• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

something just isn't right...

depression cognitive impairment cognitive decline hormonal imbalance mineral deficiency adhd cfs chronic fatigue

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 TheBatman

• 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:44 AM

I've been struggling with some sort of cognitive deficit for about 2 or 3 years now. The best way I've heard to describe it would be brain fog and it has been very impairing and damaging toward my life. I've had issues with my speech, its starting to get a bit messy and I can't ever think of the right words to describe situations. I have the attention span of a 2 year old and I constantly forget advise, instructions, and important things that I need to remember. I have very little energy to do anything, in fact the only thing I've done for the past 2 weeks is go to work, eat, and sleep. When I'm at work I basically struggle to get the minimum amount of effort required. When I sleep I usually wake up a few times in the morning, but I fall back to sleep right away. Recently I switched to eating gluten free and casein free to see if it would help give me more energy. Although it has helped a bit (this being the either the 3rd or 4th week) it hasn't done too much. I've had this depression that comes and goes as a result of me struggling with whatever is going on, but even though the depression comes and goes the fogginess in my head is present 90% of the time. I forget important events in my life as well as things like birthdays for my family members - which has happened to me three times this month. THREE TIMES FOR THREE SEPARATE BIRTHDAYS.

There are loads of examples I could share about how badly my functioning has been cognitively, but I think you get the picture. The only thing I've been diagnosed with ADHD/chronic fatigue syndrome. I've been prescribed adderall that I only use as a crutch(to sort of keep my head above water for when things get bad), but I only think it is covering up the real problem. I fear that if this goes on for too much longer that I'll do something crazy like commit suicide, but I'm not quite to that point yet.

I think I need a more specific diagnoses and I plan on going to the doctor to get a few tests done for issues such as: toxic metals (aluminum, mercury, copper ect.), calcium shell, and other mineral imbalances, bowel issues, adrenal issues and thyroid issues, hypoglycemia, food allergies, deficiencies, viral infections, hormone testing for low T and hypogonadism.

I don't know where else to turn to except here. I'm only 18 I don't know what else to do for help.
  • like x 2

#2 socialpiranha

• 540 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

This is the result of atrophy of the hippocampus...As the hippocampus shrinks, certain types of memory decrease which manifests as poverty of speach, confusion, lack concentration etc. The cause is different in every case but usually stress related. There are lots of things which can help reverse this ,exercise is the main one but just type "increases bdnf in hippocampus" into google and you'll find lots of stuff. I am currently in the process of ordering some 7,8 dihydroxyflavone which has been shown to be extremely effective for this. Pretty much all antidepressants work by increasing bdnf in the hippocampus via glucocorticoid receptors, the problem is all the peripheral effects. The main problem is that as the hippocampus shrinks you kind of sink down into a hole and it's extremely hard to get back out...some people never do...that's why substances which mimic the chemical effects of picking yourself up by the bootstraps can be helpful.
  • like x 3
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

This is the result of atrophy of the hippocampus...As the hippocampus shrinks, certain types of memory decrease which manifests as poverty of speach, confusion, lack concentration etc. The cause is different in every case but usually stress related. There are lots of things which can help reverse this ,exercise is the main one but just type "increases bdnf in hippocampus" into google and you'll find lots of stuff. I am currently in the process of ordering some 7,8 dihydroxyflavone which has been shown to be extremely effective for this. Pretty much all antidepressants work by increasing bdnf in the hippocampus via glucocorticoid receptors, the problem is all the peripheral effects. The main problem is that as the hippocampus shrinks you kind of sink down into a hole and it's extremely hard to get back out...some people never do...that's why substances which mimic the chemical effects of picking yourself up by the bootstraps can be helpful.

This is what I was thinking to some extent, but I'm also trying to find out what has caused this in the first place. Substances like adderall and other antidepressants only mask the problem and help you cope with something. I'm definitely not saying they aren't necessary and I plan on using them, but I'm also trying to find out if the neurotransmitters are out of whack because of a health issue I'm not aware of. In the mean time though I wont let myself sink lower and I'll just take adderall.

Do you know if dihydroxyflavone over the counter in the US?

#4 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

The caudate (a part of the Striatum) is also linked to Memory problems.

Adderall wouldnt help You, if You got a braindamage.
because it damages the brain by it self.

You could try Rhodiola Rosea(inhibits reversibly Mao-a + Mao-b + Compt and thinns a bit the blood)and or Passionflower extract( reversibly Mao-a)

Both are Considered as safe and Rhodiola is as fa as I know adviced for memory disorders
but allways ask for advise Your doctor or a Pharmacist for cases e.g. your are a bleeder or have thinn blood.

