- - - - -

Music for "work"

music background

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

Couldn't find a thread discussion this anywhere, so I thought I'd make one.

*What music do you find helpful when Working, Studying or just Reading?
What kind of music do you use to create an ambience that induces a good/productive cognitive state?

Myself, I try to find music that provides a good emotional setting without any distracting noise. I use soundtracks, preferably without vocals.
It's pretty cool, since it gives your experience a soundtrack and adds a dramatic and/or intense element.

My favourites can be found using Torrentz.eu and searching for 'OST' (short for official soundtrack).
Try the soundtrack of Elysium, Inception and others by Hans Zimmer, for example.

What music do you use to induce a state of Flow or just general Productivity?

Edited by chung_pao, 17 August 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#2 Rumpelstiltskin

• 33 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

I use Bach for working on a book or paper. I use Schubert for studying. I don’t know why but Mozart irritates me. And I use Antonin Dvorak to chill. I use the TMNT soundtrack to wake up. That song is conditioned in my brain from my childhood as a happy memory. So I wake up happy, positive and ready to kick ass.

Cheers.
  • like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 bzyb

• 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:29 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------
A: *What music do you find helpful when Working, Studying or just Reading?
What kind of music do you use to create an ambience that induces a good/productive cognitive state?
Myself, I try to find music that provides a good emotional setting without any distracting noise. I use soundtracks, preferably without vocals.
It's pretty cool, since it gives your experience a soundtrack and adds a dramatic and/or intense element.
B: What music do you use to induce a state of Flow or just general Productivity?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in the same boat, because I have some level of ADD I believe. It really is hard for me to concentrate when too many other things going on. Sometimes I even have to leave the library if people (mostly teenagers) are talking too loud. Its difficult because currently I'm in IT Networking right now, and that of course requires focus, concentration and being able to communicate at the same time. Its difficult for me since I can't switch gears as well, so headphones is a must. I'm considering getting noise canceling headphones, just because urban centers are just getting so...noisy. Oh the trials and tribulations of being really introverted and sensitivity to stimulation.

A: I absolutely love movie soundtracks when writing or need creative thoughts. This includes Zimmer, Horner, John Williams, Glass, Asian ones, Ludovico etc.

B: Electronic, Techno, Beats, Ambience etc to get me into the groove. Depending on my mood I can listen to Brian Eno, Ott, Entheogenic, even more popular ones like Skrillex/Avicii to get me more motivated when my dopamine levels are down (which are sadly more than they need to be).

C: For my poor sleep, I am going to try isotones, binaural beats, ambience, icelandic music, and heck even hypnosis.

For some reasons I'm not a fan of classical too much even though I played violin when younger, weird lol. Great thread, music helps keep me sane! :cool:

#4 MangekyōPeter

• 171 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

I'm in the same ADHD, OST loving group.

Have been listening to mood setting music since like 14. Started with Star Wars and John Williams and quickly saw Danny Elfman on Spiderman, and from there on found all the movie song composers.

Also various Anime OST's and Video Game OST's are also pretty rad.

But yeah, can definitely work better when listening to this.

And also am not a big fan of classical music, even though have also been exposed to it quite a lot, it's still good, just modern OST music seems like a way big of a step up from that.

I also enjoy one's without much vocals.

Chillstep playlists on youtube, as of recent, has also helped with concentration due to it's ambieness, kinda gets a grip on the anxiety that's constantly there at some level.

#5 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2021 - 09:36 PM

real Old classical music only. Mozart etc not the 90s etc music. Music is feminine and the right music helps but wrong music can make it worse. And right music is not up to subjectivness theres an universal object good positive. like I always say most things are subjective to extents. And there are different subjectiveness and one of them is fully subjective other not.

Edited by kurdishfella, 06 September 2021 - 09:39 PM.

#6 Suomi444

• 1 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2023 - 03:36 PM

I prefer listening to calming playlists, they help me focus, I manage to find them mostly on YouTube, so I just download them with Tubidy, and it's pretty convenient for me. You can check out YouTube to find great playlists for work, and it won't take you long to discover the proper mix for work. You can even watch live streams there with music, and I think it's a good option if you won't want to create playlists for work yourself.

#7 Sartac

• 80 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2023 - 03:53 PM

Basically along the same lines as previous posters.

1. "Classical focus" Baroque

2. YT playlists for "hacking" or coding music, basically like chillstep

3. Atmospheric Black Metal

4. Video game OST's, such as RPG soundtracks

5. Yet to try, but LoFi music is recommended by some for focus

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 10:21 PM

I go for classical music or "concentration" tones, like the biaural beats - 40 khz or others.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: music, background

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users