* * * * * 29 votes

Lostfalco's Extensive Nootropic Experiments [Curated]

nootropic

• Please log in to reply
4019 replies to this topic

#1861 BigPapaChakra

• 199 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:46 AM

I personally haven't used any peptides. The closest thing to a peptide that I'll have experience with is NSI in a few weeks (hopefully).

Sorry I can't offer anything else. After I regain and enhance my cognition/state of consciousness, I'd be more than willing to research and experiment with peptides and fill you/everyone else in on my experience, though.

#1862 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:58 AM

Is there a minimum amount of time that one should wait before trying LLT after coming off Methylene Blue? Is one of these methodologies more successful at treating Alzhimers than the other? What method should I use. I tried Levitiracetam but this gave me the worst hang over I'd ever had in my life. Would it could it reverse Alzheimers Disease? Is LLT what I should be thinking about using when combating Alzheimers. Has it got a good success record or should I stay with the Methylene Blue?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1863 hephaestus

• 180 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:48 AM

Look into ashwagandha maybe, there is some evidence for it helping with abeta plaques.

http://examine.com/s...ts/Ashwagandha/

#1864 RicardoW

• 84 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

I personally haven't used any peptides. The closest thing to a peptide that I'll have experience with is NSI in a few weeks (hopefully).

Sorry I can't offer anything else. After I regain and enhance my cognition/state of consciousness, I'd be more than willing to research and experiment with peptides and fill you/everyone else in on my experience, though.

Hey

a thread on this subject in a couple of month would be good. by then I will also have some to contribute with.

#1865 RicardoW

• 84 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

Hey

a thread on this subject in a couple of month would be good. by then I will also have some to contribute with.

#1866 BigPapaChakra

• 199 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

What peptide(s) will you be using? There are some good threads on peptides here but a good amount of them were set up for group buys or questions on them, nothing as detailed as this thread; perhaps a cool peptide enhancement thread could be created in the near future.

I'm starting z-health next week, and the following week will be seeing a really well trained, educated, and experienced neuropsychiatrist who uses treatments such as rTMS, vagal nerve stimulation, HBOT, and more. So I can report back on all that soon. I'd take a look at all this cited 'advanced reading' (studies) which establishes some really awesome benefits to proprioception, visual, movement, etc. training/therapy. I should be getting certified in October, too. I think that kind of training could potentially have synergy with some of the things we've been working on (TULIP, NSI, Happy Stack, etc), i.e. you're building up the 'micro-structures' (so to speak) in your brain/CNS with these nutrients/compounds, and then working these neural pathways with the exercises, thus potentially making it 'stick'.

Depending upon how things go with NSI, this neuropsychiatrist, etc. I may go the peptide route. I may even experiment with those Russian Bioactive Peptides.
  • like x 1

#1867 alpal

• 59 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:20 AM

Okay, day 8 of lllt using 850nm LEDs, and the effects just hit me hard. I have been photobiomodulating mostly my left dlpfc and now I have the effects that I like, focus, and productivity, but it comes with a pounding headache... i have ramped up to 30 seconds on it. 2 days on 1 off.

I guess my question is what do I do about the pressure under my left dlpfc? It doesn't feel natural...

#1868 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

If it were me, I would reduce the time/days, or try PBMing the entire head. Presumably, you're using something like the recommended LED illuminator, and if not, I would do. Failing that, I would ensure I was taking recommended supplements; Or at the very least, the PQQ.

#1869 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

A correction -- after testing -- from my earlier post about which equipment to buy, if you're in the UK:

The 12V 2A adaptor works for both the 96 LED illuminator, and the 48 LED illuminator. The 500mA power adaptor doesn't function with the 48 LED unit, despite what it says on the amazon page!

#1870 Strangelove

• 792 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

So i have been contemplating about the EPO. The fact that i have ten 4000IU vials in the fridge contributes to the temptation.
I have listened to the podcast on NeuroScene with Kamilla Miskowiak and skimmed through studies. Kamilla says that she attributes the boost of cognitive functioning from EPO to its direct effects on the brain and not to the increase of red blood cells, although she thinks that this might also contribute to the increase, because of better oxygen transport.

