Lostfalco's Extensive Nootropic Experiments [Curated]

nootropic

• Please log in to reply
4019 replies to this topic

#1291 AscendantMind

AscendantMind
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

Props to both of you, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who very much appreciates your idea and your commitment.

Love your avatar by the way, Valentine! :)

Thank you very much :-D

Excellent choices in names as well, though I'm hoping you're not really siblings, haha. :-D

Edited by AscendantMind, 20 October 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#1292 Ender Q

Ender Q
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

My fiance' and I have chosen to embark on a quest for brain optimization. We intend to log and record as much data as we possibly can in order to accurately observe the effects of the procedures we are going to do. We plan on starting with TULIP and proceeding from there.

Hey Ender Q, I'm excited to see your enthusiasm for self-testing. I do have some suggestions though.

First, I really don't think you should start on a ketogenic diet AND TULIP at the same time. You will be confounding variables and, a few months down the road, you won't know whether TULIP or the ketogenic diet was the cause of whatever results you experience. They may interfere or conflict with each other. This will make it much less likely for you to continue either, since you won't have hard data.

Instead, I would suggest that you take a more patient, but ultimately much more powerful approach, and only test one item at a time. Perhaps a month or three months for TULIP. Then, switch to a ketogenic diet and see what happens. Keep in mind that these diets are not useful for everyone; we all have different bodies. Never assume that anything is universally effective.

This is the order in which I am testing things:

1. Complete nutrition; that is, I ensured that I was getting healthy but not toxic amounts of every vitamin and mineral. This is the end product of a few years of work, actually, but too complex to go into here.

2. TULIP for 1-3 months, measured monthly with Cambridge Brain Sciences. If results are good, I will continue; if not, I will abandon it.

3. Detoxifiers like oxaloacetate and glutathione. (With increased oxidation that may be caused by TULIP, this may be helpful for preventing damage).

4. nIR HEG.

5. Oxygen.

6. Neurotrophic interventions.

7. Neurofeedback.

8. Dual N-Back.

9. Nootropics.

I designed this sequence so that each step would build on the previous ones. I realize this will take months, perhaps years; but when I am done I will be able to have complete confidence in each enhancement modality. I didn't want to rush in and do everything because I've been burned by that before, and it also tends to be expensive. I recommend that you be similarly cautious, but do as you will. :)

I really like your approach, AscendantMind. We are definitely going for long lasting results. More of a lifestyle change than a quick fix. When it comes to diet, I think what I have gathered so far is that we mainly need to stop eating junk. Cutting out wheat, dairy, (though keeping grassfed butter for BP coffee) chips, corn, soda etc... Then on top of that focus on eating healthy things like liver, grass fed meats, seafood, vegetables and good fruits. We have to be careful not to try to adhere to a regimen that will be impossible to adopt. If we use our knowledge of nutrition as a guideline, rather than rules, I believe we will acclimate ourselves in the best possible way.

So much goodness on this website. Can't wait to dive deep.

P.S. Definitely feeling the expensive nature of self experimentation right now! :D

#1293 perceivethinkact

perceivethinkact
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

I must agree with ender that adopting a ketogenic diet would confound results as it has quite a strong effect on many systems, good, bad, and in-between. It is also quite ascetic/restrictive which is fine in the short run but in the longer run can have some negative psychological impacts that result in cravings and binging. I'm no stranger to restricted/extreme eating modes, having tried them all, and ultimately, living in this society, i feel it's unhealthy to force it.

I would much more recommend what you've stated, just cutting out junk and eating balanced (which is a nebulous word, different for everyone). Cutting grains (especially gluten), most dairy, processed, foods high in PUFA, etc.. The best carbs are fresh whole fruit, secondly winter squashes, thirdly roots and tubers like potatoes, yams, beets, carrots, etc.. occasional seafood and shellfish like oysters, clams, mussels, crab, shrimp, etc.. and non-oily fish like cod, halibut. Favoring gelatinous meats like oxtail and shoulder and shank and broths. Not overloading on fibrous/goitrogenic vegetables, and cooking your veggies well. Chard is great as its packed with minerals, not goitrogenic, and digests easy. I'd say these are good basic guidelines that are a great place to start for overall health.

My fiance' and I have chosen to embark on a quest for brain optimization. We intend to log and record as much data as we possibly can in order to accurately observe the effects of the procedures we are going to do. We plan on starting with TULIP and proceeding from there.