If You ask me I would advice to go to a Doctor,
because selfmedication could be very dangerous, You need a lot of knowledge about the contraindications e.g. blood thinning propertys or pollutants (like Pesticides in Chinese Herbs) and many more.

Edited by Flex, 22 December 2013 - 12:20 AM.

• dislike x 3
  • like x 1

#5 socialpiranha

• 540 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:27 AM

This is what I was thinking to some extent, but I'm also trying to find out what has caused this in the first place. Substances like adderall and other antidepressants only mask the problem and help you cope with something. I'm definitely not saying they aren't necessary and I plan on using them, but I'm also trying to find out if the neurotransmitters are out of whack because of a health issue I'm not aware of. In the mean time though I wont let myself sink lower and I'll just take adderall.

Do you know if dihydroxyflavone over the counter in the US?

Be careful with the adderall, it is extremely habit forming and withdrawal can be pretty hellish. 7,8 DHF is a naturally occuring substance so it is totally legal but you won't find it in a drug store or anything i've been trying to source it forever and just finally found a place that will custom synthesize it for me.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#6 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:31 AM

I think in my original post I made it sound as if I've had very little experience with adderall/nootropics, which isn't the case. Thanks for the warning although I've spent an entire year on adderall in the past and quit cold turkey a few months ago. Sucked, but I survived and returned to my preadderall self. Flex its my understanding that amphetamine usage causes slight damage that you can recover from. Also I was sure to use NMDA receptor antagonists(magnesium nightly, as well as DXM on occasion) to maintain the child-sized dose of 5 mg. I never had an issue with tolerance and I think that proves there was little harm done. As far as going to the doctor, it seemed like he knew less about ssri's and stimulants and basic neurochemistry than I do.

Idk just sometimes I wonder if there's something i'm doing wrong in my life, or if there is something wrong with my body. I sort of envy people who don't get depressed or have very happy lives, well maybe just seemingly happy. Either way, I'll keep posting till I cure this depression.

Edited by TheBatman, 22 December 2013 - 06:32 AM.

#7 penisbreath

• Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:21 AM

Adderall wouldnt help You, if You got a braindamage.
because it damages the brain by it self.

Some of the pharmaco-phobia on imminst is ridiculous. Adderall, in normal, controlled doses, won't magically cause brain-damage. Stimulants are occasionally prescribed to stroke victims to assist with recovery.
  • like x 2

#8 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

You could try Rhodiola Rosea(inhibits reversibly Mao-a + Mao-b + Compt and thinns a bit the blood)and or Passionflower extract( reversibly Mao-a)

Both are Considered as safe and Rhodiola is as fa as I know adviced for memory disorders
but allways ask for advise Your doctor or a Pharmacist for cases e.g. your are a bleeder or have thinn blood.

Rhodiola does enhance neurogenesis in hippocampus:
http://www.sciencedi...944711309000798
  • dislike x 1

#9 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

I have taken it before, It wasn't very effective for me though. I'm actually getting to the point where I don't take any herbal/nootropics because they are rarely effective above placebo

I have taken it before, It wasn't very effective for me though. I'm actually getting to the point where I don't take any herbal/nootropics because they are rarely effective above placebo

#10 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

I've also noticed I do an unhealthy amount of thinking. This of course is intensified with an adderall crash..

Anything you guys know of thats good for treating anxiety?

#11 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

If you get your thyroid checked out, they will most likely only check tsh. insist on free t3, free t4, and antibodies (You might want to tell them that you think you have hashimoto's, this should make them do the necessary tests). Otherwise there is no way for a reliable diagnosis, most doc's however think tsh alone is enough. Getting a proper diagnosis would be very important, because all the symptoms you describe could be caused by a hypothyroid disorder. This includes depression/anxiety.

Also, check out the iodine thread in the supplement forum. (But get your lab work done before you do anything that affects the thyroid).

Oh yea, add bromide to your toxin test list. But you may wanna do it in this order: thyroid test, maybe test high dose iodine and selenium, and then do a 24h urine bromide test(because iodine will detoxify you from bromide - if you have lots of it, which could cause these problems too, it should show up in the urine after high dose iodine(plus selenium) If you have very low bromide levels even after following this, bromide is definitely not your problem). There are some labs specialized on this in the us.
  • like x 1

#12 socialpiranha

• 540 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

adderall can be beneficial for sure, but yeah like its use in stroke victims its really only good for enabling a person to get themself to a pont where they no longer need them. In regards to what is actually causing the problem it is whatever is causing stress in your life. stress negatively effects the production of bdnf in the hippocampus and allows it to atrophy. It could be life circumstances or a genetic predisposition towards stress or a combo. in my opinion It is often the reaction of an intelligent mind to the reality of life. This is a strange thing we find ourself in and most people don't allow themselves to fully recognize that...probably because it can be scary and depressing.

