After poor sleep, which seems to be stabilizing, I'm still somewhat zombied, then again I pretty much always feel that way. Eating bigger amounts of munch definitely helps replete my energy/alertness levels, though not without a dip first. That is why I try not to eat too many carbs, they make me pretty lethargic. Do you have any insight into that? What do you do wrt food? Have you found much need to increase your intake? Also, I'm curious, have you tried using the laser anywhere else yet? I was thinking you could probably hit T3 and T4 without needing to shave your bonce!

EDIT; handwriting is also way neater. And I have greater sensory acuity. I feel so IN the world, as opposed to my previous state of viewing it from behind frosted glass and hearing it behind giant earmuffs

Edited by OpaqueMind, 11 July 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#341 mait

• 256 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

OK! Pulled a trigger on this PQQ combo: http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649

I will report back on how it works. I have used PQQ by LEF 1 year ago so I should have at least some vague comparison basis to assess this Thailand vendor's product.

Edited by mait, 11 July 2013 - 08:00 PM.

#342 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

I will report back on how it works. I have used PQQ by LEF 1 year ago so I should have at least some vague comparison basis to assess this Thailand vendor's product.

That's awesome Mait. Thanks man. $14.99 + $9.00 shipping would be an amazing total for both PQQ and CoQ10. Each one individually costs me more than that here. Looking forward to your feedback.

#343 MasterHerb

• 173 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

That's awesome Mait. Thanks man. $14.99 + $9.00 shipping would be an amazing total for both PQQ and CoQ10. Each one individually costs me more than that here. Looking forward to your feedback.

I ordered some last night as well. Lostfalco I will order to laser too after I hear your feedback on the cheap one from ebay.

#344 Skp30

• 10 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:53 AM

Lostfalco, I'm really looking forward to hearing your update on the Ebay laser. I'm tempted to buy the vetrolaser asap, but money's a bit tight at the moment so will wait until your update. I really appreciate this thread you've started and I've learned so much from it! Thanks!

#345 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:30 AM

the vetrolaser has a 30day money back guarantee so if it doesn't work I guess you can return it. I don't understand why the vetrolaser has 3 diodes, it looks like a more solid product - i'm wondering would there be any underlying specs that are different like beam focus, coherence, pulse etc. Not that I know anything about lasers.

Its stunning expensive, but the price of a mobile phone or tablet isn't unaffordable if it works...that said I anxiously wait for result from the cheaper laser, and may buy one. I've seen those go for $7 to $20 in china's taobao.com the equivalent of ebay in china. Though not being able to read chinese makes the site hard to navigate. Will post link later - no wonder noone has invested in this endeavor.

#346 Skp30

• 10 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

Legend, thanks for letting me know that. I do like that it has a 30-day money back guarantee in case the alternative works almost/just as well. Though spendy, it is priceless if it can help w/some underlying issues I have. I've no idea about lasers either but I see that it's a very solid medical device and if I'm going to be using it on myself, it's probably best not to cut any corners. But if the Ebay one works just as well, then more money to purchase the Bulletproof Vibration plate :)

#347 trophic

• 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

I'm a 20yo male with a debilitating condition of brain fog, fatigue and hormone problems that have continued for the past 2 years and were most likely originally caused by late-stage Lyme disease. I've tried pretty much every treatment imaginable, and almost everything makes me feel worse or has no effect. Since I don't really have anything to lose at this point, I ordered a Vetrolaser after seeing lostfalco's post. I'm not expecting much, but I'll give it a try to see what happens.

Before these problems began getting bad 2 years ago, I was an extremely active and high-performing college student, but I am now on medical leave. I won't go into too much detail here, but some of my problems include:

constant brain fog and mental fatigue
detachment/depersonalization, complete lack of emotion, anhedonia
no motivation/interest or ability to focus
decreased cognitive function and low verbal fluidity
sleep problems
adrenal fatigue (messed up cortisol patterns, low DHEA-S)
hypothyroidism (not currently on any thyroid medication because it makes me feel worse)
secondary hypogonadism (currently treating with Clomid)
low heart rate and blood pressure
chronic GI issues, mostly constipation/bloating/indigestion/slow motility
cerebral hypoperfusion (shown by SPECT scan)
high mercury levels (hair, blood, and urine) although never had any dental fillings

I was treated with an aggressive long-term antibiotic protocol for Lyme but most of my symptoms remain. Chronic inflammation and mitochondrial dysfunction most likely play a central role in my continuing condition, which is why I am trying LLLT. Do any of you have any specific suggestions for how I should try using the Vetrolaser for my condition? Also, even though LLLT currently seems like it might be safe, what do you think are the theoretical mechanisms by which it could potentially have harmful effects in the short or long-term?