Hey Ender Q, I'm excited to see your enthusiasm for self-testing. I do have some suggestions though.

First, I really don't think you should start on a ketogenic diet AND TULIP at the same time. You will be confounding variables and, a few months down the road, you won't know whether TULIP or the ketogenic diet was the cause of whatever results you experience. They may interfere or conflict with each other. This will make it much less likely for you to continue either, since you won't have hard data.

Instead, I would suggest that you take a more patient, but ultimately much more powerful approach, and only test one item at a time. Perhaps a month or three months for TULIP. Then, switch to a ketogenic diet and see what happens. Keep in mind that these diets are not useful for everyone; we all have different bodies. Never assume that anything is universally effective.

This is the order in which I am testing things:

1. Complete nutrition; that is, I ensured that I was getting healthy but not toxic amounts of every vitamin and mineral. This is the end product of a few years of work, actually, but too complex to go into here.

2. TULIP for 1-3 months, measured monthly with Cambridge Brain Sciences. If results are good, I will continue; if not, I will abandon it.

3. Detoxifiers like oxaloacetate and glutathione. (With increased oxidation that may be caused by TULIP, this may be helpful for preventing damage).

4. nIR HEG.

5. Oxygen.

6. Neurotrophic interventions.

7. Neurofeedback.

8. Dual N-Back.

9. Nootropics.

I designed this sequence so that each step would build on the previous ones. I realize this will take months, perhaps years; but when I am done I will be able to have complete confidence in each enhancement modality. I didn't want to rush in and do everything because I've been burned by that before, and it also tends to be expensive. I recommend that you be similarly cautious, but do as you will. :)

I really like your approach, AscendantMind. We are definitely going for long lasting results. More of a lifestyle change than a quick fix. When it comes to diet, I think what I have gathered so far is that we mainly need to stop eating junk. Cutting out wheat, dairy, (though keeping grassfed butter for BP coffee) chips, corn, soda etc... Then on top of that focus on eating healthy things like liver, grass fed meats, seafood, vegetables and good fruits. We have to be careful not to try to adhere to a regimen that will be impossible to adopt. If we use our knowledge of nutrition as a guideline, rather than rules, I believe we will acclimate ourselves in the best possible way.

So much goodness on this website. Can't wait to dive deep.

P.S. Definitely feeling the expensive nature of self experimentation right now! :D

#1294 empedocles

empedocles
  • 42 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

This is amied at Lostfalco
I have been using the LLLT therapy approach for two weeks now , with less than stellar results, up to the point that i feel that my brain is being "pummeled" , currently I have worked my way up to 9 sites covering BA 47/10 for 1 minute per site (2 days on 1 off 2 on 2 off). After each application i feel a little dizzy and vey tired (indeed i sleep like a corpse), i use the small LED array (from your profile), i have also been taking PQQ for the full two weeks now.
I started at 15 secs per region and worked up to 1 minute, effects currently :
Beneficial
Ultra clear vision
Not so beneficial
Brain fog
mild persistant headache
lack of cognitive enhacement in comparison to my own gold standard (noopept)

My Question, am i doing to much , should i cut back down or persevere at current rates and benefits will come ?

Edited by empedocles, 20 October 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#1295 Strangelove

Strangelove
  • 792 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:24 PM

It seems that some people have quick positive results and some not so much, for either one, how is your (subjective) general energy levels?

I had mostly side effects (sleepiness, feeling tired) and my energy levels were pretty bad to begin with, I am taking care some (subtle) chronic infection and some posture/spinal issues making me extra tired and giving me brain fog and getting back into it!

#1296 empedocles

empedocles
  • 42 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

It seems that some people have quick positive results and some not so much, for either one, how is your (subjective) general energy levels?

I had mostly side effects (sleepiness, feeling tired) and my energy levels were pretty bad to begin with, I am taking care some (subtle) chronic infection and some posture/spinal issues making me extra tired and giving me brain fog and getting back into it!

I have similar side effects to yourself, my self percieved energy status is one of constant "lag" so much so i was considering dropping this approach in favour of Modafinil. However, reading all the scam stories and poor availability in uk has put me off this now.

I have just gotten over a major infection myself (3 months of anti biotics and multicourse at that).

I do think that i might be expecting to much of this approach though, my stress levels at the moment are through the roof with no way in sight of them dropping (final submission date of late december for my PhD thesis), my goal in starting the LLLT was to increase focus and energy levels for the incredibly tedious task of writing up.