Think of stress as a sort of evolutionary punishment for not just focusing on food sex and survival. Once most people feel the sting of the evolutionary whip they give in and join the herd. Religion is the ultimate example, it is considered the opiate of the masses because nothing is a mystery anymore.This is why surrender to god is such a powerful thing, its a decision to give in to the whip. Extraordinary people see the importance of allowing yourself to think about everything even though there is a biological consequence. Imagine your mind being free to go where it wants without the biological consequence, This is what neurogenics could do.

#13 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

Idk just sometimes I wonder if there's something i'm doing wrong in my life, or if there is something wrong with my body. I sort of envy people who don't get depressed or have very happy lives, well maybe just seemingly happy. Either way, I'll keep posting till I cure this depression.

Does depression run in your family?

#14 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

Yeah somewhat on my mom's side.

#15 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

adderall can be beneficial for sure, but yeah like its use in stroke victims its really only good for enabling a person to get themself to a pont where they no longer need them. In regards to what is actually causing the problem it is whatever is causing stress in your life. stress negatively effects the production of bdnf in the hippocampus and allows it to atrophy. It could be life circumstances or a genetic predisposition towards stress or a combo. in my opinion It is often the reaction of an intelligent mind to the reality of life. This is a strange thing we find ourself in and most people don't allow themselves to fully recognize that...probably because it can be scary and depressing.

Think of stress as a sort of evolutionary punishment for not just focusing on food sex and survival. Once most people feel the sting of the evolutionary whip they give in and join the herd. Religion is the ultimate example, it is considered the opiate of the masses because nothing is a mystery anymore.This is why surrender to god is such a powerful thing, its a decision to give in to the whip. Extraordinary people see the importance of allowing yourself to think about everything even though there is a biological consequence. Imagine your mind being free to go where it wants without the biological consequence, This is what neurogenics could do.

I agree, but that is also the problem in my case. For what it's worth I would rather be enjoying the simple world around me then pondering the mysteries of the universe. My brain just thinks on very deep levels that distract me from everyday life. In a weird sort of way, I wish I was dumber. Because then I would be able to forget about things that cause me anxiety or racing thoughts.

I used to have very good social skills, but after taking adderall for a while I became more introverted. Now I find the only way I can be more at ease socially is when I am sleep deprived or with some sort of antianxiety substance.

#16 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:17 AM

In your first post, you say your main issue is cognitive problems... but then you later sort of describe your problem as depression. Do you think the cognitive issues could be a side effect of being depressed?

I remember you chose to not go ahead with the Accutane treatment, as you thought it might be setting off another depressive episode... do you think the Accutane could have been a factor in how you're currently feeling? Although, from your first post, it sounds like you've been dealing with these issues for a while.

Perhaps you have a predisposition to depression/ anxiety (as opposed to e.g., a lifestyle/ dietary/ toxin factor that it causing your mood issues)?

One thing caught my eye in your first post - you mention you feel like you sleep too much (e.g., when you wake in the morning, you often fall back asleep again). I do know that recent research shows that adolescents and young adults do have a greater need for sleep (than older adults, or younger children). A figure I have heard/ read is a requirement of least 9 hours/day sleep to feel fully rested & mentally alert (and much more for some teenagers/ young adults). I've also read that people your age who for various reasons don't get adequate sleep are at greater risk for all sorts of things including **depression**, accidents, mild cognitive impairment, etc. So don't beat yourself up if you feel like you need lots of sleep. Also, if you do have a tendency to depression, it **may** be a good strategy to try and get enough sleep over the long term.

One other thought - Christmas *can* be a depressing time.

Edited by blood, 23 December 2013 - 05:23 AM.

#17 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

In your first post, you say your main issue is cognitive problems... but then you later sort of describe your problem as depression. Do you think the cognitive issues could be a side effect of being depressed?

I remember you chose to not go ahead with the Accutane treatment, as you thought it might be setting off another depressive episode... do you think the Accutane could have been a factor in how you're currently feeling? Although, from your first post, it sounds like you've been dealing with these issues for a while.

