• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Does strength training increase IGF1 and growth hormone?

weightlifting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 InquilineKea

• 773 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:39 AM

And if so, how much does it increase these?
  • dislike x 1

#2 InquilineKea

• Topic Starter
  • 773 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

http://academic.sun....rdi 659 _2_.pdf says yes... as does http://www.repositor...1/10079-001.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15126711 says no..

but what about aerobic exercise?

also..

KRAEMER, W.J.; GORDON, S.E.; FLECK, S.J.; MARCHITELLI, L.J.; MELLO, R.; DZIADOS, J.E.;
FRIEDL, K.; HARMAN, E.; MARESH, C. & FRY, A.C. (1991). Endogenous anabolic hormonal
and growth factor responses to heavy resistance exercise in males and females. International
Journal of Sports Medicine, 112: 228-235.
KRAEMER, W.J.; AGUILERA, B.A.; TERADA, M.; NEWTON, R.U.; LYNCH, J.M.; ROSENDAAL,
G.; McBRIDE, J.M.; GORDON, S.E. & HAKKINEN, K. (1995). Responses of IGF-I to
endogenous increases in growth hormone after heavy-resistance exercise. Journal of Applied
Physiology, 79: 1310-131.
KRAEMER, W.J.; HAKKINEN, K.; NEWTON, R.U.; NINDL, B.C.; VOLEK, J.S.;
McCORMICK, M.; GOTSHALK, L.A.; GORDON, S.E.; FLECK, S.J.; CAMPBELL, W.W.;
PUTUKIAN, M. & EVANS, W.J. (1999). Effects of heavy-resistance training on
hormonal response patterns in younger vs. older men. Journal of Applied Physiology, 87:
982-992. SAJR SPER, 30(2), 2008 Boroujerdi & Rahimi
KRAEMER, R.R.; DURAND, R.J.; ACEVEDO, E.O.; JOHNSON, L.G.; KRAEMER, G.R.; HEBERT,
E.P. & CASTRACANE, V.D. (2004). Rigorous running increases growth hormone and insulinlike growth factor-I without altering ghrelin. Experimental Biology and Medicine, 229: 240-246.
KRAEMER, W.J. & RATAMESS, N.A. (2005). Hormonal responses and adaptations to resistance
exercise and training. Sports Medicine, 335: 339-361.
McCALL, G.E.; BYRNES, W.C.; FLECK, S.J.; DICKINSON, A. & KRAEMER, W.J. (1999). Acute
and chronic hormonal responses to resistance training designed to promote muscle hypertrophy.
Canadian Journal of Applied Physiology, 24: 96-107.

https://www.thieme-c.../s-0030-1267950

After resistance exercise, serum IGF-1 was increased significantly (p<0.01) by 28% in R1 and 16% in R2 compared to pre-exercise levels. Resistance exercise did not increase serum VEGF at any time point.

http://www.hindawi.c...je/2010/452820/

A number of intervention studies have shown increased [1823], decreased [24, 25], or unaltered [26,27] levels of IGF-I after endurance or resistance training. Similarly, many cross-sectional observational studies have examined the association of physical activity with IGF-I levels in the general population; however, their findings have been inconsistent [2832]. Additionally, some reports have shown that circulating levels of IGFBP-1 and IGFBP-3 are also modulated with exercise [23, 33, 34], whereas other groups saw no effects in their levels with moderate-intensity aerobic exercise or strength training [35, 36]. The different responses of IGF axis hormones to the intensity and/or duration of various types of exercise could be the reason why exercise is not necessarily protective against all forms of cancer. Furthermore, it also has been reported that very heavy exercisers demonstrate high mortality ratios for lung, colorectal, and pancreatic cancers [37].

Nindl and Pierce have described in their recent review that the fact that there are studies claiming that both increases and decreases in IGF-I concentrations have beneficial effects on health presents a contradictory situation. Furthermore, they also stated that, even though local IGF-I is consistently up-regulated with both acute and chronic exercises, circulating IGF-I may actually decrease [56]. However, despite lowering IGF-I, the current exercise program would be expected to have beneficial effects on all of these various conditions

Edited by InquilineKea, 22 August 2013 - 06:05 AM.

• dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Griff

• 68 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:52 AM

Hello!

At a minimum for a boost to your hormone production and HGH:

Do a heavy amount of sprints on a field, at a maximum of every 5 to 7 days.

Also, do heavy load on your muscles and system.
An example would be: Pushups that are hard for you, to where you can only do about 5 to 10 and then get exhausted.

So do push ups on your knees, regular, or feet up in the air on the bed or couch; to where you can only do 5 to 10 reps and feel exhausted and really pushing it to the max.

If you follow up heavy sprint cardio or muscle exercises with a:

Strong paleo type sleep, of no light sources + sleeping with no alarm, you should have strong natural hormone production through your sleep.

Best of luck to you, and I will try to add more!
  • dislike x 1
  • Needs references x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weightlifting

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users