#1297 lostfalco

lostfalco
  • Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

Greetings fellow bio-hackers and health nuts!

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this glorious thread. It is truly representative of the vibrant community here at Longecity. The vibe here is incredible!

What's up Ender and Valentine? Awesome to have you guys here!

I totally agree about the Longecity community. I'd like to reiterate my thanks as well to people like BigPapa, Ascendant, Zawy, Nattzor, Chris, Rikelme, Stephen_b, Frigger, and MANY more (sorry, I know I left out many of you guys!). I've learned a ton from all of you. I appreciate your time, effort, and thoughtful contributions.

That being said, I believe it is finally time that I contributed to the movement happening here. My fiance' and I are about to begin a journey through the world of cognitive enhancement, and we couldn't be more excited about it. As I have been browsing this thread (among others) I couldn't help but notice the lack of data about individual's results. Several times in this thread I have seen a plea for more concrete data and empirical evidence. Of course, it is understandable. After all, who has the time and effort to log test scores and record notes to measure the efficacy of their self-experimentation?

Well... we do.

Very cool. The more quantification, the better! I'll have to get back to you on specific tests.

I believe we are in a revolutionary age, and any way that we can help improve the world is an avenue worth pursuing.

Agreed. We need more people like you guys. =)

I am terribly sorry if this post doesn't belong here of if it in some way diminishes the awesome conversations taking place. I will make a new thread once I work out the details on exactly how to make this work. I'm thinking of titling it “Down the Rabbit Hole” (courtesy of my better half) hehe.

MAJOR shout-out to Lostfalco and the obscene amount of time and research he has put into this thread.

Doesn't diminish it at all. Thanks so much for your kind words! I can't wait to hear what you guys discover.
  • like x 1

#1298 lostfalco

lostfalco
  • Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:26 AM

I have similar side effects to yourself, my self percieved energy status is one of constant "lag" so much so i was considering dropping this approach in favour of Modafinil. However, reading all the scam stories and poor availability in uk has put me off this now.

I have just gotten over a major infection myself (3 months of anti biotics and multicourse at that).

I do think that i might be expecting to much of this approach though, my stress levels at the moment are through the roof with no way in sight of them dropping (final submission date of late december for my PhD thesis), my goal in starting the LLLT was to increase focus and energy levels for the incredibly tedious task of writing up.

Hey Empedocles and Strangelove...I'm sorry to hear that LLLT/PQQ hasn't been working for you guys so far. I have my suspicions that bacterial infections and mitochondrial biogenesis/enhancement might not go well together. In fact, there has been a steady stream of anecdotes pointing toward this conclusion in this thread and others that I've been active on recently. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any studies that address this directly.

My tentative recommendation is to take a break from TULIP, make sure that the infection is completely resolved, and then try again after that. I think that Strangelove is on the right track with his approach.

Edited by lostfalco, 21 October 2013 - 02:32 AM.

• like x 2

#1299 Ender Q

Ender Q
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

Kinda off topic, but I have been reading this paper that you suggested (Lostfalco) http://evans-experie..._timebind01.htm and am pretty much blown away by the implications of the content. Is there any suggested/further reading you can recommend that is in a similar vein?

I am curious as to the potential of having a "nootropic" effect by changing one's worldview and optimizing reality.

#1300 Strangelove

Strangelove
  • 792 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

Kinda off topic, but I have been reading this paper that you suggested (Lostfalco) http://evans-experie..._timebind01.htm and am pretty much blown away by the implications of the content. Is there any suggested/further reading you can recommend that is in a similar vein?

I am curious as to the potential of having a "nootropic" effect by changing one's worldview and optimizing reality.

I am interested for similar material as well, I think that structuring your internal reality is as important as "puting your life in order".

If you liked that paper maybe you want to read this?

http://www.amazon.co...LFRED KORZYBSKI

Presently I am reading this and its interesting.

http://www.amazon.co...rule your world

#1301 BigPapaChakra

BigPapaChakra
  • 199 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

This is related in a way: http://ieet.org/arch...ioHappiness.pdf In Praise of Bio-Happiness.

I think that is what we are on the verge of, if we can continue to group together massive amounts of information/research and personal anecdotes via quantified self routes such as this thread, or possibly something more organized (hmm... possibly a Quantified-Mind test/page/thread on TULIP!?!).

