• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is there a safe way to use tanning beds?

sunblock spf tanning beds vitamin d

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

Okay, so I have been thinking about the importance of minimal melanin production in reaction to UV light. It actually adds a layer of protection to help avoid further sun damage.

What I am wondering is the opinion of the IMMINST community on whether or not there is a safe way to get minimal color without causing extensive damage, say for instance with the use of a sun block? Or without aging the skin at nearly the same rate as skin completely unprotected from the sun?

I sometimes get a little bit of color by going out in sunny weather even though I am wearing my burnout spf 30 mineral sunscreen. I notice no damage, but manage to get a mild tan. It feels good to get some sun. I supplement vitamin D but it is just not the same. I feel energized when it comes from direct sunlight.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

A lot would depend on the kind of lamps and filtering they use. UVA is the longer wavelength UV that penetrates more deeply and is said to be responsible for the deeper tissue injury that leads to wrinkles. The first thing I'd want to do is make sure the lamp has a UVA filter. Shockingly, there are actually UVA lamps that are advertized as "non burning". Apparently if you have some residual melanin, they somehow darken it, but don't trigger more melanin production. Avoid those at all costs. Another way to protect yourself is to use minimal exposures. Use a low intensity lamp for a short time, and do this every few days for a longer period of time. Don't try to get a tan in a week. If you stretch out the exposure, You'll do less damage (or give your body a chance to repair the damage) and you'll get a deeper, longer lasting tan. Finally, I'd avoid tanning at all on my face and hands, and anything else that's always exposed, since they get the most lifetime damage.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

A lot would depend on the kind of lamps and filtering they use. UVA is the longer wavelength UV that penetrates more deeply and is said to be responsible for the deeper tissue injury that leads to wrinkles. The first thing I'd want to do is make sure the lamp has a UVA filter. Shockingly, there are actually UVA lamps that are advertized as "non burning". Apparently if you have some residual melanin, they somehow darken it, but don't trigger more melanin production. Avoid those at all costs. Another way to protect yourself is to use minimal exposures. Use a low intensity lamp for a short time, and do this every few days for a longer period of time. Don't try to get a tan in a week. If you stretch out the exposure, You'll do less damage (or give your body a chance to repair the damage) and you'll get a deeper, longer lasting tan. Finally, I'd avoid tanning at all on my face and hands, and anything else that's always exposed, since they get the most lifetime damage.

Do you hold this view even when it comes to getting some color while wearing sunblock? I mean could it be that a good mineral sunblock is a decent UV filter itself? That even though it causes you to get a little darker you still are not getting as much UV exposure? Also, I wonder if taking L-Tyrosine can help with tolerance to UV light since it is suppose to increase melanin production.

#4 Heyman

• 207 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

If you get a tan, damage is already done... What I do:

I use a good sunscreen (SPF 50) and block my face from the sun, then I tan my body only for like 20-30 minutes every few days. I don't use sunscreen on my body, it would be pointless then, for vitamin D production as well as for getting a tan. 20-30 minutes should be enough to maximize vitamin D production, you can also supplement it but who knows what really is the issue with the suns benefits...

This way I'll minimize photoaging in my face, have a decent tan, use a self-tanner for the face so it looks even.

#5 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

With Melanotan you can minimize the need for UV-stimulation. Although, it's not well known if the peptide possess some risks too, but at least minimizes the radiation damage.

Edited by Galaxyshock, 09 August 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#6 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

If I did not have freckles I would experiment with the Melanotan. Since I do have freckles, what I do is wear a long lasting sun screen all day every day, and "tan" in beds covering my face, arms and shoulders, mostly for the Vit D., but also for the other chemicals the body produces upon sun expose that we just have not identified yet.

#7 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

What are the risks of Melanotan?

#8 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

What are the risks of Melanotan?

This is largely unknown!
There are reports of heavily increased generation of new nevi and blotchy, irregular skin pigmentation (permanent!). But these are only the known side effects of cosmetic nature. We don't know if long term use could be associated with cancer development or other diseases for example. There are concerns cancer could be an issue because of the increased nevi.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sunblock, spf, tanning beds, vitamin d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users