To exclude the possibility of increase in the RBC count, she says, they administered EPO only once a week and the dosage was 40.000IU. I mean what? 40.000 IUs? Isn't it overkill? How can this not cause increase in RBC? I checked through threads on CuttingEdgeMuscle where they have tons of shared experiences of EPO usage and the common scheme is to take EPO in 1500-3000IUs 3 times a week for 2-3 weeks and then same dosage once weekly to maintain gains. And it increases RBCs 1-2% they say. That is 9.000IUs weekly and 27.000 IUs total. And they do it with the sole purpose of more RBCs. But here 40K is administered each week. No increase? Huh?

Does anyone have full text of these? I'd really appreciate that.

Erythropoietin: a candidate treatment for mood symptoms and memory dysfunction in depression.
Miskowiak KW, Vinberg M, Harmer CJ, Ehrenreich H, Kessing LV.

Effects of erythropoietin on depressive symptoms and neurocognitive deficits in depression and bipolar disorder.
Miskowiak KW, Vinberg M, Harmer CJ, Ehrenreich H, Knudsen GM, Macoveanu J, Hansen AR, Paulson OB, Siebner HR, Kessing LV.

EPO seems interesting, but difficult to find, I found an old post.

Echinacea increases EPO.

Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2007 Aug;17(4):378-90.

The effect of 4 wk of oral echinacea supplementation on serum erythropoietin and
indices of erythropoietic status.

Whitehead MT, Martin TD, Scheett TP, Webster MJ.

Department of Health and Human Performance, Northwestern State University,
Natchitoches, LA 71497, USA.

The purpose of this investigation was to determine whether echinacea
supplementation results in alterations of erythroid growth factors and
erythropoietic status. Twenty-four men age 24.9 +/- 4.2 y, height 1.7 +/- 0.8 m,
weight 87.9 +/- 14.6 kg, and 19.3% +/- 6.5% body fat were grouped using a
double-blind design and self- administered an 8000-mg/d dose of either echinacea
(ECH) or placebo (PLA) in 5 x 400 mg x 4 times/d for 28 d. Blood samples were
collected and analyzed for red blood cells (RBCs), hematocrit (Hct), hemoglobin
(Hb), mean corpuscular volume, mean corpuscular hemoglobin content, prostaglandin
E2, ferritin, erythropoietin (EPO), interleukin 3 (IL-3), and
granulocyte-macrophage-colony-stimulating factor using automated flow cytometry
and ELISA. ANOVA was used to determine significant differences (P ? 0.05). EPO
was greater (P < 0.001) in ECH at Days 7, 14, and 21 and reflected a 44%, 63%,
and 36% increase, respectively. IL-3 was greater (P = 0.011) in ECH at Days 14
and 21, which indicated a 65% and 73% increase, respectively. These data indicate
that ECH supplementation resulted in an increase in EPO and IL-3 but did not
significantly alter RBCs, Hb, or Hct.

PMID: 17962712 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Any idea anyone how much you have to increase EPO for its nootropics and antidepressant effects?
Long term echinacea is recommended by some for its immune stimulating properties, although 8gr a day of echinacea sounds a lot.

#1871 ashkie

• 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:16 AM

what's the word on using LLLT with hair? i have fairly thick black hair and afraid it's absorbing all the energy

#1872 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

Well, less effect. Shave your head or crop it short to get more shine for your dime.
  • like x 1

#1873 DamnedOwl

• 120 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

Wouldn't leaving it on each spot for longer be a solution though?

The question is how long, of course, but still, would it not work? Besides the question of how long has to be determined for each individual by trial anyway.

Edited by DamnedOwl, 13 March 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#1874 Nattzor

• 549 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

Wouldn't leaving it on each spot for longer be a solution though?

The question is how long, of course, but still, would it not work? Besides the question of how long has to be determined for each individual by trial anyway.

That is correct. Estimations from heelspurs: "Twice as long for dark skin or hair and 4 times as long for dark hair and dark skin, as a wild guess, but with more chance for overheating. "

#1875 Barfly

• 65 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

Any new insights on the optimal time per spot ?

And also, how literal can we take the LLLT and exercise metaphor? Does such comparison mean that dosage should be gradually increased over time to keep chalenging and pushing our brain to higher limits as with physical exercise?

