• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Best training device for cognition

exercise machine cognition non-substance nootropics brain health fitness exercise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Persona

• Life Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

Hello,

I am currently not doing any exercise.

I am planning to start by getting some exercise machine for home.

Would you be able to advise me with what type of training machine I should start and what regimen I should follow? Anything I can read up on?

I am generally interested in raising my cognition through the physical exercise, however it also must be healthy for the body in general in a long term.

I have done extensive search in this forum and generally read that aerobic exercise is the best.

However, let me put the question this way: I want to invest in a training machine for home. What would you advise me to get as the first one?

Thanks,

Andrey

Edited by Persona, 05 October 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#2 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

I'd say you should start taking power-walks in a park regardless whether you're buying a fitness-machine as well. Being in nature is a recognized booster of well-being and therefore cognition.

Edited by platypus, 06 October 2013 - 05:49 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

I'd second platypus's suggestion. Being outdoors is a big plus, and walking is free.

To address your specific question more directly, there isn't a perfect exercise machine or routine. Something that you enjoy and that challenges you physically will boast the greatest benefit. No matter how great a machine is, if it's a dust-collector it's of no benefit.

That said, I'd suggest looking at the concept 2 rowing machines. They offer a very intense training experience; the harder you pull the harder it is.

Two weaknesses with rowing are, they lack the weight-bearing benefit of resistance (weight) training or walking/jogging/running, and they provide little stimulation to the pectoral muscles of the chest - if that's important to you.

The concept 2 site is loaded with information about their rowers as well as workout protocols: http://www.concept2.com/

There's also a concept 2 forum: http://www.c2forum.com/
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Neal Cullum

• 48 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

What about trying Insanity workout by Shaun T? You don't need any equipment and it's lots of various bodyweight exercises which will train your mind as well as your body. People have had good results from it. Only thing you need to buy is the DVD.
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exercise machine, cognition, non-substance nootropics, brain health, fitness, exercise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users