It seems plausible that we can essentially create a state of mind in which we are happy, satisfied and fulfilled, while simultaneously motivated and creative, while eliminating negative feed-back loops that would lead to boredom. This was alluded to earlier in the thread when someone posted the email about the Euon device and using it to target/activate the Reticular Activating System and decreasing the size of the amygdala. Dr. Peat alluded to this, as well, to me in an email speaking about bliss being the 'default' human state and activating the endocannabinoid system via restricting and eating certain fats. I actually theorize the endocannabinod system may have played a role in our evolution.

#1302 lostfalco

lostfalco
  • Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

While I would like to take credit for posting something that impacted you...I can't in this case. =) I wasn't the person that recommended that link. Does anyone know who did?

#1303 basicallyyes

basicallyyes
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

Hey Falco, I know that of course everyone is different and will respond at different times but can you please tell me as close as you can remember when you very first felt the benefits of using your vetro laser?

#1304 perceivethinkact

perceivethinkact
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

Ender and Strangelove

Korzybski's work can have profound effect on ones perception. Unfortunately his books are incredibly dense and hard to penetrate. I highly recommend Robert Anton Wilson's Quantum Psychology, which handles Korzybski's ideas in a fun, yet still challenging style. The book is old, but the ideas are still cutting edge. It completely changed the way I perceive the world to this very day.

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/1561840718/

I am interested for similar material as well, I think that structuring your internal reality is as important as "puting your life in order".

• like x 1

#1305 lostfalco

lostfalco
  • Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:56 AM

What do you guys think of the Earthpulse? Anyone ever tried it?
http://www.earthpuls..._mistaken_as_pr

I'm reading Robert O. Becker right now (sorry it took me so long BigPapa =))...very fascinating stuff. http://www.amazon.co...electric becker

#1306 perceivethinkact

perceivethinkact
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:58 AM

I've tried the Earthpulse for about a month and returned it. Did not notice anything. Not to say it doesn't have benefit. Some poeple have had profound results.

The guy who designed it and runs the company is kind of flaky. I've heard a lot of not so great things.

That book is excellent falco. Though he warned about just the type of advice that the earthpulse is.

I'm reading Robert O. Becker right now (sorry it took me so long BigPapa =))...very fascinating stuff. http://www.amazon.co...electric becker

#1307 lostfalco

lostfalco
  • Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:28 AM

I've tried the Earthpulse for about a month and returned it. Did not notice anything. Not to say it doesn't have benefit. Some poeple have had profound results.

The guy who designed it and runs the company is kind of flaky. I've heard a lot of not so great things.

That book is excellent falco. Though he warned about just the type of advice that the earthpulse is.

Thanks for the feedback frigger...I appreciate it! I'm really liking Becker's book so far. Which warning are you referring to? (I assume you meant 'device' not 'advice'=))

#1308 BigPapaChakra

BigPapaChakra
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:22 AM

Yes Falco!!!! Haha, Becker has some fascinating work. There are so many others I want to read, such as Mae-Wan Ho who has some fascinating work regarding our current state of affairs with genetic engineering.

I've also heard mixed reviews about the EarthPulse - some people love it and say it has benefited not only their sleep, but their concentration and alertness (alpha waves?), increased mood, better workout recovery, etc. Some say they noticed nothing. Then, others say it depends on the setting you put it on.

If anyone is interested in really getting into that realm of enhancement, look into the Magnetico Sleep pad. The Doctor who invented it is a real down to earth man, and the company is amazing. They work out really great payment plans for such an expensive product. I may be speaking to the guy who made em soon regarding my brother, and I'm trying to negotiate something so I can get one for my brother to use because he definitely needs something like that. So far everyone I've spoken to via forums or facebook (that has tried it) has said it without a doubt has benefited them. Some people go through a phase where they feel weak or lethargic for a week or so, but then after that they feel fantastic. This makes a lot of sense when you read the literature on magnetism or go through all the anecdotal reports, because just like TULIP, you will be enhancing ATP of the cells, changing cell voltage, affecting the structure of cellular water, moving lymph throughout the body, etc. I have come across a BUNCH of cool gadgets that I would love to get a hold of for me and my brother - I'll post them in a bit. A good amount is based off of Tesla's work, then some others on Becker's, some on Schauberger, and so on.