I am asking because I am doing 2 min per spot for quite a while now and it feels like I am at a level where I experience little new improvement so I was wondering if I should increase the dosage to see further improvements.

Last question: I notice a slight stimulant effect from LLLT so I was thinking of using it in the morning as a wake up routine, does anyone notice similar effect and what is the reason Lostfalco decided to switch to lasering before bed?

Thanks

#1876 cylack

• 69 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

I wish the principal researchers would switch over to using our 850 nm devices in their human experiments, it'd be very helpful to us to figure out optimal dose timing! One of them is aware of this thread, so who knows. With our devices being so much cheaper than anything else that's out there it'd be a lot more practical research, for sure.

Edited by cylack, 13 March 2014 - 10:18 PM.

#1877 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

Excellent post by our boy Abelard on possibly increasing acetyl groups for our histones with acetylcarnitine.

http://www.longecity...430#entry650308
http://blog.naturals...elated-effects/

Remember, hyperacetylation leads to open chromatin which makes DNA accessible for expression. This is crucial for long term memory formation.

Starch Update: The gas has ended! I can actually go out in public again. =) Still taking 8tbsp per day and loving it. I have mixed feelings about caffeine, but I have been combining the starch with a caffeine pill (caffeine blocks adenosine receptors and is a weak PDE inhibitor) and they seem VERY synergistic. Could be one of the simplest and most affordable stacks out there. If anyone tries it let me know if it works for you. $4 for starch and $3 (or less) for caffeine pills is not a bad deal.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19755853

Epigenetics. 2009 Aug 16;4(6):399-403. Epub 2009 Aug 18.
Mitochondrial acetylcarnitine provides acetyl groups for nuclear histone acetylation.
Madiraju P1, Pande SV, Prentki M, Madiraju SR.
Author information

Abstract
Dynamic acetylation and deacetylation of nuclear histones is essential for regulating the access of chromosomal DNA to transcriptional machinery. The source of acetyl-CoA for histone acetylation in mammalian cell nuclei is not clearly known. We show that acetylcarnitine formed in mitochondria, is transported into cytosol by carnitine/acylcarnitine translocase, and then enters nucleus, where it is converted to acetyl-CoA by a nuclear carnitine acetyltransferase and becomes a source of acetyl groups for histone acetylation. Genetic deficiency of the translocase markedly reduced the mitochondrial acetylcarnitine dependent nuclear histone acetylation, indicating the significance of the carnitine-dependent mitochondrial acetyl group contribution to histone acetylation.

Edited by lostfalco, 18 March 2014 - 08:04 PM.

#1878 DamnedOwl

• 120 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

Starch Update: The gas has ended! I can actually go out in public again. =) Still taking 8tbsp per day and loving it. I have mixed feelings about caffeine, but I have been combining the starch with a caffeine pill (caffeine blocks adenosine receptors and is a weak PDE inhibitor) and they seem VERY synergistic. Could be one of the simplest and most affordable stacks out there. If anyone tries it let me know if it works for you. $4 for starch and $3 (or less) for caffeine pills is not a bad deal.

Hi lostfalco, I've been taking the potato starch for a couple of weeks now at 40g per day. The effect on my guts (despite the flatulence) has been generally good, so if nothing else, I've been pleased enough about this. No other obvious effects though.

My first question then is could you tell me about how much one of your tablespoon measures is in terms of milligrams? I know given the volumes consumed that a couple of hundred milligrams give or take isn't going to make much difference at all, but I nevertheless just want to be on the same page as you in terms of amounts consumed.

I have my morning starch with 100mg of caffeine, but that's my last caffeine of the day, so my second question is do you take your caffeine with all four doses of potato starch (surely not!)? Or is it just in the morning also? Presumably if you're taking the caffeine pills it'll be 200mg of caffeine per pill too?

#1879 alpal

• 59 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

2 weeks into lllt with LEDs on only left dlpfc for 2 min, 2 days on one off. Feeling slightly improved inhibition and focus.

Does anyone have reason to believe that lasers or the vetrolaser would penetrate deeper than LEDs?

What is the high end of the safety scale more than 2 minutes per one site in your opinions?

