• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

In the last month I started having daily fruit/veggie smoothies and have noticed an increase in facial wrinkles

smoothies wrinkles

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

I'm a 32/m.

Over the last few years I've made some changes to try and eat healthier. Three years ago I stopped eating fast food. About a year ago I stopped eating ramen. Six months ago I stopped eating processed meats and foods with added nitrates/nitrites. I avoid anything with saturated fat.

One month ago I started making a smoothie for breakfast every day with strawberries, blueberries, red grapes, carrots, banana, kale and cilantro.

Within the last month I've noticed the formation of parenthesis wrinkles that were not there before. They are visible all the time, not just when I am smiling.

I know correlation doesn't imply causation, but does eating healthy food cause you to age faster, or is it just coincidental that I noticed it now?

I rarely drink alcohol. For the last 14 years I've only had water to drink with meals and throughout the day 99% of the time. I'm sure this is just normal aging but it seems weird that I notice new wrinkles around the same time I started trying to be healthier.

Is something I'm doing sucking the moisture out of my skin or something?

#2 YOLF

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

How is the rest of your diet? I like to put a tiny bit of flax or olive oil in my smoothies. That's good for the skin and doesn't change the flavor. I'm 31/m and I just noticed a big change in the rate of skin aging. Stuff I could supplement and diet away isn't going away anymore. Are you losing weight from the smoothies? Maybe gaining weight? Losing weight always makes the skin look better, but if you lose too much it can make it look worse I would assume.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

The rest of my diet is pretty good, I think.

I'm naturally skinny. I'm 5'9" and right now I weigh 145lbs or so. This is how much my body wants to weigh. I've been around 165-170 for years but that's with lots of extra eating and weight lifting. I have an injury to my elbow which has kept me out of the gym for the last 6 months which is why I've lost weight.

edit - weights in pounds

Edited by ironfistx, 25 June 2013 - 10:24 PM.

#4 YOLF

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:23 AM

With your weight I wouldn't lose anymore. HMB is supposed to help you keep muscle going, though the research is limited and it is still controversial. Personally, feel stronger when I take it after not working out for a while.

I take this stuff:
http://www.vitacost....n-hmb-1000-caps

Though if you make shakes and what not:
http://www.vitacost....-hmb-unflavored

They can really over charge for this stuff, I'd shop around. I can get you a $10 coupon at vitacost if you're a new customer. Just PM me you email.

#5 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

You can only notice what your focusing on. Now that your focusing on your body you are probably just more aware of it. If you focus in and listen to music for thousands of hours the music didn't become clearer your ear for music just became sharper. Your awareness of your body is probably just increasing since, most people are pretty oblivious to whats actually going on with their body.

#6 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:30 AM

One month ago I started making a smoothie for breakfast every day with strawberries, blueberries, red grapes, carrots, banana, kale and cilantro.

I know correlation doesn't imply causation, but does eating healthy food cause you to age faster, or is it just coincidental that I noticed it now?

People's opinions vary as to what a healty diet is. My opinion is that a breakfast of sugary foods, even if they are 'orgainic', is not a healthy diet. Eat what you want, it does not matter to me, I am not selling anything.

Edited by JohnD60, 28 October 2013 - 05:31 AM.

#7 panhedonic

• 390 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

The smoothies may have improved your eyesight. Only half joking here, all other things being equal, either the wrinkles or your ability to see them might be the new development.

#8 cuprous

• 170 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:37 AM

Smoothies may also be lowering chronic inflammation which is making your face less puffy and hence more wrinkly. Doesn't mean you aren't healthier. Give it time, but also be sure to eat plenty of healthy fats. The "no fat" diet is a terrible idea.

#9 YOLF

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:48 AM

there is always small molecule HA to treat the wrinkles... it's a tough and expensive fight though considering the 15 or so grams the body needs to produce a day for someone around 30 to keep young.

#10 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hmmm if you are talking about hydroxy acids

for AHAs
lemon juice (citric acid)
coconut oil (lauric acid)

for BHAs
Carnitine
Salicylic acid

all only a few bucks. However, lemon juice and salicylic acid may dry you out so measure and work your way up.

my bad it appears we are talking about hyaluronan

perhaps we could drive down costs by using a vitamin a or prescription retinoil to decrease how much we need to use?
"HA content increases at the presence of retinoic acid (vitamin A)" - Just WIkipedia.

#11 YOLF

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:54 PM

I think it's spelled Hyaluranic Acid? There is a specific form that can be absorbed orally. Larger molecules are too big and will get digested.

#12 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:46 AM

Larger molecules are too big and will get digested.
+ - 0
MultiQuote

hmm, do you mean larger molecules are too big to be absorbed topically?

Any examples of specific forms that can not be absorbed orally? I am interested to see if there is any truth to that or it is marketing to sell a more expensive fancy version. example the ten thousand and one different ways of selling creatine claiming better absorption for sometimes silly prices over creatine mono hydrate the dirt cheap one i find works fine.

#13 YOLF

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

No, larger molecules of HA have to be injected into the blood stream. Most that are sold as pills are the smaller versions of the molecules and they work great, but lots of people like to discourage supplementation with various factoids, so it's good to be prepared.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: smoothies, wrinkles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users