#1309 BigPapaChakra

BigPapaChakra
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:38 AM

Here is one interesting biohacker tool: apparently they work out payment plans for at home units (there are two kinds, Photon Genie, and Photon Genius)

Here is Dr. Dean Bonlie, inventor of the Magnetico, speaking about the Magnetico Sleep Pad, Magnetic Acupuncture, etc:

Here is another magnetic, 'beneficial EMF' device: http://www.magnopro-usa.com/

Thread on use of other magnets, making magnetic bracelets, etc.: http://www.jackkruse...un-with-Magnets

Dr. Klinghardt on Tesla Energy Coils: (this dude totally reminds me of the mad scientist from Back To The Future, lol)

This is a magnetic device that was shown on Dave Asprey's CreativeLive Webinar: http://somapulse.com/

I have a bunch more too, let me continue looking through Evernote, haha.
  • like x 1

#1310 BigPapaChakra

BigPapaChakra
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:52 AM

Not sure of the mechanism of action, but recommended by Dr. Klinghardt: http://www.bemer-par...up/DHS/welcome/

Found this through Dr. Gordon: http://www.amajordifference.com/ for detoxing.... I wonder if it can help detox halides?

Various wavelength sauna: http://www.sunlighten.com/ you can get full spectrum - near, medium and far infrared, or single wavelengths, I believe.

Here is some amazing stuff that seems capable of rigging up at home (DIY): http://www.bobbeck.com/ blood electrification, and so on. People on CureZone seem to be having success with the protocol.

On a side note, there is the vielight, an intranasal red/IR light unit, but someone on the Bulletproof Forums stated he is making them and they will eventually be ready for sale for $50!!! Also, I've seen people on CureZone claiming to try to irradiate their blood with red light through sublingual mechanisms - shining the light at the area under their tongue. I wonder if that would work?

I've come up with a lot of applications on red light lately, and if my hunch is correct, you should be capable of exposing yourself to mixed frequencies of red light as much as you want (all day?) for healing and protecting your retina (enhanced vision?), staying alert at night without disrupting melatonin, using as a light therapy unit for MUCH less than most, mitochondrial energy, etc. Just don't quote me yet, I have a lot of research to do, but I believe this may work and have many applications.

I may have posted this before, but: http://www.oirf.com/...-biophoton.html

Also: http://www.anodynetherapy.com/

#1311 BigPapaChakra

BigPapaChakra
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:04 AM

Now besides all the techy-crap, I've found some other things worth looking into. Dr. Peat is a large fan of CO2, so is Dr. Sircus (the magnesium dude, lol), and that is what the whole idea of Buteyko Breathing is built upon - intentionally reduced breathing to retain CO2 in your body. I had purchased the BreathSlim a long time ago, and that should help retain CO2, and it does help a lot. So, here are a few things regarding CO2:
1. Buteyko Breathing
2. Breathing into a paper bag intermittently (I started doing this and it does make me noticeably more calm, centered, etc. as well as enhancing focus and general well-being)
3. http://www.breathslim.com/
4. http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0014DRFP0

Then, I found some more interesting things regarding CO2, that seem to make it extremely interesting to me in particular (I'm sure to others as well):
1. http://de1.erowid.or...n_article1.html Carbogen, a mixture of CO2/O2, is a psychedelic-like compound...?
2. http://de1.erowid.or...y=ID=80817.html
"February 2, 1956. I first met Al Hubbard on this date, as a result of previous correspondence. During the course of our talking together, he acquainted me with CO2, describing it as another one of the agents which shuts down the cortical mind, thus allowing access to the deep unconscious. In this case, it acts vary quickly, giving one a high boost, and can be controlled by the number of breaths inhaled. He asked me if I wished to try it, out I agreed. I first took 2 breaths. I experienced a feeling of great warmth, and I saw a perfectly clear, blank field, as I had been able to achieve previously only after at least a half hour of intense concentration. It was a wonderful feeling. Whereas in prayer there was always great effort necessary to keep out distractions, here the field was simply automatically wiped clean.

Next we were going to try 6 breaths. However, shortly after I started breathing, I felt an intense pressure developing around my head, which I had also previously experienced in meditation. On the 5th breath it get so intense that I pushed the mask away. A visual image developed of a view of the sea, in color. It was beautiful, and accompanied by the feeling of warmth which for me has become characteristic of inhaling CO2. The beauty is not only visualized, but is somehow felt.