#1880 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

Hi lostfalco, I've been taking the potato starch for a couple of weeks now at 40g per day. The effect on my guts (despite the flatulence) has been generally good, so if nothing else, I've been pleased enough about this. No other obvious effects though.

My first question then is could you tell me about how much one of your tablespoon measures is in terms of milligrams? I know given the volumes consumed that a couple of hundred milligrams give or take isn't going to make much difference at all, but I nevertheless just want to be on the same page as you in terms of amounts consumed.

I have my morning starch with 100mg of caffeine, but that's my last caffeine of the day, so my second question is do you take your caffeine with all four doses of potato starch (surely not!)? Or is it just in the morning also? Presumably if you're taking the caffeine pills it'll be 200mg of caffeine per pill too?

What's up DamnedOwl? I'm taking 8 tablespoons at 12g each which makes 96g total. Richard and Tim contacted Bob's Red Mill and claim that about 80% of that is resistant starch...so that would put me at 77g RS according to them. I know that Joe Cohen thinks that there is considerably less RS in Bob's Red Mill...more like 50-60% if I remember correctly. So, there is some guesswork and necessary self-experimentation involved here.

I'm taking 200mg caffeine in morning. It has a half life of around 5 or 6 hours (for most people) so I will sometimes take more around noon.

Taking caffeine at the same time that I take starch isn't all that important because I should be getting a fairly steady stream of SCFAs all day long. My pre-bedtime starch should be hitting full SCFA stride right about the time I wake up. My morning starch should be hitting peak SCFA levels right about the time I take my second dose of caffeine (if I take a second dose).

"...fermentation in the large intestine is a slow process and broad peak levels of SCFA are reached 8–12 hours after a meal in peripheral blood [220, 221]."

http://web.archive.o...mono3-part4.pdf

Edited by lostfalco, 19 March 2014 - 11:55 PM.

#1881 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

2 weeks into lllt with LEDs on only left dlpfc for 2 min, 2 days on one off. Feeling slightly improved inhibition and focus.

Does anyone have reason to believe that lasers or the vetrolaser would penetrate deeper than LEDs?

What is the high end of the safety scale more than 2 minutes per one site in your opinions?

Hey alpal! Lasers probably do penetrate a little deeper. You have a lot of wiggle room to increase time-wise and still be confident of safety. I've used the LEDs for 10 minutes per spot with no problem and some other people have even gone higher.

#1882 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

I'm taking 8 level teaspoons at 12g each which makes 96g total. Richard and Tim contacted Bob's Red Mill and claim that about 80% of that is resistant starch...so that would put me at 77g RS according to them. I know that Joe Cohen thinks that there is considerably less RS in Bob's Red Mill...more like 50-60% if I remember correctly. So, there is some guesswork and necessary self-experimentation involved here.

I assume you mean 8 TBS (tablespoons)?
Two questions regarding the Bob's PS:
Have you noticed any weight gain since embarking on the PS regimen (40 calories per TBS X 8 = 320 extra (carb) calories per day)?
Do you monitor your blood glucose? If so, have you noticed any changes (increases or decreases in fasting BS or postprandial levels or A1c)?

#1883 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:55 PM

Umm...whoops. Yessir, tablespoons. =)

Thanks for pointing that out! Just edited my post above.

Edited by lostfalco, 19 March 2014 - 11:57 PM.

#1884 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:22 AM

Have you noticed any weight gain since embarking on the PS regimen (40 calories per TBS X 8 = 320 extra (carb) calories per day)?
Do you monitor your blood glucose? If so, have you noticed any changes (increases or decreases in fasting BS or postprandial levels or A1c)?

No weight gain. Raw potato starch is either fermented by my gut bacteria (into SCFAs and gasses) or passes through. They're the ones eating all those carbs. =)

I don't monitor blood glucose but there are dozens of people who do over at freetheanimal. http://freetheanimal...er-newbies.html

#1885 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:44 AM

Very interesting article on ALCAR as an epigenetic antidepressant in rodents. http://www.pnas.org/...2/4804.full.pdf

"LAC (l-acetylcarnitine) is an endogenous compound that acts as a donor of acetyl groups and facilitates the transfer of fatty acids from cytosol to mitochondria during β-oxidation (27)."