I'm also probably going to try tDCS, but I haven't decided which product to buy yet.

I've also tried pregnenolone, and it was one of the few treatments that actually helped, at least initially. I first tried it in the oral form, and it made all of my symptoms improve significantly. However, as I continued to take it, it would only make me feel more fatigued and feel worse than I had before. I also tried it in sublingual and transdermal forms in varying doses, but these also only caused marginal improvement while making me feel much more fatigued. I've experimented with it a few times since, but I still can't figure out a way to take it without crashing a few hours after.

Since I'm trying some of the treatments that are being discussed in this thread, I'll post updates with my results. I'd also appreciate any input from you guys.

Thank you to lostfalco and everyone else for contributing your thoughts and experiences.

Edited by trophic, 13 July 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#348 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

Lostfalco, I'm really looking forward to hearing your update on the Ebay laser. I'm tempted to buy the vetrolaser asap, but money's a bit tight at the moment so will wait until your update. I really appreciate this thread you've started and I've learned so much from it! Thanks!

No problem. Thanks for reading my craziness. =)

I would definitely recommend holding off on the Vetro for now. I'll let you know as soon as I test the ebay laser. I know we can make this affordable for everyone...it might just take a little trial and error.

#349 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

the vetrolaser has a 30day money back guarantee so if it doesn't work I guess you can return it. I don't understand why the vetrolaser has 3 diodes, it looks like a more solid product - i'm wondering would there be any underlying specs that are different like beam focus, coherence, pulse etc. Not that I know anything about lasers.

Its stunning expensive, but the price of a mobile phone or tablet isn't unaffordable if it works...that said I anxiously wait for result from the cheaper laser, and may buy one. I've seen those go for $7 to $20 in china's taobao.com the equivalent of ebay in china. Though not being able to read chinese makes the site hard to navigate. Will post link later - no wonder noone has invested in this endeavor.

Those are good questions ML. The best known wavelengths so far are 660, 808/810, 830, and 1064. There is debate as to whether LED systems are just as effective as lasers. The consensus seems to be that both are effective, but LEDs take longer. Preliminarily, pulsing seems to be better than continuous, but both work. Some of the pilot studies have used mixed wavelengths, some in the 600 range and others in the 800 range. It's still an open question as to whether mixed wavelengths would have a different/better effect than only one at a time. It will definitely be important to keep an eye on the future direction of the research...especially the exciting stuff that Gonzalez-Lima is doing at UT Austin.

#350 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

I ordered some last night as well. Lostfalco I will order to laser too after I hear your feedback on the cheap one from ebay.

Very cool. I'm glad that we've got a couple of us testing this. I really hope it's effective.

I'll keep you updated on the laser.

#351 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

Yeah I'm still doing great on it... I think (a little early to tell perhaps, only fourth day on TULIP) I can feel a gradual increase in my baseline cognition, in many areas. Some cool stuff I've noticed is that my motor control and manual dexterity is enhanced, along with creativity. Jams are more fun and energetic. I also sing way better, I think because my emotions and thinking patterns are more integrated, so I can call upon the reservoirs of feel when the time requires :) After poor sleep, which seems to be stabilizing, I'm still somewhat zombied, then again I pretty much always feel that way. Eating bigger amounts of munch definitely helps replete my energy/alertness levels, though not without a dip first. That is why I try not to eat too many carbs, they make me pretty lethargic. Do you have any insight into that? What do you do wrt food? Have you found much need to increase your intake? Also, I'm curious, have you tried using the laser anywhere else yet? I was thinking you could probably hit T3 and T4 without needing to shave your bonce!

