alan.r's regimen, for comment

supplements regimen

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 alan.r

• 35 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

realizing that most people here seem to know more than I do...here is my list. I am male, 48, pretty fit overall, no chronic problems or particular challenges.

Multi-vitamin - generic "Vita-plus Men's Ultra Multiple", 2 tabs/day as per recommendation. Looking at the ingredients, this has a smorgasborg of herbs and minerals (all small quantities) in addition to the usual vits.

Piracetam, 900mg morning, 900mg afternoon. At one time I took some in the evening as well, but I seem to sleep better without it.

Swanson Prostate Essentials Plus, one in the mornings and one in the evening. Seems to have immediately helped an annoying frequent need to urinate.

LifeExtensions Rhodiola Extract, one in the mornings. Supposed to help with energy.

Cordyceps Power CS-4. Morning and evening. Supposed to help with the natural decline of testosterone in aging.

Melatonin, 3mg at night to sleep.

And that's it. My general thing is I hate to take pills, so I take as little as I think I can. Some things like glucosamine/chondroitin/msm I quit, and noticed no difference. I used to take fish oil but now have some chia seed in my diet.

Personal circumstances - I have a fairly demanding job, physical and mental, as a mechanic. I've kept active in college and usually have some academic area I'm working on (currently studying for the chemistry CLEP). And I am a competitive cyclist, which involves about an hour a day of aerobic training, then about 8 or twelve hours a week of harder work, fast group rides or racing on top of that. At my age I'm not taking it too hard or setting unrealistic goals, but rather hanging on to fitness with some grim determination and enjoyment. Its nice to still be able to go out and make sure the younger guys are getting nothing they don't work hard for.

And I'm restoring a historic building in my town, slowly, which takes up any slack-time I might have from my other pursuits.

So that's the simple list. Long term maintenance of fitness is one goal, while long term improvement in cognitive fitness would be another. I did go through a period of smoking, drinking, and general carelessness a few years back, related to relationship problems, but that's all in the past. I think piracetam has been a good help there. Perhaps in the list something sticks out as unnecessary, or something is missing? Any comments appreciated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supplements, regimen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users