Perhaps you have a predisposition to depression/ anxiety (as opposed to e.g., a lifestyle/ dietary/ toxin factor that it causing your mood issues)?

One thing caught my eye in your first post - you mention you feel like you sleep too much (e.g., when you wake in the morning, you often fall back asleep again). I do know that recent research shows that adolescents and young adults do have a greater need for sleep (than older adults, or younger children). A figure I have heard/ read is a requirement of least 9 hours/day sleep to feel fully rested & mentally alert (and much more for some teenagers/ young adults). I've also read that people your age who for various reasons don't get adequate sleep are at greater risk for all sorts of things including **depression**, accidents, mild cognitive impairment, etc. So don't beat yourself up if you feel like you need lots of sleep. Also, if you do have a tendency to depression, it **may** be a good strategy to try and get enough sleep over the long term.

One other thought - Christmas *can* be a depressing time.

I've never been able to tell whether the mood drop/depression causes cognitive problems or the cognitive problems result in mood drop/depression. I feel like it's nearly impossible to accurately draw that line. As depression differs greatly from major depression(I think major depression is a combination of a few different types of depression), I would assume major depression is caused by multiple factors including situational problems, health, and my overall outlook on life, not just some sort mineral deficiency or hormonal imbalance being the overall cause. Sometimes I feel like I could have everything I've ever wanted and still be moody and other times it's not so bad. I guess that is what I mean by mood swings though. My point is there just isn't a whole lot of stability in my life.

I'm sure accutane was a factor, but not a large one. It was more of the fact that I wouldn't be able to cure the acne because of the major mood swings being a bit too much. My acne isn't bad right now, but its not great either. Its not a big concern at the moment though.

Sleep is like my number 1 priority at the right now and i'm about to do a sleep study so that should help shed some light on the situation.

As a side note i'm also going to start using st. johns wort (again) to take the edge off a bit.

Edited by TheBatman, 23 December 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#18 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:15 AM

I've also noticed I do an unhealthy amount of thinking. This of course is intensified with an adderall crash..

Any useful spiritual practice teaches you to deal with psychological issues, but you would need a good teacher if you are currently experiencing clinical depression.

My first go-to technique to recommend would be vipassana meditation (including applied mindfulness), as they foster a perspective of observing the bodily and mental processes, and the simple act of dis-identifying with these processes and seeing them for what they really are (not what the head-voice say they are) make them gradually more manageable.

Starting earnestly with daily practice at your age is the best present you could give yourself as it will change the course of your life for the better. Some people experience very quick results with this, for others it takes longer.

#19 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

Today I took a test about social avoidance and I scored very high in schizoid personality disorder. Reading over the symptoms and mindsets that come with schizoid, it would explain a lot about me....

#20 socialpiranha

• 540 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

Today I took a test about social avoidance and I scored very high in schizoid personality disorder. Reading over the symptoms and mindsets that come with schizoid, it would explain a lot about me....

That might help if it was anything more than a label for a group of symptoms but it's not. To say i'm schizo or whatever just pressures you to identify with a set of symptoms. Even if you don't have certain symptoms in the set, it can make you more likely to experience them because it's more conceivable that you could. In fact fear that you might can precipitate it because fear engages the imagination machine. There is a fine line between imagining something that isn't real and hallucinating something that isn't real. Your ok, it is a natural intelligent reaction to life not a disease.

#21 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:00 AM

That might help if it was anything more than a label for a group of symptoms but it's not. To say i'm schizo or whatever just pressures you to identify with a set of symptoms. Even if you don't have certain symptoms in the set, it can make you more likely to experience them because it's more conceivable that you could. In fact fear that you might can precipitate it because fear engages the imagination machine. There is a fine line between imagining something that isn't real and hallucinating something that isn't real. Your ok, it is a natural intelligent reaction to life not a disease.

You're right I shouldn't put a label on myself. I'm just looking for a more specific diagnosis though because I can't seem to get one from my doctor. Whenever I get an appointment with him, it's only for about 10 min and he wont stop talking long enough for me to tell him whats going on. I have no clue if I have just depression, depression and adhd, a personality disorder, or anything else. I need an accurate diagnosis before I can do anything.

Should I just say screw it and get a referral to a psychologist?

#22 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:05 AM

Any useful spiritual practice teaches you to deal with psychological issues, but you would need a good teacher if you are currently experiencing clinical depression.