EDIT; handwriting is also way neater. And I have greater sensory acuity. I feel so IN the world, as opposed to my previous state of viewing it from behind frosted glass and hearing it behind giant earmuffs

It's so cool that you mention this Opaque. I've independently noticed the motor control and coordination enhancements as well.

I don't want to go too deep into dietary thoughts because I'm still working a number of things out in this area. I wanted to enhance my brain and then use that enhanced brain to study diet more effectively. I can say that I've only had to increase my total caloric intake a little and I think that has helped maintain my energy levels. I too try to stay away from huge portions of carbs in a single sitting. I think the massive blood sugar spike followed by the body's attempt at realignment leads to the temporary sluggishness. The nice thing is, however, that once the realignment occurs I usually feel really good again.

If anyone is about to start this protocol I think it would be cool if you could test your baseline reaction time before beginning. I definitely have the subjective feeling that my reaction time is improved but I didn't check beforehand. I'd love to hear some firsthand reports on this.

#352 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

Those are good questions ML. The best known wavelengths so far are 660, 808/810, 830, and 1064. There is debate as to whether LED systems are just as effective as lasers. The consensus seems to be that both are effective, but LEDs take longer. Preliminarily, pulsing seems to be better than continuous, but both work. Some of the pilot studies have used mixed wavelengths, some in the 600 range and others in the 800 range. It's still an open question as to whether mixed wavelengths would have a different/better effect than only one at a time. It will definitely be important to keep an eye on the future direction of the research...especially the exciting stuff that Gonzalez-Lima is doing at UT Austin.

Falco, one of the earlier authors you recommended us to read ( I think in the first page) mentioned specifically that laser was more effective for brain photomodulation than " light therapy" because laser penetrates deeper.

Without much scientific knowledge firsthand - it seems to make sense. LED lights probably can provide the same effect with longer exposure times and more specific EEG site placement, but it seems logical that a laser would be able to deliver energy faster, deeper and scatter a larger area of effect, especially for people who don't have a helmet rig set up, where the lights can be placed evenly around the entire head with longer periods of time.

Edit: Here:

All light-induced biological effects depend on the parameters of the irradiation (wavelength, dose, intensity, irradiation time, and continuous wave or pulsed mode, pulse parameters). According to action spectra, optimal wavelengths are 820-830, 760, 680, and 620 nn. Large volumes and deeper layers of tissues can successfully irradiated by laser only (e.g. inner and middle ear diseases, injured siatic or optical nerves, deep inflammations etc.). The LED's are excellent for irradiation of surface injuries.

http://laserhealthsy...resentation.htm

good article on photobiomodulation. hope this helps

as promised here is the chinese site:
http://item.taobao.c...&id=25743172678

about $7 USD, I think this one has no power adaptor though - just showing why companies would never make money from selling these lasers.

Edited by Major Legend, 13 July 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#353 aarfai

• 75 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

In regards to the Methylene Blue and LLLT article (http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23806754) wouldn't it be beneficial to use a source of negatively charged hydrogen ions as an electron donor (http://www.amazon.co...=hydrogen boost) instead of MB and some of its MAOI interactions?

#354 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

I've found that an extremely effective place to look for future nootropic experiments and ideas is the World Doping Agency's Banned Drugs List. They probably wouldn't take the time to ban something unless it was effective (and/or dangerous!). Many of these substances are legal (though most are not). In fact, high dose caffeine was on the list until 2004. I wonder how many athletes tested positive for espresso!? Obviously, EXTREME caution and a massive amount of research should be done before ingesting any of these, but in reasonable doses some of them can be safe and beneficial for the brain (ex. Phenylpiracetam/Carphedon).

Check out the list here:
http://en.wikipedia....om_the_Olympics

#355 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

In regards to the Methylene Blue and LLLT article (http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23806754) wouldn't it be beneficial to use a source of negatively charged hydrogen ions as an electron donor (http://www.amazon.co...=hydrogen boost) instead of MB and some of its MAOI interactions?

Hey Aarfai, thanks for the idea and the link! I'm not familiar with HydrogenBoost. Could you tell me more about it? Studies? Also, have you used it in the past?