"Here we found that LAC (l-acetylcarnitine) treatment of stressed and genetically vulnerable animals, showing depressive-like behaviors, rapidly reversed those behaviors, an effect that was selectively associated with mGlu2 receptors in brain regions that are critically involved in the pathophysiology of depression, such as the hippocampus and prefrontal cortex. The antidepressant action of LAC was already evident after 3 d and persisted after the end of the treatment..."

Edited by lostfalco, 20 March 2014 - 03:00 AM.

• like x 2

#1886 cylack

• 69 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

Try drinking water rich in silica (Fiji, Volvic), which was found to flush out Aluminium from brain. A recent study in which subjects drank 1L a day over 13 weeks found significant improvements. Don't have the cite on hand, buts its in pubmed.

Is there a minimum amount of time that one should wait before trying LLT after coming off Methylene Blue? Is one of these methodologies more successful at treating Alzhimers than the other? What method should I use. I tried Levitiracetam but this gave me the worst hang over I'd ever had in my life. Would it could it reverse Alzheimers Disease? Is LLT what I should be thinking about using when combating Alzheimers. Has it got a good success record or should I stay with the Methylene Blue?

#1887 cylack

• 69 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

There was a recent post on free the animal about weight gain and rs. Dr. BG/Grace pointed out banana/plantain is a better source of rs for weight loss than potato starch.

I'm taking 8 level teaspoons at 12g each which makes 96g total. Richard and Tim contacted Bob's Red Mill and claim that about 80% of that is resistant starch...so that would put me at 77g RS according to them. I know that Joe Cohen thinks that there is considerably less RS in Bob's Red Mill...more like 50-60% if I remember correctly. So, there is some guesswork and necessary self-experimentation involved here.

#1888 Potent

• 34 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

I prefer pics over text any day. Hope this makes things a little clearer...it does for me anyway. =)

Gut Microflora http://missinghumanm...oflora-4101.jpg

Bifidobacteria http://www.institut-...um-R175_big.jpg

Butyrate causes hyperacetylation (by inhibiting HDACs) http://genetics.unc....mages/chart.jpg

Inhibiting HDACs enhances learning and memory through CREB http://upload.wikime...s&#39;_role.jpg

CREB upregulates BDNF http://pharmaceutica...12/12/fig11.jpg

Histone Acetylation (I prefer butyrate over valproate though) http://www.retroviro...90-4-18-7-l.jpg

Open Chromatin allows transcription factors and RNA polymerase to access DNA http://genome.wellco...GEN10000675.jpg

BDNF (brain derived neurotrophic factor) and its receptor, TrkB; presynaptic AND postsynaptic http://www.nature.co.../nrn2738-f2.jpg

Sweeet. Just started taking resistant starch myself. The hypothesis is interesting. Is there evidence that the gut epithelium expresses CREB and can produce BDNF (dumb question, not likely)? Or that enough Butyrate will be produced by gut microflora, enter gut epithelium, and enter the blood?

Ack, after searching google scholar the microflora-gut-brain axis is complex with multifactorial issues at play. Somehow there is an altered gene expression in the brain that may positively affect behavior. Don't have time for in depth research. I'll take it.

Edited by Potent, 25 March 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#1889 Raisinthehouse

• 40 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

Pretty interesting Read here.
http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fnsys.2014.00036/full
  • like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1890 Nattzor

• 549 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

Pretty interesting Read here.
http://journal.front...2014.00036/full

A new Gonzalez-Lima study, nice! Has anyone mailed him and asked him to join this thread (or asked his opinion on it)?

http://i.imgur.com/sQpxhe5.png - Most relevant part in the study, LLLT improves reaction time in healthy adults (which my test also showed).

Some other stuff now:
http://www.vib.be/en...’s-Disease.aspx - Parkinson's partially fixed in a mouse-model when mitochondria fixed (Complex 1 to be specific)
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24244323 - LLLT helps complex IV (as we've known since the start), helps Parkinson's.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22582012 - K2 needed for ETC, carries electrones (works in the same way as CoQ10). This all makes sense if we look at photosynthesis.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By