My first go-to technique to recommend would be vipassana meditation (including applied mindfulness), as they foster a perspective of observing the bodily and mental processes, and the simple act of dis-identifying with these processes and seeing them for what they really are (not what the head-voice say they are) make them gradually more manageable.

Starting earnestly with daily practice at your age is the best present you could give yourself as it will change the course of your life for the better. Some people experience very quick results with this, for others it takes longer.

I'm open to the idea, but i'm not sure I have the money to do something like this

#23 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:24 AM

Meditation is free.. pirate an ebook at most.

#24 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:34 AM

Meditation is free.. pirate an ebook at most.

What kind of meditation did you have in mind?

#25 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:59 AM

The only meditation I know of that costs money is Transcendental Meditation, which to me is indicative of fraudulent activity.
Vipassana is fine; you don't need a teacher to learn it, though teachings can be useful. These can be derived from writings, which generally speaking are free.

#26 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

I'm open to the idea, but i'm not sure I have the money to do something like this

The necessary tools are all on the web.

For intense practice a meditation retreat is preferable, but daily meditation and mindfulness can be practiced in daily life, and cost nothing. A basic meditation method is really simple to learn (but can be a true challenge to master). Some people have a natural knack for it and progress quickly, for others it requires more effort, but whichever group one belongs to, the key to progress is daily practice, and most people notice tangible benefits to their daily life after a month of daily practice. Just 10 minutes per day of sitting meditation and micro-breaks of mindfulness every day really make a difference.

There are quite a few teachers who offer advice online for free via Skype, forums or email. Others charge money. Within the framework of Buddhism, the dhamma (the teaching) should be offered free, with the meditators donating what they can. This is difficult in Western society especially considering that many of the teachers are not monks, but laypeople who teach meditation/mindfulness for a living. But there are exceptions.

I usually recommend people to start off by watching Jon Kabat-Zinn's Google talk on Mindfulness, available on YouTube. It includes a guided meditation. His 'Mindful Way Through Depression' series contain a handful of guided meditation and easy yoga exercises.

You can learn one form of Vipassana meditation from http://www.dharmaove.../wiki/Main/MCTB .

Another one, the most well-known Vipassana meditation method in the West, is the one introduced and transmitted by S.N. Goenka. One typically learns this method by taking a 10-day retreat. However, I would not recommend an intense Goenka retreat to somebody who is not in reasonably good mental balance already, as the retreats are quite strict.

#27 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

You're right I shouldn't put a label on myself. I'm just looking for a more specific diagnosis though because I can't seem to get one from my doctor. Whenever I get an appointment with him, it's only for about 10 min and he wont stop talking long enough for me to tell him whats going on. I have no clue if I have just depression, depression and adhd, a personality disorder, or anything else. I need an accurate diagnosis before I can do anything.

Should I just say screw it and get a referral to a psychologist?

Just for clarification:
You need to go to a Psychiatrist in this case, because he is responsible for Depression, Psychosis, Drug dependence and Brain damage, which could be also reffered to a Neurologist (see Wikipedia)

So if You ask me, Yes! its never a bad idea to go to a Specialist, its his profession after all.

Edited by Flex, 01 January 2014 - 10:07 AM.

#28 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:55 AM

I have a doctors appointment tomorrow. i'll ask him about it!

#29 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:59 AM

My doctor put me on Wellbutrin and it made my anxiety go through the roof. I also experienced some short term memory issues and I don't think I'm going to continue taking it.

Right now I am wondering if the sleep issues i've been having are related to the melatonin I've been taking nightly. I've always considered 3-5 mg a night to be ok, but I think it might be harming me. Maybe that's the reason I wake up so many times during the night. I hadn't realized I'd been taking it for nightly for almost a year! I wonder if too much melatonin can indirectly cause depression, any thoughts?

edit: I found this thread over at Mind and Muscle... http://www.mindandmu...-confirmed-guys

Edited by TheBatman, 05 January 2014 - 07:07 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

Is your melatonin instant or sustained release? Some people get a rebound awakening effect with instant release, and they may do better on a sustained release product. Of course, some folks on this forum would insist that 3-5 mg/ night is too much, and advocate for e.g., 300 mcg/ night.

I cannot sleep without melatonin. I take a 2.5 or 3 mg sub-lingual lozenge at dusk (dissolving it very slowly by wedging it under my upper lip). Then, just prior to bed I'll take a 5 mg Sustained release (Natrol) to last me through the night.
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, cognitive impairment, cognitive decline, hormonal imbalance, mineral deficiency, adhd, cfs, chronic fatigue

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users