Methylene Blue seems to be pretty safe at nootropic doses of 60mcg. At higher doses, the monoamine oxidase inhibition, gut flora decimation, etc...and all the problems associated with those seem to come more into play (though I could be wrong). There are also CoQ10 and Idebenone interactions to worry about as well. Personally, I haven't taken it and I'm still learning about it. If you have some extra info I'd totally be interested in reading it. =)

Here are some of the MB threads here on Longecity. Thanks to chrono for this list.
Methylene Blue Experiences
Methylene Blue Dosing and Products
Methylene Blue Research
Methylene Blue and MAO Inhibition

Edited by lostfalco, 14 July 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#356 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

Anybody live near Boston? Check this out! Dr. William Tyler's http://www.tylerlab....ects/ultrasound company Neurotrek http://neurotrek.com/ will pay you $100 to try out Transcranial Ultrasound Stimulation. Can somebody go try this and report back? That would be really cool. Looks like it's filling up fast, but there are some spots left for August. Here's the link. http://neurotrek.youcanbook.me/

Stimulate your brain! Participate in our cognitive enhancement research project.

At Neurotrek, we are using non-invasive brain stimulation to develop products that enhance cognitive abilities.
We are looking for subjects to participate in an ongoing research project at our site in Boston.
The details:
  • At our Cognitive Testing Facility in The Prudential Center in Boston
  • Two sessions, each lasting one hour, on separate days
  • Each session includes
    • Non-invasive brain stimulation
    • Biometric assessment
    • Computerized tasks and questionnaires
  • You will receive compensation of $100 ($50 per session)
Click on any available starting time (blue) to sign up for a 60-minute testing session

Click on the arrow to the right to schedule a session during an upcoming week. (Please note, we only book up to three weeks in advance so please check again in the future if you can't find a convenient time.)
After signing up, you will have an opportunity to learn more about the study and cancel your participation at any time.
  • like x 2

#357 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:47 AM

Here's some info from Dr. Tyler's website in case you want to learn more about TUS. Sorry about posting so much. I get a little excited about this stuff. =)

Novel therapeutic treatment of nervous system disorders represents one of the most significant and unmet needs in modern medicine. Deep-brain Stimulation (DBS) strategies have been shown to be remarkably effective for treating a number of neurological and psychiatric conditions including Parkinson’s Disease, dystonia, essential tremor, epilepsy, chronic pain, major depression, migraines, as well as a number of other conditions. Unfortunately, because of the invasiveness of the procedure and risks associated with surgical implants in the brain, this type of therapy is often a last resort for most patients after other treatment options have been exhausted.

All currently implemented approaches to the stimulation brain circuits suffer from a limitation or weakness. Pharmacological and chemical methods lack brain target specificity and have numerous metabolic requirements. Electrical methods, such as deep-brain stimulation offer a higher targeting specificity, but require surgery and brain impalement with electrodes. Optogenetic-based methods using light-activated ion channels or transporters offer unrivaled spatial resolution, but require genetic alteration. Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) and transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) do not require invasive procedures, but suffer from poor spatial resolutions of ≈ 1 cm.

Posted Image

Considering the above limitations, a remaining challenge for neuroscience is to develop improved stimulation methods for use in intact brains. To address this need, we have been developing noninvasive brain stimulation technology employing pulsed ultrasound, which can be noninvasively focused through the intact skull even to deep-brain regions. Our ultrasonic neuromodulation technology may be useful in numerous brain stimulation applications as depicted below.

Posted Image

Edited by lostfalco, 15 July 2013 - 12:48 AM.

#358 Psionic

• 187 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

Here is some full papers recommended directly by Dr. Tyler in order to build the TMS device and use it for animal lab testing if anyone interested :)

If proven to be more effective than tDCS hopefully it will gain much more attention.

Attached Files

#359 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

I'm a 20yo male with a debilitating condition of brain fog, fatigue and hormone problems that have continued for the past 2 years and were most likely originally caused by late-stage Lyme disease. I've tried pretty much every treatment imaginable, and almost everything makes me feel worse or has no effect. Since I don't really have anything to lose at this point, I ordered a Vetrolaser after seeing lostfalco's post. I'm not expecting much, but I'll give it a try to see what happens.