I was told that I was resisting, and that I should relax. After relaxing thoroughly, reclining on m bed, I was administered 8 breaths. I saw children playing ball in a school yard, a printed page came before my face which I could not quite a read, and the view of the sea re-appeared. Once more it was all in color, and felt beautiful and good. These experiences left me quite exhilarated. "

3. http://de1.erowid.or...de_therapy.html (Carbon Dioxide Therapy: A Neurophysiological Treatment of Nervous Disorders)

Sounds rather intriguing to me!
  • like x 2

#1312 basicallyyes

basicallyyes
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:39 AM

I believe physicist Bob Beck (similar name is a coincidence) invented a better mouse trap with the Bio Tuner which if I remember correctly was based off of the work of Robert O Becker. It uses micro electric pulses to induce different brain states and is supposed to be superior to the magnetic method. I've done magnetic pulsing and have used the brain tuner for years which is why I believe I may not be getting the full effects of lllt, I think it already turned up parts of my brain although they work through different mechanisms so I'm not really sold on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRx0Luz86Uc

Edited by basicallyyes, 22 October 2013 - 05:40 AM.

#1313 Godof Smallthings

Godof Smallthings
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

I started NAC and Magtein (Magnesium threonate) today.

Does anyone know (or have a theory on) how they would interact with lasering, CoQ10, shilajit and PQQ? Contraindications?

#1314 lostfalco

lostfalco
  • Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

In light of kobokok's recent post http://www.longecity...260#entry618476 and my reading of Becker, I found this recent N.Y. Times article very interesting. Let me say that I am emphatically NOT saying that I agree (or disagree) with it. I just really like to read counter perspectives that challenge my assumptions. I've never heard anyone say that fear is more hazardous to health than nuclear radiation. What do you guys think?

http://www.nytimes.c... Caj26nwf92rylw

"The robust evidence that ionizing radiation is a relatively low health risk dramatically contradicts common fears.
But nuclear accidents have provided strong evidence that those fears have dramatic health consequences of their own. The World Health Organization’s 20-year review of the Chernobyl disaster found that its psychological impacts did more health damage than radiation exposure did, and a principle cause of the population’s debilitating stress was “an exaggerated sense of the dangers to health of exposure to radiation.”

Edited by lostfalco, 22 October 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#1315 Strangelove

Strangelove
  • 792 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

Ender and Strangelove

Korzybski's work can have profound effect on ones perception. Unfortunately his books are incredibly dense and hard to penetrate. I highly recommend Robert Anton Wilson's Quantum Psychology, which handles Korzybski's ideas in a fun, yet still challenging style. The book is old, but the ideas are still cutting edge. It completely changed the way I perceive the world to this very day.

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/1561840718/

I read Wilson's book many years ago, had an influence in my thinking also, but in general, I am strongly predisposed to perceive things this way.

Edited by Strangelove, 22 October 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#1316 Valentine

Valentine
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

Props to both of you, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who very much appreciates your idea and your commitment.

Love your avatar by the way, Valentine! :)

Thank you very much :-D

Excellent choices in names as well, though I'm hoping you're not really siblings, haha. :-D

No we are most assuredly not. haha :laugh:

#1317 Ender Q

Ender Q
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

This is related in a way: http://ieet.org/arch...ioHappiness.pdf In Praise of Bio-Happiness.

I think that is what we are on the verge of, if we can continue to group together massive amounts of information/research and personal anecdotes via quantified self routes such as this thread, or possibly something more organized (hmm... possibly a Quantified-Mind test/page/thread on TULIP!?!).

It seems plausible that we can essentially create a state of mind in which we are happy, satisfied and fulfilled, while simultaneously motivated and creative, while eliminating negative feed-back loops that would lead to boredom. This was alluded to earlier in the thread when someone posted the email about the Euon device and using it to target/activate the Reticular Activating System and decreasing the size of the amygdala. Dr. Peat alluded to this, as well, to me in an email speaking about bliss being the 'default' human state and activating the endocannabinoid system via restricting and eating certain fats. I actually theorize the endocannabinod system may have played a role in our evolution.

Excellent observation. I definitely believe that it is possible to induce subjective well-being permanently by choosing what we put into our body, and how we take care of it. You are what you eat. Do you think it is possible with our current understanding of biology/pharmocology to induce such a state now? Obviously it is at the core of what most of us are trying to achieve on this site. A state of elevated consciousness, or more precisely evolved consciousness.

