• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Things to carry on yourself to survive a disaster.

survivalism cb radio ham radio cellphone disaster terrorist attack blackout power blackout stuck in an elevator trapped in a building

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Layberinthius

• 298 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

I have this suggestion that for everyone who goes near to or into tall buildings or stuctures that they carry around a 40 or 80 channel UHF CB radio, a flashlight, or a combination cell phone and UHF Radio.

In the event of the collapse of a building, with you trapped inside, it would be beneficial to have certian items available with you in the event that the cell phone network is down (which goes down for any number of reasons, blackout, collapse of power lines, attacks.), you are stuck inside a room without any escape, etc.

I can imagine being stuck inside an elevator for many hours, or days, without cellphone coverage.

I believe that as a forum which concentrates on the preservation of our lives that we should devote some of our spare time to this topic.

If we are buying insurance, then why not get portable insurance? Why do we have to rely on services to save our lives?
  • Cheerful x 1

#2 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

I carry around a very thin but very strong (dyneema) rope. Very light and takes very little space. Useful for all sorts of things and at 10m, long enough to get quite a distance down from somewhere.
How about a small water bottle? Having water to keep you alive is probably the most important thing in such an emergency. You can sit it out for weeks if you have some water.
  • like x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#3 Layberinthius

• Topic Starter
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

yes, awesome, ty for sharing.

A small water bottle is perfect, but I was also thinking of a life straw, if you get a lifestraw I bet you could drink pee, but you wont need to do that if you carry a sachet of purified water with you inside of a jacket.

But I don't wear a jacket all of the time which kinda sucks because its such a good way to carry around things.

So a leather belt is in order, with a number of objects attached.

You can get small 125mL sachets of water, the good thing about this is that it doubles as a container for use later on and its not much weight to be carry around all of the time so I am less likely to ditch it in the car or at home.

I wouldn't carry around a flask as that could be misinterpreted as vodka by an authority figure.

Edited by Layberinthius, 15 August 2013 - 01:11 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 mwestbro

• 81 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

If you have any interest in survival under all circumstances, you should always have two things: a knife and a way to make fire. I haven't been without a knife in my pocket for more than 40 years. I'm not talking about a fighting knife. A simple Swiss Army knife is probably more generally useful than a Rambo style short sword, but you have to have it when you need it. Throw in a Bic lighter or a Zippo, and you're better prepared than most people.

#5 Layberinthius

• Topic Starter
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

Maglite 2AA with Incandescent globe and NiCD rechargeables (are lighter than NiMH batteries) = EMP proof and very useful + lightweight + build quality is excellent if you get a 1980s variant.

#6 Layberinthius

• Topic Starter
  • 298 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

Just found this little gem, I wonder how long its services will last:
http://www.findmespo...dex.php?cid=116

"Today's smartphones provide a level of social connection far beyond what we imagined just a few years ago. But when you go beyond the reach of the grid, your smartphone needs the help of SPOT Connect to keep you in touch with friends, family, and emergency personnel. Simply pair your smartphone with SPOT Connect, and get connected to a global satellite network that lets you send messages and GPS coordinates from virtually anywhere on the planet. Update Twitter and Facebook. Send email and text messages. Request non-emergency help from professional service providers. And in the case of a critical emergency, send an SOS message requesting emergency assistance."

Not exactly something that I would want to carry around if I were hiding from someone, but it would be useful in the event that I were trapped.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#7 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:18 PM

I feel like every day is a disaster now but there is nothing that I can do to prevent it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: survivalism, cb radio, ham radio, cellphone, disaster, terrorist attack, blackout, power blackout, stuck in an elevator, trapped in a building

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users