Before these problems began getting bad 2 years ago, I was an extremely active and high-performing college student, but I am now on medical leave. I won't go into too much detail here, but some of my problems include:

constant brain fog and mental fatigue
detachment/depersonalization, complete lack of emotion, anhedonia
no motivation/interest or ability to focus
decreased cognitive function and low verbal fluidity
sleep problems
adrenal fatigue (messed up cortisol patterns, low DHEA-S)
hypothyroidism (not currently on any thyroid medication because it makes me feel worse)
secondary hypogonadism (currently treating with Clomid)
low heart rate and blood pressure
chronic GI issues, mostly constipation/bloating/indigestion/slow motility
cerebral hypoperfusion (shown by SPECT scan)
high mercury levels (hair, blood, and urine) although never had any dental fillings

I was treated with an aggressive long-term antibiotic protocol for Lyme but most of my symptoms remain. Chronic inflammation and mitochondrial dysfunction most likely play a central role in my continuing condition, which is why I am trying LLLT. Do any of you have any specific suggestions for how I should try using the Vetrolaser for my condition? Also, even though LLLT currently seems like it might be safe, what do you think are the theoretical mechanisms by which it could potentially have harmful effects in the short or long-term?

I'm also probably going to try tDCS, but I haven't decided which product to buy yet.

I've also tried pregnenolone, and it was one of the few treatments that actually helped, at least initially. I first tried it in the oral form, and it made all of my symptoms improve significantly. However, as I continued to take it, it would only make me feel more fatigued and feel worse than I had before. I also tried it in sublingual and transdermal forms in varying doses, but these also only caused marginal improvement while making me feel much more fatigued. I've experimented with it a few times since, but I still can't figure out a way to take it without crashing a few hours after.

Since I'm trying some of the treatments that are being discussed in this thread, I'll post updates with my results. I'd also appreciate any input from you guys.

Thank you to lostfalco and everyone else for contributing your thoughts and experiences.

Hey Trophic, thanks for posting man. I really hope the Vetro works for you. I'm not sure that it will solve the underlying issues, but hopefully it will help with some of the brain related symptoms. It does enhance mitochondrial function and cerebral blood flow, so there's definitely a chance it will work. The PQQ and CoQ10 protocol might be something else to look into once you've tried the Vetro out for a while by itself. Those three together have probably been the best thing I've ever tried. Please do keep me posted. If that protocol doesn't work we can talk about some other possible combinations to try. Everybody's biology is a little different.

As far as tDCS goes, the least expensive option is this $40 device. http://tdcs-kit.com/ I haven't tried it myself, but check with alexburke over in the tDCS thread. http://www.longecity...d/page__st__330 I think he bought one and it seems to be significantly helping him with his schizophrenia. At that price, it's definitely worth a try.

Another idea to look into might be Russian peptide bioregulators. These were developed with massive funding from the Russian military during the Cold War by Dr. Vladimir Khavinson. They are small peptide chains (usually 3-5 amino acids long) that go into gene promoter sites and cause gene expression. There are peptides for the immune system, circulatory system, nervous system, adrenal glands, etc. They are extremely safe and there have been virtually no side effects in thousands of patients over the past 35 years. I've tried a number of them and they were excellent. This is the best article. http://www.antiaging...tide-revolution

I bought mine here: http://www.antiaging...-bioregulartors
You can also find more peptides here: http://peptideworldc...szulas-peptidek
And here are the liquid peptides: http://peptideworldc...yekony-peptidek

Here's Prof. Vladimir Khavinson's homepage. http://www.khavinson.ru/

Here's an excellent summary of the concept of peptide bioregulators. http://www.khavinson...ation-of-ageing

Here's a full-text pdf on the effects of peptide bioregulator Pinealon in Wistar rats. http://www.khavinson...on_Ribakova.pdf

I hope you find some relief from the brain fog and fatigue you are suffering. Lyme disease is a really difficult one to crack.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#360 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:38 AM

Here is some full papers recommended directly by Dr. Tyler in order to build the TMS device and use it for animal lab testing if anyone interested :)

If proven to be more effective than tDCS hopefully it will gain much more attention.

Thanks for those links Psionic! I'm really excited about the focality possibilities with TUS. It has the ability to target deep brain areas in a way that tDCS and TMS just don't have. I can't wait to see the results of Dr. Tyler's study.

btw, Are you still doing lllt? I seem to remember that you were trying it out at one point.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By