In light of kobokok's recent post http://www.longecity...260#entry618476 and my reading of Becker, I found this recent N.Y. Times article very interesting. Let me say that I am emphatically NOT saying that I agree (or disagree) with it. I just really like to read counter perspectives that challenge my assumptions. I've never heard anyone say that fear is more hazardous to health than nuclear radiation. What do you guys think?

http://www.nytimes.c... Caj26nwf92rylw

"The robust evidence that ionizing radiation is a relatively low health risk dramatically contradicts common fears.
But nuclear accidents have provided strong evidence that those fears have dramatic health consequences of their own. The World Health Organization’s 20-year review of the Chernobyl disaster found that its psychological impacts did more health damage than radiation exposure did, and a principle cause of the population’s debilitating stress was “an exaggerated sense of the dangers to health of exposure to radiation.”

Fascinating how powerful the mind can be. Our psychology definitely plays a huge role in the effectiveness (and ineffectiveness) of various treatments and medications.

On the topic of nootropics, in a way our predisposition towards a certain supplement has more to do with the effects of the supplement than the supplement itself. If one expects to feel more focused by swallowing a pill, he will. This is not to say that we can't know what is legitimately helpful. On the contrary, it stresses the importance of a thorough investigation of a particular substance/theory before choosing to use it ourselves.

#1318 BigPapaChakra

BigPapaChakra
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

Yes, I do believe it is possible now, but highly unlikely. There is an interesting and unfortunately short thread located on this site about inducing such a state by altering neurotransmitter levels, but also with a focus on endorphins. The person who started it seemed rather knowledgeable and made use of a lot of herbs and Dr. Peat protocols. As I said, Dr. Peat believes that simply altering the fat composition of our cells can have profound affects on our endocannabinoid system; Dr. Kruse has spoken about not only increasing sex steroid hormone, but increasing the sensitivity to their effects, even oxytocin, thus you have better orgasms and can use the oxytocin in a way to reinforce beneficial behaviors or positive experiences/memories. Many nutrients, especially the B-vitamins, have profound affects on cognition/consciousness. I was just reading an article yesterday about an experiment with TMS inducing savant-like artistic abilities in the experiment subjects. The paper I linked to describes a lot of the problems in achieving 'bio-happiness'. I think one of the largest problems is overcoming feedback loops that lead to boredom, and subsequently lack of fulfillment, apathy, lethargy, etc. Secondly, we don't want to down-regulate other aspects of human emotion or cognition; perhaps we heighten our ability to actually 'feel' joy, yet it comes with a newly found 'joyful hangover' afterwards. Perhaps orgasm is greatly enhanced to the point of being consciousness altering (which can be done already with practice - tantric sex and yogic sex practices achieve this) for a great deal of time afterward, but your sense of appreciation of the emotional connection behind the act is greatly diminished, or even the appreciation for the sensation of orgasm, thus, it is never satisfactory no matter how great it feels. We still have A LOT to understand about our brains and how they affect emotions and thoughts, so we're a long way away from these 'bliss states', but for now the fun is in the chase ;)

#1319 BigPapaChakra

BigPapaChakra
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

http://www.erowid.or...macology2.shtml (An Overview of the Endogenous Cannabinoid System Its Components and Possible Roles of this Recently Discovered Regulatory System)

#1320 Keynes

Keynes
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

Got my LED today and luckily had a fitting apaptor. Did 15 seconds on each spot all over the brain just now (checking for adverse reactions). Might feel slightly more tired, head might feel slightly heavier (could just as easily be placebo). Feels kind of boss LEDing your brain. I have a friend with a messed up knee (he's a carpenter and in his sixties, it's worn down), what would the dosage be for that and other physical injuries? I'll look it up when I wake up tomorrow, but if anyone know it'd be appreciated. 48 LED, 850 nm etc. Also gonna meditate right now to see if there's any subjective difference.

Contrindictions for any of the following?

Fish oil
Vitamin D3
Zinc
Magnesium Threonate (this was just asked)
Phosphatidylserine
Inositol
BCAA
Caffeine
Nicotine (lots, I need too cut some snus out)
TMG
b12
Creatine
Vit C
Ashwagandha

I assume not, but if someone knew that would be nice. My whole stack basically, but I'm only regularly doing fish oil, d3, caffeine and nicotine atm.

PS
My previous shipment got stopped because of a 7 dollar bottle of ginkgo. No they can't throw it away to not have to fly it back to the states. Such a waste!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropic

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Topic Led By